Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Warhammer 40k

Commissar_Elusive

It's alright. Things haven't gotten any better, lol. Still the same grimdark goodness. I think we've gone back in time a little, because the 13th Black Crusade pretty much began on the last day of the 41st millennium; but then nothing ever goes beyond that. Even though the Medusa Campaign was years later, it's canon date is before the 13th BC.

• 3 weeks later...

I can probably make this into a thing. If I do, the plan is to only being Combat Patrol games.

That is:

400 point limit

No models with 2+ saves

No models with more than 1 wound (swarm units are the only exception)

No vehicles with a total armour value greater than 33 (front + side + rear)

Must have 1 HQ choice

Must have 1 Troop choice.

Thankfully these games don't last more than 20 minutes, so we don't need to worry about those loooong apocalypse games. If there are enough people who want to have this done, I'll bring it up at the next meeting or something. I've been looking for an opportunity to show off my Fluttershy themed Valkyrie.

It easy when you set limits to your list. The most reasonable path to get into the game is to buy a single squad, never buy those army boxes. Even though it's technically a complete army, the amount of models you have to assemble/paint is a bit overwhelming and buyers remorse usually sets in after a while.

How I got into the Imperial Guard is I just bought a single squad, then sort of built it up from their.

Well, I'd highly reccomend buying the starter boxes. you save about 400-700 dollars if you buy the boxed set, as opposed to buying everything else seperately, and the set itself is only 70 (the only thing that comes cheap with GW stuff, the main reason why I dont really play anymore >_>). In fact, you could buy the starter box, make your money back with the models you didnt use (through ebay, or other means of orky 'persuasion'), or, simply have two armies to build and try out. It also comes with the rules, and some quickstart variations, and some actually incredibly nice one-off models to start. You cannot lose with a box like that.

In this one, you get generic space marines, and Space orks. Who doesn't love space orks? They have junk-copters and freakin' terminator armored bullies! How awesome is that!

And if you dont like that, the space marines come with vehicles, and some really cool imper-...man I sound like a salesman. Sorry. Years of talking to GW employees/managers will do that to you >_>

If you want to save money, buy the starter box. its the only thing that is really worth your money when you go into that store. and, if you ask the guys at the GW, or the hobby store you go to, they'll probably be more than happy to run a demo game. Because hey, if they're anything like the store that closed down here, buying those sets will really help them out as a franchise location, keeping them there. Just, you know, for the record.

...as well, I have the list written out, and ready for that combat patrol. Bringin' my Vostroyans to the table, unless people want me to do a different list. I'll also be bringing my infinity (and a buncha other games), if anyone wants to learn that in the time off of games, so you can see the greatness of the other, non-GW games, and save a buncha money on your Nerd Insurance...If anyone's interested anyway. Fur deh emprah?

*is never writing posts when he is tired ever again*

Yeah about that.... When Black Reach was first released, it was worth it, but since they keep raising the price on those things every other time I visit, they don't seem as cheap as they once were. I think they run at around $120 now days. Save $400-$700?!? What in Holy Terra are you going to get, a Titan? If your unsure whether or not you wish to invest yourself in the game, get one of those new Citadel Finecast packs to play around with. If all else fails, they'd be a decent RPG model.

I plan on bringing my Imperial Guard as well. Gonna see if my Valkyrie is legal first though, if not then I have plenty of conscripts to fill in the requirements.

...Crap you're right. Sorry, when I played last, it was freakin' 70 dollars XD...120?! What is this madness!

But, you're still saving quite a bit. You get a rulebook (which is condensced, but they only left out painting guides and other such fivolity), which is $70 last I checked (could be more now), terminators which are $60, tactical squad is $45, Commander: $30 and a dreadnaught which is $55. for a grand total of $260 so far, for just the rulebook and space marines. you get a free ork army, that breaks down into two boxes of boyz ($70 rounded up a bit), warboss (20-50 dollars), a box 'o Nobz (30 dollars), and 3 deffkoptas (amazing models, going at 40 dollars each for a whopping 120 dollars for the three of them).

This totals roughly $500-530 worth of models/books in the box (taken from the canadian GW site, probably cheaper in america) depending on what warboss you get. And then you get dice, and all that fun stuff which I wont count, because you should have those anyway. thats a savings of $380-410 dollars (thats like, rent for the month!). its a very good idea to get the starter box, unless you're going off of Ebay, or battlewagon bitz (or you hate marines and orks, which is understandable). In both ebay or a third-party seller, you're probably getting the same, or higher prices than the starter box itself. Besides, marines and Orks are overpowered last I checked, and the stuff in the marines half of the box is a really good launch pad for any new player.

...My goodness, I'm glad I stopped buying this stuff XD. This game is madness now, and apparently only getting higher. But, IIRC, Valks arent legal in combat patrol, cause they're 12-12-10 armor. Chimeras are fine though, and I highly reccomend taking one. Vehicles at such a low points is a huge up for you, especially since the new orders mechanic lets you do a buncha nasty things from inside of it.

If you wait to write your list, I'd be more than happy to show you the insanity that is the new guard codex. I can scan the army-building pages and send em your way, if you'd like?...as well as the special abilities for guard, cause some of the new stuff is NASTY. =D!