S04:E01+02 - Princess Twilight Sparkle

Yellow Diamond

597 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

The Mane 5 going into the Everfree Forest without Twilight (sending her away) has me suspect Discord mind controlled the former.  It seems he wanted them and Fluttershy:yeahno: to be doomed to those threats.  He could have gotten rid of those vines back when season 3 was over at anytime.  Not helping that Twilight is crying with Discord there.  The animation is an improvement.  

• 3 months later...

This episode features the famous Twilicane - enough said :)

It's a good episode and I had fun watching it. I really liked that show tried to show Twilis efforts to learn flying. This gives the show some depth in my opinion.

What I really enjoyed in this episode were flashbacks where we got some backstory. I always appreciate backstory but here we could experience it first hoof.

But I've got also one important question: Where is this belt fixated? :mustache:

• 2 years later...

I guess this is more of a question than an opinion, so if this section isn't where it belongs, my apologies.  It's about Element colors.

So, in the book in the S1 opening, the Elements are depicted as being a Purple Star Gem, a Red Gem, an Orange Gem, a Green Gem, a Pink Gem, and a Light Blue Gem

But in S4 E1 and 2, in Twilight's flashbacks, there is no Green Gem.  Instead, there's an Indigo looking one.

And it seems by color, before they changed shape when wielded by the Mane 6

Purple = Magic

Orange = Honesty

Light Blue = Laughter

Red = Loyalty

Pink = Kindness

So I guess the last one is Generosity, but was it supposed to be Green, or Indigo?

It seems to only be Green in the book, in all other instances, it would appear to be the Indigo one.

So is this an animation error or did the Element change color somehow?

Or am I just overthinking this?

3 hours ago, Silky The Smoll said:

Yaaaas ;~; 

That meme got big for absolutely no reason. Almost a decade later and I'm still unsure as to why that just exploded. 

Interesting story, but after that episode came out I posted the clip of the Luna and Celestia fight to my YouTube channel and it is still my most viewed video at almost 400k views.

31 minutes ago, Not_A_Replicant said:

That meme got big for absolutely no reason. Almost a decade later and I'm still unsure as to why that just exploded. 

Interesting story, but after that episode came out I posted the clip of the Luna and Celestia fight to my YouTube channel and it is still my most viewed video at almost 400k views.

Gosh .. it was just really fun times. Random gags and meaningful memories :( like that inside joke between two close friends that makes no sense to anyone else lol 

it doesn’t help that the scepter looked so DERPY despite twilight always being so proper and intelligent. 

Holy crow!! 400k views?! Go you!!

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-09-03 at 8:46 PM, Ephemeral Radiance said:

I guess this is more of a question than an opinion, so if this section isn't where it belongs, my apologies.  It's about Element colors.

So, in the book in the S1 opening, the Elements are depicted as being a Purple Star Gem, a Red Gem, an Orange Gem, a Green Gem, a Pink Gem, and a Light Blue Gem

But in S4 E1 and 2, in Twilight's flashbacks, there is no Green Gem.  Instead, there's an Indigo looking one.

And it seems by color, before they changed shape when wielded by the Mane 6

Purple = Magic

Orange = Honesty

Light Blue = Laughter

Red = Loyalty

Pink = Kindness

So I guess the last one is Generosity, but was it supposed to be Green, or Indigo?

It seems to only be Green in the book, in all other instances, it would appear to be the Indigo one.

So is this an animation error or did the Element change color somehow?

Or am I just overthinking this?

Okay, so maybe Magic was just a Purple Gem originally, and not a Purple STAR Gem?

Again, very confused.

So 

Magic - Purple Gem or Purple STAR Gem?

Generosity - Green Gem or Indigo Gem?

Book's Illustration

image.png.6456d9dc017f9b3ee0de33d948cfa19d.png

Celestia using Elements

image.thumb.png.40efd3cc240faa016743f55df3087f0b.png

(Note there is no green gem here)

So, my question remains.

Animation / Illustration error or intentional?

• 1 month later...

This was a good season opener but it doesn't explain why the seeds decided to start sprouting up at this point in time. The revelation of the Tree of Harmony was interesting to say the least, it's a shame there wasn't an explanation as to why the tree came to be (and I personally don't consider the Pillars planting the tree to be canon, has to be something more than that to me). Discord in these who episodes is hilarious. Plus the Twily cane just is perfect! 

• 3 weeks later...

Welp, Twilight's really a princess now, I guess. When I first saw this episode I had trouble enjoying the new design of my favorite little unicorn. I've grown to like it, but it took a lot of time.

Discords up to shenanigans again, and this is the kind I like. He's not evil per say, but he's still messing with Twilight and the gang because he definitely knows where the vines comes from. But noooooo, he play the innocent card until the very end. It's pretty good.

Zecora and her magical potion are back at it again, saving the day by making Twilight hallucinate the past. As always, bonus point for world building, and seeing the Princesses back a thousand years, and how Nightmare Moon was born was really interesting. I also like seeing them defeat Discord, it really establishes why those two are the rulers of the land.

The girls had to give up the elements of harmony, a really important piece of their power, but not their friendship. They get a mysterious box that serve as the overall Mcguffin of the season. I wish more season had a season long plot that develops as we advance in, but it's kind of a high bar for a kids show I guess.

8+0.5/10, bonus point for the flashbacks.