S04:E01+02 - Princess Twilight Sparkle

Yellow Diamond

597 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

no more tasting the rainbow for the bad ponies. OOOO locked box. I still pray that the keys will show up before the two part end of the season. Unless and Only if they plan on the keys being a multi season thing.

As much as I liked the flashback with NMM and Celestia. It was pretty much pointless. It didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know.

it was good because it was a form of introduction to the show for anyone who just started watching the show.

it was good because it was a form of introduction to the show for anyone who just started watching the show.

I don't think so. I think the scene was made more to showcase the capability of the season's animation. While it's good it just didn't add anything to the episode.

Has Discord really been reformed :okiedokielokie: ................................................................................... (I hope not XD)

He's more or less neutral.

He may not be evil but he still likes to get his kicks in while helping to others in his own devious ways. I still love him for that!

I had some grim expectations coming into Season 4. I really didn't know what to expect - A long hiatus and a movie that made me cringe...I honestly thought this season would bomb and that'd be the end of it. However, I was VERY pleasantly surprised by this opening to the season, and I enjoyed every last second of it. My interest in ponies and the communities surrounding it was dwindling, but this episode has brought me back to full-on "Ponies on my Mind" adoration of these pastel-coloured miniature equines. Definitely worth the long wait, especially as there are still over 20 episodes to go!

I honestly think that the creators are putting too much attention to Twilight. They should at least make something awesome to the others because to me its unfair that TS gets wings and stuff. How about her friends? They helped her in very important quests! Maybe give Pinkie Pie and Apple Jack wings or a unicorn horn? It will make it seem a little more fair. :) Just saying.

He's more or less neutral.

He may not be evil but he still likes to get his kicks in while helping to others in his own devious ways. I still love him for that!

I think Discord is still getting used to this idea of friendship, but of course he'd never admit it.  He's still a trickster, through and through, but he also sees value in actually being good.  I personally thought he made a great appearance in this episode - he managed to maintain elements of his chaotic-neutral self while at the same time actually HELPING the Mane 6 for a change, and he had a good point about teaching Twilight a lesson about her princesshood. :)

The one thing I'm a bit troubled by with him is that Fluttershy seems to be more interested in using her "friendship" with Discord as a means to control him rather than to actually be friends with him.  I'm hoping at some point in the season they'll expound more on true friendship between them, as opposed to simply her going "Well, if you want to remain FRIENDS with me, you'll do as I say..."

I honestly think that the creators are putting too much attention to Twilight. They should at least make something awesome to the others because to me its unfair that TS gets wings and stuff. How about her friends? They helped her in very important quests! Maybe give Pinkie Pie and Apple Jack wings or a unicorn horn? It will make it seem a little more fair. :) Just saying.

I'm not sure I agree on this.  Twilight has always been the "main" character of the series - it's largely (but not entirely) told through her eyes.  And the first three seasons were mostly about the lessons SHE learned on her way toward becoming a princess, whether that was her original intent or not.  So now that she's reached that point in her life, and she's ascended to a position of power, authority and responsibility, I think it's fitting that there be some emphasis on how she's adapting to this new life of hers and how it affects her friendships with the rest of the Mane 6.  I had come out of Season 3 saying that there was a lot of opportunity for many new lessons to be learned here, and for all of the characters to grow as they cope with change and deal with the fact that they are no longer inherently equal.

So far, I think the writers are doing a decent job on that.  The first two episodes established both that Twilight now has true authority as a princess, and that she can still maintain her friendships.  And the third episode helped to bring the Mane 6 back together in general, and also introduced the replacement for Celestia's letters.  Whether their execution is that great or not, the writers are at least maintaining the overall formula that has worked for them thus far.  I have mixed feelings about the quality of these episodes, but they at least haven't jumped the shark yet, IMO.

• Brohoof 1

I think Discord is still getting used to this idea of friendship, but of course he'd never admit it.  He's still a trickster, through and through, but he also sees value in actually being good.  I personally thought he made a great appearance in this episode - he managed to maintain elements of his chaotic-neutral self while at the same time actually HELPING the Mane 6 for a change, and he had a good point about teaching Twilight a lesson about her princesshood. :)

The one thing I'm a bit troubled by with him is that Fluttershy seems to be more interested in using her "friendship" with Discord as a means to control him rather than to actually be friends with him.  I'm hoping at some point in the season they'll expound more on true friendship between them, as opposed to simply her going "Well, if you want to remain FRIENDS with me, you'll do as I say..."

