Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Harmless things that scared you as a kid

MLP Moth

Well, when I was little I was an interesting creature. I would get really scared when I would take the CD out of the player and It said "NO DISC" and "PLEASE INSERT DISC." I thought I wasn't living up to the CD player's expectations and I thought it would eat me.

Me and a friend of mine were like " yo lettuce watch a horror movie. Its gonna be super fun and awesome. "
We watched chucky the murder doll or something like that.
Holy motherfuck.
We were scarred for the next 3 years. I was scared shitless when i saw a lookalike doll.

We were 11 or so at the time btw...

I would probably not be able to build up the courage to watch that movie now ( and trust me i have seen some shit. )

Edited by Guest

When I was a younger gamer, the bad disk error screens seemed to scare the piss out of me, with one of the biggest memories being this one

hqdefault.jpg

The red shift with the fucked up music which is like a demonic verison of the load screen sound just stuck in my mind for so long.

I have at least 7 nightmares of this sort of crap that I can still remember, with for some reason were really odd, this is not what started it though, earlier consoles did which sparked my hate for it, I guess it was so you would take care of your games but really

Screw you Sony

And there is also this freaking thing that scared me as a younger kid

mqdefault.jpg

Damnit Sega.

WHY CAN'T I PLAY A GAME WITHOUT THE CONSOLE TRYING TO SCARE ME FOR LIFE  :( 

Those disk error screens scare me too even to this day. I always run out of the room screaming. :(

The biggest fears I had when I was younger and still do today are clowns and moths. Clowns aren't that irrational, since I know a lot of people who are scared of them; but moths make no sense. Something about their furry bodies skeeves me out, bleh.

Those baby dolls that talked!  OMG  My grandma got me a talking Elmo doll when I was three and I shoved it in a box.  I about shit myself when it went off in the middle of the night.

After I watched Nightmare Before Christmas for the first time, I was deathly afraid of the idea of bugs living under my skin.  Whenever a felt a tickle on my back I though a bug was going to burst through.

Does imagination count? All I know is that as kids, it wasn't the dark that scared us. It was what we thought was in it. I overcame my fears by becoming them. To explain this better, here's what I did. I turned all of the lights off before going to bed. Stood in the middle of the living room and imagined it filled with whatever it was I was scared of at the time. Then I imagined that I was one of those things. By viewing the perspective of the monster I could understand their ways. This helped me greatly conquer my fears, and now I soak in the darkness. The thing about these monsters is they're not fake. Indeed they are real. Just in different forms as we grow older.Starting from the unknown, then the possibilities, to the fates of ourselves and those we care for, all the way back into unknown again. I know that at one point my greatest fear was that a werewolf would come after me during the nights I spent at my grandma's next to the woods. Now all it is, is some thing I'm not even completely aware of, lurking in my shadow. Waiting for something to grab a hold of, once more.

Oh and if you still have problems with monsters or know someone who does, this may come in handy.

-water

-tiny bit of lemon juice

(combine together and SPRAY in areas monsters usually lurk. Make sure you spray a bit before bed so it can take affect.)

NOTE: this product is not to be used as a means for covering up the smell of the previous nights little accident. sorry junior. There's no hiding it

I used to be afraid of balloons, because of them popping. Even at birthday parties I'd cover my ears around them. 

I can understand what you mean. Its not the balloon itself but the fear of popping, like a firecracker. I am somewhat desensitized around balloons,but you won't ever find me playing with 1, let alone popping it, just like you'll never see me handle a gun or explosive. Fun to watch them go off, but I don't have the guts or skills to wield a magnum like Clint Eastwood does.

Speaking of clowns, which regardless of me fearing or not, I will always hate, anyone remember this bastard?

zeebo-the-clown-are-you-afraid-of-the-da

He's Zeebo the Clown, a scary as shit bastard from the Nickelodeon show "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" Scared the craps outta me as a kid when I 1st saw him and also helped further my fear of the dark, another one next to loud noises that still lingers. For over 2 decades I never dared to look this guy up until I stumbled upon him in a blog reviewing the show. Pennywise is batshit crazy but he has nothing on Zeebo.

Aside from the statue of Zeebo above, you don't actually see Zeebo, save his "ghost" in the funhouse mirror in the whole episode. And yet he still manages to scare the shit outta you without lifting a finger. I hated and feared that bastard when I was a kid like most clowns, and I still do. Oh and he also uses balloons. 

Moral of that episode? Don't fuck with clowns and they won't fuck with you, especially dead clowns.

desensitized around balloons,but you won't ever find me playing with 1, let alone popping it

Yeah, well I've had balloons pop on me and it wasn't a pretty sight. Over time, I got used to it, but was still scared due to the fact that I never knew WHEN the balloon was gonna pop. That's what got me afraid. Whenever I saw someone squeezing a balloon, I would cover my ears in case it would pop! Up to this age, I still do it.  

I used to be scared of this toy train that made sounds and moved forward whenever you pressed a button. It was my brother's which he kept in his toy box, and whenever he opened it up I would climb to the top of the bunk bed in fear of him accidentally knocking the button and causing it to make those horrifying sounds.

There was also a teddy bear that we had that would make this looping low growl when turned on that I hated.

I was also afraid of toilets flushing or making noises while I was sitting on them, which caused me to absolutely refuse to use automatic toilets. even now I don't like using them because they can startle me if they go off unexpectedly.

• Brohoof 1

• 6 years later...