Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

why doe the tree get a pass?

FNGRpony

Okay for the record i'm fine with the tree of harmoney.

and pretty much damn near everything in season 4 so far.

but how come no one said

"The tree is bull shit"

I could just as easily make all the same complaints if not more about the tree than the alicorn milk shake.

The tree is pandering in the highest order.  Fans (like myself^^ and your welcome by the way)

have bitched and whined about the elements stinking up the show.  Bam magical tree is made for the soul purpose to shut up the fans (like myself and many others).

Again i'm not bitching but i thought all things made souly to make fans happy had to suck?  Sounds like cherry picking to me.

Celestail would have known about the tree all along and never mentioned it to twilight.  That some how the origin of the elements of harmoney to the most ocd student in the whole world wouldn't have been something she wouldn't wanna  know about.

Now see I understand the answer. 
and I'm cool with it.

The writers had not thought the tree up at that time.

I'm just wondering from the fan base that whines about any hint of pandering (ANY Hint),

and doesn't like seeing major plot points pulled out of air,

that the tree gets a rubber stamp and is set on it's way

and so many people have a bug up their butt about the zebra juice.

Totally serious.  Why is it anymore bs that celestail pulled the tree out of no where than it is that zecora pulled out some vodoo vision juice?

Edited by FNGRpony
  • Brohoof 1

The Tree of Harmony may very well be something not included in Faust's original series bible.  But it shouldn't be a big stumbling block.

1.  Maybe Celestia taught Twilight about it a very long time ago, but...

2.  ...she paid little attention to something that seems like such ancient history. 

It wasn't until S4, Ep. 2 that the Tree of Harmony had any relevance to the present day.  I'm not thrilled about how it came out of nowhere, but this is more understandable than the alicorn milk.

May have came out of nowhere but I like the tree, very Yggdrasil.

And Yes Celestia would have known about it but she had no reason to tell Twilight about it. Discord knew of it too and he didn't say anything. In fact. he might have known about it before she did.

Well people probably like/tolerate the tree because:

- The tree fits perfectly within the MLP world. Mystical, crystalline tree that is quite possibly the source or manifestation of the greater magic force within the world? Not hard to believe. And not an uncommon idea in fiction.

- The tree has a purpose. Controls the Everfree Forest and explains where the Elements came from.

- The tree forces the characters to get rid of the magic cure-all buttons they wore around their necks. Lots of people were getting sick of the, "The world's in danger, blast it with the Elements" formula.

Now while the potion that Zecora had also fits fine within the MLP world and has a purpose, they are too many questions about it that just can't be ignored. I don't really have questions about the tree. I totally buy that their are ancient mystical entities/forces/monuments all through this universe and that the immortal Princesses happen to know about some of them.

But why did Zecora have that potion?

She couldn't use it herself and claims only an alicorn could. There are only four alicorns in the world.

Did she just make it because she saw the recipe in an ancient book and said, heck why not?

If she did, how on Earth did she just happen to make just the right potion for this situation? Did she just whip it up right before fleeing her house? Seems more like she's had it ready for a while. Why is that?

One suggestion I heard was possibly that Celestia commissioned her to make it as part of more advanced studies for Twilight.

That would have been a fine explanation, but the episode doesn't indicate that that was the case. And again, we don't even know if Celestia knows Zecora personally.

And there seems to be confusion on what exactly the potion does.

Does it only take you back in time, or does it more specifically show you things that would be helpful to any questions you need solved at that moment?

Maybe you could have fixed it by saying that Zecora just happened to have a potion that let's you see into the past, instead of saying that it is a special alicorn potion. But then that raises the question, how would Zecora know that you'd need to see into the past to figure out what was happening to the forest? Is she psychic? Can she tell the future? Possible, but we don't know that.

So all of these problems pop up with the potion.

But the Tree of Harmony? It's a magical protective tree that is the source of the EoH.

