PrincessLuna

74 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Um, about Luna saying we. Back in medieval times. When someone was in high authority, they would considered themselves as we. This actually called the Royal We and did in fact exist back in time in the real world. It makes since seeing how Luna talks all Medieval times. :)

But if you think about it, a lot of life's problems are solved through pure dumb luck.

Yes, but life also doesn't always make for a good narrative. Deus Ex Machina (sudden, unforeshadowed event that fixes everthing) occurs in real life too, but it's not something we like to see in our fiction

Edited by Emperor_Z

I loved almost everything about this episode. The characterizations were great, including Luna. It was funny and seeing all of the costumes was entertaining.

The conclusion felt kind of weak though. Luna didn't really do anything different during the middle and during the end, she just kind of got lucky that Pipsqueak decided to come over and compliment her. If he hadn't done that, she would have gone along thinking that she was hated just as before. So it was just kind of dumb luck that resolved the plot. It's made more obvious because Twilight acted like she had a plan, but unless she told Pip to talk to Luna, then she didn't actually do much of anything. Additionally, if the resolution was purely the realization that people were having fun with Luna's scariness, then Pinkie already revealed that, making Pip's scene kind of redundant.

That's just my nitpick for this otherwise great ep, though I hope these narrative stumbles aren't going to be made into a habit. I felt Return of Harmony was also anticlimactic.

I think that this kind of show what it was like for Luna back when she first became Nightmare Moon. She just wanted to be noticed and appreciated, but no matter what she did, she couldn't get the ponies to love her night (like how now she can't get them to stop running from her). She eventually snapped, and let her anger and jealousy take over. This time she was feeling defeated and rejected again, but Pipsqueak showed her kindness and friendship. That shows that times are different now. I liked the ending.

I suppose in the end that comes down to opinion and viewpoint on the matter. Personally, the way it happened didn't really bother me because even if it is dumb luck the problem was still resolved and it did make sense.

You know, the addition of Pipsqueak was actually a good thing for the series imo. Most of the ponies are female so adding a male or two, even in a female dominated show/village, will add just a little more balance to things.

I think that this kind of show what it was like for Luna back when she first became Nightmare Moon. She just wanted to be noticed and appreciated, but no matter what she did, she couldn't get the ponies to love her night (like how now she can't get them to stop running from her). She eventually snapped, and let her anger and jealousy take over. This time she was feeling defeated and rejected again, but Pipsqueak showed her kindness and friendship. That shows that times are different now. I liked the ending.

I don't have a problem with the realization that people liked Luna for her scariness being the resolution, but the way in which it was framed didn't really work. Twilight acted like she had a plan, but didn't actually do anything to affect the outcome, and Pinkie outright stated that it was fun to be scared before Pip, making his part sort of redundant, at least to the audience.

I suppose in the end that comes down to opinion and viewpoint on the matter. Personally, the way it happened didn't really bother me because even if it is dumb luck the problem was still resolved and it did make sense.

You know, the addition of Pipsqueak was actually a good thing for the series imo. Most of the ponies are female so adding a male or two, even in a female dominated show/village, will add just a little more balance to things.

Pip is amazing!

He shall become my favorte male char <3

Speaking of Pip, that makes three male kids that all have female-style snouts. Sorta applies to real life too, but the difference is so drastic with the ponies. Puberty must be REALLY rough on the facial bones.

I don't have a problem with the realization that people liked Luna for her scariness being the resolution, but the way in which it was framed didn't really work. Twilight acted like she had a plan, but didn't actually do anything to affect the outcome, and Pinkie outright stated that it was fun to be scared before Pip, making his part sort of redundant, at least to the audience.

Ah but Twilight did have it planned out. She basically had Luna scare the kids again at the statue and she relied on the ponies in Ponyville to do the good part. It was more a matter of trusting things to happen a certain way so in a way she did affect it all by having Luna do what she did. Pinkie's part was to make us and her realize what was really going on, Pip's part was to prove it to Luna and finish up the episode.

Speaking of Pip, that makes three male kids that all have female-style snouts. Sorta applies to real life too, but the difference is so drastic with the ponies. Puberty must be REALLY rough on the facial bones.

I imagine puberty is PAINFUL for the males.

No wonder there are barely any males...

"Ma, my cheeks and nose hurt"

"You are just going through puberty son"

What? Twilight planned the last part out. Re-watch the episode. You missed some stuff.

She planned for Luna to scare the kids, but what was different that time that it made Pip express that he was having fun, unlike the other times where they all just ran away screaming?

Again, you are not saying everything that happened in that scene, only ones that contribute to your favor. You forgot whenever she scares them, she turns to twilight and says "I don't think that had the right affect I want"

And she said "Just wait."

