Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old is Celestia?...and do Ponies ever die?

Seaweed-Headed Dragon

Celestia is suppose to be old. Very.very old. Over 1000 years old. Yet she still looks the same. Yeah I get that it might be because she's magical and a Princess. So how long does an average pony live? Or do they just never die?

(Yes I might be going a little overboard because this is still a cartoon. But I'm just wondering :P )

all we know is that alicorns are able to grow this old.

for all we know, a normal pony lives just a normal lifetime. tough i guess in the magical land of equestria this isn't really tha case...

... what the case is then? well, i have no idea :P

Well, we don't really know what a pony's lifespan is, given that Granny Smith seems to be hundreds of years old, (although this is debatable), but I would say that ponies definitely can die, as otherwise there would have to be a very low birth rate, otherwise everypony would starve and have nowhere to live and the whole of Equestria would be very crowded. 

But Celestia would seem to have a greater lifespan than most ponies.

Edited by Questioner Returned

Well we've seen ponies from the past in many episodes before. It's likely that they died and live an average life span. I'm thinking that the alicorns are immortal because they can live for this thousands or years.

Edited by CowBob RanchPants

Celestia is reported to be over a thousand years old, but we don't really have a sense of scale as to how long their 'years' are relative to ours.

We know that ponies have funerals, or at least have coffins and what appears to be a priest officiating over them.

Unfortunately, we also 'know' that Granny Smith is possibly hundreds of years old as she was present when Ponyville was founded, and earth ponies have been celebrating Winter Wrap up in Ponyville for hundreds of years according to Twilight. Either Twilight was exaggerating (which is completely in character for her), ponies have quite a long lifespan normally, or Equestrian years are a lot shorter than ours.

I go into more detail here: It’s a Matter of Scale: A Stitch in Time (Part 1) and here: It's a Matter of Scale: A Stitch in Time (Part 2)

They can die, they just have long life span. Maybe she uses magic to look the same? I don't know. Botox? Magic? Who knows, but ponies can die :(

I wish they could live forever! :(

No you don't. When you reach the age where your body starts doing stuff without your permission, you know you've lived long enough XD

Okay Celestia and Luna can live forever cause they are alicorns and now since Twilight is a alicorn she can live forever now.

Not quite: Luna and Celestia are born Alicorns. Twilight & Cadence are created alicorns which apparently while sharing a similiar level of power are not immortal.

Edited by Malinter

No you don't. When you reach the age where your body starts doing stuff without your permission, you know you've lived long enough XD

Not quite: Luna and Celestia are born Alicorns. Twilight & Cadence are created alicorns which apparently while sharing a similiar level of power are not immortal.

Luna and celestia live about a 1000 years or maybe even longer

I'm not sure what the average lifespan of ponies are, but I do believe that they die of old age sooner or later. If they didn't, Equestria would have overpopulation problems (Just like Earth. ZING!). It's held clear in my mind that they can die of old age because there are old ponies in the show. Granny Smith and that one pony holding the funeral. So, it's clear that they can grow old and die, but I like to believe that Ponyville is mostly full of young folk, who are still in their prime.

Celestia is obviously over 1000 years old, but we don't know how much over 1000 she is. I'll let the fact that she doesn't age slide mainly because of alicorn status. Alicorns hold greater magical abilities than the ordinary unicorn and are probably able to keep themselves young with the use of magic. That or maybe slow aging comes with the turf.

Luna and celestia live about a 1000 years or maybe even longer

i thought you meant all ponies not just the sisters. if none of them died it would be awful in the long run.

On the subject of the sisters, why is Celestia older in appearance than Luna. Both are ageless so why did Luna stop at her current size? It's probably just Luna liking Celestia to be the big sister, literally. :)

Well we've seen ponies from the past in many episodes before. It's likely that they died and live an average life span. I'm thinking that the alicorns are immortal because they can live for this thousands or years.

I agree with you, but reather then being immortal I like to think that they can choose when they wish to die and move on.

(I have to admit I would love Celestia to eventually die and give over the rule to Luna and Twilight, but I don't see this happening in a show aimed at 4 year olds where they need to sell toys).

On the subject of the sisters, why is Celestia older in appearance than Luna. Both are ageless so why did Luna stop at her current size? It's probably just Luna liking Celestia to be the big sister, literally. :)

That's very likely, actually. Given Luna's appearance change between first and second season, and her demonstrating shapeshifting powers, this lines up very nicely with a number of 'real world' mythologies that basically state that once you've truly mastered shapeshifting to the point that your appearance is whatever you want it to be at any time, you are effectively ageless. If that's true then what we saw in Season 1 was Luna as she appeared when she fully mastered shapeshifting and stopped aging. Celestia would likely has a similar 'base form' from whenever she mastered shapeshifting, if that was at a different time.

So the way they appear now is completely deliberate, and is the way they *want* to look. They *choose* to be that size, with the special manes and whatnot. And Luna is consciously deciding to appear that much younger than Celestia.

Considering we know for a fact from Mr. and Ms.Cake that ponies are reproductive, you can safely assume that ponies can die w/o ever having to pointing out the funeral and coffin in Hearts and Hooves Day. Why? Well if they reproduced and have been at it for over 1000 years and never died, there would have been very noticeable overpopulation crisis in Equestria by now.

Celestia and Luna may be immortal, and easily over 1000 years old, but I doubt they are begotten, not made or existing since time began basically. Their diaries found in the old castle in the Everfree Forest, implies a time when Luna and Celestia were young fillies getting used to and having fun in the castle.

