74 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Man, we're four episodes in already? :wacko:

I personally didn't really like Luna's portrayal all that much. Yes, it was quite fitting considering she had spent the last millennium on the moon, but I was surprised, to say the least, that Celestia didn't try and help her re-adjust into society by now. I mean, they've had at least a year to do it by now.

Who said that the episodes are in order? Or even the seasons? Luna came back during the Summer Sun Celebration. Then in the episode order, they had Winter Wrap Up, then Running of the Leaves. It could be that this episode was the first Nightmare Night after Luna came back. That would make it just a few months after the Summer Sun Celebration, and before Running of the Leaves and Winter Wrap Up.

• Brohoof 2

True. I guess it doesn't help that his introduction and involvement in his debut episode was 100% cuteness. If they flesh out an identity and character for him (should he be a regular in the show) then I'll have to re-evaluate my stance toward him.

Yeah but Pinkie Pie's entrance was all IUDHFIDIYCVHDIYVDBGCFDAGFIDVHO.

My reation was like,

"Da hell is this o_O"

Now I love her.

I personally didn't really like Luna's portrayal all that much. Yes, it was quite fitting considering she had spent the last millennium on the moon, but I was surprised, to say the least, that Celestia didn't try and help her re-adjust into society by now. I mean, they've had at least a year to do it by now.

True, but I assume that Celestia wouldn't see it as a major problem and just let Luna adapt naturally without trying to force it, and any other pony would have been too scared to point out her flaws. Twilight was able to because she's used to talking to royalty and has dealt with someone who seemed scary, but turned out wasn't, so she wouldn't judge based on assumptions.
  • Brohoof 1

True, but I assume that Celestia wouldn't see it as a major problem and just let Luna adapt naturally without trying to force it, and any other pony would have been too scared to point out her flaws. Twilight was able to because she's used to talking to royalty and has dealt with someone who seemed scary, but turned out wasn't, so she wouldn't judge based on assumptions.

It was like with Zecora. Whenever she came into town, twilight wanted to talk with her.... BUT SPIKE STOPPED HER.

I am starting to dislike spike.

It was like with Zecora. Whenever she came into town, twilight wanted to talk with her.... BUT SPIKE STOPPED HER.

I've disliked Spike since sometime in season 1. He's rude and disrespectful.

I like Spike. He's snarky, loyal, and down-to-earth, usually. He teases a bit, but it's all good

Are you positive? I don't remember Spike doing that

Edited by Emperor_Z

There have been a lot of posts in this thread since I last saw it, so I hope I'm not repeating somepony else's discovery here, but when I was rewatching this episode one thing struck me. When Twilight first asks Princess Luna to lower her voice, she replies "We have been locked away for a thousand years. We are not sure we can." This implies to me that Luna was awake and aware for the whole length of her imprisonment. And even though she was Nightmare Moon at the time, it was still Luna who experienced it and remembers it. Just a little bit of fridge horror there to ponder. Maybe some fanfiction authors can do something with this. Anypony else agree with this interpretation?

Edited by TwilightSparkle
  • Brohoof 2

There have been a lot of posts in this thread since I last saw it, so I hope I'm not repeating somepony else's discovery here, but when I was rewatching this episode one thing struck me. When Twilight first asks Princess Luna to lower her voice, she replies "We have been locked away for a thousand years. We are not sure we can." This implies to me that Luna was awake and aware for the whole length of her imprisonment. And even though she was Nightmare Moon at the time, it was still Luna who experienced it and remembers it. Just a little bit of fridge horror there to ponder. Maybe some fanfiction authors can do something with this. Anypony else agree with this interpretation?

If this is true, then I am starting to think about Celestia. Is she actually cruel?

If this is true, then I am starting to think about Celestia. Is she actually cruel?

I would say she is never cruel if she doesn't need to be. But if it is necessary, to protect her ponies, I believe she'd do pretty much anything, no matter how she might feel about it personally. I think it makes Celestia more of a tragic figure in a way.

• Brohoof 1

I would say she is never cruel if she doesn't need to be. But if it is necessary, to protect her ponies, I believe she'd do pretty much anything, no matter how she might feel about it personally. I think it makes Celestia more of a tragic figure in a way.

