Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning The League of Extraordinary Ponies (SteamPunk)

Doc. Volt

@@Doc. Volt,

Thunder could assist in both combat and engineering. When he's off the battlefield, he could make some really cool gadgets as well. That's what I have him doing in one of my other RPs.  

Ok jus don't make it too much. The other side is supposed to be techno :)

@@Wayzer,

well not really tecno.. just like a ww1 army that found pictures of ww2 guns and tried to build them.. so they are very inefective/jams/break down... like star wars storm trooper... they are tecnologically advanced, but to morons/unskilled

@@Wayzer,

well not really tecno.. just like a ww1 army that found pictures of ww2 guns and tried to build them.. so they are very inefective/jams/break down... like star wars storm trooper... they are tecnologically advanced, but to morons/unskilled

Yeah that's what I meant :P

@@Wayzer,

I'll make sure I won't.  

gadgets are welcome, just make sure they don't use electronic/ultra advanced stuff... if you have to make a pen drive try something like this XD

mechanical-memory-key_1.jpg

I wouldn't categorize Thunder Dash as this.  

i was talking about the foes :)

i said that the foeas has weird ww2 looking weps but are really unskilled and only fight upon quantity instead of quality

well guys sorry if missunderstood.. i have only 5 hours to sleep.. i will write down the intro in train and then i will post it tomorow so we can start.. maybe somepony else will join.. btw we will start tomorow.. after the start should i keep it open for new ponies or making it private?

ok then

eehi mate you missunderstood!! i hope you didn't get in as an offence!!! SORRY! if you read it you will see i was talking about the foes!!! i said they have weps and aids while we have our abilities, but theyr aids are just prototipes, bulky stuffs, they fight more like Starwars clone troopers... did u get it? SORRY!

like star wars storm trooper... they are tecnologically advanced, but to morons/unskilled

Actually, the Storm troopers are far from unskilled. 

All throughout the Star Wars trilogy (yes, we're calling it a trilogy, and always will) the enemy Stormtroopers spend almost every battle firing wildly, missing slow-moving targets, and are generally unable to land a shot roughly in the same zipcode as the good stallions. But we know they're not incompetent: We see their handiwork elsewhere in the movies -- like when our heroes stumble across a destroyed sandcrawler -- and Obi-Wan Kenobi himself even says: "These blast-points... Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise." These are supposedly squads of cold, calculating, efficient murder machines, professional soldiers literally bred for the purpose.

Yet, the second you put an Alderaan Princess in front of them, you've got five Stormtroopers missing a stationary target roughly eight hooves away, three firing their guns wildly into the sky, and one asshole trying to ride his blaster rifle like a pony -- and none making the shot.

Fans jokingly refer to it as "Stormtrooper aim." But it's not lazy film-making (or at least, not just that): There's actually a perfectly logical, scientific reason behind this behavior. Soldiers in real wars behave in exactly the same way.

In one war-time study, a Brigadier General found that "only 15 to 20 [percent] would take any part with their weapons." And that this was consistently true, "whether the action was spread over a day, or two days, or three." Eighty percent of the soldiers would not fire, due to nothing more than their innate desire to not take a pony life. We also know that the vast majority of shots fired in battle, miss.

It's hard to aim at a stallion and pull the trigger. Even in firing squads, it's standard practice to give some soldiers blanks or unloaded rifles to diffuse the responsibility of killing amongst all stallions equally. This actually makes the soldiers more likely to pull the trigger, thinking their gun might not be loaded, as well as easing the stallions's consciences after the fact by letting them believe there's a chance theydidn't actually kill the victim.

But even supposing you buy this explanation, there's one glaring omission we've left unaccounted for: If all of these Stormtroopers are missing on purpose, why don't the good stallions seem to have the slightest problem murdering a city-bus worth of dudes every time they stop for gas? Are they more accepting of the brutal realities of war? Are they more faithful in their cause? Are they just a bunch of fucking sociopaths in space vests?

