NavelColt

S04:E03 - Castle Mane-ia  

393 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I just love this episode, we get to see that old castle in more detail, we see new bits of animation in it too, I don't see RD put her wings over her face and walk forward thats for sure. Not to mention I can't help but feel like that castle is one day gonna be Twilight's castle in some way... lol

• Brohoof 1

I actually found the episode a little boring. Also, for some reason ever since Equestria Girls Fluttershy's voice has sounded weird to me. Maybe it's because she talks more than she used to, I don't know.

Anyways the episode was a little disappointing as the premiere was so awesome, and this was just average. Anyways, I will say that the episode had some awesome moments in it. From Rarity being bonked on the head (My avatar), to Rainbow Dash hiding her face with her wings, it wasn't such a bad episode. Not fantastic, but not terrible either.

Edited by Digital Tears

I just love this episode, we get to see that old castle in more detail, we see new bits of animation in it too, I don't see RD put her wings over her face and walk forward thats for sure. Not to mention I can't help but feel like that castle is one day gonna be Twilight's castle in some way... lol

I was thinking that yesterday.  Later on it could be fixed up and made into Twilight's castle. 

As for no one caring when Spike was launched it does fit with their behavior.  In, I think a season 2 episode, or was it season 1, Applejack falls from a pretty high height but Rainbow Dash isn't concerned about Applejack may be hurt, just that she missed the board that was to launch her (Rainbowdash) into the sky.

I missed both the Saturday and Sunday telecasts but I saw it on Youtube just a few minutes ago.  It was too easy to guess that Pinkie Pie was on the organ due to process of elimination.  Even though Pinkie claims she doesn't know how to play an organ, her talent with musical instruments otherwise also made her the obvious suspect.  :)  This was a fun slice of life episode.  Just two questions:

How is that old castle able to keep all its aritifacts intact?  It seems totally unprotected. I suspect it's either in a pocket dimension or it has a cloaking spell hiding it.  The Mane 6 can go there because of their connection to the Elements of Harmony. 

Who is the "shadow pony" alluded to at the end?  The resemblance to Zecora has already been widely noted.  I'll check out the related "who is that pony" thread in a moment.  Even if the castle is hidden from most ponies by magic, I'm sure it's not foolproof. 

I also liked how the beekeeper whistled all of his bees off of AJ and RD. 

To those who want to see character development in Fluttershy, take note:  She wasn't significantly any more frightened than AJ, RD, or Rarity. ;)

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 2

Not if it's still in the middle of the Everfree Forest. Twilight deserves better, to say the least

It's funny. I thought the same thing that she would make her castle there. I agree that it's not the right place in many ways, but when she found the library I felt she would want to protect and save all that knowledge.

• Brohoof 1

I really liked this episode, I think that even a little more than previous two-parter opening season. It was very funny and had very nice atmosphere. Not very original and very predictable plot, but very well used.
I quickly guessed that Pinkie Pie was that mysterious hooded figure. This was quite obvious, she was the only one who was absent from mane 6.
And it turned out that the ponies who claimed to be the most daring were in fact the most cowardly from mane 6 :lol:.

Other good things:
Twilight still as a book freak.
I really like character pairings (not in the meaning of shipping) and we had here two: Rarity&Fluttershy and RainbowDash&Applejack - two great duos!
Fluttershy not scared of herself and stupid things, maybe still played a little silly but it was better than in previous episodes.
Now we have a nice alternative of letters to princess - again a good move from plot writers.

What I disliked:
Pinkie Pie  becoming more and more stupid instead of being joyful crazy but intelligent.

So I actually watched this episode a day late, unlike the majority of the people on here.  ^_^

Oh well, at least I didn't wait any longer and watched it before the next episode premiere. I made a promise to myself to not get behind in my episode watching extravaganza, I will stick to it even if it kills me! :lol:

Onto my review! :yay:

post-8762-0-57762000-1385936018_thumb.png

Anyways, as with the episode itself, I loved it. It was a nice transition from the epic season 4 premiere. While that aforementioned two-parter had a ton of adventure, action, and some intense dramatic scenes, in contrast, Castle Mania(damn these pony puns) was much more fun-filled and had more of a simple slice of life kind of feel to it. 