Yeah, but you would think that would be a MAJOR emotional situation to banish her own sister. I would think it was hard for her to do that, and you never know it could of been killing her on the inside. Edited by Finesthour

Yeah, but you would think that would be a MAJOR emotional situation to banish her own sister. I would think it was hard for her to do that, and you never know it could of been killing her on the inside.

Exactly why I think it makes Celestia a tragic figure. I have read some fanfics that use exactly that and it can make for a really powerful story. I can't help but think of all the emotions that would have been stewing inside her as the thousandth Summer Sun Celebration approached. She was of course familiar with the prophecy of Nightmare Moon's escape, she must have been feeling joy, fear, apprehension, guilt and regret all at once as she contemplated what was going to happen.

Exactly why I think it makes Celestia a tragic figure. I have read some fanfics that use exactly that and it can make for a really powerful story. I can't help but think of all the emotions that would have been stewing inside her as the thousandth Summer Sun Celebration approached. She was of course familiar with the prophecy of Nightmare Moon's escape, she must have been feeling joy, fear, apprehension, guilt and regret all at once as she contemplated what was going to happen.

That could be a reason why Luna had no clue what to do when she got to ponyville. Celestia did not even try to teach her about how different the world was, and it just makes me think.

That could be a reason why Luna had no clue what to do when she got to ponyville. Celestia did not even try to teach her about how different the world was, and it just makes me think.

I do wonder what must have passed between the sisters in private, when they didn't have to keep up a royal front for their citizens. It must have been heartbreaking for both of them.

I do wonder what must have passed between the sisters in private, when they didn't have to keep up a royal front for their citizens. It must have been heartbreaking for both of them.

I don't doubt Lauren Faust did not mean any of this. Oh us bronies and our overthinking <3 Edited by Finesthour

This implies to me that Luna was awake and aware for the whole length of her imprisonment. And even though she was Nightmare Moon at the time, it was still Luna who experienced it and remembers it. Just a little bit of fridge horror there to ponder. Maybe some fanfiction authors can do something with this. Anypony else agree with this interpretation?

Nightmare Moon is still Luna, just in her power-lusting, over-the-top crazy form (think Twilight when she caught fire in Feeling Pinkie Keen). So I see no reason she wouldn't remember the banishment if she was conscious through it.

I think I might just see if I can write some kind of fic about this, if I ever get any free time to do it.

Nightmare Moon is still Luna, just in her power-lusting, over-the-top crazy form (think Twilight when she caught fire in Feeling Pinkie Keen). So I see no reason she wouldn't remember the banishment if she was conscious through it.

I think I might just see if I can write some kind of fic about this, if I ever get any free time to do it.

However, we've already seen that in some cases of personality change ponies don't always remember what happened while they were in an altered state. For example, Rainbow Dash didn't remember what had happened while she was under Discord's influence and was frantically asking everypony about what was happening. I know a lot of fic authors have theorised that Luna didn't experience anything while Nightmare Moon was in control, or that she was in some kind of stasis while imprisoned in the moon. So I see this as a nice (or not-so-nice) confirmation that yes, Luna experienced it and wasn't just tucked away in some corner of Nightmare Moon's mind, and yes she does remember it after coming back to herself.

Speaking of over-the-top crazy form - Given what she appears to be like normally, I can totally understand Luna becoming Nightmare Moon with enough provocation, whether real or imagined. The fanon version of her I couldn't see doing anything more than slamming her door and sulking in her room.

• Brohoof 2

I liked the fact that she can turn into Nightmare Moon when ever she wants.

That's a good point

Actually I hope he doesn't become a main pony. He's good for a one-shot appearance, but other than that I fear his accent and voice will grate on my nerves and he'll become a male creampuff cute blob that has no depth, just d'awww moments.

He's too likely to become annoying very very fast, even more so than Scootaloo

And I think that was why she didn't get involved personally but left it to Twilight to find the way to defeat Nightmare Moon and bring her sister back to normality

There were so many costumes I couldn't even keep track of who was who. I only saw Carrot Top and Derpy Hooves.

Seafoam was in the gladiator helmet, but I can't avoid seeing my favourite pony!