Nope. It's the helmets.

That's right: If the Stormtroopers had just taken off their helmets, they would have probably won the war. Especially considering that they're an elite battalion of well-funded techno-warriors, up against a space hillbilly, a gigolo, a pampered socialite and a furry version of Sloth from the Goonies. It all comes down to the basic principle of dehumanization.

When you remove pony qualities from a pony, you make it much easier to justify acts of violence towards them. In our real life militaries, this is usually done through propaganda: Those aren't ponies you're shooting at, son. They're japs. They're gooks. They're Muslims. They're whatever other label the military wants to fill in, as long as it makes them different -- and therefore less -- than real ponies.

Now remember that very first study: With that conditioning, we've only managed to convince twenty percent of the soldiers to kill another pony being. No matter how much propaganda you inundate them with, when it comes right down to it, they still have to look another member of their species in the eyes, and then kill them. But imagine how much lower that holdout number would be if every single enemy combatant was encased in head-to-toe armor that de-accentuated every pony aspect of their body, each suit was completely indistinguishable from the next, and the whole effect served to make them look very much like one of the many, many lifeless robots that already occupy this fictional world.

Han, Leia, and Luke don't see a pony giving his life for the empire, because he thinks it's the right thing to do, or because he was grown in a vat for it and never had a chance to choose -- they see an anonymous, faceless, evil robot. No different from the three million other identical soldiers standing next to him. And the same holds true for the Stormtroopers: In the bigger battle scenes (like Hoth), they have no problem gunning down rebel footsoldiers. Rebel footsoldiers...in uniform. All identical, all no longer "ponies," just enemies. Look at how deadly accurate they become when facing the uniformed soldiers in the opening scene of Episode IV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fcg3RUDGFk

(Credit:  Adywan's "Star Wars: Revisited." which was a completely cleaned up version of Star Wars frame by frame so that there are no visual contradictions)

But later our heroes come running by -- the only ones out of uniform -- and the battle-hardened Stormtroopers see a charming rogue, a pretty young filly, and a naive farmboy just trying to get the hay off the giant murder planet that's tooling around the galaxy shattering worlds. Hell, they don't want to look like a coward or nothin', so they have to take the shot -- but maybe this time (just this once) the shot goes a little wide. We all make mistakes, right? Who's gonna know?

That's right; the Stormtroopers lost because they were too pony.

The theory may not be perfect, we admit, but it's a hell of a lot better than just assuming the technologically superior, elite empire gave everypony shitty guns because they thought it was funny.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_18858_the-biggest-star-wars-plot-hole-explained-by-science.html#ixzz2n1lMfgec

Or don't because I just quoted the entire article

Edited by GameytheGeemer
  • Brohoof 1

I can't wait for this to start XD

So we can have almost any reason for coming along if its cleared?

yep.. Celestia sent theyr spy eveywhere to find ponies with skills.. he ten sent you letter with offers you coulnd't refuse (if  you can don't make it only to be money... something like the true of your past, or something rare you need really bad etc... the RP will start today, :) )

Actually, the Storm troopers are far from unskilled. 

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_18858_the-biggest-star-wars-plot-hole-explained-by-science.html#ixzz2n1lMfgec

Or don't because I just quoted the entire article

XD yeah they should be skilled. In the movie they act like complete morons though not able to his anybody even if they're like 5 meters away :DIn most other stories they pwn. Stormtroopers should be trained to shoot them rebels :(

XD but still the article has got a point

BTW what time zone's do you guys live in. Can be quite handy to know when you guys gonna post ^^

Like was said before: Doc and me have GMT+1 or CET

Edited by Wayzer

@@Wayzer,

UTC-5

Also for my favorite moment of storm trooper bad ass (one of the best parts of the 'new' trilogy) was when they killed the jedi. That was the equivilent of killing gods.

