NavelColt

S04:E04 - Daring Don't  

425 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Benjamin's fez was RIDICULOUS. I'd shoot it a million times off of his head and it still wouldn't be enough.

No hating  Lady Pie!  un dose that sound wrong to anyone?

Just managed to finish watching it.

Even if Rainbow Dash and Daring Do have built a good friendship together, it still burns in the back of my mind that Daring Do originally saw Rainbow Dash as an obnoxious fangirl, especially seeing how harsh she was. Dammit, moments like these just absolutely get to me. I couldn't help but hang my head.

I still loved this episode, though. I would always love a healthy dose of Daring Do.

Edited by Mars Brownie

I loved this episode! Rainbow Dash has never been cuter. :wub: I've been waiting for more fangirl RD for a while now... :P

Anywho, overall it was a very good episode, I found it quite enjoyable. :3

• Brohoof 1

I appreciated that the whole episode was zany  :lol: I especially loved the part where they're all watching Daring Do fight inside her own home and its only after a couple of minutes that Fluttershy's like "um, do you think we should help"? Of course its awesome to see Dash with her hero (and all of the fanfics that follow will be lurid I'm sure  ;) ) but I'm glad Do is a real pony and also that she was an individual (i.e. wasn't super friendly off the bat but also capable of re-evaluating her opinions)! ... And I've begun to ramble, thus is the ceasing of talking now  :blink:

• Brohoof 1

It was really fascinating. :)
I like how they wrote that "Daring Do" was the author the whole time. and I like the fact that Rainbow Dash learned that she should not forget about her own worth, I really learned so much from this episode. :P

• Brohoof 1

My wife and I both agreed that this is the first, and hopefully, only episode that we didn't like. We both had a problem with Rainbow Dash acting out of character for most of the episode. She wasn't even like that when she met the Wonderbolts, and went to the academy. another problem I had was that Daring Do is a real pony, and the books are based on actual events. I find it very hard to believe that all of this stuff, which should affect Equestria flies  under the notice of Princess Celeastia? Hopefully the next episode will be better. 

• Brohoof 1

I REALLY LIKE THIS EPISODE! IT IS A GREAT EPISODE AND YOU SHOULD FEEL GREAT WHEN WATCHING IT!!! :3

First of all, let me point out some of the stuff I hated. The fact that Daring Do doesn't keep her place and her identity a secret anymore bugs me a little. I mean, she has a whole series written about her BY HER, so now ponies know that the author is the real thing and they know where she lives...it doesn't really fit with the whole "secret identity" thing. It was probably why the three guys got into her home and wrecked it too. I kind of liked it better when she was an actual fanfic character, cuz that would've gone smoother in the series. Next, the fact that RD is...well...annoying in this episode bugs me too. I know she's trying to help and I know she's Daring's biggest fan, but the way she acted in this one seemed a little off for me. And then she comes to the conclusion that Daring Do is in danger all because of her just because she wanted to help out. That don't sound like the Dash I know.

But enough with the bad stuff. Time for some good stuff!

1. RD geeking out. 

RD is waiting for four months for the next book to be published...yeah...like we haven't felt like that feeling before.

2. Epic argument between Twi and Dash.

That seen was AWESOME! It made me feel like Hasbro cared about the things I enjoy and when I talk about it. That was awesome!

3.The cat.

Oh dear God, the cat was the best of them all! Who couldn't hate that cat!

4. The gullible villians

Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

5. INDIANA JONES TRAVEL POWERS! 

Oh wait, it's just Pinkie.

Well, that's all I got ta say about that.

This episode was good, I liked it. However, was I the only one where I found Rainbow being a complete fangirl was kind of annoying? I understand her appreciation and dedication for Daring Do, but she felt like she was the "Annoying fan who follows me but redeems herself in the end."

Speaking of Daring Do, boy was it a surprise that Daring Do was actually, well, Daring Do. That was an idea I had floating around in my head since S2, and I thought they were gonna do that at some point, but then I see all the characters and her adventures from the books are real too. Now that was surprising. As for the actual character, I liked her when I saw "Read it and Weep" but she became a real jerk in the middle, which is somewhat understandable because of the fangirl thing from Dash I mentioned. Still, it was a little annoying that she completely ignores assistance from any of the ponies, with her excuse being "Don't trust anypony." Which I don't find too viable, considering it's a major fan and 5 of her friends. Then at the end, she learns teamwork and all that jazz, but I just didn't like how she acted. I still like her though.

