Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Best Albums Ever

Mr. Wobbels

Album: Selling England By The Pound(1973)

Artist: Genesis

Best known, best, or most inventive song(s) off of album: Firth of Fifth, The Battle of Epping Forest... The entire album is amazing.

Genre: Progressive Rock

This album is my favorite album by Genesis. And that means something since Genesis is one of my all-time favorite bands! It's hard to find a song that stands out more than the others. Every single song on this album is absolutely excellent.

Okay, another one

Album:Thick As A Brick (1972)

Artist: Jethro Tull

Best known, best, or most inventive song(s) off of album: Thick As A Brick (It's the only song on the album lol)

Genre: Progressive Rock

43 minutes and 36 seconds of pure awesomeness.This album is very near perfection in my opinion. Awesome keyboards, flute, guitar, drums, and bass. The album contains only one song,which is over 40 minutes long, but it never seems to drag on and is always interesting. I never get bored of listening to that album. It actually was my top played song for a while on my iTunes, beating a crapload of songs that were dozens of time shorter than it.

Album: The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (1967)

Artist: Pink Floyd

Best known, best, or most inventive song(s) off of album: Astronomy Domine, Matilda Mother, Bike

Genre:Psychedelic Rock

This is Pink Floyd's first album, back when Syd Barrett was their frontman. This album isn't generally the most appreciated Pink Floyd album, but it's by far my favorite one. It doesn't really sound anything like later Pink Floyd like Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall. That's because pretty much the entire album was composed by Syd Barrett, who then left the band afterwards. I personally really like it. It's not like later Pink Floyd at all. I almost consider it like another band entirely. It's Syd Barrett. And this album is what started their carreer and made them popular.

I find it sad that Barrett was kicked out of the band. It makes me wonder how the band would've evolved if they had kept him in it...

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Mega Bump. OP! MAKE THIS LIST ALREADY!!

and hey I can't believe StrappingYoungLad hasn't posted these ones yet

Believe me, I would've added Synchestra and Ki as well, but I figure Hevy Devy overload wouldn't really bode well with everyone. But a big derp on me for not remembering friggin' Infinity!

Devin Townsend Project

Deconstruction (2011)

ANY SONG ON THE ALBUM

This album has the greatest replay value of all my albums. It's beautiful, and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HEAVY!!!!! FUCK, I NEVER HEARD AN ALBUM SO POWERFUL, MELODIC AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN IN MY LIFE!!!!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tcjw7XwqnE

Edited by NeverNeverland
  • Brohoof 2

Anything from Toto.

Nostalgia relived.

Black Rain.

I love this stuff. That old rock always makes me feel good. Ozzy, Toto, Boston, White Snake, Beegees. Oh I wish we still had that nowadays.

I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning (2005)

Bright Eyes

Road To Joy, Landlocked Blues

Indie Rock

Ranked #50 on Rolling Stone magazines top 100 albums of the decade and #31 on NME's top 100 albums of the decade. Many consider this Bright Eyes breakthrough record. It features an array of songs that depict suburbia from a very surreal viewpoint. It has gotten many mixed reviews, from album of the year, to "a jumbled mess of sounds".

I might post some more later :huh:

(edited)

I hope this has not already been said because I don't like angry things eating my face, but

Boston (1976)

Boston

Foreplay/Longtime, More Than A Feeling

and Umm... Classic Rock, i suppose

[media=]

[/media] Edited by willinilly

Awake (2009)

Skillet

Hero, Awake and Alive, Lucy, Monster

Alternative

Awake and Remixed (2011)

Skillet

Hero (The Legion of Doom Remix), Awake and Alive (The Quickening), Monster (Unleash the Beast Remix)

Rock

Time is the Enemy (1997)

Jonas Hellborg, Shawn Lane

Time is the Enemy

Jazz Fusion

One of the more notable performances by both Shawn Lane and Jonas Hellborg.

[media=]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=guVyQUre4io[/media]

I was all "TL;DR" with the list, so I'm not sure if this is on there yet, but I have to say that Thrice's "Major/Minor" is an amazing great album, especially considering that though it's from a slightly mainstream band, it doesn't suck.

Sister Devil (2009)

Sixx

"Listen to it as a whole IMO"

Deathrock/gothic/minimalist

Haunting and nihilistic would describe this record best. There aren't really words, you just have to listen. I was lucky enough to snag this on vinyl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiO2cOyyvgw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaBbuV7i7wk&feature=related

A Passion Play (1973)

Jethro Tull

Progressive Rock/Art Rock

First off, the Album is simply amazing. It's simmilar to Thick as a Brick, as it contains just one song exceeding 40 minutes. IMO, what sets A Passion Play apart from Thick as a Brick are the lyrics. A Passion Play is written as a play with four acts that tells the story about a mans experiences in the after life. I might go as far to say that it might be one of, if not the most artistic albums ever made :D. It also had some of the greatest musical momments I have heard in progressive rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX8ZMjWW0-A

Tarkus (1971)

Emerson Lake and Palmer (ELP)

Notable tracks: Tarkus, B*tches Crystal

Progressive Rock

The first time i heard the title track, i was blown away! I, being a musician, was immediately into the song from it's rapid tempo intro. I did complex music, so i instantly fell in love with the song :D. Though I prefer side one of the album, side two is anything BUT shabby in comparison to side one, with my personal favorite from side two ebing b*tches crystal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJINce7l3P4

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

Album: Up The Downstair

Band: Porcupine Tree

Best known, Best or Most inventive songs off the album: The Whole Thing!

