Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you embarrassed to be seen with your parents?

jackleapp81

Tonight I went to the grocery store with my mom. Usually, I don't think too much of it, but tonight, something totally embarrassing happened.

Mom and I split up in the store so we could gather what we needed faster. I go to the frozen foods section, and as I arrive, I see this girl I know from my college. 

"Hi Derek!" she says in a semi-flirty way.

"Hey Katie." I reply.

"So what's up?"

"Nothing much, just getting groceries."

"Oh, well that's cool to see you being so independent. I mean, not that you're NOT independent most of the time, I'm just saying that, and no offense to the other guys at our school, but I get the feeling that a lot of them like, live in their parent's basements or something. Like they don't know anything about real life."

"Hehe...yeah.:."

"Well, it was cool to see you Derek! Maybe we sometime we could--"

That's when mom walks up. 

"Derek! Is this your friend?"

"Uhh...yeah, this is Katie."

"Ooh!" Katie cries. "So this is like, your mom?"

"Yeah...:" I say as I start to blush really badly.

Katie laughs in a way that suggests that she knows the irony of the situation.

"I guess I'll, uh..let you two keep shopping! Have fun with your Mom, Derek."

"Ok, um..see you around school."

As she's walking away, I see her get a small glance at this look on her face that was like "Oh my God, did that JUST happen?" I honestly couldn't tell if she was more embarrassed that she brought up the parent's basement thing, or if she was embarrassed at me for shopping with my mom. All I know is that I'm completely mortified. 

I do live with my parents, and usually, I don't think anything of it, but now I wonder:

What if I'm unintentionally (for lack of a better word) cock-blocking myself by going to public places with my mom? I feel that this is a legitimate concern. I don't know, maybe some girls think that's sweet. But then if they think it's sweet...that's a friend zone indicator. So I really have no idea what to do.

What about you guys? Do you feel that going out in public with your parents makes you "lose your cred" in any way? Or do you not think anything of it and happily join your parents for impromptu shopping sessions?

Edited by jackleapp81
  • Brohoof 2

Eh, it depends really who and all that.

If i don't run into anyone then it doesn't even matter obviously.

if i do, and they talk a bunch and my parents make a comment it can be embarrassing, all depends.

Sometimes its ok though, like i said it depends. Sometimes its ok.

Almost always, and it is usually my dad. Ever since his stroke, he acts like a child sometimes. Making really idiotic noises and acting immature. Whenever we go to a store or something, I try to get away from him. It's just much too embarrassing and attracts unwanted attention that makes me even more embarrassed. It's not so bad with my mom. I am fine with being around her.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not really embarrassed being seen with my parents, and haven't for quite a long time. Most of the time when I am with them, all I do is simply laugh cause they are, more often than not, embarrassing themselves. My parents both have a habit of doing stupid things without realizing how stupid they are.

But that's all in the past anyways. My parents are about 2800 miles away. Now I just have to deal with my girlfriends parents. Not really embarrassed being seen with them, I just don't like being around them cause they are not the best at speaking English, and her mom reaches incomprehensible levels of annoying "CACA".

• Brohoof 2

My parents are my parents, and of course they are going to embarrass me whenever they get the chance. If this got to me, I wouldn't continue to tag along. So I suppose I'm not really embarrassed of them (even though they nearly always attract attention).

Well I'm not really embarrassed to be seen with my parents, although my mom tends to say really embarrassing things in public, that really annoys me...

Edited by Champion Rarity92
  • Brohoof 3

I'm not embarrassed at all with my parents, really. My parents don't do much stupid stuff. I kind of want to be with my parents in public since I want to spend time with them while it lasts. :3

• Brohoof 1

Well I'm not really embarrassed to be seen with my parents, although my mom tends to say really embarrassing things in public, that really annoys me...

would you be willing to share some past instances of what she's said? xD

As for me, I never really felt that way. I will admit that there have been times where I preferred to be without them, but most times I'm fine with having my parents with me in public. 

Oh yeah.. you know what this reminds me of? I remember seeing people telling their parents to "get lost" at my college's orientation... that's pretty despicable imo.

• Brohoof 1

would you be willing to share some past instances of what she's said? xD

Well for one thing, she always calls me "booboo" in public -____-

And she just says embarrassing things, and it's always when there's a cute girl nearby ;_;

• Brohoof 2

I used to be embarrassed by my parents, but not anymore. I used to go to Disneyland with my mom on a bi-weekly basis. I like hanging out with both parents. It's also a lot easier now that they live with me (rather than me with them.)