My wife and I both agreed that this is the first, and hopefully, only episode that we didn't like. We both had a problem with Rainbow Dash acting out of character for most of the episode. She wasn't even like that when she met the Wonderbolts, and went to the academy. another problem I had was that Daring Do is a real pony, and the books are based on actual events. I find it very hard to believe that all of this stuff, which should affect Equestria flies  under the notice of Princess Celeastia? Hopefully the next episode will be better. 

Dash was out of character? When?

She's a huge Daring Do fan. It's absolutely in-character for a massive fangirl to act like that when meeting the object of their devotion. Ask any fan and any celebrity. And she actually did act that way with the Wonderbolts at first. Maybe not to the same degree (because some flying team isn't as amazing as a legit adventurer), but it was there.

Still, it was a little annoying that she completely ignores assistance from any of the ponies, with her excuse being "Don't trust anypony." Which I don't find too viable, considering it's a major fan and 5 of her friends.

Daring Do is essentially Indiana Jones. Indy had a loner streak to him. And frankly, in that line of work, anyone you trust is a potential traitor. Indy knew that too.

Plus, how many celebrities actively permit assistance from fans (however major) and their random pals? Imagine if Tara Strong found the voicework got too demanding and some annoyingly intrusive fan offered assistance. Imagine she allowed that. Imagine how shitty Tara's various characters would end up sounding.

Daring Do is essentially Indiana Jones. Indy had a loner streak to him. And frankly, in that line of work, anyone you trust is a potential traitor. Indy knew that too. Plus, how many celebrities actively permit assistance from fans (however major) and their random pals? Imagine if Tara Strong found the voicework got too demanding and some annoyingly intrusive fan offered assistance. Imagine she allowed that. Imagine how shitty Tara's various characters would end up sounding.

that could be true its more surprising that yearling didn't even note in any way that one of her "fans" was royalty. she also apparently dose not keep up with major world shaping events. like the main six saving equestriea no less than three times.

Should've put my input earlier, but anywho...

Well...first of all, I, personally haven't been too thrilled so far with the show this season...for some unknown reason. Could've been I just lost my hype over the hiatus, or maybe I'm even starting to not like the show as much? Whatever the reason, I can forget that being an issue, because watching this episode restored my faith in my passion for the show, and got me straight back into my good ol' pony hype state. I absolutely enjoyed the hell out of this episode, and, albeit I watched it late, it's always good to be satisfied with the pure awesomeness of the show that never dies. ^^

I originally knew this was going to be the return of Daring Do, of whom already had a potential for another episode other than her first. I'd prior learned that the author of the books, A.K. Yearling, looked like Daring, but the only connection I made was that she designed the character out of herself. But holy hell, I was not expecting Daring to be real at all. This pleasant surprise was probably my favorite part of the episode, and kept me happy all the way through. :) I was expecting this to be just another episode about Daring's adventures, but I didn't realize that the mane six would be involved. As soon as the realization kicked in, I was enticed for the unexpected for the rest of the episode.

Of course, it's good to see Dash and Twi again expressing their love and knowledge for the book series. Makes them quite the adorkable pair, I'd say. x3 Though, doesn't Dash's unseccesful waiting for the new book to come out seem strongly reminiscent of us bronies waiting for another season/episode of the show to come out, hm? :P

Of course, since the type of adventures Daring Do goes through in her stories is something I really enjoyed about Read It and Weep, I non-surprisingly loved that portion of this episode. Episodes that mostly take place outside of Ponyville/Canterlot/etc. (or in cases like Hearth's Warming Eve, a different time period than the present) are unique compared to the typical episodes of the show, and from my perspective, seem to be not as favored, perhaps for that reason. I, for one, love seeing the show going in unexpected, variety-filled directions once in a while, it really spices the mood and theme up and that's something I love to see. I love episodes like Over a BarrelHearth's Warming Eve and Dragon Quest for that very reason. I'm just a big fan of variety, and experiencing things from unique perspectives every once in a while. ^^

The only issue that comes to mind at the moment is that at a few points it seemed rushed. A few parts of dialogue seemed to be missing (for instance, Rainbow Dash telling Daring that she was a huge fan, or Dash telling her to not go on her expedition, to which both she scoffed and walked away, which, really, could have rather used a word or two from Daring, but, timing in these things is understandable), and it felt that a few things could've been explained more (as in, even though it's clear to the audience, it doesn't make sense how the characters could understand it so quickly), but really, that's all there is to the negatives in this one for me.