And since all the Jedi had distinguishable characteristics that set them apart it was easy to dehumanize them.

this will be on the first post of the ROleplay.. do you like it?

“What is the situation general?”
“Not good your highness, the Black Cloud is still advancing, we weren’t able to stop or slow them down…”
“But i have sent all of the royal guards!”
“I know your highness… but they have… some kind of dark magic… scary looking metallic snakes, fire bolts that travel faster than a lightening, their pegasus are a match even for the Wonderbolts and..”
“Stop here, have you lost your mind general?”
“Your highness please believe me… they are not just a bunch of rebels… they are organized as a regular army and they have those terrible stuffs… I’ve lost half of my platoon in less than five minutes… every single soldier died in the following hour… cut away like flowers by a giant blade…”
“ok ok I see… should I call more ponies from the population? We can make a mandatory service call and…
“… my highness… it will be a worthless sacrifice… we need special ponies… we need soldiers with better or at least same abilities as them…. Or we will fall….”
“Special abilities?... Uhm… I have an idea… you can go now general”
The armored, medal covered stallion left the room
“…. Call all of the spies… they have to start right now…”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A month later, a giant dark yellow balloon was floating over the Ponyville dam, tied with lot of metal wires
“ahem… so Doc… how is the floating ship?”
A dark unicorn approached a smaller dusty blue Pegasus, his eyes covered by some safety googles, in  his mouth a soldering tool
“mpf… watcha say Nightstrike?” he then spitted the tool
“I was asking how is the.. balloon? The floating ship? This… thing Celestia asked you to build…”
“It is not a balloon! It is a pilotable ship with a giant air chamber filled with a gas lighter than air … they say it is the same gas you can find in the sun, it is called hydrogen… you can produce it by mixin...”
“ok ok Volt.. jeesh when you start you never stop! You still didn’t answered!”
“…. Ignorant… well, the floating ship is almost finished…  Celestia provided me only the money for a new tool to fight the BCLM  (Black Cloud Liberation Movement )…  I still need a name for HER… I was thinking about that Pegasus ace of the griffons war… what were is name? Oh yes! ZEPPELIN! I shall call this ship Zeppelpony in his honor! What do you think about that Lieutenant Nightstrike?”
“It is horrible…. Doctor Electron Volt, Captain of the Zeppelpony… you should feel ashamed mate…that name sucks”
“Ehi! Celestia promoted you as royal spy liutenent! At least I am captain of something!”
“…whatever… she asked us to meet in a safe place near Marenice… she will send the orders here… when is the ship ready to fly?
(Marenice =Venice, Mare means ‘sea’ in italian so a game of words)
“… untie that rope Nightstrike… you shall fly for the first time in your life”

OOC:
Ok so now each of you will receive a letter from Celestia while doing your stuff/living your life, she promise you the thing you need most in your life, It can be money or something else… (just don’t ask to be king or those kind of impossible stuffs), you can roleplay the moment when  you receive the letter.. it will magical appear in front of you… tell us the reaction of your OC and stuffs… you have a month to go to the location on the letter where we will meet for the first time (not a real life month!! Only in the RP!!! We will jump the delay)… you don’t know each other by the way… we live very different lives in different places, on the briefing I will explain the story of the BCLM, when and why it was formed and I will introduce the enemy and the main Villain… after the meeting you will be free to join the LEAGUE or do what you want, you will be completely free to roleplay as you like… I just made this decision initially so we can all met and start with a solid backstory.

