• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

https://mlpforums.com/calendar/event/252-%7B%3F%7D/?module=events

Title: Castle Mane-ia
Air Date: November 30th, 2013
Leak Date: November 27th, 2013
Synopsis: While in Luna and Celestia's old castle, the ponies are convinced it is haunted by the Pony of Shadows.

Did somebody say something about exploring spooky old castles that have ghosts? Like, zoinks, Scoob! We better get movin'!

:fiery: Wow, this is the first time we've had an episode leaked this early, since Wonderbolt Academy. That's an academy record.

Let's not link to any torrents or other files of the leaked episode here in the thread itself, please. If someone has the file or knows how to find it, please share amongst folks looking for it, amongst yourselves, privately, or post a Google search term that will get you to it. Yes it's inconvenient but it's also a matter of legality Edited by Flipturn
Episode is now officially out! Spoiler warning removed.
  • Brohoof 16

I'll admit watching the leak beats a laggy stream of the episode with ads every 3 mins at 7 in the morning.

I approve of this new episode.

Agreed. I also don't mind it because, I don't have to feel pressured about deciding if I want to pull an all nighter/get up early to watch the premiere when I usually work later that day.

Leak? Meh... Gonna wait until Saturday. Makes the wait for episode 4 shorter. Kinda. ;)

And I hope for actual Castlevania and Scooby-Doo references. You know, the episode title... and it's supposed to be a "spooky" episode, right?

The entire episode is reminiscent of Scooby Doo themes, but I don't know if there are any super-specific references :3

I'll make an official response either after it airs, or tomorrow at the earliest.

• Brohoof 1

Since this has yet to be released, my analysis will be put in to spoiler.

This was a great episode, I loved the adorable moments everyone shared. We all need a bit of scaredy ponies running around. Some EXTREMELY cute things too...

post-7721-0-69160800-1385552731_thumb.png

The Rainbow Dash and AJ interactions in this were hilarious, Twilight was just Twilight. And the idea that the whole castle was just a funhouse for Luna is absolutely hilarious. 

Though I've gotta say, I really dislike how Rarity was portrayed in this. Once again, it seems they through her element of generosity out and replaced it with greed. Even though she knew, and acknowledged, Fluttershy(Who was actually annoying this episode in my opinion) she continued on with her task which was much less important than an extremely concerned Flutteryshy. 

And also....

post-7721-0-57469100-1385552975_thumb.png

I am very excited to see the journal thing come in to play. Should come out to be much like the letters, I hope.

• Brohoof 5

Pre-Episode:
I would much prefer to watch it via the live-stream on Saturday night but my internet is capped right now, so that's not really an option. Usually I wouldn't give in to a leaked episode but my backs against the wall a little bit this time. I'll either have to wait two days after it airs or watch the leak now and god knowns I'm not going to wait 2 days after release for the episode.

Post-Episode:
Season 4 is looking so good right now. Just finished watching Castle Mane-ia and I think it's probably up there as one of my favourites. I really enjoyed Applejack and Rainbow Dash's interactions (which for me are always entertaining) with each other, as a duo they just seem to work amazingly. He whole Dear Princess Celestia Diary thing is a little silly I think but maybe it will grow on me, who knows. Was laughing a lot throughout this episode as well particularly during these parts. 

Best duo.

post-8423-0-81939600-1385651740_thumb.png

I made some .gif files because screenshots didn't quite capture the awesomeness.

Adorable Pinkie

post-8423-0-29277100-1385651819_thumb.gif

Hilarious Pinkie

post-8423-0-69122800-1385651869_thumb.gif

Edited by Bucky_McGillycuddy
  • Brohoof 5

This was a great episode, I loved the adorable moments everyone shared. We all need a bit of scaredy ponies running around. Some EXTREMELY cute things too...

attachicon.gifRainbow hiding.png

The Rainbow Dash and AJ interactions in this were hilarious, Twilight was just Twilight. And the idea that the whole castle was just a funhouse for Luna is absolutely hilarious. 

