Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Spike still stay with Twilight?

A Talking Dragon

There should be an episode with that as the lesson. A GOOD Spike episode. I've always wanted to see their relationship explored with a little more depth.

Maybe there are other rules to the "Dragon Honour Code" we've yet to learn of. He believed in it enough to ask to leave Twilight's service at least temporarily. 

• Brohoof 1

I wonder if they will ever be a time where Twilight tells Spike how much he means to her. #1 Assistant is pretty much all we've gotten out of here in the regard. It FEELS like a times that Twilight is like a sister/mother figure to Spike, but it's never really acknowledged. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard Twilight said she loves Spike before.

Of course he should. Twilight would go a little nutty without her dragon friend there to help her with all of her checklists. That, and where would Spike go if he left Twilight? I think Twilight would get lonely, and the two of them would miss each other if they were separated.

• Brohoof 1

Spike is also Twilight's much-needed reality-check from time to time. For example, Twilight needed Spike there to realize that she was being overly neurotic in Lesson Zero. Also, in Equestria Girls, Twilight was worried that the human counterparts of her friends would not accept her once they learned that she was a different creature from a different world, and it was fortunate that Spike was there to point out to her that it was what was in her heart that was important.

I wonder if they will ever be a time where Twilight tells Spike how much he means to her. #1 Assistant is pretty much all we've gotten out of here in the regard. It FEELS like a times that Twilight is like a sister/mother figure to Spike, but it's never really acknowledged. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard Twilight said she loves Spike before.

There is this moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj8mG_YQCjk

She does hug him and tell him that no one could ever replace him, both of which are more or less expressions of love (Also, she and Owlowiscious just rescued him)

Edited by JonPear
  • Brohoof 1

1. I don't think so, after all, we have already seen Twilight not really WANT to have all these Royal Guards and other people around her. She has already stated that she rather just wants her friends.

2. I think that considering Spike has been through everything with Spike, that the most that she will do is just have the other         assistants ( if she decides to have them ) do the work and Spike can just sit around and be more of a friend or a brother, more than a assistant.

Spike or Owlicious can't protect her if someone is actively trying to harm her either. You saw the season opening. When Twilight was left alone she was nearly killed.

Don't forget that Spike has saved her butt several times, indirectly.  He alerted Celestia to Twilight's panic in Lesson Zero, he was the one who both awoke Twilight from the 'worst fear' spell and delivered the Crystal Heart and protected the Crystal Empire, he was the one who alerted her friends that Twilight was under attack by the magic plants. Every time she's been in over her head, Spike has been there to either listen, give advice, or indirectly save the day from whatever problem is going on in the episode.

And it's not like JUST because Twilight has become a princess that means she is READY to be one or know what it's all about. The first thing Twilight did upon being told that she was to be a princess was to ask if there was a book about being a princess she should read. If she's going to be the ruler of Ponyville, then she's going to have lots of questions and concerns about her title and responsibilities, so the Twilight/Celestia connection through Spike is going to be needed even more now,as she is now going to be responsible for the running of an entire village, to an extent. 

Since Twilight let Spike go temporarily in Dragon Quest when he wanted to himself, I think she's willing to do the same thing if she has the same thoughts again. Whether or not she's willing to let him go for good is anypony's guess. Maybe during Spike's abscense, if it were temporary, Twilight will finally realize that she takes Spike for granted a lot. Which has always been my biggest problem with Twilight.

• Brohoof 1

Spike and Twily (and the rest of the main cast) are way too intertwined by this point.
I honestly couldn't imagine Twilight without Spike, the two are so much like siblings to me.
I have to be perfectly honest here: I never cared much about Spike/Twilight dynamic, until Equestria Girls, ironically enough.
That scene where him and Twilight share a sweet moment in the school library was one of the few things that I actually liked about the whole film, and I'm really REALLY hoping to see more of them in the ongoing season.
I suppose all good things come to an end at some point, though, and obviously Spike has a destiny of his own. He can't remain tied as Twilight's assistant forever.
When the time comes, and if the parting of the two is to be depicted in the show, I can only imagine it will be feeltastic, to say the least.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

It just dawned on me.

People worried that Twilight might out live her friends when she became an Alicorn, but what about Spike?

In almost every mythology, dragons can easily live for centuries, if not for millienia. Spike is quite possibly going to face that situation.

He could just stay with Celestia & Luna or perhaps finally go with the dragon migration on a permanent basis.

Personally, I think he should take this as his chance to fulfill his Rarity fantasy, where he goes about beating the shit out of the badguys to save ponies, Spike's godzilla form could probably take out the entire changling army alone XD

It just dawned on me.

People worried that Twilight might out live her friends when she became an Alicorn, but what about Spike?

In almost every mythology, dragons can easily live for centuries, if not for millienia. Spike is quite possibly going to face that situation.

He could just stay with Celestia & Luna or perhaps finally go with the dragon migration on a permanent basis.

Personally, I think he should take this as his chance to fulfill his Rarity fantasy, where he goes about beating the shit out of the badguys to save ponies, Spike's godzilla form could probably take out the entire changling army alone XD

Spike has to care more about material possessions than his friends to take on his godzilla form, though, so that he would not use his godzilla form to save his friends once he had it

Spike has to care more about material possessions than his friends to take on his godzilla form, though, so that he would not use his godzilla form to save his friends once he had it

Greed accelerated that growth, he may naturally grow that big in a few centuries and conquer the greed feeling.

• Brohoof 1

It just dawned on me.

There's a nice fanfic about that, actually...Though whether it's romantic or creepy that

Rarity allowed herself to be turned to stone in her old age as an eternal memento for Spike

may vary...

i agree with the "mother-figure" statement

twi was the one who hatched and cared for spike.. 

there seems to be more of an almost  mother \child bond rather than boss\assistant

i see no reason for spike to leave twilight

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

Judging by Molt Down, it looks like the show could be preparing for Spike not living with Twilight anymore. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean he won't be there for her anymore! Celestia or Ember or Thorax or someone might give him a new responsibility that would involve him not living with Twilight anymore, but he'd still be there for her when needed! Spike won't like leaving her and neither would Twilight, but in the end, they both realize that Spike's potential new responsibility could be what Equestria might depend on!

(edited)

10 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

Judging by Molt Down, it looks like the show could be preparing for Spike not living with Twilight anymore. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean he won't be there for her anymore! Celestia or Ember or Thorax or someone might give him a new responsibility that would involve him not living with Twilight anymore, but he'd still be there for her when needed! Spike won't like leaving her and neither would Twilight, but in the end, they both realize that Spike's potential new responsibility could be what Equestria might depend on!

Just because he has wings now, doesn't mean he's leaving Twilight, he's part of Twilight's family.

Edited by Brainstorm
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Brainstorm said:

Just because he has wings now, doesn't mean he's leaving Twilight, he's part of Twilight's family.

He's not LEAVING Twilight all-together, but there might come a day when he can't dedicate most of his time to her anymore because he has his own responsibliites. He's already ambassador to the dragons, and helped Thorax get to the position he's at now, and many other things! I know she's family to him, but sometimes there are greater responsibilities one must attend to and not be able to live with that family anymore. That's why Twilight's got Starlight now! ;)