Also, something that isn't quite an issue, but made me question at first. It was interesting to see how the rest of the mane six other than Twilight and Rainbow fit into the picture. For the rest of them, this was an unfamiliar environment, and it was weird how they seemed to do a good job adapting to a situation they never would've expected, especially something like this.

A lot of parts of this episode warmed the ol' heart up a bit. Firstly, the fact that Dash got to meet her #1 heroine (or heroines, rather, but since one's an alter ego, and she knows that, maybe it's just one? Maybe? I guess?). Not only that, but practically saved her life, and conquered her own enemy together as well. Which, all, ultimately resulted in Dash getting written into the next installment of her favorite book series, alongside her idol, written by her idol. Makes me really happy for Rainbow. :)

Oh, and this, when I first saw this...it got to me. :')

3RDSak5.png

Unexpected hugs are best hugs~ <3 This part really touched me, and it was so like Dash to, instead of shaking Daring's offered hoof, to just skip right to a big hug for her big hero. And the accepting nuzzling by Daring just makes it for me. x3 Truly one of the best moments in the season by far. :)

Oh, and yes, let's not forget the first entry of Major Story Arc #2, here, the diary, which I'm still glad is a thing. Nothing else on the keys, yet, but still interested to see that particular arc advance. Really going to make for an interesting season, other than what there already is in the first place. :P

As always, the animation is splendid. It's really great to see them vastly improve on things, particularly this season environment design/detail and shading/lighting, and background/foreground blurs which have been executed well in this episode, see below.

fiskusV.png

71P8JeT.png

D1poCrv.png

Hmm...what else? Oh, another Wilhelm Scream, which I love that they incorporated into the show (as well as Equestria Girls) since the pandering storm of season 3. It's one of those small things that add a lot to the show experience for people like me that appreciate things like that, and is a nice shoutout to the commonly-used sound effect.

It was a great episode, all the way until the happy awesome ending. The action was good, and it had a few really nice surprises that ultimately made me very satisfied, and re-established my pure excitement for ponies that I had seemed to lost for a few months. There's no doubt in my mind that, with episodes like this to kick it off, and two enticing season-long story arcs that are very promising, this is going to be one kick-ass season.

Season 4 is incredible so far. :)

Good night you wonderful pony-loving people, and sweet dreams. Let's all watch another great episode of the show we love in the morning.

pz8EPhW.png

• Brohoof 2

that could be true its more surprising that yearling didn't even note in any way that one of her "fans" was royalty. she also apparently dose not keep up with major world shaping events. like the main six saving equestriea no less than three times.

She lives in a remote secluded forest, under an identity more wrapped in secrecy than the location itself. I doubt she keeps up with the news. And Twilight just became royalty. I don't think news would travel too fast out wherever Yearling shacks up anyway, if it travels there at all. XD

Also, A.K. Yearling is a great name for her.

Dash was out of character? When?

She's a huge Daring Do fan. It's absolutely in-character for a massive fangirl to act like that when meeting the object of their devotion. Ask any fan and any celebrity. And she actually did act that way with the Wonderbolts at first. Maybe not to the same degree (because some flying team isn't as amazing as a legit adventurer), but it was there.

I would not classify Dash as a "fangirl". If she was going to geek out over Daring Do, she would have been like that when she met the Wonderbolts. 

Should've put my input earlier, but anywho...

Well...first of all, I, personally haven't been too thrilled so far with the show this season...for some unknown reason. Could've been I just lost my hype over the hiatus, or maybe I'm even starting to not like the show as much? Whatever the reason, I can forget that being an issue, because watching this episode restored my faith in my passion for the show, and got me straight back into my good ol' pony hype state. I absolutely enjoyed the hell out of this episode, and, albeit I watched it late, it's always good to be satisfied with the pure awesomeness of the show that never dies. ^^

I originally knew this was going to be the return of Daring Do, of whom already had a potential for another episode other than her first. I'd prior learned that the author of the books, A.K. Yearling, looked like Daring, but the only connection I made was that she designed the character out of herself. But holy hell, I was not expecting Daring to be real at all. This pleasant surprise was probably my favorite part of the episode, and kept me happy all the way through. :) I was expecting this to be just another episode about Daring's adventures, but I didn't realize that the mane six would be involved. As soon as the realization kicked in, I was enticed for the unexpected for the rest of the episode.