Though I've gotta say, I really dislike how Rarity was portrayed in this. Once again, it seems they through her element of generosity out and replaced it with greed. Even though she knew, and acknowledged, Fluttershy(Who was actually annoying this episode in my opinion) she continued on with her task which was much less important than an extremely concerned Flutteryshy. 

And also....

attachicon.gifSchool bell Pinkie.png

I am very excited to see the journal thing come in to play. Should come out to be much like the letters, I hope.

Rarity misportrayed AGAIN?

grumpy-cat-04.jpg

Still, sounds like it'll be a good episode! I'm going to wait until Saturday, however~ ^^ 

Edited by Miss Earl Grey

Thoughts are in the spoiler.

I went ahead and watched it. It was extremely "meh" to me. It wasn't exciting and I didn't find it all too funny either. Fluttershy was extremely annoying though to the point where I was hoping she would trip and die or something. Just "meh". Nothing special, nothing terrible either. Rarity always looked pissed or annoyed in the episode and after watching the way Fluttershy acted, I don't blame her. I liked the way Twilight acted though.

Also,

I have the video file on my laptop's hard drive so if anyone wants the episode, let me know.

• Brohoof 3

attachicon.gifRainbow hiding.png

And also....

attachicon.gifSchool bell Pinkie.png

I actually thought Rarity was one of the episode's highlights

Also good to see RD and AJ's rivalry again!

In all I really liked this one, and honestly prefer it over the other "Scary episode" in season 2

• Brohoof 1

I liked this one better than the premiere. :) Still not amazing, but there were some good funny parts. It was enjoyable. It didn't really serve any purpose other than to make us laugh, though. Which is okay, I guess, but I'd like it if it was somehow connected; y'know, connected to that "overarching plotline" this season was gonna have? :P

Ah, what am I doing. I'm just being a stinking pessimist again. I enjoyed the episode, and that's all that matters! :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Leaked? Again? Who is seriously letting this happen?

Anywho, I'm really looking forward to his episode! The poor ponies getting scared, ehehe.

GAH! I couldn't resist! Shhh... My cousin and sister don't have to know that I watched it before them... C:<

This episode was hilarious! And sooo adorable! The Applejack and Rainbow Dash scenes were perfect, and Rarity was delightfully funny as always. Fluttershy, well, she was Fluttershy.

So much cuteness! Ponies are especially cute when dey are all fwightened... And trying not to show it! >.> Dashie, AJ.

Whoever said that season four will lose its humour?! This episode is going to be a classic example of one that had solely made us laugh.

Edited by Dashabel
  • Brohoof 1

I feel that this episode being leaked was not right. We should really just wait till the official launch date. It's sorta in a way stealing but that's just my opinion

However, the episode was to die for!!! This was a really great episode. I love how Hasbro now leaves every episode off with a cliff hanger. Makes me so pumped for the next one. I Absolutely loved this one. It really captured the personalities of all the characters ^_^ I really hope Hasbro makes more of these kind. The story line told a lot and it was very interesting. This episode makes me think that this season should be successful 

Edited by RainDash Dragon

Dat cliffhanger.

This episode was awesome! I got some chills out of that.

I stand my point: the animation is amazing. The 3D traps and lightning (especially in the part where Fluttershy and Rarity are trapped) are simply the best part of it.

Also, RAINBOW DASH HIDING BEHIND HER WINGS IS JUST TOO CUTE!

The part when Rarity puts her hoof around Rainbow Dash and she thinks it's Rarity. Why didn't she shove the hoof away? What's up with the look she gave? Only one answer: RAINBOW DASH AND APPLEJACK SHIPPING IS CANNON! (jk)

The part when the tapestry fell on Rarity. It reminds me of Smile HD, where Pinkie lands on Rarity. :P

The part when Fluttershy goes ANGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL

"No one likes sarcasm, Spike."

Also, nice use of the motion stop spell, last used in Lesson Zero on Rainbow Dash's tail.

Dat Pinkie Bell. And dat Celestia and Luna diary.