Twilight Sparkle: Spike, you've got to hear this. [reading] I love to duck behind the paintings, and though the Hall of Hooves still gives her a bit of a fright, the trap door slide is Luna's favorite. Spike: "Hall of Hooves"? Twilight Sparkle: [reading] Soon the Organ to the Outside will be finished. I can hardly wait. Spike: What's the "Organ to the Outside"? Twilight Sparkle: [happily] I have no idea!

Obviously, its purely speculation, but it suggests a time when the Celestial sisters were young and having fun, playing kids games like hide and seek. A happier time to say the least.

We also know from the Tree of Harmony that it has Celestia and Luna's symbols, much like the Elements of Harmony, which I am willing to guess is a good indication that their powers were borrowed or derived from the Tree itself. Why is this significant? Well it suggests that at some point Celestia and Luna were mere mortals and perhaps they still are in many respects. We also know that there's no notable mention or hint of Celestia and Luna in Hearth's Warming Eve, which apparently recalls the founding of Equestria. This suggests that Equestria itself is much older than Celestia and Luna themselves.

For me though I would say that Celestia and Luna retain substantial traces of their formal mortal selves,which is a good thing because it makes them more relatable to the audience as supporting role model characters to both the protagonist, the Mane 6, Equestria and yes to viewers.

• Brohoof 1

Okay Celestia and Luna can live forever cause they are alicorns and now since Twilight is a alicorn she can live forever now.

of course they die.

See again instead of worrying about ponies dying i would push for an after life in the show.  Which i already argue because they have tartuis there is.

cause it's a place that holds ancient evil spirits.

I think luna and celestail would be more likely to move on than just straight up die.  Ascend and leave their subjects to govern them selves.

They do die of old age sooner or later, in their later years. Celestia is about 1000 years old, Alicorns can find many ways to keep themselves young for a long time, if they choose to do so. So, there's your answer.

They do die of old age sooner or later, in their later years. Celestia is about 1000 years old, Alicorns can find many ways to keep themselves young for a long time, if they choose to do so. So, there's your answer.

you know that could be an illusion.  Imagine if when Chyseslas knocked her out she would have withered. the panick and fear the cast and the fans would have had.

you know that could be an illusion.  Imagine if when Chyseslas knocked her out she would have withered. the panick and fear the cast and the fans would have had.

Knocking her out, did not kill her. Even if you imagine it, the illusion is not real. Knocking someone unconscious, does not kill them unless the blow to them is either severe or they suffer severe injuries.

In my mind, if she was *really* knocked out I think she would more likely revert to what she looked like before she started with the transformational magic. Like what happened to Luna when Nightmare Moon was stripped out of her.

Well, death probaly won't be a subject on the show almost ever, but who knows.

However, there was the coffin in hearts and hooves day, so ponies must die.

How long they live is anyones guess, for all we know maybe magic enhances their life times, or maybe it shortens it, or maybe they just live normal human age lives.

we don't really know.

We don't know for sure of Celestia or any of the Alicorns are immortal either.

However, i think if any are immortal its Celestia and Luna, and their flowing hair is a representation of this.

Just a theory though.

i thought you meant all ponies not just the sisters. if none of them died it would be awful in the long run.

Yeah, from a show creator's standpoint it's gotta be for "little sister" purposes. But in-world, I don't see any problem with them simply growing to different height depending on what genes they inherited from each parent, nutrition, hormonal disorders, etc.. For example, my dad is pretty tall, but his brother is Celestia tall :lol:

I agree with you, but reather then being immortal I like to think that they can choose when they wish to die and move on.

(I have to admit I would love Celestia to eventually die and give over the rule to Luna and Twilight, but I don't see this happening in a show aimed at 4 year olds where they need to sell toys).

Celestia has been alone for 1000 years. She deserves at least another 1000 of happiness with Luna, Twilight and Spike before she goes.

But I do think it's possible that their lifespan is by choice rather than inherent. In Magic Duel, age spells are shown to be possible, so it may be that Celestia and Luna are the only two living ponies capable of casting them, and use it on themselves to stay young. In that case, they could also stop and let themselves age, or even turn themselves old and die right away. If that's the case, then chances are Twilight will be able to do the same long before her natural lifespan is up. Maybe even keep all her friends alive too, although you start getting into iffy moral territory there.

Celestia and Luna may be immortal, and easily over 1000 years old, but I doubt they are begotten, not made or existing since time began basically. Their diaries found in the old castle in the Everfree Forest, implies a time when Luna and Celestia were young fillies getting used to and having fun in the castle.

The journal does make them sound young when they lived in that castle, but I doubt they were born there. In S4E02, you can see that the castle is right next to the tree of harmony cave, so it's pretty safe to assume that they discovered the tree, used the elements on Discord, and then built a castle next to the tree. And since they looked the same as their present-day forms in the flashbacks, they must have been born somewhere else.

But they could still have been just recently full grown.

Or maybe they'll start installing silly traps in Canterlot castle now that they're together again :lol:

Edited by dekutree64

Oh, other ponies besides the princesses absolutely die.

It would be rather awful if they didn't, since they are blatantly shown to age and become more frail, physically and mentally. By that logic, if they never died, they'd just get weaker and weaker FOREVER, until they they were just vegetables.

It's POSSIBLE that they just have long-ish lifespans (though I don't really believe it, I think they age like humans beings do). But even then we know that characters like Star Swirl the Bearded, and the leaders that founded Equestria in the Hearth's Warming Eve story aren't around anymore. Because they died a long time ago.

Also Granny Smith's parents aren't shown being around.

They built that farm from the ground up. If they were still around, why would they not be there?

They're not still around. They died, like all mortal creatures do.

The creators of the show have stated that Twilight will NOT outlive her friends.

That only mean two things:

1) Twilight is immortal and all her friends will become immortal too, or...

2) Twilight, as an ascended alicorn, is mortal and will die just like her friends will.

• Brohoof 1