Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you embarrassed to play videogames in public?

jackleapp81

I just can't concentrate when others are near me, that's the extent of it, unless I am being terribly and horribly weird like in fallout playing with dead bodies or lewd mods or such then yeah, I don't let people see what I am doing lol. Also near people critical of games I tend to avoid.

(edited)

Well I don't play many video games anymore, hence I don't do so in public. But according to some people's theories there is a possibility that our entire existence is in fact a simulation and so you could say we're all playing a video game, inside and out. :blink:

Edited by Roughshod

I don't own any portable consoles (rip dsi) or home consoles (rip wii) but if I owned a switch I would NOT hid it! I'd go up to the people who teased me and show off my Zelda progress saying, "Want a turn?" Why? As they most likely are teasing me since they want a chance to play! I mean, a NINTENDO SWITCH? Coolest console around!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I own mostly portable consoles. So I'm not embarrassed to play videogames out in public. I mean their are probably worse things someone could do out in public.

Edited by PrincessOfCompassion
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

The average gamer is 35 years old. I don't think your friend should have anything to worry about, as gaming is something that people of all ages can enjoy.

If you need further reassurance, my grandmother still plays Super Mario Bros. on the NES. And as for me, I don't care if people my preferred hobbies or activities are immature. They can shove it.

Edited by Halberd

• 3 weeks later...

There isn't anything wrong with bringing your games with you, especially if you're on a train or plane and need something to do! I'm not a gamer, though I bring my art tablet to work sometimes to draw while on break. I felt slightly dorky and shy about doing it in public at first, since none of my coworkers are even remotely familiar with it, though it doesn't bother me at all nowadays! A fear of what others think shouldn't stop you from doing your hobbies in public! :) 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

This all depends on the video game system in question especially the Portable Ones.

Do you all still play the R-Zone and Virtual Boy outside even to this day? If you play these torture devices be embarrassed. Very embarrassed.

250px-Tiger-RZone-Headset.jpg

703569a4c240dcdb5bcb44c5d09ebe85.jpg 

If not, then no worries people won't mind you at all playing with your Gameboy Advance SP or DS or the original Gameboy.

Edited by ZethaPonderer

Well no. I mean i never usually do it because i am not really a phone or handheld gaming person. But thats because i never feel that into those type of stuff. But if you want too then go for it. I am more of a PC person, but i love outdoors mostly.

Wait this is a thing? People still consider video games nothing more than a child's toy? Even though a large portion of the market specifically caters to adults? :P

The most quality of games are either going to be for adults or have no specific age range. With very few exceptions.

• Brohoof 2

Heh. Flea market I recently visited had an actual upright of Metal Slug II - never played that on the real hardware before, but mamed it enough times there were a bunch of kids standing stunned as I slam-dunked the first two levels without losing a life :D

Kinda, sometimes playing games in public leads to some interesting situations.

I learned that playing Worms Open Warfare 2 on your DS automatically determines your sexual orientation as a homosexual, no doubt about it, so thanks Team17 for bringing me out of the closet!

• 4 weeks later...

Not at all. I go to university and I sometimes have an hour or so to kill between classes, so I bring my 3DS with me and play it in the seating area of the university's entrance where loads of people pass by. ^_^ I've never heard of people being embarrassed about playing video games in public before.

Edited by EightBit
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, because it's my private hobby for when I'm alone and have nothing better to do, I enjoy it because I enjoy doing it alone without people around me. All that would happen if a lot of people saw me play video games is they'd try to back seat game which is never a fun thing when you're the one trying to play and enjoy. I play video games to retreat from the world, not invite it in further, if I'm playing video games with anybody beside me, it's with what I consider good company. 

• 1 month later...

Not really, I've always got my 3DS in my bag and if I'm sitting anywhere for a good amount of time I'll pull that out and play it for awhile. I get a little self conscious if I take one of my old gameboys out and play them in public though

• Brohoof 1

Playing Pokemon in the waiting room at the dentist's for example is a good way to pass the time. When I'm having a good time on my own, I don't have the time to worry about what others might think. :D I don't think I'm embarrassed to play on my 3DS in public since I know it really isn't that unusual a thing to do.

Not really, no... I don't own a handheld console yet (emphasis on yet), but I doubt I would mind playing it in public. Hell, that would be the very reason why I would get myself a 3DS! Just so I could play it outside, when I'm not home playing games on my home console! :D

I used to have a PSP and when i am driving with a bus to my job or drive home or have dinner, i sometimes play some games on it. I used to play Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles and both Dissidia games alot on it.

• Brohoof 1