Of course, it's good to see Dash and Twi again expressing their love and knowledge for the book series. Makes them quite the adorkable pair, I'd say. x3 Though, doesn't Dash's unseccesful waiting for the new book to come out seem strongly reminiscent of us bronies waiting for another season/episode of the show to come out, hm? :P

Of course, since the type of adventures Daring Do goes through in her stories is something I really enjoyed about Read It and Weep, I non-surprisingly loved that portion of this episode. Episodes that mostly take place outside of Ponyville/Canterlot/etc. (or in cases like Hearth's Warming Eve, a different time period than the present) are unique compared to the typical episodes of the show, and from my perspective, seem to be not as favored, perhaps for that reason. I, for one, love seeing the show going in unexpected, variety-filled directions once in a while, it really spices the mood and theme up and that's something I love to see. I love episodes like Over a BarrelHearth's Warming Eve and Dragon Quest for that very reason. I'm just a big fan of variety, and experiencing things from unique perspectives every once in a while. ^^

The only issue that comes to mind at the moment is that at a few points it seemed rushed. A few parts of dialogue seemed to be missing (for instance, Rainbow Dash telling Daring that she was a huge fan, or Dash telling her to not go on her expedition, to which both she scoffed and walked away, which, really, could have rather used a word or two from Daring, but, timing in these things is understandable), and it felt that a few things could've been explained more (as in, even though it's clear to the audience, it doesn't make sense how the characters could understand it so quickly), but really, that's all there is to the negatives in this one for me.

Also, something that isn't quite an issue, but made me question at first. It was interesting to see how the rest of the mane six other than Twilight and Rainbow fit into the picture. For the rest of them, this was an unfamiliar environment, and it was weird how they seemed to do a good job adapting to a situation they never would've expected, especially something like this.

A lot of parts of this episode warmed the ol' heart up a bit. Firstly, the fact that Dash got to meet her #1 heroine (or heroines, rather, but since one's an alter ego, and she knows that, maybe it's just one? Maybe? I guess?). Not only that, but practically saved her life, and conquered her own enemy together as well. Which, all, ultimately resulted in Dash getting written into the next installment of her favorite book series, alongside her idol, written by her idol. Makes me really happy for Rainbow. :)

Oh, and this, when I first saw this...it got to me. :')

img-2109416-1-3RDSak5.png

Unexpected hugs are best hugs~ <3 This part really touched me, and it was so like Dash to, instead of shaking Daring's offered hoof, to just skip right to a big hug for her big hero. And the accepting nuzzling by Daring just makes it for me. x3 Truly one of the best moments in the season by far. :)

Oh, and yes, let's not forget the first entry of Major Story Arc #2, here, the diary, which I'm still glad is a thing. Nothing else on the keys, yet, but still interested to see that particular arc advance. Really going to make for an interesting season, other than what there already is in the first place. :P

As always, the animation is splendid. It's really great to see them vastly improve on things, particularly this season environment design/detail and shading/lighting, and background/foreground blurs which have been executed well in this episode, see below.

img-2109416-2-fiskusV.png

img-2109416-3-71P8JeT.png

img-2109416-4-D1poCrv.png

Hmm...what else? Oh, another Wilhelm Scream, which I love that they incorporated into the show (as well as Equestria Girls) since the pandering storm of season 3. It's one of those small things that add a lot to the show experience for people like me that appreciate things like that, and is a nice shoutout to the commonly-used sound effect.

It was a great episode, all the way until the happy awesome ending. The action was good, and it had a few really nice surprises that ultimately made me very satisfied, and re-established my pure excitement for ponies that I had seemed to lost for a few months. There's no doubt in my mind that, with episodes like this to kick it off, and two enticing season-long story arcs that are very promising, this is going to be one kick-ass season.

Season 4 is incredible so far. :)

Good night you wonderful pony-loving people, and sweet dreams. Let's all watch another great episode of the show we love in the morning.

img-2109416-5-pz8EPhW.png

You should make a blog! A pleasant review to read, even if I disagree on most points...

Edited by SolarFox
  • Brohoof 1

I think it was an alright episode. I mainly liked it for the rare occurrence of Rainbow Dash being a crazy fangirl and not as bold for once, she's just too precious aaa. But I felt like this episode was rushed and was a bit too catering to the fandom. So far season 4 has been exhausting for me, I prefer the cute slice of life episodes. 

You should make a blog! A pleasant review to read, even if I disagree on most points...

Thanks, it doesn't usually take much for me to ramble on things that much if it's something I really like. I just have to be willing to take the time to do it, because I don't think I can ever write a short review on things like that anymore. :P
  • Brohoof 1