Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Underrated Nostalgic Cartoons?

Midnight Dragon

Are there any cartoons that you loved as a kid and still love today--but no one seems to remember or appreciate them?

I got the idea for this topic when I was watching my old tapes of The Cartoon Adventures of Larryboy. It was basically a tribute to the old cheesy superhero cartoons--with some good lessons as well. Unfortunately, it obviously didn't do so well, since it lasted only four episodes...:(

There were also chapter books based on the cartoon, a few of which were novelizations of the episodes...all I can say is that those books sure were weird :lol:

Futurama.

That show disverved so much better. With a higher budget and better writers it would be so much better. 

"Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it." And also multiverse of which Futurama had.

Teen Titans, Megas XLR, Samurai Jack, and --- Okay, that's all I can think of at the moment! I loved all three shows, and think all three deserved SOOO much more! All three had awesome writing, excellent cast of voice actors, and interesting stories.

• Brohoof 1

Futurama.

That show disverved so much better. With a higher budget and better writers it would be so much better. 

"Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it." And also multiverse of which Futurama had.

...Futurama? That series ended just this year. How is that nostalgic?

• Brohoof 1

Some probably wouldn't consider this overrated, since it's got quite a cult following even to this day, but it seemed to me that Invader Zim was always underappreciated by the mainstream. It truly deserved a longer run than it got, and I can't believe Nickelodeon - the network that let Rocko's Modern Life and Ren and Stimpy get away with so much - pussed out and forbade creator Jhonen Vasquez from going in the direction he wanted to. Sad, sad times.

Other than that, I really liked Rocket Power despite its horrendously stereotyped portrayal of West Coasters. Guilty pleasure, I guess...

• Brohoof 1

I remember a nostalgia cartoon that I loved so much. Static Shock was probably one of my favorite superhero cartoons, I just wish some people still remember it.

Static Shock? That show about the likeable guy in an urban environment who gains electricity-based powers and uses them to be completely awesome despite increasingly powerful and bizarre enemies?

e0KH19v.png

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely gotta be The Ripping Friends from the same guys, who created Ren & Stimpy! Also Megas XLR was one of those cartoons that I really loved! :)

Too bad that both of these cartoons were discontinued very early! :(

Tom and Jerry.

While it may not be underrated, it's still nostalgic.

Edited by Guest

Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, it didn't run very long(I think somewhere right around 26 episodes) but it's really good and surprisingly well written for a Saturday morning cartoon going off the premise of "let's take Sherlock Holmes and use some contrived "he was frozen and we revived him" plot to put him in the future.   

Animaniacs..
I'm not sure if it's because I'm a Brit or not, but none of my friends seem to know about this show's existence.

Some of them know about Pinky and the Brain, but none of the other brilliant characters like the Warner Brothers (and sister), Slappy the Squirrel or the Goodfeathers.

Which is kinda upsetting because I don't think there's a cartoon that's smarter or funnier than Animaniacs.

• Brohoof 1

You talk about nostalgia then lets go back to the 80's and 90's I know I know maybe some of this are from WAAAAAAY before you were born but dood this was saturday morning animation at its finest.

• Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
  • Count Duckula
  • Centurions: Power Xtreme (This cartoon had Freddy fn'g Mercury as team leader )
  • Thundarr the Barbarian
  • Gargoyles

And so many more

• Brohoof 1

I have some things that I watched when I was young, but this inclues no cartoons.
Afro Samurai, Zoboomafoo, Caillou, Bobby's World, Harry and his Bucket Full of Dinosaurs, Megas XLR, Tom and Jerry, The Powerpuff girls, My Life as a Teenage Robot, Danny Phantom, foster's mansion for imaginary friends and more.

Edited by Jingle Blue Arctic

• 4 weeks later...