I can totally just accept that something like that exists in Equestria.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 4

I think the reason fans aren't that upset about it is we are learning to trust the writers. So many of us thought Equestria Girls was going to kill the franchise, but as we saw, it came and went and nothing bad came of it. Many of us even liked it. Same goes for Alicorn Twilight. We were so upset and we thought it was just a marketing ploy for toys. We thought nothing good would come of it, but we saw how well it was handled in the season four premiere and we know it's going to be okay. So I think we are willing to give the tree a chance and not complain until we see where it's going, based on how well other potentially earth-shattering story devices have worked out.

The tree at least makes sense and creates some interesting additions to the mythology of the series.  As to why it was never mentioned- frankly it didn't really matter.

Zecora's potion, on the other hand, seems a little too convenient and one really wonders why she had it to begin with, what it does exactly, and how come Zecora knows it can only be activated by Alicorn magic.  It requires too many suspensions of disbelief for it to really work.

Well I don't really see anything worth complaining about concerning the tree- it was an interesting new plot point and sheds light on how Celestia and Luna got the Elements of Harmony in the first place, so I don't see anything wrong with it personally.

The Tree of Harmony concludes the episode really well and I think the reason why Celestia didn't mention it to Twilight earlier is because she wanted to wait until she was more capable enough to hear it. 

This. So much this.

I don't have much to say about the harmony tree , other than it seemed really damn convenient and had never been mentioned until this episode. You're think that a magic tree this crucial to the overthrow of discord and future of equestria might have had its own part in history and legend, but nope. Noponies ever mentioned it before now.

Zecora's potion didn't totally come out of nowhere either, IMO. I mean, come on. She's a shaman witch doctor... thing. Seems pretty unsurprising that a shaman would carry a potion that induces magic hallucinations/visions. Only thing that seemed off was that it was alicorn related... Totally pointless. That sounds more like flawed writing which could have been easily avoided. Instead of pulling out a pre-made, alicorn specific potion that tells the drinker why everything was happening, it would have made more sense if Zecora had the ingredients on hand and made the potion on the spot. Instead of it being an alicorn specific, it could have been changed into a more general magic potion. Like, say a potion that allows the drinker to see the past, or a potion that will slowly reveal whatever answers the drinker seeks.

Edited by crazitaco

The only problem I have with the tree is, it is one of those plot twists where the writers introduce something out of nowhere in a new episode. So, there's that.

And i agree with this and yet i'm still cool with the tree,

i just feel like no one had talked about it.

The Tree of Harmony may very well be something not included in Faust's original series bible.  But it shouldn't be a big stumbling block.

1.  Maybe Celestia taught Twilight about it a very long time ago, but...

2.  ...she paid little attention to something that seems like such ancient history. 

It wasn't until S4, Ep. 2 that the Tree of Harmony had any relevance to the present day.  I'm not thrilled about how it came out of nowhere, but this is more understandable than the alicorn milk.

well i don't need it to be from faust.

Was it part of the writers plans at any time before season 4?  guess that's a question for the writers.

This. So much this.

I don't have much to say about the harmony tree , other than it seemed really damn convenient and had never been mentioned until this episode. You're think that a magic tree this crucial to the overthrow of discord and future of equestria might have had its own part in history and legend, but nope. Noponies ever mentioned it before now.

Zecora's potion didn't totally come out of nowhere either, IMO. I mean, come on. She's a shaman witch doctor... thing. Seems pretty unsurprising that a shaman would carry a potion that induces magic hallucinations/visions. Only thing that seemed off was that it was alicorn related... Totally pointless. That sounds more like flawed writing which could have been easily avoided. Instead of pulling out a pre-made, alicorn specific potion that tells the drinker why everything was happening, it would have made more sense if Zecora had the ingredients on hand and made the potion on the spot. Instead of it being an alicorn specific, it could have been changed into a more general magic potion. Like, say a potion that allows the drinker to see the past, or a potion that will slowly reveal whatever answers the drinker seeks.

I mean seriously i think i'd be entirely cool with the tree if celestail hinted along the lines this is one of many things,

that she will reveal in due time.

I mean honestly.... shouldn't knowing about the tree of harmoney come before being made into a alicorn?

• Brohoof 1