• Brohoof 1

I liked this one better than the premiere. :) Still not amazing, but there were some good funny parts. It was enjoyable. It didn't really serve any purpose other than to make us laugh, though. Which is okay, I guess, but I'd like it if it was somehow connected; y'know, connected to that "overarching plotline" this season was gonna have? :P

Ah, what am I doing. I'm just being a stinking pessimist again. I enjoyed the episode, and that's all that matters! :lol:

Actually it did serve a purpose... setting up a replacement for the "letters to Celestia" element of the show. Now the mane 6 will be writing in a journal for themselves at the end of each episode. Pretty cool idea, if you ask me :) I bet lots more kids will be keeping journals because of it, and look back fondly in 10-20 years.

It is kind of a shame it was leaked. It's more fun having the whole release day party. But what's done is done, and waiting doesn't really restore the excitement, so I watched it anyway, and it was good. I love gothic castle architecture, creepy atmosphere, and ancient things :)

Also pipe organs. I was pretty sure it was Pinkie playing, but was even more hoping it would be Luna, having heard about Twilight going to the old castle.

Rainbow and Applejack are total amateurs at the start. How can wearing a bee suit be considered daring? They got nothin' on Granny Smith in Family Appreciation Day :catface:

Rarity and Fluttershy were a lot of fun in this episode. Although Fluttershy carelessly flying behind the big tapestry seemed out of character to me. Who knows how many spiders could be lurking under there?

My favorite bit was when Rarity grabbed Rainbow through the peep hole. Rainbow was totally turned on by the thought of Applejack clinging to her in fear :lol: And Rarity's "I felt something... alive!" was hilarious.

The fakeout of Angel being squashed was a little too much though. Poor Fluttershy :(

But all in all, I thought it was a great episode. Season 4 is shaping up to be the best yet :D All this exploration of stuff that was previously set up as world history feels more like good fanfiction than actual show, and I love it.

Will remove this spoiler tag when it airs officially.

Thoughts as the episode progressed:

• Good to see it start with a direct link to the overarching story in the pilot.
  • Twilight's reaction to the ancient library, hands down cutest Twilight moment! D'awwable frame.
  • Applejack and Dash's rivalry again! Most Daring Pony probably a better title than Iron Pony.
  • Pinkie Pie still lovable as ever. Simple pleasures of life such as ringing a bell.
  • ...seriously, I love Pinkie Pie with all of my heart.
  • We need a name for the beekeeper.
  • Gummy in top form. Best pet showing us why!
  • Fluttershy extremely well portrayed in the walk up to the castle. Clearly disagrees with the importance of the tapestry, yet still satisfies Rarity by saying she agrees.
  • Rarity was a very enjoyable character throughout the whole episode, methinks!
  • The castle reminds me of a dungeon out of Legend of Zelda. Spinning walls and hidden rooms.
  • Angel surprisingly enjoyable all through the episode as well.
  • The star spiders idea looks like it was abandoned halfway through the episode...
  • I see Applejack has improved upon her ghost storytelling since Look Before You Sleep!
  • I found it unusual to see Rainbow Dash that frightened. Might be the claustrophobia of the castle that inhibits her ability to fly.
  • You guys are right, this did feel like Scooby Doo.
  • One of the most well-animated scenes I can recall from MLP is the one with AJ and RD running with RD skidding to a stop.
  • It looks like Granny Smith on the left.
  • I like how Twilight forgets all apprehension in walking into an eerie, hidden room if there are books in it.
  • I love the moment where Rainbow Dash is the one confronting Applejack about poxy figures.
  • I really didn't like the hall of "disembodied pony legs". I hope they were made of stone. >.>
  • Rarity treating the castle as an emotional entity is hilarious.
  • Initially wondered where Rarity and Fluttershy were when it showed the little room they were in. Then I remembered the trap door. Began disliking the constant switching of POV, it did confuse me/take away from the pace a couple of times during the episode.
  • "No food, no water, no friends at aaaalllllll!" *instantly cuts to Angel enjoying a bowl of carrots* Fantastically done. I chuckled.
  • New canon: Luna likes slides. Interesting...
  • I liked the contrast they had between the very calm Twilight and the very frightened rest of them.
  • Halfway through the episode I paused to recount why everypony was at the castle. Twilight - books. Rarity - tapestry. Fluttershy - with Rarity. Dash & AJ - dares. I thought, "Where's Pinkie? Bet she makes a surprise appearance." Then the pony organist was playing and I thought "yep, Pinkie."
  • The scene with the pony armour made me realise just how much fan fiction is going to be inspired by this episode.
  • Another hilarious scene: *organ note, Applejack flipped over a wall panel* *another organ note, Rarity flipped over a floor panel* *a third organ note, Angel gets a free bowl of carrots*
  • After enough panel flipping and scares, I wondered how long we'd continue seeing the same types of scenes before some sort of conclusion was met.
  • Anyone else like this frame for some reason?
  • ...I got kinda upset when Fluttershy thinks Angel got crushed to pieces by the pillar. :c
  • ...yup, 'twas Pinkie playing the organ! She is a musician, after all. Gotta love how she didn't care about the sudden disappearance of her cloak.
  • My gosh, this was just another exemplification of Best Pony. The way she narrates her story with the organ was so god damn cute I couldn't stand it. Oh, and the bellringing.
  • Oh yeah, of course! Never a wrong place to have a party with Pinkie in charge.
  • "Then it comes back! With... cake!" Quote of the episode!
  • Rounding off with the idea of a journal, huh? I like it. It's a sense of the now-princess Twilight imparting lessons upon her friends, something she too can participate in.

