NavelColt

S04:E04 - Daring Don't  

425 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

In my opinion, instead of having Daring Do getting into trouble, they should have made it so Rainbow Dash got into trouble and Daring Do had to rescue her. That would have shown how much of an annoyance Rainbow Dash really was to Daring Do.

I disagree. I think this would have weakened Rainbow Dash's character too much. Yes, Rainbow has had to be rescued before, but never by someone who was a personal hero to her. If Daring Do had to swoop in and save her, I think it would be impossible to separate her fangirlism from her damsel-in-distress situation. Much as I disliked the plot they chose, they at least let Dash be internally consistent throughout.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This episode was pretty cool having rainbow dash and the mane six actually meeting daring doo and going on an adventure with her. But i thought rainbow dash was kind of getting in the way and just plain being a 'Fan Girl' to her. It was kind of silly BUT it was very cool to see more of daring doo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like how they showed that RD kind of had trouble keeping an aloof disposition. It showed that she isn't always the coolest person in the room and she doesn't always act that way. It showed more of the inner workings of a pony who can sometimes be kind of a jerk

• 1 month later...

Overall, this wasn't one of my favorite episodes. I'm really just not very big on Daring Do and Rainbow Dash, so most of it was that, but there were a few things aside from that that messed with my head. One being that this whole world exists. When somepony writes about something irl, there are always some ponies who obsess over it and learn everything about it. You'd think that if this stuff was publisized, somepony would have figured out by now that this is real, especially if where A.K. Yearling lives isn't a secret.

Another thing that really got on my nerves was at the very end, after the last hug with A.K. Yearling. Rainbow Dash writes, "Just had the coolest adventure with the coolest pony ever." When she finishes her entry, she hears a knock at the door, and recieving a package, exclaims that she got the new book a week before anypony else. The same book that wasn't supposed to be published for another six months. The book that hadn't been finished yet when she left earlier that day. Even if she'd waited a day or two to write the entry, she wouldn't have waited six months.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the episode, it was fun to see that Daring Doo was a actual thing in their world :)

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Title: Daring Don't

Air Date: December 7th, 2013

Synopsis: When the latest book in the Daring Do series is delayed, Rainbow Dash and her friends decide to offer their help to the book’s author so that she can finish it.

:umad: Look everypony, DHX invested in leak-proof packaging after last weeks' mishap.

Time for everyone's daring adventure storybook pony to return, hmm? More Dashie episodes are always a good thing B) And with books, no less.

attachicon.gifmlfw1548_large.jpg

img-2082613-1-tumblr_m56c95H04v1rpb34po1

Loved the theme, how great reading books are.  I love books too.  However, because of my ADD, I'll start a book and then want to start a different one at the same time.  There are so many books in my house and at the library that I've started but never finished.  Well, except for "The Never Ending Story". I love that one so much I've read it a thousand times =^.^=

I liked the episode, it was fun to see that Daring Doo was a actual thing in their world :)

Me too =^.^= Reminds me of "Joan Wilder" in "Romancing the Stone". Except their heroic rescue was more like "falling with grace". Walking in a native village "just pretend we're from Natural Geographic". Not as much heroic action as Daring Do, but it was funny. 

This was an awesome episode. We got to see Daring Do for real this time and the Mane 6 got to adventure with her. One of my favorite episodes and one of the first I watched.

I agree.  I would love it if they had made more episodes with her.  Daring Do has such an interesting back story, that the story ideas would have been endless. 

very good episode, I enjoy continuity & I really don't understand why people don't like it.

I can see why. Not much action with the other ponies. So, if you're a fan of Daring Do or Rainbow Dash, it'll be a great episode.  However, if you were hoping to see the other ponies, you might be disappointed.  Twilight did a little play-on with Rainbow when reminiscing about Daring Do's stories, and that was interesting. 

I loved how different this episode was compared with the others.  Sometimes I see myself in Rainbow Dash, when waiting for the Harry Potter books.  I loved how they had Pinkie Pie paint red lines on the ground, similar to the red lines they shown on the map - very Pinkie of her. The exchanges that Twilight and Rainbow Dash had was cool, and the look the others gave them while trying to follow them was hilarious.  The story line did remind me a lot of Indiana Jones.  Even the evil creatures were similar to the villains in Indiana Jones: The Arch of the Covenant.  Then having a scene how Daring Do really did need help was cute, too.  Yes, I would give it two thumbs up. 

And yes, there was even a cute scene with Futtershy at the beginning. As she was flying with Rainbow Dash, holding her tail, and looking down, "Oh, Rainbow, I don't know". Cuteness to the infinity =^.^=

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another one of my favorites..though it shocked me how violent it got..I wonder how many parents got angry and threw a fit (lol). I loved seeing Daring Do and was surprised by the continued call backs to Harry Potter. (AK Yearling. HA lol) but overall..I still got an Indiana Jones or Lara Croft vibe here...but loved the twist with how she was really like and how Rainbow Dash had to handle said situation. Overall, a decent episode that I definitely enjoyed!

