S04:E01+02 - Princess Twilight Sparkle

Yellow Diamond

597 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I guess the weakest parts of the episode were the Zecora and her Deus ex machina as well as the small parts where The man 5 are alone after convincing Twilight to leave. Other than that. This episode was quite enjoyable though I think everyone is giving this two parter a bit too much credit. (mostly the more popular brony reviewers/analyzers most of which gave it a near perfect or perfect scores.)

I personally give this two parter an 79/100

I guess the weakest parts of the episode were the Zecora and her Deus ex machina

why is that potion such a Problem? it as just some random thing that moved the plot along not unlike twilights Deus ex machine spell's that she casts one to solve some problem and never again.

why is that potion such a Problem? it as just some random thing that moved the plot along not unlike twilights Deus ex machine spell's that she casts one to solve some problem and never again.

Twlight's spells are the Sonic Screwdriver of MLP. There ids no problem it/they can't solve.

The reason why the potion is a problem to me (and most other bronies because a lot of people mention this in their reviews on the episode) is because it is a Deus ex machinia device. Zeceora just shows with a potion that just so happens to be what Twilight needs to set the plot into motion. It's even more confusing that the potion only reacts to Alicorn magic (though Twilight uses dark magic for some reason)

The reason why the potion is a problem to me (and most other bronies because a lot of people mention this in their reviews on the episode) is because it is a Deus ex machinia device. Zeceora just shows with a potion that just so happens to be what Twilight needs to set the plot into motion. It's even more confusing that the potion only reacts to Alicorn magic (though Twilight uses dark magic for some reason)

also known as a contrived-coincidence

I think I need to ask the proper question. what is so bad if not overused in a series with a contrived coincidence ?

You remember what Zecora said in fact hits that she herself could use it but the results would be tragic. like say Zecora could use it to see into the past but at the cost of here eyesight. and that alicorn magic rendered it safe. that would at least explain why she even has the silly potion.

I think I need to ask the proper question. what is so bad if not overused in a series with a contrived coincidence ?

No I think many people just didn't like it because it felt like lazy writing on the staff's part. I mean to me; it would've been cooler if Celestia had something that could let someone go into her flash back past (a memory/flashback orb) and then the sequence could play out like normally. Or even Discord could've done that much. I don't know I just feel like arguing over very minuscule things right now so fire away :D

Not to mention after that scene Zecora is never seen or heard from again.

I didn't mind that part so much. After all, Zecora is already established to have a potion for every occasion, as "The Cutie Pox" showed us. Nor is it the first time Zecora was used as a convenient plot device, like in "Magic Duel". As for "only alicorn magic can make it work", that might have been the writers' way of tying events into Twilight's new alicorn status. Clumsy, perhaps, but understandable. I'm with you on the dark magic question, though. That was genuinely confusing, although I hope it gets explained later in the Season.

Edited by SolarFox

Yeah that whole potion/dark magic bit threw me for a loop, I mean does it basically say now that the magic Sombra used is alicorn magic or what? Good premiere, but various problems and plot holes that made the episode somewhat confusing.

These episodes were absolutely amazing. Second best two-parter without a doubt. And what do these two-parters have in common? DISCORD!!! :umad:

I am so glad that his redemption didn't lead to an end of his mischievous ways. He was my favorite villain, and I'll admit that KCaFO had me a little worried, but it turns out I didn't have anything to worry about at all. :P

Another great thing about these episodes? Zecora making Twilight take an acid trip. Zecora's flashback potion. Although they made the battles seem a little short, the fact we actually got to see them was great! That was definitely one of the biggest things on my MLP episode wish list.

On a more minor note, it was really nice to see Applejack actually have a role in something. The poor girl just doesn't get enough attention.

I hath returned, in order to make some points regarding something that honestly should have hit me sooner, regarding a statement I made during Discord's scene of initial imprisonment.

26:02 Hmm, well I must admit that's a bit of downer :c There is no fight, it's the same exact, way-too-quick way he was defeated later on by Twi and friends. Nightmare Moon gets a fight scene, but Discord doesn't? Sounds like not enough time in the episode, need to focus on the Luna bit' is the cuplerate, I suspect. Ah well. I can imagine there was an epic fight if I want to, damnit. The flashbacks do seem to get shorter and shorter, going into rapid succession with no breaks, after all. It could skip some, for all we kno

• Brohoof 3

I'm gonna make a wild guess here, (saying that others haven't already said the same. I'm not looking through 42 pages to find it though) when Luna says there's six keys for this chest (and conveniently six mane characters), does anyone else get the feeling it's going to go something like: The Keys of Harmony. The Key of Magic, the Key of Loyalty, etc. I dunno. Like I said. Wild guess. I could totally see that though.

What are those freaking plants though? They creep me out seriously. Does any pony out there have any ideas on what the chest might contain? I'm bursting with anticipation!

(trollface) When they finally gather up all the keys and open the chest, a couple of big spring-snakes are going to go "SPROING!" out of it, and everyone's going to go "Well, that was pointless." ;) (/trollface)

I liked the episode. It was fun, but NOT what I expected at all.

I mean, in the trailer, they show Nightmare moon showing up,

Yet they make it all a FLASHBACK.

Is anyone else kinda ticked that they didn't bring her back?

Luna is my favourite character, I Just wanted ONE more episode all about her... -_-

Yet Hasbro does THIS to me... Or us, whatever. T-T

I liked the episode. It was fun, but NOT what I expected at all.

I mean, in the trailer, they show Nightmare moon showing up,

Yet they make it all a FLASHBACK.

Is anyone else kinda ticked that they didn't bring her back?

Luna is my favourite character, I Just wanted ONE more episode all about her... -_-

Yet Hasbro does THIS to me... Or us, whatever. T-T

Two points:

First, what purpose would it have served to bring Nightmare Moon back in the present?  That would have been a big backslide for Luna, and counter to the character she's developed in the last couple seasons.  I don't think there would have been a good narrative purpose in doing that here.

And second, just because they only gave Luna a couple of cameos and a flashback doesn't mean they're not going to have an episode devoted to her sometime later.  We only know a relative few of the plots they have in store for us this season, and there are still 22 episodes to go. :)

It was a great surprise for me, even though I was hyped they still got to impress me with the promise of a little arch through the entire season and not just at the season opener and finale. They settled the backgroud scenario of the History of Equestria quite nicely and very respectful with the assumptions made by the fandom. Also, lotsa Discord <3<3<3

This is gonna be a gooooood season :3

For me, it personally reminded me of DBZ a bit. Like when nightmare moon and celestia were fighting! Even the laser beam battle reminded me of a kamehameha battle. But it was a good 2 part episode for me. 8/10

This episode was AWESOME!!!

I thought it was amazing that they showed the backstory's about Nightmare Moon and Discord. B)

And the Tree of Harmony was pretty awesome to but its to bad that they had to give there elements to The Tree to restore, Ponyville back to the way it was. :(

This episode was AWESOME!!!

I thought it was amazing that they showed the backstory's about Nightmare Moon and Discord. B)

And the Tree of Harmony was pretty awesome to but its to bad that they had to give there elements to The Tree to restore, Ponyville back to the way it was. :(

I'm actually glad they no longer have the Elements of Harmony. It was becoming the answer to everything.