I'm not sure I agree on this.  Twilight has always been the "main" character of the series - it's largely (but not entirely) told through her eyes.  And the first three seasons were mostly about the lessons SHE learned on her way toward becoming a princess, whether that was her original intent or not.  So now that she's reached that point in her life, and she's ascended to a position of power, authority and responsibility, I think it's fitting that there be some emphasis on how she's adapting to this new life of hers and how it affects her friendships with the rest of the Mane 6.  I had come out of Season 3 saying that there was a lot of opportunity for many new lessons to be learned here, and for all of the characters to grow as they cope with change and deal with the fact that they are no longer inherently equal.

So far, I think the writers are doing a decent job on that.  The first two episodes established both that Twilight now has true authority as a princess, and that she can still maintain her friendships.  And the third episode helped to bring the Mane 6 back together in general, and also introduced the replacement for Celestia's letters.  Whether their execution is that great or not, the writers are at least maintaining the overall formula that has worked for them thus far.  I have mixed feelings about the quality of these episodes, but they at least haven't jumped the shark yet, IMO.

*shrugs* eh its my opinion :P

*shrugs* eh its my opinion :P

Never said it wasn't. Was just expressing my own and explaining why I felt differently. I really hope people aren't just assuming that every time I write something here, it's to tell them "I'm right and you're wrong." That's not it at all.

It was a Twiboomm

I don't know but it was a bit unnecessary.

Oddly enough, that sound barrier that Twilight broke prooves alot in the show. Like:

Any winged pony can break the sound barrier. 

Whenever a pony breaks the sound barrier, an element of their cutie mark is displayed at the begining.

Any winged pony can break the sound barrier. 

I feel like she just created the starburst using her magic and just happened to be flying somewhat quickly though it. 

I'm not sure if anyone else has said this yet, but when Twilight does her sonic whatever-boom at the end, the look on her face right before she takes off is as though she's figuring out the timing of the boom. She pulls it off right between the moon setting and the sun rising - at twilight.

That was the one thing that trips me up a bit in the episode sadly, Discord may have had a hand in helping Twilight learn one of her lessons on her new position as a princess but he seemed to have taken it in stupid and crazy way that makes me still wry of him and the other tricks he probably has up his sleeves still. He was pretty great in the episode but I'm still not trusting him completely since the whole shenanigan with the seeds of doom attacking Equestria was all his doing 1000 years ago before his first imprisonment. Just this once, I'll give him the benefit of a doubt since he did do some good in it and he did do his part in saving the entire land from being lost forever but if he gets up to his old self again, I'm never trusting him again. :unsure:

And about Fluttershy, I totally agree with you on that one. I think she is just using her friendship with him as a method of control over him which somehow didn't really help matters either in keeping the chaos-crazed Discord in his place despite his intentions, both good and bad. In my mind, I think she doesn't fully know that despite her efforts, chaos couldn't be fully reformed since it doesn't rely on either light or darkness and is definitely a wild card in life, which Discord can be either a force of good or a force of evil. Just like you, I'm really hoping for an episode, two-parter or at least a trilogy centered around them so that Fluttershy and Discord can learn the TRUE meaning of friendship instead of her spitting out orders and threats to dismiss the bond between them to maintain his good image, which I think probably the rest of Equestria are still getting on with in the beginning stages in my case. She needs to learn that just because Discord is now a good guy thanks to her doesn't mean that he's going to fully be friends with her and the others. :ph34r:

img-2028074-1-derpy_emoticon1.png Ooooo, that new opening!!!  I like, I like a lot, especially Luna in the throne room with Celestia! img-2028074-2-vsTALhM.png

Also, wow, they retconned her being able to fly HARD!!!!!!!! img-2028074-3-happy.png

About the whole flying hard thing, she seemed to have no problem in the season 3 finally. Also, I was right on my prediction. Everything was not going to be just great.