Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria may need its princess...but we need our friend

Cwanky

Rarity: The truth of it is, Twilight, we're simply lost without you. Rainbow Dash: Yeah. Equestria may need its princess... Fluttershy: ... But we need our friend.

Applejack: Twilight... The Elements of Harmony... They're what keep us connected no matter what. Twilight Sparkle: You're right about one thing, Applejack. The Elements of Harmony did bring us together. But it isn't the Elements that will keep us connected. It's our friendship. And it's more important and more powerful than any magic. My new role in Equestria may mean I have to take on new responsibilities, and our friendships may be tested, but it will never, ever be broken. 

Really if I were to sum up Twilight's character development and where it stands now in season 4, the conclusion of the season premier sums it up pretty well. And Twilight's friends couldn't have said it better than how they did. No matter what happens, alicorn Twilight or not, Twilight will 1st and foremost be a friend to those she loves. That won't ever change, for better or worse and the writers made that explicitly clear here.

For me these scenes and the Season 4 premier were some of the best writings I've seen from this show yet. It shows a strong plot, characters and overall good animation and writing. More importantly though it shows perhaps the greatest amount of maturity I've seen from not just Twilight, but also her friends.

To show that Twilight is a friend 1st and a ruler 2nd really helps strengthen the focus and goals of this show and its characters. It also shows the true strength of Twilight as a leader to her friends, and by extension Equestria. She realizes that ultimately despite who she's become, she is still needs and is no greater than her friends who helped her become who she is, and that friendship is what makes her stronger.

• Brohoof 3

I agree and that scene would have not been possible if the "send her home" scene hadn't happened. I still wish that was rewritten, but as your correctly point out there was a lot of character growth shown in that scene and it's pointed us in a new direction.