NavelColt

S04:E04 - Daring Don't  

425 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I don't think that this episode was... bad necessarily.  I'm not personally a huge fan of it.  I was somewhat distracted by the fact that Twilight Velvet wasn't the author of the Daring Do books, which I thought was canon (though it may just be that she's a writer of adventure stories and everyone just assumes that it's the Daring Do books).

Anyways, I don't think it was a bad episode, but I feel it was the weakest of the season so far.

• Brohoof 3

Wow, dude... that was so meta 'n stuff...

It referred to fanboy/fangirl behavior in general, had so many Indiana Jones and adventure movie references...

Especially Twilight's "My mind is totally blown!" made me laugh.

The ending was a bit abrupt, but... nah, okay.

But one thing made me thinking... So Daring Do's appearence is kinda based off of Rainbow Dash, which the latter also used to imagine the former while reading the book in "Read it and Weep"... And then it turns out to be real... *head explodes*

Edited by Tender Voice
  • Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure this episode is the staff's way of saying "You know how much shit we have to deal with from you people? Back off and let us do our job please."

I dunno how to feel about this one. I liked the fact that they're taking a jab at the nerdiness this fandom is notoriously bad at keeping under control, but at the same time I'm not on to the idea that Daring Do is real. I dunno what it is, but it doesn't feel right to me. *shrug*

And by the way:

tumblr_mxg20liw3d1t4fj2vo1_1280.png

• Brohoof 3

I liked it a lot, mostly because adventure-related episodes are my kind of pat-butter. The plot twist wasn't really surprising; A. K. Yearling had the exact same color scheme, and I assumed that she was either Daring or at least based on Daring. The main six beating up the baddies wasn't bad, either, making them not entirely background ponies for the episode.

• Brohoof 4

Pretty good episode.

Wasn't expecting AK Yearling to be Daring Doo. Also Twilight and Rainbow Dash's fangirling is really adorable! 

Though if there is a complaint is that they spent too much time just standing around and not much on moving the story. It did get better at the end.

• Brohoof 3

Well, now I can safely say i know what it must look like when I geek out over something no one else understands. Bit of a confession to make on this one: I though the ending would be that the whole thing was an act. Like, before A.K.Yearling/Daring Do writes her book, she has it acted out like a play to get into the mindset of the character. I'll admit that may have coloured my perspective of this episode a tad.

Another thing I thought would happen would be one of the keys would be in the temple. Ancient temple built hundreds, if not thousands of years ago...sound like the perfect place to hide one of the keys to an equally ancient chest.

On the plus side though, this is a very adorable episode. Fluttershy teaching the baby birds to fly, Dash's reactions to Daring and a lot more have a tendency to elicit an involuntary "Awwwww....." Also loved the little LOTR reference when the "one ring" was thrown into the fire. I can just hear the LOTR crossover fics being written as I type. Lots of Wilhelm in this episode as well...

Compared to the previous episodes however, this one was kinda weak. It was still good in it's own right, but after all the momentum the previous episodes have built up this one kinda felt like a letdown. Hopefully that will be rectified with the next episode and no doubt the oncoming flood of "Scootalove" it will bring.  

• Brohoof 4

I thought this was a good RD episode, but I have one huge problem with it.

Is it just me or did the Mane 6 stand around watching their "favorite author/hero" get her tail handed to her because they were too busy just staring in the window?  I mean, even after Daring Do was defeated and the bad colt was getting away, they still just stood there and stared.

• Brohoof 5

This one was fun. Even though I'm not a Harry Potter fan, the A. K. Yearling joke was fun to hear. The marriage proposal thing was interesting, but seemed really out of place. I dunno, maybe I'm just being silly.

Again, the episode was enjoyable, but nowhere near as good as the previous seasons. In my opinion, at least.

• Brohoof 1

I loved watching Daring Do cut Dashie down to size and how it all lead up to one of her sincerest moments of self doubt. This was a great moment for all the ponies to lift up her spirits.

Even though I don't remotely have Dashie's personality, I know what it's like to try and help only to make things worse. You need some support to remind yourself you aren't stupid or worthless.

I love too how the episode was a giant sendoff top fandom, reminding us that we all make a difference in the lives of the creators of our favorite things.

It was nice seeing more of Equestrian and knowing how far they went. Overall I give it an 8\10. There were only minor things I disliked that aren't worth focusing on.

• Brohoof 2

This has accord to me

I thought this was a good RD episode, but I have one huge problem with it. Is it just me or did the Mane 6 stand around watching their "favorite author/hero" get her tail handed to her because they were too busy just staring in the window? I mean, even after Daring Do was defeated and the bad colt was getting away, they still just stood there and stared.

