Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you embarrassed to play videogames in public?

jackleapp81

No... I don't really care if they see me playing my PSP. Only a few times had I brough it to school. (It was finals day or listen to music when walking home.) Other times I would bring it with me when I go somewhere. So no... I really don't care if anypony said anything. Also I never heard anyone being made fun of for that.

Haha, nope, most of my fellow peers in software engineering are also avid gamers! Plus honestly, how different is playing a video game in public from running into the average person with their nose pressed against the screen of their phone? I don't find it embarrassing in the slightest.

• Brohoof 1

just another one of those stigma's that society throws down.

It is of late known for child predators to be using nintendo products to lure kids in apparently. though it is RARE to actually happen, the news media makes it seem like its an everyday occurrence.

Much like razor blades and poison in candy during halloween, causing most areas to shutdown regular trick-or-treating in favor of local events in parking lots, schools, or churches.

Its in PART true, but only by the close minded that think everything the news media blathers about is 100% fact of anyone they don't personally know.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

I can totally relate. My family has never been supportive of gaming at all, and my parents even make fun of me for getting Pokemon or Mario games, games that I should've "outgrown" long ago, as they would put it. It's difficult to be completely secure in what you like when everyone around you isn't. 

That's exactly how it was. I mean, my family wasn't exactly super  against me playing games but they always gave off that feel of disapproval and I picked up on it. Even now I'm not really sure what they think about gaming. Either way the damage has already been done: playing games in front of those who may not approve of it, those who may look down on it, it just kind of feels wrong now. 

• Brohoof 2

When I was young, I worried that I'd become a nerd and get bullied a lot. This was because all the TV shows I watched had this going on and I viewed nerds as smart people. The fact that I considered myself smart worried me of that prospect. So I gave myself an attitude and now have a reputation for not taking shit from anyone. In other words, I bark a lot and don't bite. until you get close that is(still barking). I soon discovered that where I live few get picked on, for much of anything. Do we make fun of each other, yeah. but all in good fun. Part of the reason I have this attitude of mine, is because once I accidentally took my shirt off in front of a bunch of kindergartners. I meant to take my long sleeve off but the short sleeve decided to stick to it. i was embarrassed. But a moment later I realized something. What did I have to be embarrassed about? Nothing. who cares what those kids think not me. they didn't really react to it either, kindergartners rarely do I suppose. So the way I see it and how I think others should is like this. What others think of you doesn't matter because they aren't you. All in reasonable situations of course. To answer this question, I would say no. I am not embarrassed to play video games in public. Those hanging out with me at the time might feel embarrassed because they're hanging out with some teen yelling and cussing like there's no tomorrow. Or like there's only one lap left and I'm in dead last.

I'm not really embarrassed to play video games in public, since I'm used to playing video games with other people. On the other hand, I'm embarrassed to watch My Little Pony in public.

• Brohoof 2

Not in the slightest. I play video games in public on the 3DS and Vita. I play video games at the arcade with the utmost concentration. I wear shirts with video game characters on them too. No shame in hiding in your passions.

• Brohoof 1

Absolutely not! Why, since I was a wee lad I'd try and take my Game Boy with me wherever I went(uh, at least I think I did, not too clear on where I took what in my wee lad memories), and to this day I'll usually have my 3DS in my pocket when I go out, which is even made fun when you're not playing it with Streetpass! I play games all the time in public and there's nothing wrong with that. :D

• Brohoof 1

I'm guilty of this. I'll give you some background:

Okay, so picture being a teenage girl. Now put that teenage girl in a tiny school with only eight other girls in her grade. Now make all those other girls your typical white teenage girl. Okay, that should put you up to speed

I had started playing animal crossing again, and kept it under my pillow just cuz. I had a friend over, she found it, I lied and said my sister must have left it there.

It's difficult having such a limited choice of friends, and also I had some bad experiences earlier on. I get easily intimidated by people who I believe have "power" over me, and I hide my nerdy self to avoid being an outcast, because I've been there before. I find it easier to just play it safe and not bring up my nerdy side

Why should I? Hell I've had fun conversations from people at bus stops to my English Professor(who also turned out to be a Persona fan surprisingly), all from seeing me playing the PSP and DS and etc. Never once have I been chastised for it

When everybody and their friend is playing video games in public, why should I be embarrassed to play mine?

If anyone judges me for anything I like, they're nothing more than close-minded garbage to me. Your friend should realize that, too.

Nope, I really couldn't care less. If people feel the need to judge me in a negative light from the fact that I play video games alone, then they really aren't worth my time. Honestly, most of the time I don't really care what other people think of me as long as I'm happy with who I am, them thinking I'm odd for being a gamer isn't going to change that.

Well I don't feel like people are tearing me down for playing video games in public. At most, I feel judged in the sense that when people are watching over my shoulder, they are expecting me to preform perfectly and at any mistake i get a glance at. But being a childish toy? Naaa! Not at all!

Well I don't feel like people are tearing me down for playing video games in public. At most, I feel judged in the sense that when people are watching over my shoulder, they are expecting me to preform perfectly and at any mistake i get a glance at. But being a childish toy? Naaa! Not at all!

Last time I was at the arcade, I was doing pretty great in Super Street Fighter 4: AE 2012. Then this guy came over and started watching me. I barely got one hit in. So I feel your pain.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...
(edited)

I only get embarrassed when I'm flashed with an unexpected pair of anime tits on my Vita. This almost happened with Persona 4 Golden.

Otherwise I'm more than fine with playing video games in public, it's my thing

Edited by Whompy Whomperson
  • Brohoof 1

On 12/2/2013 at 10:11 PM, Grand_Finale said:

I'm guilty of this. I'll give you some background:

Okay, so picture being a teenage girl. Now put that teenage girl in a tiny school with only eight other girls in her grade. Now make all those other girls your typical white teenage girl. Okay, that should put you up to speed

I had started playing animal crossing again, and kept it under my pillow just cuz. I had a friend over, she found it, I lied and said my sister must have left it there.

It's difficult having such a limited choice of friends, and also I had some bad experiences earlier on. I get easily intimidated by people who I believe have "power" over me, and I hide my nerdy self to avoid being an outcast, because I've been there before. I find it easier to just play it safe and not bring up my nerdy side

I think that you're hurting yourself by doing that, after all, people can only really have power over you if you give it to them. There's nothing unusual about someone playing animal crossing so you shouldn't have to lie about it.

I didn't even know people got embarrassed playing games in public tbh

• Brohoof 1

I normally play video games on my PC so not usually playing out in public but sometimes if I had to be somewhere for a while I play on my 3DS.  I don't really think there should be any shame in playing video games in public, so long as it isn't something like eroge or something similar.

On the rare instances where I play video games at all, I'm not embarrassed by the fact. It's just a game, what of it? I might, on the other hand, feel somewhat sheepish playing video games while someone is scrutinizing how bad I am at them. Especially when a twelve year old is laughing at my lack of patience, coordination and overall skill. :pout:

Video games aren't the thing that I mind people making rude comments about. I could start playing Clash Royale if I wanted to and some people would be all "Lol that game's for middle schoolers" and I won't care. It's not cringy enough for me to worry about what people say.