NavelColt

S04:E04 - Daring Don't  

425 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

This episode was confusing as can be. I liked watching it ok but i'm not rushing back for more.

Digibrony makes an iterating point in his video out op ponyvrese episode 2. He states that sence we never see Rainbowdash recover from hitting her head at the beginning of the episode the whole episode is a concussion induced dream. This would have saved to episode for me. I would have absolutely loved this episode had this be cannoned. 

• Brohoof 1

Digibrony makes an iterating point in his video out op ponyvrese episode 2.

So you heard it too?

I can kind of agree that maybe a fantasy episode where nothing actually happened would've either made or break the episode so I guess it wouldn't matter if the whole episode as a dream.

• Brohoof 1

This episode was confusing as can be. I liked watching it ok but i'm not rushing back for more.

Digibrony makes an iterating point in his video out op ponyvrese episode 2. He states that sence we never see Rainbowdash recover from hitting her head at the beginning of the episode the whole episode is a concussion induced dream. This would have saved to episode for me. I would have absolutely loved this episode had this be cannoned. 

The idea that it's all a concussion-induced dream seems awfully far-fetched to me - if that was what the writers intended, they did a poor job of conveying that, IMO.  Little animation cues would have helped, such as a screen swirl or fog in part of it to indicate we weren't in reality anymore, or some sort of wake-up at the end, etc.  Also, if that HAD been the case, was the fact that Rainbow ended up on the cover of the next book also part of that dream sequence?  (In which case we ended the whole episode still in the dream?)

To be honest, while I like the "it was just a dream" idea more than what I believe they actually did, the idea that they simply made a bad choice sounds more realistic.  Unfortunately.

I enjoyed the episode. Daring had some awesome lines like "Now, Ahuizotl, you know I love you, but I can't give you the ring 'til I've properly proposed.". The other one where she gave the cat a black eye. Rainbow Dash was good in this episode.

Edited by Singe

I liked the episode. Action, hidden Easter Eggs (such as Rainbow making a Derpy face on the book cover at the end), and surprises such as Daring Do being real, or Twilight losing a nerd fight to RD (WOW!).

The only bad thing I have to say is: Why didn't the Mane 6 try to help Daring Do when she was being attacked in her house? I know Daring said she didn't want any help, but they should have at least done something after the thugs grabbed the ring and were getting away - instead, they all just stood there and let it happen. What the heck? 

Gave this episode another shot last night, and you know what? It's really not that bad! It's a really fun action-filled episode actually, I think even non-bronies/fans would enjoy it. I guess nervousness really got to RD here too, she really wasn't as annoying as I thought she was the first time I watched this, realizing just how star struck she really was by Daring. Plus, Twilight and Raibow Dash arguing about their Daring Do fandom is just fantastic social commentary on our part, as is Dash's impatience for the next book coming out. The rest were a good supporting cast too. Also, one of the best jokes ever with Ahuizotl asking for the ring from Daring, can't believe I forgot about that!

Overall an amazing episode actually, I kind of love it now. :yay:

9/10

• 3 weeks later...

I love episodes that have references in them, and this one was no exception!

As could be expected, I would say this episode was a solid 8/10. While it was nice, there are some things that I don't quite agree with as being possible. (Prepare for hate comments, Asterian...)

• I do not see how the Mane Six -- or at least Twilight and Rainbow -- didn't spot the similarities between "A. K. Yearling" and Daring Do. Even past the glasses and other garments, they should have guessed by her eyes and coat color at least.
    • By the same token, how does a beard of leaves fool a band of thugs?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't taken the time to re-watch this episode yet, but as of Episode 15 (Twilight Time), it's been relegated to "worst episode of the season" for me, with Twilight Time being a close second. :/  (And these are both Dave Polsky episodes - coincidence?)

Edited by Pixel Stick
  • Brohoof 1

I just noticed something! Look at the image below!  Look the book RD has at the end. Google it. You see RD has a baseball hat. Now look at the temple behind them. Baseball hat and temple? Hat = Short Top from Temple of Doom. That hat reminds me so much of him. Yet another referance to Indiana Jones!

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if I like daring to be a real pony. Think about it, what if harry potter was real. It would be sorta strange don't you think? 

That was the problem I was talking about a few pages back. If Daring Do is real, and everything that happens in the books are real,. how come Celestia does not know about it?

• Brohoof 2

This episode was quite interesting, though it seemed obvious that A.K. Yearling was Daring Do from the beginning. And that face Rainbow made...

Also, at the beginning of the episode, when Rainbow Dash was excited because the book came out in only four more months, she reminded me a lot of myse-Wait, the next Heroes of Olympus book comes out exactly seven months from today?! Ohmigoshohmifoshohmigoshohmigoshohmigoshohmigoshohmigosh...

*ahem* Anyway, it was exciting and I hope to see more Daring Do in the future.

Favorite part: When the Mane Six played keepaway with the ring.

Favorite line: "Oh Ahuizotl, you know I love you, but I can't possibly give you the ring until I've properly proposed."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was excellent, the sequel of my favorite episode..........until we find out the writer of Daring Do is Daring Do.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, that the Daring Do universe exists for real... :eww:  I prefer when it was pure imagination.

Great episode, but this bothers me.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Daring Do is very tricky and amazing, it do to help with Rainbow Dash to get all the rings out in the temple (the last one ring left is very heavy) before the temple is going collision in the near end of the episode. I think it's awesome, though!

• 2 weeks later...