Will update this with a detailed review in due course, but for now, this episode gets a solid 8.5/10.

• Brohoof 4

Overall, I thought this was the perfect episode to follow up the premiere. The premiere was packed with suspense and action and even a little drama, whereas this was completely relaxed and focused on being a slice-of-life type of encounter, in where the characters all found themselves coming to the old castle and spooking themselves in very Scooby-Doo-esque antics. And speaking of castles, whilst the humor caught your attention, the fact that we gained an immense amount of new knowledge about the old castle, what it looks like inside, how it works and how the princesses lived in it, was awesome. Just like the flashbacks in the premiere, that is world-building, something that the show hasn't done too much of in past seasons, that, I'm starting to think is going to continue being a huge theme throughout season 4.

All of the primary characters got plenty of screen time, lines and interactions, and some of the most commonly paired up characters got to be with one another yet again (Rivarly AJ & Dash, Spa-going Fluttershy & Rarity, Twilight & Assistant Spike, etc.) And that's also something from earlier seasons that wasn't seen as much in S3. As you can imagine, I personally enjoyed Dash and AJ the most. The tough tomboys competing to see who doesn't get scared and run out, only to get themselves spooked silly was uber cute.

All in all, a very good casual, fun episode that displayed all the characters interacting with one another in the ways we came to enjoy them for, and a good follow-up to that premiere.

We've also gained even more indispensable GIF opportunities from this.

483224__safe_rainbow+dash_animated_resid

Dash needs to brush up on your video game quick-time events.

483212__safe_rainbow+dash_applejack_anim

The return of 'OooOoOoOo!' AJ from 'Look Before You Sleep'! Dash becomes confused, it is very effective.

483535__safe_twilight+sparkle_rainbow+da

Is she serious?

• Brohoof 6

I wasted no time and watched it.

What I liked:

1. Fantastic animation. The lighting and shadowing were great, giving the characters depth and atmosphere mood.
  2. Excellent AppleDash chemistry. Not shipping, but their friendship and friendly rivalry played off each other. Chemistry at its finest.
  3. AJ, your story's actually SCARY. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
  4. Good use of continuity. No true results, but at least the box wasn't left hanging unlike the rushed, lamebrain Twilicorn concept from last season. Hopefully, they don't drop the ball on it unlike last season.
  5. Adorkable Twilight, but reigned in with more confidence, intelligence, and maturity. (Still, great for humor, bad for proving her worth as an alicorn princess. More development of her is needed to get passed this stage. She can't be like this forever.)
  6. Twilight can fly well, hopefully ending the lazy retcon.
  7. Stunt > Consequences > Resolution. Rarity got in over her head via her greed, scared the shit outta herself, and tore a piece of the precious royal tapestry.
  8. It was just one hilarious Scooby-Doo parody. The ponies being so scared and running around like that gave me plenty of laughter.
  9. Unlike Princess Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie wasn't a random dumbbell. She had purpose and a bit more intelligence to go with her randomness.
  10. Nicely done callback from Lesson Zero. ^_^
  11. Equal screentime for all of the characters, minus Pinkie. Angel's still a lovable dick. :lol:
  12. The pacing is factually better in here. One of the premiere's biggest problems (and why PTS isn't so objectively good) is the pacing, forcing McCarthy to rush her plot development and insert contrived logic and plot devices. Here, there is a small DEM, but unlike Too Many Pinkie Pies, it fit the scope of the old castle and didn't really impact the plot so much.
  13. Good cliffhanger. Now I wonder how it'll impact Season 4…if it will.