Despite what a lot people have said about this episode, I really loved it.

It's one of my favorite season 4 episodes.

I found it to be really fun and had great action.

• Brohoof 3

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I liked this Episode, it had good action, i just find it a bit stupid, that we started with her latest Adventure and had almost no backstory to everything. Except for the few scenes from that Rainbow Dash Hospital scene.

• 4 months later...

I adore the adventure here. All of the action scenes are great, the whole pulp narrative with Caballeron and Ahuizotl and such is incredibly fun, and I don't care what anyone says, Daring Do being real is totally awesome. Her general insistence on working alone, as well as the aggressive attitude she adopts throughout basically the whole adventure, is just delightful. All of that carries me through this, but a number of things bothered me on this viewing, mostly related to Rainbow Dash's behaviour. The moral isn't necessarily bad, but Rainbow's general ineptitude here is a weird way of conveying it, and not really all that fun to watch. I love her enthusiasm, but it kept getting in the way of her judgment to the point that she frequently became annoying here. She displays an uncharacteristic lack of situational awareness and common sense, and while that is explained by the narrative, it's not always entertaining, and for a while seems to disprove the moral the episode's going for: if she's just gonna get in the way, maybe she should just go home. Maybe if the scene where they actually discuss that scene had a better argument, I would have enjoyed this episode a bit more; as is, it didn't entirely convince me. 

Also, as much as I'd like to just shut my brain off and enjoy the pulp tropes, I do have some boring social criticisms of this episode, specifically as regards its Aztec motif. Ahuizotl just isn't all that fleshed out, and his motivation isn't all that clearly explained, so it kinda comes off like some weird "savage mysticism" type thing, which is a touch culturally insensitive, especially when you get into his entirely unexplained followers. The cultural motif has an exotic flavour which feels kinda insidious to me, but then again, it's not entirely clear who Ahuizotl is or what the society he comes from is like. There's a conversation between Rainbow and Twilight which blathers incoherently about the plot of the books, but that just brings up funky ideas of dark magic which are even more reminiscent of old racist stereotypes. I guess it's just a comedic take on a bunch of pulp adventure tropes, but those pulp adventures are not known for progressive representational politics. Sorry, I know this stuff is a drag, but I just wish the show paid more attention to this kind of stuff. 

Also, they straight-up say "four corners of Tenochtitlan." So Daring just needs to scour some big city? 

Score:
Entertainment: 7/10
Characters: 7/10

Themes: 6/10
Story: 6/10
Overall: 65/100

• 1 month later...

I found this episode to be really boring. The action scenes were a little fun, but most of it felt very uninteresting to me. I can see others liking this episode more, but nothing here really stuck out to me.

Score: 5/10

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn’t wild about Daring Do being real, but I’m liking it more now. It paints a bigger picture of the world, and we have more heroes than we see.

My only real issue was the Mane 6 doing nothing while Daring Do was being attacked. I can see being surprised into immobility, but the fight went on way too long for them to just stand there the entire time. The incompetence stays a bit too long with Rainbow Dash, even with fan girlism being the reason.

While it’s neat that Rainbow Dash is in the book, wouldn’t that give away to everyone that Daring Do is real? Rainbow Dash isn’t the type to keep quiet about her adventures.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't like this episode. My main issue is how annoying Rainbow is here. Nothing about the episode convinces me that Rainbow is right in trying to butt into Daring Do's work. All she does is be a nuisance. And Daring Do only needs to be rescued at the end because Rainbow was the reason Daring Do got captured. Daring Do says she works alone and nothing in the episode proves that she would be better off with someone else. She handled everything else before this episode alone and she could've handled this situation alone if Rainbow didn't screw everything up.

There's another issue too in how pointless Fluttershy, Applejack, Rarity and Pinkie are. All they do is contribute to the big fight at the end, but that's not enough since they do nothing in the rest of the episode and don't even have good reasons for going with Rainbow and Twilight. 

The actual adventure with Daring Do and Caballeron feels like retreading old ground, just worse with Rainbow being annoying. Cabillaron isn't particularly interesting or fun to watch and he feels way too similar to Ahuizotl. Twilight and Rainbow say that Caballeron wanted to partner with Daring Do, but that aspect which could've made his character stand out is completely abandoned after that exchange. 

I kinda like the end fight with all of the mane six, but it's not that good and is pretty short. This episode feels like a sequel to Read it and Weep, but without improving anything.

Score: 3/10

Edited by bigbertha
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

My issue with this episode was how the mane 6 were there. It would be interesting if RD went there alone and had to deal with the consequences herself and there was a higher stakes conflict with Ahuizotl. Caballeron should have been feature more, it seemed like they tossed away him and his crew too fast. I like this episode, but I have some nitpicking with the way the mane 6 are always saving everything. 

Daring Do should also have a different hairstyle, too. But I love her character. If the mane 6 were there, why did they just watch? Twilight could defeat all those minor villains herself, bad writing there in my opinion. I totally ship RD and Daring Do.

Edited by Califorum