Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you like realistic or unrealistic fan fiction.

Bendy

Do you like realistic or unrealistic fan fiction.  

19 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like realistic or unrealistic fan fiction.

• Realistic
    • Unrealistic

Do you like realistic or unrealistic fan fiction? Well as realistic as a story gets where magical Ponies are present. I like a story being realistic at least in terms of the reactions of a characters and people.

Unrealistic story example, Applejack kills her whole family and everyone is Ponyville doesn't give a damn. A realistic example would be Applejack facing life in prison.

Another example of an unrealistic reaction that would only happen if Human or Ponies had the mindset of Teletubbies in a weird parallel universe, Evil Conversion Bureau Ponies attacks the Human race and want them to be turned into Zombie Newfoals, and Humans is all like "We won't even fight you! Because Humanity sucks!" That's like saying Humanity in Mass Effect would welcome the Reapers attacking Earth because "we suck".

Realistic example, the moment the evil TCB Ponies let humanity know what their intentions are, almost the entire Human race would go apeshit and war would be immediately declared. Whether one side or the other wins, depends on the type of TCB Ponies that are attacking and the type of Human defending, multiverse and all that stuff.

Edited by Rush

I prefer realistic fanfics. The fanfic needs to at least make sense and be believable for me to enjoy it. That's one thing I look for in romance fics. Can this actually happen? If yes, then I will find enjoyment in the story. If it is some random nonsense thrown together, chances are I won't enjoy it.

• Brohoof 1

I do like the alternate universe fanfics... like the one I wrote myself, its not ''realistic'' in the ponyverse because its based on my imagination.

I dont like when the stories are ''realistic'' to the show or you know... someone writing about something that could actualy happen even tho I kinda perfer Pinkie Pie to be Pinkie Pie and not a cräckhead

Realistic by far and away - but most of that has to do with the storytelling. It all hinges on how well the author can sell the given plot, and not in what actually happens.

Doctor Who had a zillion fictitious things that were fairly nonsensical, but the story was told so well that most people don't even question it. The same idea applies to fics; if someone can set up the story correctly, and use convincing terms early on, the story will seem more plausible.

Edited by CloudFyre
  • Brohoof 1

I definitely prefer realistic canon fics over nonrealistic fics, but if I like the story enough then I don't care if its canon or not. In my mind all fics and the show are different worlds so it doesn't bother me much. I'm not talking about the crazy fics though. I don't read any fics where a character is too out of character unless its for a good reason.

I like fics that take show canon, and adapt it into an original storyline. This storyline can be as plausible (like most slice-of-life fics) or as outlandish (Fallout Equestria; Of War and Friendship) as it wants to be. As long as it's well-written, I'll probably enjoy it.

If by "realistic", you mean "not utterly nonsensical", then yes, I do enjoy storylines that have a bit of common sense to them. Ergo, Littlepip, a spoiled stable pony with 0 world experience, just journeys out into the wastes, and tries to fight problems that she had no idea even existed until a few days ago...

Obviously, she's going to learn the hard way that things are not that simple. She's not just going to be an insta-hero, she's going to make the kind of horrible mistakes that would haunt anyone for the rest of their lives.

That's the kind of "realism" that I like.

It has to make some sense for me.

It dosn't have to be over the top as real as possible, just make sense when it needs to an not be stupid.

Unless its stupid for the sake to being stupid then thats fine.

Well that's tough because the closer to cannon it is, the more you'll recognise the characters you're reading the fanfic for. On the other hand, if its too close to cannon there's no point. Of course on the end of the spectrum; its really nice to see a fanfic authors views and ideas about a character, It makes it more original and better to read. Though if the characters are too OOC, more often than not you wind up with crack-fics.

All in all, I've got to say, I prefer more unrealistic or further from cannon, It fun to see an author take a character I love and add their own ideas and vision to them.

I like when fanfics respect the canon of their source material. I'm a big fan of elsewhere fics or sequels fics, which can be enjoyed as an expanded universe that doesn't screw with continuity and doesn't create plot holes.

This is the main reason I got into fanfiction in the first place, I love the challenge and the spike in creativity that comes with having to work within the limits of an already established canon.

I like realistic fics, but some unrealistics should be there to spice up the fic.

That's what I do in my fic, everything seem to make sense, then suddenly, something weird. It really has an impact. :)

That depends on your definition of realistic. True realism in my fandoms' fanfictions will make me NOPE my way out of there faster than Rarity running from a mud puddle.

But if you're referring to staying true and "realistic" in contrast to the original media they're from... well, I'm not necessarily for or against either.

While I do expect a fanfic of such to be taken seriously, and OOC is never acceptable, watching characters do something outside of their realms of understanding and even perhaps their reality itself can be very interesting, especially if done right.

So, I claim neutrality.