Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

NeroAmentia

Was Sombra actually killed?

it looks like he was killed but the fans say because his horn survived that he did as well. so im not sure that one counts but ya he was blown to pieces 

Edited by Fanglore

Well, she can do dark magic but if you want an actual example then look at how she finds it amusing to let everything think that philomena is dead and lets Fluttershy angst over it, instead of just telling them right away that she can come back to life. That's a pretty dark sense of humor right there.

Er, wasn't the whole point of that episode was that if Fluttershy had just asked Celestia, she would have known? Celestia didn't know what happened to her bird, she just knew that she was molting and would probably respawn any day now. And she was very upfront about it when Fluttershy encountered her.

Edit: I also think this whole thread is reading way, way, way, waaaaaaaaay too deeply into something that lasted less than three seconds. This is too much for me--total and unequivocal nitpicking that I'm doing right now.  

Edited by Miss Earl Grey
  • Brohoof 3

Er, wasn't the whole point of that episode was that if Fluttershy had just asked Celestia, she would have known? Celestia didn't know what happened to her bird, she just knew that she was molting and would probably respawn any day now. And she was very upfront about it when Fluttershy encountered her.

Yes. Celestia didn't know that Fluttershy didn't know that Philomena was supposed to turn to ashes and then be reborn.

But I think that the problem people have with this scene is that Celestia didn't tell Fluttershy, when she was crying over Philomena's ashes, that everything was alright. Combine that with the little scene when Celestia tricks one of the Cakes to pour more tea into the full cup and you got a "troll". Poor Celestia can't even visit her friends without ponies freaking out around her.  ^_^

Edit: I also think this whole thread is reading way, way, way, waaaaaaaaay too deeply into something that lasted less than three seconds. This is too much for me--total and unequivocal nitpicking that I'm doing right now

aww but nitpicking is what we bronies do best. i mean think about it, one of the most love ponies in the fandom( derpy if you couldn't have guessed) was found because we nitpick everything.

plus all this nitpicking leads to fun conversations like this one. so im all for nitpicking, i just wish i was better at it

• Brohoof 1

Yes. Celestia didn't know that Fluttershy didn't know that Philomena was supposed to turn to ashes and then be reborn.

But I think that the problem people have with this scene is that Celestia didn't tell Fluttershy, when she was crying over Philomena's ashes, that everything was alright. Combine that with the little scene when Celestia tricks one of the Cakes to pour more tea into the full cup and you got a "troll". Poor Celestia can't even visit her friends without ponies freaking out around her.  ^_^

Aww, I thought that whole tea scene was an effort to make her subjects more relaxed. Oh well. Why am I sticking up for Celestia again, lol? She's not my favorite princess. And to the best of my knowledge, she told Fluttershy directly afterwards. 

aww but nitpicking is what we bronies do best. i mean think about it, one of the most love ponies in the fandom( derpy if you couldn't have guessed) was found because we nitpick everything.

plus all this nitpicking leads to fun conversations like this one. so im all for nitpicking, i just wish i was better at it

Yes, but sometimes nitpicking goes too far, and especially with a subject title like "Twilight is losing her innocence" implies that this is a gigantic, huge thing that permanently mars her character, when it's really only a tiny, nitpicky thing.

And as a firm lover of Nostalgia Critic, I love to nitpick. ^^ But it does occasionally take away from the enjoyment of the show.

• Brohoof 1

i for one support trollestia. it makes her feel almost motherly in the show. she wants to have fun with her or "my little ponies"(her words exactly) yet still be able to teach them and help them be better then who they are. even if that makes her out to be the bad guy sometimes. 

that this is a gigantic, huge thing that permanently mars her character

i dont think anyone has said that this is a bad thing. it is just one more change in the show that has made it less innocent and more family oriented (aka PG rating instead of E) 

i for one support trollestia. it makes her feel almost motherly in the show. she wants to have fun with her or "my little ponies"(her words exactly) yet still be able to teach them and help them be better then who they are. even if that makes her out to be the bad guy sometimes. 

The problem I have with trollestia is that there are "levels" of it.

In the show, she has done one thing or another, like this with the tea. But this is a whole different level from the downright cruel stuff some comics show her doing.

About Twilight's innocence, I wanted to say two things: she is not a filly, and she was defending herself.

• Brohoof 2

i dont think anyone has said that this is a bad thing. it is just one more change in the show that has made it less innocent and more family oriented (aka PG rating instead of E) 

Oh no, lol, don't get me wrong, I love me some good Trollestia! But I enjoy it knowing it has very little to do with the actual show.

