Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

'Lucid Dreaming', is it real?

DustJacket

*Okay, first off I really don't know where should I post this either it was here or the Debate Pit but I don't want it to be all... 'debate-y'.

And, Hello! Almost forgot about that one.

So, while I was away for a whole week on a school field trip and living high up in the mountains in a village doing the everyday villager stuff like farming carrots, broccoli, cabbage, potatoes, and so forth. And in the third night, me and four other friends gather together and we suddenly discussed about lucid dreaming thus I've found out that one of my friends was a lucid dreamer and so it hit me to compare my notes with his about his understanding on lucid dreaming. Almost all I've know and experienced while experimenting on lucid dreaming was the same. 

So is it actually possible or is it just a bad case of suggestion?

Lucid dreaming is definitely real, have often experienced it both good and bad. Most of the time it's good though, it's kind of a strange feeling kind of feeling like you aren't sleeping at all. Many people have had lucid dreams and for me it happens very often, often had nightmares when I was a kid so that may have lead to me taking control over my dreams. I think it's pretty awesome when you're having a lucid dream, having the freedom to do whatever you like and feel like you're doing it.

So yes, it is real I'm a proof of that.

I've had a lucid dream, of a sort. My parents are divorced, and I live with my mom. She was the nice one, he was the tough one. And one day I messed up really bad, and in the middle of the night I had a dream where she came in my room without turning on the lights or anything and told me that because of it I was going to be moving to my dads house. I had a kind of terror all day, because I woke up in the exact position it was in my dream, believing it was real. During the day I kept waiting for her to tell me when I was being shipped out.

I've had a lucid dream, of a sort. My parents are divorced, and I live with my mom. She was the nice one, he was the tough one. And one day I messed up really bad, and in the middle of the night I had a dream where she came in my room without turning on the lights or anything and told me that because of it I was going to be moving to my dads house. I had a kind of terror all day, because I woke up in the exact position it was in my dream, believing it was real. During the day I kept waiting for her to tell me when I was being shipped out.

No, no, no, that's not lucid dreaming, there are four types of dream or sleeping state.

There are: 

-Lucid dreaming, a dream that you can control

-Regular dreaming, a dream that you can't control in a regular basis and could vary at times

-Deja Vu dreaming, some say you could see the future but it is actually a suggestion that your own brain make

last one;

-Over-thinking dream, a dream that you have because you've been thinking for one thing over and over again before you sleep. Like there will be an exam tomorrow and you think you can't do it and going to get a bad mark and so you have a dream about it, this one is scientifically proven in biology. 

• Brohoof 1

I've experienced it myself, trust me, to successfully pull it off takes a lot of practice. Especially since the first few times you do it you'll usually get so excited that you'll wake yourself up.

Yep, I know lots and lots of practice and that waking myself up part, hate that one.

Also, one more question, my friend said that lucid dreamers can actually remember for about 50% of the dream they've just had. Me, myself, I don't, I didn't pay any attention since I wake up and prepare to school hence, no time to do some observation.

Yep, I know lots and lots of practice and that waking myself up part, hate that one.

Also, one more question, my friend said that lucid dreamers can actually remember for about 50% of the dream they've just had. Me, myself, I don't, I didn't pay any attention since I wake up and prepare to school hence, no time to do some observation.

I myself have experienced what your friend has described. For me, the second half of the dream is more memorable than the first usually, where I'll remember the details of the middle to end of the dream but not the beginning to middle.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 1

It is certainly real, and I believe everyone has experienced a lucid dream at one point or another in their lives. In fact, it's even possible to train it as a skill. And while I put no real stock in the idea that dreams can contain prophecies, it's pretty well established that dreams can help people understand themselves and their subconscious better by taking note of one's own personal dream imagery, which is different for each person. 

Dreams in general are a really fascinating area of research.

• Brohoof 3

Speak of the devil! I just lucid dreamed last night. 

Anyways, I'm not too good at lucid dreaming as of now, so I can only really move my arms around in my dreams. I've swam in lucid dreams before, and I've felt things that were very realistic. Sometimes when I'm lucid dreaming I'll think "this isn't right". Like, something will be the wrong shape or size. I sometimes wake myself up by Lucid Dreaming. Also, for some reason it can get very trippy, Lucid dreaming that is. Besides that though, it's pretty cool to lucid dream. 

I try a lot to lucid dream but I guess I just cant do it. I just have no dream or boring old regular dream. Sometimes an Over-Thinking Dream. But I can NEVER lucid dream.