Again, you are not saying everything that happened in that scene, only ones that contribute to your favor. You forgot whenever she scares them, she turns to twilight and says "I don't think that had the right affect I want"

And she said "Just wait."

So... she waited, that's all? I guess there were no moments previous where she just stood around doing nothing, so there wasn't as much of an opportunity for it to come up before. So I suppose the events make sense, though I still don't feel they were very satisfying, and could have been executed better

Edited by Emperor_Z
  • Brohoof 1

So... she waited, that's all? I guess there were no moments previous where she just stood around doing nothing, so it wouldn't have come up. So I suppose the events make sense, though I still don't feel they were very satisfying, and could have been executed better

I never said that i LIKED what happened. I did not like it at all. But I am not complaining about it.

I wish it ending a little stronger.

Well if you didn't like it, there's nothing wrong

I never said that i LIKED what happened. I did not like it at all. But I am not complaining about it.

I wish it ending a little stronger.

Well if you didn't like it, there's nothing wrong with expressing that. Topic's titled "Episode 4 Discussion", not "Episode 4 Homogenous Praise"

Like I said, I did enjoy the episode, quite a lot. Just thought it has a narrative weakness

Edited by Emperor_Z
  • Brohoof 1

Well if you didn't like it, there's nothing wrong

Well if you didn't like it, there's nothing wrong with expressing that. Topic's titled "Episode 4 Discussion", not "Episode 4 Homogenous Praise"

Like I said, I did enjoy the episode, quite a lot. Just thought it has a narrative weakness

Lol the first time I read this through, I thought you insulted me xD

Re-reading ftw.

Wow. So many pages! :blink:

So Pinkie was absolutely priceless in her Scootaloo costume, Pipsqueak is all kinds of d'aw, and Shadowbolt Dash was also good for a laugh. So many of the background costumes were also a treat. I really liked Berry Punch's explorer costume. Didn't notice Colgate as a dentist at first, but that's amazing.

As for Luna, like many of you, I'm glad they chose a fitting characterization that covered the 1000 year banishment. Olde speech didn't immediately come to mind, but it really worked. Especially when she used her stadium voice. :lol: I think a lot of the disappointment with her story's end comes from our own desire to see the "having fun" situation be the end, but it's great she managed to fit in her own strange way.

Also, we got more Zecora! :D And she volunteers every year to be scary!

There's only a couple things that needed to be remedied, in my opinion:

1. No Rarity! More than anything, it's the fact she's a fashion designer. It just makes sense for her out of everypony to be involved with the costume aspect of this holiday. Oh well, future plot maybe.

2. No song! Since it's a big social event, Nightmare Night seemed to beg for its own song. The fact we haven't gotten a song 4 episodes in doesn't help either.

Man, we're four episodes in already? :wacko:

I personally didn't really like Luna's portrayal all that much. Yes, it was quite fitting considering she had spent the last millennium on the moon, but I was surprised, to say the least, that Celestia didn't try and help her re-adjust into society by now. I mean, they've had at least a year to do it by now.

More Zecora = WIN. Whereas I had somewhat mixed feelings about her when we first saw her, now that she has been accepted into pony society, she was really in her element. Seems she's got some inner charisma. Really hope we see more of her in the future.

Man, we're four episodes in already? :wacko:

I personally didn't really like Luna's portrayal all that much. Yes, it was quite fitting considering she had spent the last millennium on the moon, but I was surprised, to say the least, that Celestia didn't try and help her re-adjust into society by now. I mean, they've had at least a year to do it by now.

More Zecora = WIN. Whereas I had somewhat mixed feelings about her when we first saw her, now that she has been accepted into pony society, she was really in her element. Seems she's got some inner charisma. Really hope we see more of her in the future.

Zecora always means more win.

And I hope Pip becomes a main pony. We need more males C:

Zecora always means more win.

And I hope Pip becomes a main pony. We need more males C:

Actually I hope he doesn't become a main pony. He's good for a one-shot appearance, but other than that I fear his accent and voice will grate on my nerves and he'll become a male creampuff cute blob that has no depth, just d'awww moments.

• Brohoof 1

Actually I hope he doesn't become a main pony. He's good for a one-shot appearance, but other than that I fear his accent and voice will grate on my nerves and he'll become a male creampuff cute blob that has no depth, just d'awww moments.

Yeah, but you never know. That is what I thought Pinkie Pie was going to be for me. And then I learned to love her alot. If he does become a main pony, you will learn to love him <3

Yeah, but you never know. That is what I thought Pinkie Pie was going to be for me. And then I learned to love her alot. If he does become a main pony, you will learn to love him <3

True. I guess it doesn't help that his introduction and involvement in his debut episode was 100% cuteness. If they flesh out an identity and character for him (should he be a regular in the show) then I'll have to re-evaluate my stance toward him.