And I don't think shooting a laser from her horn to save a friend would be considered a PG rating. Heck, Disney movies have far worse, and most of them are G rated. :lol: 

All in all, I just think it's going over the top in terms of what we're looking at. 

The problem I have with trollestia is that there are "levels" of it. In the show, she has done one thing or another, like this with the tea. But this is a whole different level from the downright cruel stuff some comics show her doing.

oh i was talking about the show. most of the comics are cruel stuff so i don't really look at that. i just laugh at the parts like the tea or my personal favorite when she walked into the doughnut shop and told the mane six that she wanted them to liven up the gala.

And I don't think shooting a laser from her horn to save a friend would be considered a PG rating. Heck, Disney movies have far worse, and most of them are G rated.

alright how about the difference between dora the explorer and powerpuff girls. they are both g just vastly different levels of it. that was the pg and e comparison sorry if i wasn't clear 

Edited by Fanglore

i will admit the whole 'laser plant death' struck me more than it should have... it pulled a nerve with me.. i cant help but think  that that particular scene might foreshadow something in the future..guess we'll have to see

• Brohoof 1

This is overreacting at its finest. It was SELF DEFENSE against an EVIL plant that was hellbent on destroying everything in Equestria. This in no way points towards Alicorns being evil or insane or Twilight 'losing her innocence'. I can guarantee that you would not stop and think 'Oh, poor evil plant that just tried to destroy me and all of Equestria'. If you were in Twilight's position, you would be worried about your friends, which she WAS.

Please tell me that this complain is a joke, because it is pretty stupid.

• Brohoof 3

You should be more worried about the Apple family. They're running a daily shakedown operation over there. And don't even mention Zecora and her "potions".

But seriously, this is a non-issue. It was a plant... a pretty violent one, at that; it definitely deserved to get blasted. But most importantly, it was a plant. 

• Brohoof 2

Eh, i don't think she really could be considered that evil or anything, i mean yes she may be a little more brave, but its more self defense.

Its more of just something spawning off of the corrupt vines of the everfree, kids kill plants pulling up grass and stuff all the time, but are they like evil? Or do they lose their innocence? No, so yeah.

I don't think that her killing the plant was really that huge a deal. 

Edit: I also think this whole thread is reading way, way, way, waaaaaaaaay too deeply into something that lasted less than three seconds. This is too much for me--total and unequivocal nitpicking that I'm doing right now.  

Well, I wasn't agreeing with the original post, just answering your question. I don't think killing a plant makes Twilight a monster, self defense or not.

It acted as it's own, showing some form of sentience, and when she blew up it's "head" it died, or at least was no longer a living part of the plant. I understand this does sound rather far-fetched though. Luna previously showed (though it was 1000 years ago) both insanity and evil. Celestia herself can show some hints of a much darker or perhaps even "evil" side. Being born or not as an Alicorn wouldn't really matter, she's still an Alicorn with potentially extreme powers.

if you notice twilight used dark magic as a unicorn. so its not just alicorn magic. not sure what to make of the art they used to power the potion hints of things to come or just poor choice of art assets.

For what it's worth this is how I replied to a similar thread.

First dark magic and Alicorns. It's important to remember that Sombra was a unicorn, so one could argue that unicorns are evil since they can use dark magic. However that would be a logical fallacy. One event does not a trend make. In addition Twilight could use dark magic as a unicorn too. Also, Rainbow Dash, in Hearth's Warming Eve, mentioned unicorn's "freaky magic". Now I don't think she was referring to "dark magic", but if it is a true statement of how the other two tribes feel about unicorns, and their magic, it's interesting. We get several examples in canon (Sombra, Star Swirl, Trixie, and Sunset Shimmer) of unicorns who are, shall I say, difficult. :-) But again it doesn't follow that unicorns are evil.

The "Celestia has been a naughty girl" meme. For whatever reason the fandom enjoys screwing around with Celestia and finding her faults. Maybe because she does not seem to have any (untrue) the fandom feels they must create some to save her from the dreaded "Mary Sue". Now she has done things that "from a certain point of view" might not reflect well on her, but that's the price of being a teacher, parent, or leader. Those positions often force you to do things that others might find to be wrong when they don't have to make the decision.

Edited by Nature's Spell

I think you also have to keep in mind that this show was geared towards young children when they first started. Now I think that they are also focusing on their older viewers so a little death doesn't matter. And I must also point out that it was a plant, not a pony. If Twilight had killed Chaos or another creature in the Everfree Forest then you would have a right to be disturbed. But it was a glorified Venus Fly Trap. 

If that's the case, then I've lost mine when I was like 5 or 6.  Y'know, picking flowers, squishing bugs.  Honestly, I don't think this is a big deal at all.  It's not like it was an animal or anything, plus it was evil.