Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

NeroAmentia

I suspect that by the very nature of Alicorns (or perhaps their magic), Alicorns are generally evil. Added that if they are, what will become of our beloved Twilight?

(I understand that quite a few of these are sort of far-fetched, sorry.)

My first reason of suspicion is, quite simply, the Alicorn amulet. This amulet, containing powerful magic, could drive someone into doing great evil. Somepony like Fluttershy could become cruel and tyrannical like Sombra by wearing something named after the Alicorns, if not made by them.

A point I made earlier today, Twilight didn't give a bit about killing that plunder seed plant. I understand, it's just a plant. Still though, with her own magic she blew it's head open without a second thought. Which also makes me rather curious as to how she knew that spell (Harry Potter didn't just know the killing curse - he learned it from David Tennant, so where would she learn that killy-heady-explody-spell?). Another thing is that when she used "Alicorn magic" it looked just like dark magic, which makes me think there might not even be a difference and that "Alicorn magic" is just a polite way to put it. 

Princess Celestia is personally all over the place in my opinion of her, but regardless I believe she is heartless and truly evil inside. A delightful example is with Fluttershy when she let her think that Philomena was dead ( :(). Another would be when she trapped her own sister in the moon for 1000 years. Think about that. 1000 freaking years for standing up for her beliefs and fighting for them. She can also use dark magic like a pro, which I find to be a bit more than unusual. Despite all of these, she loves using people, which is exactly the reason why she freed Discord ( :wub:). 

There are likely other reasons why I think Alicorns are evil, but I've either forgotten them or not yet picked them up. 

Now, as to what would happen to Twilight; could she herself become evil simply because shes an Alicorn? The magic of the Alicorns, from the view of what I've stated, is evil. Having being infatuated with magic, and now having the power of the Alicorns, wouldn't this make her much more willing to go overboard like she did to write a report to Celestia? She wants power, she wants to learn, so why not things that were previously out of her grasp? 

Please discuss and point out things I may not have noticed, I wouldn't want to base something on something completely untrue.

Eh, i don't think they're inherently evil, but i will admit the dark magic stuff is a bit confusing.

The thing is, the Elements are a good and pure harmony type of artifact, so if Alicorns where evil, i don't think she could use them.

Plus there are many times shes shown feelings, even as early as the premier of S1 where she cries, and Luna two, at their reunion. Plus more recently her hugging Twilight and showing caring for her in the premier. 

The Alicorn magic thing is a bit complex, but hopefully will be explained later.

however i don't think Alicorns are exactly inherently evil, or atleast none of the main Alicorns right now are evil.

Again, hopefully we will have some more explanation into this, and maybe Alicorns in general.

• Brohoof 1

You've brought up two issues and I'll work on each separately.

First dark magic and Alicorns. It's important to remember that Sombra was a unicorn, so one could argue that unicorns are evil since they can use dark magic. However that would be a logical fallacy. One event does not a trend make. In addition Twilight could use dark magic as a unicorn too. Also, Rainbow Dash, in Hearth's Warming Eve, mentioned unicorn's "freaky magic". Now I don't think she was referring to "dark magic", but if it is a true statement of how the other two tribes feel about unicorns, and their magic, it's interesting. We get several examples in canon (Sombra, Star Swirl, Trixie, and Sunset Shimmer) of unicorns who are, shall I say, difficult. :-) But again it doesn't follow that unicorns are evil.

The Alicorn Amulet. Now I don't have much to say about it because I don't think it's been mentioned again. You can't always trust an idea in MLP until it's used again. It could well be a one off phrase without meaning.

The "Celestia has been a naughty girl" meme. For whatever reason the fandom enjoys screwing around with Celestia and finding her faults. Maybe because she does not seem to have any (untrue) the fandom feels they must create some to save her from the dreaded "Mary Sue". Now she has done things that "from a certain point of view" might not reflect well on her, but that's the price of being a teacher, parent, or leader. Those positions often force you to do things that others might find to be wrong when they don't have to make the decision.

Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 1

Alicorns are not naturally evil but, I still think when they learn dark magic to be very confusing. The Elements of Harmony represent unity and friendship that can be used as a very powerful weapon, The Alicorn Amulet corrupts any unicorn who uses it and makes their magic even more powerful than before. Alicorns would have to contain a reason for them to become evil.

• Brohoof 1

Alicorns are not naturally evil but, I still think when they learn dark magic to be very confusing. The Elements of Harmony represent unity and friendship that can be used as a very powerful weapon, The Alicorn Amulet corrupts any unicorn who uses it and makes their magic even more powerful than before. Alicorns would have to contain a reason for them to become evil.

My theory is that certain unicorns, often magically talented ones, lack self restraint and when they become aware of what power they could attain they turn to darkness to gain it. Now Twilight was able to attain her princessship by learning the magic of friendship and not giving into her demons. I know very Jedi like but true.

I think to become a princess means you've past this test. You might be saying what about Luna? Well I think her turn to darkness came from a different place and was rooted in her despair as we know.

Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 1

My theory is that certain unicorns, often magically talented ones, lack self restraint and when they become aware of what power they could attain they turn to darkness to gain it. Now Twilight was able to attain her princessship by learning the magic of friendship and not giving into her demons. I know very Jedi like but true.

I think to become a princess means you've past this test. You might be saying what about Luna? Well I think her turn to darkness came from a different place and was rooted in her despair as we know.

You make some good points. I think the very experienced unicorns usually lose themselves without proper guidance, and start to go down a dark route and they start to become corrupt with the goal of learning dark magic.

• Brohoof 1

You make some good points. I think the very experienced unicorns usually lose themselves without proper guidance, and start to go down a dark route and they start to become corrupt with the goal of learning dark magic.

Thanks. :) It's that and also the desire for power or acknowledgement.

Thanks. :) It's that and also the desire for power or acknowledgement.

You're welcome! :) Hmm, the desire for power or acknowledgement? I agree! Sunset Shimmer is an example of that.

• Brohoof 1

could you get off the she killed a plant she is evil kick. if you go down that road you would have to call Apple Jack evil. she was killing them on her farm without a care for them.

There is good evidence that alicorn magic is neutral able to use good and evil magic.

One primary example is the beginning of the crystal empire episode where sun flak used evil magic on that shard thing and good magic to destroy them.

It's kinda invalid though when you consider that alicorns also wield "light" magic along with dark magic. Perhaps it's a sort of dual nature kind of thing, and alicorn magic is just pure, raw concentrated magic.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1

It's kinda invalid though when you consider that alicorns also wield "light" magic along with dark magic. Perhaps it's a sort of dual nature kind of thing, and alicorn magic is just pure, raw concentrated magic.

Thank you that's what I am trying to get at.

I could never explain and say all the things you guys just said as smart as all you did, but I'm reading it and understanding. My thing is that alicorns can't be truly evil, but instead, all or some alicorns are supposed to know all kinds and types of magic to make them skilled magic users and spell-casters. So I think in some point of their life, learned dark magic for a good reason: To know how it works and understand how to contain and control if it gets out of control.

My theory for Luna bout all of this, is that since she was the younger sister, she might have not been at skilled as Celestia was and didn't have her own self control and thus turned to the darkness to get what she wants.