S04:E01+02 - Princess Twilight Sparkle

Yellow Diamond

597 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

These two were an awesome start to a new season, I loved every minute of it. Gave a bit of story as well, with the banishment of Luna and Discord being turned to stone. The seeds and the six keys, the tree of elements.. Wow, season four is going to be so awesome, so far it is very promising.

I really liked the Crocodile, new creature for us to draw and the plants would be interesting to draw as well.. I feel so happy right now!

I think the episodes were pretty good considering they weren't written by Lauren Faust. 

There was something in the pace of the story I didn't like but I can't figure out what...and some stuff was just...meh...like sending Twilight away and such. I really liked the flashbacks thought.

Still, I wish Lauren would still write at least the first 2 episodes of each season :<

I agree the pacing felt a bit off right there, but regardless I did like this episode. Everyone felt in character to me and Discord was just awesome. Dark magic also made a return so that may be a hint to Sombra.

• Brohoof 1

SPOILER

I really don't like her new crown. 

but I diiiiiiiiiiiid like how everything else went, wonderful way to transition into ne things and SO MANY QUESTIONS I want answered! Bravo!

Edited by Apparatus
  • Brohoof 1

They did it...they really did it...this was even more awesome than I could have imagined! Flashback to Nightmare Moon's banishment, more Discord, superb animation quality AND possibly a season long arc?! Yes!

I'm gonna have to watch the episodes again once they hit youtube since my stream derped before I can make a full review, but I can honestly say that was well worth the wait!

• Brohoof 1

Well that was a weird twist at the end. But I liked the starter episodes. It was very entertaining and I laughed a couple of times. Discord was pretty funny. I must say that I really liked that you got to see the whole story with Luna and Celestia plus some other things from the past. However, the whole episode was a bit rushed and I'm not a big fan of the star boom thingy in the end. But whatever, it was a good start anyways :)

Interesting. I liked the twist, I thought Discord would be the villain here! (But that was 1000's of Equestrian years ago...)

Discord was the villain. But it wasn't in the present; it was in the past.

Character portrayal was very big to me going into these episodes.

I think they did GREAT with Discord and AJ. I was a little worried about both of these, especially the former when I heard he was going to be in there, but they nailed it.

Twi, Fluttershy, and RD were right at my expectations.

I'm probably going to be a little pickier with Rarity, but she did fail to meet my hopes, for sure. However, my expectations were different, but I was still a bit disappointed in her portrayal overall. Nothing to get worked up over, though biggrin.png

Now, in part 1, Pinkie Pie wasn't very good, IMO. They sorta overdid her already extreme personality. But, in Part 2, she was a-ok. smile.png

As for the episode as a whole....it was amazing! biggrin.png Loved it. I was so nervous going into it, but I'm so relieved. blush.png Can't wait for next episode. :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 2

At this moment, I am disappointed with it. I will rewatch it when I am less tired and grumpy and see if my opinion changes. Right now it just felt like a giant excuse to show the history of Celestia and Luna and get rid of the EoH in one episode to get it out of the way. 

Edited by Emperor Posh
  • Brohoof 2

Now that's a thought XD. What about the keys? Where do you guys think they are?

I'm gonna go out on a whim here, and say this tree has got to be ancient. I would possibly assume these keys were put away, possibly, by Celestia and Luna's parents. And sprawled well throughout Equestria. Maybe one in the castle.. One in the old castle... Probably one in Saddle Arabia. Vastly spread.

I have a few theories about the show. Don't read if you haven't watched yet, so spoiler alert.

The whole "Everfree Forest attacking Ponyville" thing reminded me a lot of the Birnam Wood marching to Dunsinane Castle in Macbeth.

Do you think this was intentional? I think either it's paying homage to the play or it's just inspired by it. Heck, even the way they introduce the invasion is a lot like Macbeth!

MLP: "(Royal Guard) Your highness, the Everfree Forest is...invading Ponyville!"

Macbeth: "(Messenger) As I did stand my watch upon the hill, I look'd toward Birnam, and anon, methought, the wood began to move."

Well I enjoyed the episode. It gave some interesting backstorys, the humor was top notch and the animation looked like it improved well.

For me Discord was the highlight, especially the part where he was in the shower.

Also that box it's gonna play an important role somewhere lets just hope it's not like an embarrassing snapshot of twilight from the Christmas party or .

Well that was a weird twist at the end. But I liked the starter episodes. It was very entertaining and I laughed a couple of times. Discord was pretty funny. I must say that I really liked that you got to see the whole story with Luna and Celestia plus some other things from the past. However, the whole episode was a bit rushed and I'm not a big fan of the star boom thingy in the end. But whatever, it was a good start anyways smile.png

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't really like Twilight doing that.. To me it felt like she was showing off which was kind of bad.

Maybe if it was combined with Rainbow Dash's Sonic Rainboom it would've been more plausible but I guess we will just have to live with The newest thing. The TwiBoom

I agree the pacing felt a bit off right there, but regardless I did like this episode. Everyone felt in character to me and Discord was just awesome. Dark magic also made a return so that may be a hint to Sombra.

Yes indeed, it kinda felt like a lesson on Pony History thanks to the flashbacks.

And I agree, Discord was awesome but afterall he always it.  wub.png

(And I got to see my bost beloved Nightmare Moon <3 altought she looked like the living "inponyfication" of a Death Star).

Edited by Aisling Ink

Ahem, we were promised a new villain and there are still a lot of unanswered questions about twilicorn. Aside from these two gripes it was still a good intro, Discord was hilarious as usual and seeing the origin of the elements of harmony was indeed welcome.

• Brohoof 1

Well that's the premier.

I'll do some reflecting, but there was a lot of it that I didn't particularly like.  The scene of Twilight leaving Everfree and coming back felt terribly contrived and should've been edited out.  And Equestria hasn't discovered anything new, apparently, as this great catastrophe was just a reflection from the past.  Still not clear how the alliance of Discord+Mane6+EoH+Tree of Harmony+Crystal Heart+Crystal Empire+Equestrian army+three other alicorns can be rivaled.

Nor have we learned why Twilight was coronated and why she was at that specific time.  The premier was not all that dark, to be honest.  The only thing we got is the six key box, which will end the Season and, I fear, the show itself.

So, sure, the premier was anticlimactic, but that's because the season itself will continue the premier's storyline.

Edited by Starswirl the Trixie
  • Brohoof 2

I missed some parts of this episode so I'm confused and I'll have to rewatch it over again in a few hours; From what I saw though, that was freaking amazing. :D I can't believe they were so edgy and they did a brilliant job. All my fears and worries are gone for season four.. :)

I think the episodes were pretty good considering they weren't written by Lauren Faust.

What do you mean by this exactly? You know Lauren Faust only wrote the very first two episodes in season 1, right?

• Brohoof 1