I was thinking um gals you can help any time now. any....time..... ok your just going to watch? really?

one other thing In over ther heads? how so? they faced down Night Mare Moon Discord and Sombra and had a important role in the defeat of Queen Cheese Legs.

Edited by Noodles
  • Brohoof 1

I really enjoyed the funny moments from the episode, especially the heated debate between Twilight and Rainbow. It reminded me of the debate I got in yesterday where someone was trying to argue that team rocket were the good guys in generation 1. (On the premise that they were going to neutralize mewtwo in the masterball they were trying to steal.)

Also... ugh... that proposal face. Something tells me that face is going to be around quite for the while...

• Brohoof 1

Eh, It was okay

I mean some of the episode was pretty good (the last 5-7 minutes) but before that it was... meh...

To me Rainbow Dash's character was really unlikable and she was just freaking out like "OMG It's Daring Do!" which was INCREDIBLY annoying! Daring Do also reasonably asked Rainbow to leave her alone but Rainbow was just far too stubborn or obsessive to listen which was just painful to watch because you knew something would go wrong. The " A.K Yearling is Daring Do" twist really didn't hit it home for me. It just seemed like an odd twist that they just threw in there, and I preferred it when Daring was just a character in a book and not a real pony. I didn't like the moral either, it basically said that Daring was the one at fault. I guess no one recognized that Rainbow did something wrong when she got in Daring's way numerous times before and got her into the situation she rescued her from in the first place.

Overall we had some pretty good moments at the end, when Rainbow stopped being overly obsessive. The whole temple scene was good and so was the part before it with Rainbows friends convincing her to go with them to save Daring. 

Overall, this episode was just meh, it didn't have enough good things to balance out the bad things and it didn't really stick with me. 

I'll give this episode a 6/10

Edited by NocturnalRainbow
  • Brohoof 4

Overall I liked it on first impression.  I'd have to watch it another time or 2 to see what I really think about it.  I wonder how some in the fandom will react to that their fan canon is no longer valid since Twilight's mother is not the author. 

To me Rainbow Dash's character was really unlikable and she was just freaking out like "OMG It's Daring Do!" which was INCREDIBLY annoying! 

Maybe the writers were trying to tell us something with that...xD

• Brohoof 2

It had plenty of cute Rainbow Dash moments, but as it stands, I was pretty indifferent to this one. I don't think the twist that A.K. Yearling and Daring Do are the same was that shocking since it seemed kind of obvious from the start. I think it made the episode shift gears from slice-of-life to adventure in a clunky way.

Now for the nitpicks, which I won't let ruin the experience for those of you who disagree, like so:

Daring herself was a little meaner than she probably needed to be (if she was planning to get caught, she didn't have to rub the blame on RD, even if it was to get her to leave her alone). Also, getting the whole Mane Cast in on the action seemed a bit shoehorned in, though the bit where they cheered RD up was pretty nice.

On the whole, it wasn't terrible, just an already done approach to an already done story.

• Brohoof 1

I found Daring Do to be fun but a bit over the top. It's good, but I didn't like it as much overall as the previous three episodes. Here are some random thoughts:

-I got very suspicious when Yearling's coat color is first shown.

-When we saw Yearling wrapping up her foreleg, I thought it was a sign we'd see a more "realistic" Daring Do. One that's a little over the hill and more injury prone than what's portrayed in her books.

-Instead, she seems nearly as awesome as the fictional pony. I can believe her keeping those thugs at bay. The cats? Not so much. :P

-Her only shortcoming seems to be that she's a poor flier. She would've fallen into that piranha infested water were it not for Rainbow Dash and she needed help with the ring too. No clue if the Daring Do flies well or not as she was hobbled by an injured wing in the only book that's read to us.

-I too loved the return of the Rainbow wub face! :wub:

-Seeing Dashie devolve into the same kind of hopelessly infatuated fangirl Scootaloo was for her in Sleepless In Ponyville was delightful and ironic. :D  But it took her too long to snap out of it. That was annoying.

LMAO that fan filly fueled argument between Twilight and Rainbow Dash has to be the nerdiest argument I have heard about anything in quite a while.

Yup.  Now how long until some Brony reads too much into that and complains they're "pandering" to fans like us who have similarly lively discussions over MLP:FiM?  :derp:

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 5

DARING DO CONFIRMED FOR BEST PONY!

Ahem, yes, I really liked this episode. I liked the independent characterization given to Daring Do and the cute hug with her and RD at the end. The ending might have been somewhat rushed, but I didn't really mind.

• Brohoof 1