Well for one thing, she always calls me "booboo" in public -____-

And she just says embarrassing things, and it's always when there's a cute girl nearby ;_;

lmaooo bet those girls giggled at you ;)

My sisters are embarrassed of me and my parents, I dunno, Parents are embarrassing but I have learned to go with it, sometimes they just wanna have fun too. And as lame as it can sound letting them into your life in my opinion is fun, great, and not as embarrassing any more. I am not sure if it is because I am used to it now or maybe I just grew into their crazy???

I had a terrifying shopping experience with my parents (well many scary ones but this stands out the most) I was shopping with the folks and this old lady walked in front of us with this giant animal fur coat, my dad mutters... Murderer. The lady spun around and glared at me. The rest of the trip my mom scolded me for calling the lady a murderer, all my dad did was laugh until we left the store, that's when he finally fessed  up to being the 'murderer'.

we still laugh about it today, even though it was supper embarrassing at the time. Maybe time changes perception? lol at the least I hope my story brought you a smile, know you are not alone with embarrassing parents :)

• Brohoof 1

No my parents never embarrass me. I don't even go out with them often, but when I do, it's really not all that bad.

And since I know literally no one, it really doesn't bother me if my parents were gonna do something embarrasing since the people there are people I'll likely never see again.

First of all, your avatar is perfect for this thread XD

I'm not embarrassed usually. Sometimes my dad is embarrassing though.  He's been around during some of my most mortifyingly embarrassing times (like too much partying bad) and he never forgets to bring it up to anyone we're around.  And then he'll like run away from me in the stores when he sees an employee and yells "STOP FOLLOWING ME, CRAZY LADY.  PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE" >_> and jump on the shopping carts and ride them downhill in the parking lots yelling WEEEEEEE.  and then one time we got kicked out of the mall by security because he tried to take something back that he broke and almost got in a fight with the cashier because he wouldn't take it back.

No, don't feel embarrassed at all. Often go with my parents, then again I don't know any people that would think it's weird and I can't blame them for cock blocking since that's my own fault. The only problem is when my parents start talking to other people and they just can't seem to stop. Other then that, I don't feel embarrassed of them I think they feel embarrassed because of me.

it really depends on age, how people see living with your parents.

i still do, but I'm only 16, so not living with my parents would be strange.

And yeah, i tend to not go out with my parents shopping, i usually hang with mates, or stay at home or something, because my parents can be really embarrassing at times, but then again, who's aren't ;)

It depends on where I am. I love my parents, especially my mom, and I'm not embarrassed to be seen with her. Though if I'm at at place where I should be alone or people my age aren't usually with their parents, I'd rather distance myself. The point is to blend into the background.

I really don't go out with my parents anymore, though I still live with them as affording my own place right now is pretty much impossible as is. Can't recall them ever doing anything to embarrass me though I'm pretty sure i'll have embarrassed them at some-point. XD 

Edited by Malinter

I haven't really ran into any embarrassing situations or anything with my parents, luckily.  :P

My parents are ok when it comes to being out in public. I don't really see anyone I know when I'm out in public anyway, so meh.

About 90% of my life in on my computer anyway, which probably isn't a good thing.  :derp:

I don't think it's strange for anyone still in school to be living at home. It's cheap and convenient. Then again, I'm not on board with the cultural pressure to get away from your family ASAP to start amassing indications of personal and material status. There are much more important things.

My mother embarasses me more because she's racist and outsider-phobic than anything else. If we're out to lunch I can be sure she'll comment every time she sees someone who isn't Caucasian, talk about how weird they are, and complain about them coming to America.

Edited by Cygnus

I'm embarrassed by my dad a little since he hangs out with a crowd composed primarily of drunkards, also how he will occasionally go into my room to try to "make me jump", or rather to startle me.

My mom didn't embarrass me all the time, but unfortunately...

My grandma not really because she doesn't do that stuff, she only embarrasses me a little bit because of how I will eat corn dogs for lunch a lot of times, because I like corn dogs, not a lot, but somewhat (underexaggerated)

Edited by Twilight Sniper

My grandma not really because she doesn't do that stuff, she only embarrasses me a little bit because of how I will eat corn dogs for lunch a lot of times, because I like corn dogs, not a lot, but somewhat (underexaggerated)

I'm 20 years old and I still love corndogs with a passion. Just like Shining Armor xD