Genre: Progressive/ Psychedelic Rock

This album, simply put, is amazing. It is just epic when it comes to composition, like in the track 'Small fish'. It's sort of a loose concept album which involves drugs and is thoroughly enjoyable from the drum machine-esque 'Synaesthesia' all the way up to the huge climax of 'Fadeaway'.

Chaos Is Me (1999)

Orchid

"Le Desordre C'est Moi, New Jersey vs. Valhalla, The Action Index"

Genre(s) [screamo, Emo Violence]

Often noted as the pinnacle of the screamo genre, Orchid's 'Chaos Is Me' is definitely as classic amongst in genre. Beautiful and powerful lyrically and musically.

Ten Songs (1997)

I Hate Myself

"To A Husband At War, Caught In A Flood with the Captain of the Cheerleading Squad, Kind of a Long Way Down"

Genre(s) [Emo]

Beautifully tragic. Considered one of the best emo records of all-time.

Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust (2008)

Sigur Rós

"Festival, Gobbledigook, Ára bátur, All Alright"

Genre(s) [Post-Rock]

Everything by Sigur Ros is beautiful, but this is the moment when Sigur Ros hits a euphoric high note.

Fevers and Mirrors (200)

Bright Eyes

"Something Vague", "Haligh, Haligh, a Lie, Haligh", "An Attempt to Tip The Scales"

Genre(s) [indie]

One of Conor Oberst's crowning achievements pre-I'm Wide Awake. A beautiful album through and through.

A Collection of Songs (2004)

The Kodan Armada

"Iwishididnthatemyself.com, One, Say Something, Bullshit Buffet, No Has Never Had Three Letters"

Genre(s) [screamo]

A collection of the best screamo songs of all-time released by one of the best screamo bands of all-time. Absolute perfection.--

Edited by Kodan

Signals (1982)

Rush

"Subdivisions"

Genre(s) [Prog. Rock]

Seminal albums aside, this album is pure synth gold from Rush. If you're a Rush fan, this is mandatory. Not only does it have a staple track from their live sets, but The Weapon, Digital Man and New World Man are gold in their own right. One of the best albums they've released by far.

Youthanasia (1994)

Megadeth

"Reckoning Day, A Tout Le Monde"

Genre(s) [Heavy Metal]

I saw plenty of Metallica on the list but no Megadeth? What gives? While Metallica was busy doing their thing, Megadeth was releasing gold like this. This is one of their best albums after Rust In Piece. The entire album is really well done and not a single song is bad. Enjoyable from beginning to end.

Rust In Peace (1990)

Megadeth

"Hangar 18, Holy Wars... The Punishment Due, Tornado of Souls"

Genre(s) [Thrash Metal, Speed Metal]

While Metallica was going more radio friendly with their self-titled album, Megadeth released this piece of thrash metal gold. Easily their best work to date, the entire album is hard, heavy and, quite frankly, evocative in many ways. Everything about it from the lyrics to the solos are top notch. Powerful stuff if you're a metal fan.

The Name of the Rose (1996)

Ten

"The Name of the Rose, The Rainbow"

Genre(s) [Melodic Rock]

A solid rock album. If you like a nice mix of ballad-y type songs and some good old fashioned rock songs, this is the perfect album. Might take some getting used to at first, but there's a laundry list of really good songs here. Gary Hughes is amazing and it shines in this album. Such a shame Ten never really took off outside of the UK and Europe.

01011001 (2008)

Ayreon

Entire album.

Genre(s) [Multiple Styles]

This is one of those rare albums that comes along that tells a long story. It's an entire sci-fi epic wrapped into a 2 CD masterpiece. If you're looking for a mostly progressive rock and metal type sound with incredible vocalists and amazing songwriting to boot, look no further.

Chronometree (2000)

Glass Hammer

Entire album.

Genre(s) [Acid Rock, 70s Prog. Rock]

This is an interesting album to say the least. Though it was released in 2000, it parodies, and sort of mocks, the 70s progressive rock, psych rock and acid rock scene. Think early Pink Floyd, but this album is a rock opera. It's kinda loopy and I forgot the story exactly but it's really good.

Transfusion (1988)

Yuji Toriyama

"Captain Haddock"

Genre(s) [Jazz Fusion]

A surprisingly good jazz album. I happened across the opening song by chance and I was blown away by how good the rest of the album really is. If you like jazz in any capacity, pick this up. You will not be disappointed.

That's a good start for now. I'll put up some more when I give it some more thought.

Quadrophenia (1973)

The Who

"5:15", "Love, Reign O'er Me"

Rock, Opera Rock, Hard Rock

One of my personal favorite albums of all time. The album is about a mod guy named Jimmy. Jimmy has four different personalities based on the personalities of the Who members:

• A tough guy, a helpless dancer. ("Helpless Dancer" – Roger Daltrey)
  • A romantic, is it me for a moment? ("Is It Me?" – John Entwistle)
  • A bloody lunatic, I'll even carry your bags. ("Bell Boy" – Keith Moon)
  • A beggar, a hypocrite, love reign o'er me. ("Love Reign O'er Me" – Pete Townshend)
Musically, it's one of my favorite albums ever. I think the instrumentals "Quadrophenia" and "The Rock" are the best Who songs you'll ever listen to. 5:15 is a catchy yet powerful song, Love, Reign O'er Me is a beautiful ballad. Just, listen to it, you'll never regret it

Edited by leictreon
  • Brohoof 1