It was not as necessarily serious as it was light-heartened, and the humor in this was definitely top of the quality. I hadn't really laughed this much when watching an MLP:FIM episode since A Friend in Deed; that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy any of the episodes after that, because I did. They just never really made me laugh as much I did here. ^_^

483212__safe_rainbow+dash_applejack_anim

^This scene brings me back memories of Sleepless in Ponyville. 

I loved how all the ponies got their own reasonable portion of screen time here, and I especially loved how Rarity and Fluttershy were portrayed. Both of these characters, from at least what I've noticed, haven't really gotten much screen time in much of the earlier episodes, so it was nice seeing this sort of contrast.

"I just wanted to restore ancient art!" :o  *get's covered by the flag, and starts panicking while running around in circles*

^Oh Rarity.  :D I just loved how passionate and melodramatic she was in here. Her character is just so adorably awesome! 

And I lol'ed seeing Fluttershy's reaction to what she thought was Angel, get crushed by that pillar. Fluttershy really had a lot of adorable and funny moments here, and despite her being my least favorite character, I like how she was presented here! :yay:

post-8762-0-64532300-1385936040.jpg

Pinkie Pie at the end was predictable as hell. But nonetheless, I gotta say, this has got to be the most unique manner she's been presented in a show thus far. Pinkie Pie, you are truly random, as well as talented in playing the organ! :lol: It is for reasons like these that I just love her and her bubbly idiosyncrasies so much!

~End of review~

Overall, I give this episode a 8/10

• Brohoof 8

Characters -  I’m trying to live by the policy that just because a pony is tied to an element doesn’t mean they need to represent it all the time, but it is becoming difficult. At this point, it feels like Rarity is just being written for cheap gags here and there about her being lazy or pushing work off on others. For instance, take into consideration her having Fluttershy come along to the castle. Rarity understands that Fluttershy is afraid, but ignores it and carries on. ‘Generoisty’, am I right?

Message - I will not acknowledge the moral of this episode as having been an important one, because I have a direct relation back to season one. If I am correct, the message in this episode was ‘don’t let your imagination get the better of you’. Seem familiar? Good, because this message has already been covered by ‘Giggle at the Ghostie’ from season one. Normally I’m a forgiving person, but a direct recycle from a song’s message is not acceptable to me, nor to anyone else in this fandom. You can do better.

Cheap gags? Being lazy? I feel the 100% opposite.

This was Rarity's best showing in ages. Her characterization was excellent. She came to the castle with the inention of fixing its tattered artwork.

The fact that she calls the castle "ungrateful" proves that her intention is one of good will. She wants to help, and is frustrated at the castle for resisting her.

Nevertheless, with tangled mane and all, she jumps back into the castle. To finish her "sacred task of restoration".

IMO this is an amazing version of Rarity that i want to see more of. The new writer has found a damn good balance with her personality.

Also, she didn't drag Fluttershy along. Fluttershy agreed to help her despite doubting the importance of the mission, because the two of them are good friends.

This is more of a plus for Flutters than a negative for Rarity.

Also, the episode showed subtle improvement for both of them. Fluttershy was remarkably braver and lasted way longer before freaking out than her season 1 self would've done.

and Rarity didn't freak out when she got muddy, twiggy, etc. She just took her annoyance on board and dealt with it. This is a WONDERFUL, welcome change.

And regarding the message, i think you're over-simplifying it a lot. To the point of being unfair.

The moral i picked up from this episode came when Twilight said: "knowing something about the past made it easier to deal with my problems in the present".

That whole ending scene was a great lesson in itself to encourage children to learn and research, and then make good use of their knowledge to handle situations.

"Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it" or something like that.

Also, song =/= end-of-episode moral.

In fact, you could even say we DIDN'T get one in this episode. The diary was introduced, but all Applejack said was that she was glad Granny's legend wasn't true.

The characters were just talking amongst themselves when Twilight said the line you referred to. So your complaint makes even less sense to me.

There seems to be two kinds of people when it comes to Applejack's "I didn't learn anything! I was right all along!" letter in season 2.

Those who thought it was amusing, and those who moaned about it in a similar fashion to how you described this one.