Remember, lots of practice, lots and lots and lots of practice, try to start from the simple one like a continuing a regular dream by writing down and reading it before sleeping and try finding a binaural beats. 

lots of practice;

Fluttershy_Pushup_S02E22.png

• Brohoof 4

I have experienced it, and err... And it's like "garry's mode" in dream

Garry's Mode? I'm lost...

it's pretty well established that dreams can help people understand themselves and their subconscious better by taking note of one's own personal dream imagery, which is different for each person. 

That's new to me, I never realized it

yes it is real. i've done it ONCE and it was the best dream ever! i dreamed my mom let me skip school. and then i was like 'wait a minute... IM DREAMING' so then i figured out how to control it! you just kind of have to meditate in bed while your trying to go to sleep. oh and make sure you always have a pony tail holder on your wrist. thats the best way to know your dreaming. i ALWAYS have a ponytail holder on my wrist but in dreams I DONT. its weird. but the moment i realize im dreaming i wake up  :(

i ALWAYS have a ponytail holder on my wrist but in dreams I DONT. its weird. but the moment i realize im dreaming i wake up  :(

Yep, that happens. You can look totally different from the clothes you wear and even a completely different someone. And gender change dream is a possibility -- had one of those... several times, and it was weird. And the waking up part, yeah, that sucks

It is certainly real, and I believe everyone has experienced a lucid dream at one point or another in their lives. In fact, it's even possible to train it as a skill. And while I put no real stock in the idea that dreams can contain prophecies, it's pretty well established that dreams can help people understand themselves and their subconscious better by taking note of one's own personal dream imagery, which is different for each person. 

Dreams in general are a really fascinating area of research.

YES. YES YES A MILLION TIMES YES. once in a sort of half lucid dream (thats what i call it) when i was a little kid. the 'half lucid' dream was me painting in a huge room and all the walls were covered in art (sorta like Rapunzel's tower in Tangled) i had never really tried art before (again i was really little. like maybe 5) and that inspired me to start doing art! same with music!

i have made a 2 months course 3 years ago.. it works :) i can remember every dreams i have and also if i want i can manipulate them... but it is like a drug after a while.. you prefer dream instead of the real world... that's why i try to sleep less possible..

also i find solution of real life problem in my life.. times ago i dreamed the schematic for a new power switch transformer, i carried that at university, built it... it worked...

Nikola Tesla was a lucid dreamer too... he was able to immagine projects while sleeping and then translate them in to reality..

i have made a 2 months course 3 years ago.. it works :) i can remember every dreams i have and also if i want i can manipulate them... but it is like a drug after a while.. you prefer dream instead of the real world... that's why i try to sleep less possible..

also i find solution of real life problem in my life.. times ago i dreamed the schematic for a new power switch transformer, i carried that at university, built it... it worked...

Nikola Tesla was a lucid dreamer too... he was able to immagine projects while sleeping and then translate them in to reality..

That's why I pray before I sleep. But the thing is, I have this feather that I always bring it around with me so when I need to snap back to reality I'll just try to make the feather heavier and that's not possible in reality.

Ideas from a dream, always do that when I'm in dire need of inspiration to write.

Not only Nikola Tesla, but Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton were a lucid dreamer as well, even it is said that they have some papers and a pen or pencil on the table besides their bed and when they sleep, their hand works how cool is that; and there was the rock that is used to wake them up if they are starting to go in to a deep sleep state.

• Brohoof 1

Well on the rare occasion that I do dream, I have lucid dreamed. I am not 100% sure why I can lucid dream, as I do not know enough about it... but I have my own theory.

I used to have nightmares a lot, I always hated it so much. After years of having them I started to realize when I was dreaming. If I was in a nightmare, I would know it wasn't real. So I began to easily wake up before my dreams even got too bad. It started getting easier, knowing when I was dreaming, and eventually I was pretty much in control of my whole body. I remember first experiencing lucid dreaming, it was certainly... different,

The thing is about lucid dreaming, it's fun but after you are used to it for too much thus every time you sleep, you automatically lucid and you can't go to a Deep Sleep state; a sleeping state where you are actually relax and completely removed from the environment and dreams. 

That's why I pray before I sleep. But the thing is, I have this feather that I always bring it around with me so when I need to snap back to reality I'll just try to make the feather heavier and that's not possible in reality.

Ideas from a dream, always do that when I'm in dire need of inspiration to write.

Not only Nikola Tesla, but Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton were a lucid dreamer as well, even it is said that they have some papers and a pen or pencil on the table besides their bed and when they sleep, their hand works how cool is that; and there was the rock that is used to wake them up if they are starting to go in to a deep sleep state.

thta's cool.. actually i can understand when i am in a dream or not.. the problem is that i don't want to go outside :( it is usually my gf, i dream here and she teels me to wake up