What I don't like (currently):

1. Lay off the Spikabuse, pleeeeeeeeaaaase!
  2. VERY predictable outcome. With Pinkie absent this whole time, it was obvious she was the master of the pipe organ. If the pony playing it was someone else (like Celestia, Luna, or a true ghost), then that'd be a good twist.
  3. Fluttershy was caring for Angel, but still behaved like a rather gigantic scaredy-cat. (This case, though, it's somewhat justified given the circumstances.)
  4. Twilight showing VERY SLOW development as an alicorn princess. She was funny, but keeps proving how pointless her ascension is so far. I already linked what kind of development Twilight should ger to prove her worth.

Altogether, I currently really like it, and it's so far a MUCH better episode than PTS. A good debut episode for Josh Haber. ^__^

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 8

I found this episode somewhat disappointing after the pure epicness of episodes 1 & 2.

1) The humour fell somewhat flat. In a crazy castle with traps and passageways, much more hilarity could've been pulled off, as seen in other castle encounters from other media. THe jokes were pretty stale, and even Pinkie's randomness seemed less funny than usual. Not sure why, but something about the attempted humour just didn't tickle my funny bone much. i got some chuckles, but nowhere near as much as I would expect when compared to other comedy episodes from the series.

2) The characterisations were mostly good. It was nice to see Twily stepping up as a leader at the end. The AppleDash dynamic (not shipping) went very well and added some level of action to the episode. Pinkie was random, and while less funny than usual, still delivered. Rarity, despite what everypony else says, I thought was not greedy, but rather showed an appreciation and respect for fine art, and also some level of generosity in giving up her free time, and risking great fright to try and create something beautiful for others to admire for free. The only characterisation that failed was Fluttershy. They took the cute scaredy-cat we're used to and made her into a nagging worry-wort, and it was like a constant throbbing on my ear drums whenever Fluttershy spoke.

3) The plot of this episode in and of itself, fell incredibly short. There was nowhere near as much world-building as there was potential for. The journal could've given far more insight than it did. The storyline following the 5 ponies (besides Twilight) consisted entirely of the ponies randomly running around and getting spooked at various turns, which would have been fine, if done correctly. But as I said under humour, an ancient labyrinthine spooky ruin plot has been done many times before, and in other cases provided much more humour than I saw here It did not live up to past incarnations of a similar plot. As such, the merit the plot could have had just wasn't there. Again, potential, but failed potential.

4) In terms of the grand scheme of Season 4, this episode did a good job. While it's internal plot was lacking, to say the least, it did set two new story precedents, while also making sure to call back to what was laid down at the end of the premiere. My fear was that the writers, in experimenting with a new story structure, would trip up, not knowing that there should at least be a reference in every episode to the overall plot. But they did not. They made sure to remind us that something bigger will be happening this season, while also setting the two new story elements of the "pony of shadows" and the journal. If they keep adding new elements each episode like this, the finale will prove to be very EPIC. Although, I would state that the journal could have been introduced a bit better.

So overall, I think that the episode in and of itself was okay. The characterisation was great, but the humour and plot fell flat, making a net individual rating of meh. But in terms of contribution to overall story, this episode did smashingly, and the hype for season 4 is increased. I just hope that in the future, the writers remember the importance of having a solid mini-plot in each episode.

• Brohoof 1