Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old do ponies live to be?

Lady Rarity Pony

Obviously they can die or all the near-death escapes wouldn't mean anything.

Regarding Granny Smith, clearly in The Cutie Mark Chronicles she is a lot more spry than now, as young Applejack muses that she and Big Mac would be applebucking their way through the red delicious, which you can't imagine the Granny Smith of today being able to do

They probably just don't age much noticeable from young adult to late middle age, until old age sets in.

80 would work, looking at the generational gaps, assuming the cutie mark comes around 12 or so, and the Mane Six are 20-24 ish. There are then the older grown up ponies, then the old as in Granny Smith. I reckon here's not much physical change from being a young adult to being in late middle age, and only in real old age do they begin to get decrepit.

Is it the same for all makes of pony? Obviously its not for the alicorns, but maybe the unicorns live longer than earth ponies too?

• 2 months later...

Luna and Celestia must've had parents once in their lifespans, otherwise how would they be where they are now? Unless they were "born" by some other means, but they must still have had somepony to take care of them whne they were young.

As for regular ponies, since Granny Smith was rather old when AJ was still a young filly, they must have a lifespan slightly longer than the one of humans.

Is this some kind of Celestian religion stuff? I don't believe in anything like that. lol

Edited by AKAMrWobbels

Of course they are mortal, but cartoons are known to have an incredible resistance to everything, from falling kilometers, to having anvils and pianos dropped in their heads, to surving having a bomb explode in their faces, or being completely burnt.

I still don't get how the hell will Rainbow Dash manage to get injured in the episode when she starts reading.

But yeah, they must die of old age, otherwise the ancient ponies we have seen in some episodes would still be around

Everypony can't be immortals. How would the world have enough space if the population kept growing, but no one died? The moon would eventually get crowded too...

Anyway, it's a show targeted for little kids. The ponies may not live forever, but of course they won't let them age as long as the show runs.

Edited by Nordica

Far too much of the series is set up to rely on long-lived ponies for their lifespans to be shorter than human lifespans, so they live at least human-length lifespans.

I've heard arguments in favor of super long lived ponies, such as Granny Smith being 300 years old or more, but while I suppose I could see that working, I'm not about to assume it without more evidence.

So yes, human length-lifespans are what I assume until we get some definite proof otherwise.

I don't know for sure, but if Granny Smith is anything to go by, she was about the same age as the Mane 6 are now when she helped her family start what would become Ponyville. That was at least 100 years before the start of the series, so we know that it is at least somewhere in the hundreds for earth ponies. Edited by super muffin derpy506

Well, considering that the show said that Ponyville is hundreds of years old, and Grannysmith was a filly when Ponyville was founded, Grannysmith is over 200 years old. So, if Granny smith is the equivalent of a hundred year old person in terms of physical condition, and Grannysmith is 200 years old, then ponies live twice as long as people. As for people saying that Celestia and Luna are immortal, I don't see any basis for that. Sure they must have be able to live for thousands of years, but forever? Forever is an awful long time.