In case you couldn't tell, i'm in the former camp. The lessons don't mean diddly to me, they're just a charming bonus.

I honestly don't care that the supposed moral is the same as a song in the first episode.

A lot has changed since episode one. Heck, the CMC were together in a few frames, despite not being introduced to each other yet.

Point being, there are some things you should just let slide.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders learn the same damn thing all the time (be patient and do the things you enjoy), but no one ever brings that up.

Is it because they're kids?

Edited by Prince Dan
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't care to much for it, but horror isn't really my cup of tea.  I couldn't find anything critically wrong with the episode, structurally.  Overall, it was a decent episode.

Totally called it at the end with pinkie

Anyways i liked it! It was a nice episode, although i don't have much to say about it. I like that they picked up where the premiere left off, with twilight searching for information about the box. I liked Rarity in this one, i can totally relate to her in her appreciation for ancient art and its conservation. So fearless too ;) I didn't think its that she was "inconsiderate" of Fluttershy's fear, but she's so used to it that fluttershy saying she's scared doesn't really leave much impact on anyone anymore.

Speaking of which, Flutters was her adorable, scaredy cat self as usual. RD and Applejack were pretty funny together.

Edited by crazitaco

I quite liked the episode actually, I actually watched it twice, and i enjoyed it almost more the second time. Idk why. 

At first it was a more like, i like it, but nothing amazing, but it was even better the next time, i'd say i quite loved it almost. 

So far S4 is looking pretty good. I liked alot about this episode, just the random jokes and stuff to many to count, all the cute moments of the ponies being scared, and Twilights general obliviousness to the whole thing ;p.

Plus, watching Twilight book nerd out was quite enjoyable, almost looks even cuter with her wings :P

So yeah, i liked the episode. Alot of funny stuff and cute stuff, and its just a pretty good episode.

The only thing i could really complain about is that the episode felt a bit pointless sorta, not totally, but a little. Of course we have this journal thing which is i guess suppose to continue through the show that might be interesting. I'll have to see.

but overall i've taken a liking to all the charactors this season, they all seem to be improved or still just as enjoyable as ever! Plus we get to see more of Rarity as she was neglected in S3 a bit, heck even Fluttershy was kinda getting ignored to an extent in my eyes. Maybe i'm just a crazyed fluttershy fanboy though, regardless i like that shes appearing more.

Oh and I really am liking Pinkie alot this season, not that i already did, but still.

Twilight has been pulled off well, same with Rainbow, Applejack is downright awesome this season, and overall just a great season it seems so far.

I await Episode 4 to be just as good if not better then this one.

• Brohoof 1

Overall, this episode was very "meh". The way in which all of the characters conveniently went to the abandoned castle on the same day at the same time seemed contrived, and the sights in the castle and the actions of the characters when they were there were almost never more than mildly entertaining (and often cliche and boring), which killed much of the interest in a slice-of-life episode like this. I could make a much longer list of "nitpicks" I thought of during the episode, but here are some of the larger inconsistencies, contrivances, etc. I noticed.

The castle library has very open holes where the ceiling used to be, and yet, other than that and the library being a little messy, the books seem largely readable and unharmed. Wouldn't there have been inclement weather (rain, high winds, etc.) in the Everfree Forest many times since the castle was abandoned that would have damaged the books and the library?

The books and tapestries which Twilight and Rarity think are so valuable were just left behind, exposed to the elements and allowed to rot as though they were worthless. If they're so valuable, why weren't they transferred to the new castle in Canterlot, or if not that, at least auctioned off or donated or something else other than just leaving them there? Why wouldn't have Celestia taken her and Luna's diary with her to Canterlot? On a similar note, why would Rarity go through the work of restoring the tapestries only to return them to the abandoned castle where they would be once again left unappreciated, exposed to the elements, and allowed to rot? Why not, say, seek permission to sell them or to put them on display at the Canterlot castle?

