Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you embarrassed to be seen with your parents?

jackleapp81

Yes and no.

No because at least I'm with company, and as long as they don't humiliate me in public like telling me to buy underwear or yell at me, then I'm okay with them.

And yes, because at times because of my looks, they tell me to be more social, or talk to someone, or tell me to get a girlfriend in front of other GIRLS, which can be very embarrassing.... 

I used to be and I always embarrassed them by being rude to them because I thought it's "cool". I was also embarrassed being anywhere near them, too. Then I grew up.

Now I don't really mind. They're my family, I have no need to embarrassed around them, plus, I only go places with them to go buy stuff or to just hang out with them anyway. Plus, I'm around strangers anyway. They don't even know my name and I won't see them again, anyway.

However, sometimes my mom likes to hold my hand or arm while walking with her in case someone grabs her, which kind of bugs and embarrasses me. I keep on telling her that I'll destroy anyone who lays a finger on her anyway and that it won't be necessary for her to do do that, anyway. No problems with my dad, though.

Edited by ~Sadistic Zero~
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

It's so embarassing because I dress like a hypebeast but I grocery shop with my parents and then I see people and girls who are hanging out with friends. 

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes.  The onus is on me, as they do nothing to warrant it.  We have a unique situation, as I am a 32 year old man who is basically incapable of a "normal", autonomous life, for a variety of reasons.  I live with them, and I really don't have a social circle that I can do things with regularly.  So, if I want to get out of the house, it has to be with my parents.  We make it work, and we have a great relationship, but it can be difficult sometimes, as one would imagine.  My parents don't do anything to embarrass me, but I constantly fear that others judge me and think that I'm a pathetic failure because I live with them.  My culture places an extreme value on one's ability to move out and become independent from one's parents.  An inability to do so seems to, in the minds of many, disqualify your entitlements to love, affection, happiness, self-worth, and basic human value.  It's pretty f*cked up, really.  I've been meaning to write a more in-depth piece about it.

My dad doesn't live with me anymore but he used to be very aggressive with people including me and my sisters. It was ALWAYS embarrassing to be around him. My mom on the other had (who I still live with and help with bills) is as sweet as can be. I love her so much and will never be embarrassed by her! 

Not really, heck I'm full grown adult who still live with them, moreover we usually go everywhere as family. The only time I'm not with my parent is school and work. 

7 minutes ago, TBD said:

Not really, heck I'm full grown adult who still live with them, moreover we usually go everywhere as family. The only time I'm not with my parent is school and work. 

Same here... except I graduated college back in 2014.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, The Artist Formerly Known As A.V. said:

Same here... except I graduated college back in 2014.

lucky you, i still have  a long way to go xp

Not at all. My parents don't embarrass me, and honestly I can't even think of any time where I even thought they did. I'm glad I never went through that phase.

Nope, not at all. My dad is very chill guy and he always knows what to say and what he musn't say. My mother on the other hand is full of energy, but mostly not in an embarrashing kind of way. Only when she feels uncompherable she begins to be annoying. :grin:

I'm definitely embarrassed to be seen with my mother because... well I'm not sure actually :huh:. Thanks thread for making me re-evaluate my feelings on this :). Normally I don't go places with my mom but I guess I have nothing to worry about if I do :wacko: 

I was never embarrassed to be seen around my father, but that was awhile ago.

Well it's actually normal for me and all of my friends to go out in public with their parents. So really it's just things are not as over judgemental here in Australia than the USA so it's actually normal here to see teens with their parents in public. So I actually sort of prefer to be with my parents in certain public places like in the CBD of Melbourne where it can get dangerous at night. Like I would never want to walk through the streets of the city at night alone. :)

I feel better when I'm on my own, definitely, but I'm not embarrassed to be around them, no.

I guess it's some sort of feeling of independence, considering I am 22 now and want to be more independent (which, due to various factors, am not ready to be totally independent yet).

Not really, my parents are great! If they've had the courage to bring little me (who used to throw tantrums in public places while really young) to stores for example, why wouldn't I go to places with them without feeling embarrassed.

I thought it stopped, Celestia :maud::maud::maud: .

Nope I’m not :wacko: . Maybe it depends on what the context or situation is. Not usually :wacko: .

Maybe more so since I’m 23...

Edited by Wacko Wolf

I'd be far more concerned about embarrassing my parents than the other way around. If they don't mind being seen with a goofball like me, the least I can do is tolerate black socks with shorts, bad hair and clothing with clashing colors. :rarity:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...