The multiple trapdoors, etc. really don't make much sense. Were they created solely for the purpose of pranking? If so, what prank was intended by, say, the tiny trapdoor in the secret study which gave Angel more carrots, or the tiny springing floor tile that launched Spike? Furthermore, why are the trapdoors activated by playing certain keys on the organ? How would the organ player know the right time to activate the traps to prank someone? I'm not sure how the organ player could see whether anyone was on Luna's throne or walking down the hall of armor or in the secret study. I didn't see, for example, any cameras or wall of monitors in the organ room to be able to tell such things.

It was very nice of Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie to "borrow" the beekeeper's bees (and possibly his beekeping outfits) without his permission, or at least seemingly without him knowing what they were going to do with them.

Rarity was able to reach her foreleg through a hole in the wall and feel Rainbow Dash, but yet she and Fluttershy didn't hear or didn't recognize Rainbow Dash and Applejack screaming and running down the hallway through that same hole?

Finally, most of Pinkie Pie's "antics" continue to grind on me with every passing episode. I don't find them funny or entertaining, just stupid and annoying. Near the beginning of the episode, when Pinkie is doing her "calculations", she mumbles about moving the decimal and carrying the two, and says "Numbers don't lie!", then shows Applejack and Rainbow Dash (and the camera) a page with no numbers on it, just unintelligible doodles and scribbles. Does Pinkie actually know that those aren't numbers? Does she know that they make little or no sense to anyone else, at least not without an explanation? If so, why does she show them as if they self-evidently prove her point? 

Secondly, why does Pinkie think that she would be asked to ring the school bell all week non-stop, and then actually try to do so? What possible reason for that would there be? Does Pinkie actually know what the purpose of a school bell is? Those were just two of the worst of Pinkie's "antics" this episode.

Would have been better with a few skeletons, zomponies, and vamponies running around the place.

And if Twilight had found a leather whip too.

And then Twilight had to fight the head vampony.

Lol I see what you did there :P

Who knows, we might get something similar to that in the future, depending on who the pony of shadows really is.

I hope to god they aren't trying to make the other ponies completely reliant on twilight :|

Seriously this episode seems to be every pony getting scared and failing while twilight is fine, the whole point of the show is they need each other, not that they need twi.

I hope they don't forget that.

Edited by joecal97
  • Brohoof 1

So, was the beginning of them writing a journal going to mean that will be a continuous thing at the end of each episode? If so, that was a sneaky move for the writers. Way to replace a friendship letter. Well played.

This episode was, in my opinion, one of the best so far! I am a very big supporter of RD vs AJ episodes and my desires were fulfilled.

Also I don't know if it's just me or has the whole Season 4 so far gotten a little more serious compared to the other seasons? I think it is a good thing and I am eagerly awaiting the next episode! Minor flaws were that it was predictable as to who that "shadow pony" was and all of them getting into the castle at the same time (too much of a coincidence I think) and on top of that because of three different reasons. The Rarity/Fluttershy storyline in this episode was a little pointless for the story but overall it was pretty decent and probably needed to scare RD and AJ a little :P

Also that Pinkie Pie Flashback... xD Made my day. I don't understand why Twilight was noticing Angel but not looking for Fluttershy inside the castle instead keeping up her studies, neglecting Fwiendship! >:3

Oh well overall one of the best episodes in my opinion, probably ended up in my top 5.

Edited by ~Sadistic Lunatic~

I thought it was fairly entertaining.

I thought Rarity & Pinkie Pie were a bit.......off in this episode though I really did love the interaction between Rainbow Dash & Applejack because I love thier competitive natures clashing together. I also loved seeing Fluttershy with Angel. Now there's proof that they both care for each other and it was really heatwarming to me.

The new writer for the episode was pretty decent. Still not on par with Meghan or M.A Larson just yet.

Am I the only one that has a negative predisposition towards Applejack episodes since the Family Reunion one in Season 3? I'm not saying that it would be impossible for the show to have an episode that is good while also having her as the focal point, but based on previous trends you could understand why one would come to such a conclusion. 

In the past, we've seen her get outshined by a fan-made character, and have episodes that don't really have as much substance as one would hope to see. I just really hope that this 'Bats' episode coming up is a lot better than the title and brief description given present it to be.

I heard that it was leaded early and i didn't watch it until Saturday. I loved the episode! it made it even more sweet having played castle mania. I thought the episode was put together really nice. Go twilight for being the only one to remain calm.