As already said those are some things you need to know
-this is the past of Equestria, around 1850/1900 in human years, Luna is still banned on the moon
-Civilian Ponies that are not part of the BLMC don’t know technology, chemistry or such stuffs, only the normal unicorn magic… they think that he BCLM is using some kind of dark magic and infernal creatures (the metal snakes are bulky looking ww1 tanks)
-The most advanced technological thing that we have is our flying fortress, Tesla coils, and mechanical gadget/stuffs you have, just don’t use electronic gadgets… high voltage can be used btw since it is only brute force, we can have firearms too… just at the level of the American civil war/far west.. so wheel  guns, revolvers, Winchesters, bolt action rifles, they can be upgraded with something out of their period by the way, if you have an hand wielded weapon like a sword, It can have some particular natural ability, like being made of radioactive materials, materials from an asteroid, having an enchantment that gives it special ability, just remember it has to be a “natural” thing, so you can have a ‘Star Wars laser looking sword’, just be sure it is like this because of some kind of magic, nature material, malediction,  etc. and not because you built it with science!
-The RP is meant to be steampunk-like
-The enemy is way more technological advanced than us, since the BCLM is made of weak heart ponies, bad flier pegasus, unskilled unicorns, they base their self  on technology, so heart ponies have automatic guns, Pegasus have jetpacks and some rudimental gyrocopters as bombers, unicorns use chemical weapons and potions
-Theyr weapons are steampunk like, so they are not advanced, they are just like an early-early prototype, so they break down easily… try figuring out a ww1 German army that find a picture of ww2 weapons and the they try to rebuild them… so bulky looking submachines gun, pulsejet jetpacks (very unsafe, also they explode easily) so does  the gas canisters of unicorns/their chemistry
-we base our selves just on our natural ability… is the name of the RP after all… EXTRAORDINARY… so it is a SPELL that turns you invisible, they use a potion, it is YOUR  flying ability that makes you do an high g turn, they need jetpacks, it is YOUR ability with guns that makes you LETHAL even with an old Winchester against an army equipped with automatic guns
-we are QUALITY they are QUANTITY
-BCLM means black cloud liberation movement, black cloud since they build factories everywhere they conquer, but those use steam powered engines so Loooot of pollution, that’s why we call them the black cloud liberation movement

RULES
-the same rules of every RP
-If you are planning to leave please tell us we can ask you to make your oc disappear in a smooth way in the story
-before starting feel free to ask every question on the OOC thread
-admins:  Weizer107 and Doc. Volt
-we will guide only the start, then you are completely free
-we would like to end the RP in the end and make it a coherent closed story
-we (admins) will not guide your OC choices, we can ask as OCs to do something but we are all mercenaries.
-the enemy and the villain will be guided by the admins, but on fights and this kind of stuff YOU will guide the enemy soldiers you are fighting with, what weapons he will use against you etc… we just decide what the BCLM will do AFTER something happens, so we do not decide how a battle should end… YOU decide it if we win or lose, we will just act like generals planning over recent BATTLES RESULTS… so YOU shall decide if you OC die or not, if he/she wins a fight or not, and all TOGHETER on the OOC page we will decide how that skirmish/battle/war will ends, just keep in mind this thing: somewhere after a long period in the RP we will lose the ship… only this…
-if you don’t like a decision we made, please just write on the OOC and we will change it, before posting a BCLM decision on the actual RP we will say what it would be on the OOC page so everyone is always ready and already knows what will happen
-the ship is our home/base and a fixed point where to meet… we will use it only as a way to move in the world to fight… only later in the RP it will be turned to a gunship like an AC-130(if some OC out here is an engineer.. it is your moment… I will prefer energy weapons like Gauss cannons, Tesla coils, coil guns etc. but I really don’t care that much)  but only for a short while since it will be destroyed
-have fun!!!

Edited by Doc. Volt

@@Doc. Volt,

I would like to point out that not only did we have machine guns back in the 1900's, but we had some damn good ones (the kind that you have to hand turn goes back to the civil war period)

So it wouldn't be unbelievable for us to have 1800 grade machine guns and battle ships.

I know we won't, but I would like to point that out. 

@@Doc. Volt,

I would like to point out that not only did we have machine guns back in the 1900's, but we had some damn good ones (the kind that you have to hand turn goes back to the civil war period)

So it wouldn't be unbelievable for us to have 1800 grade machine guns and battle ships.

I know we won't, but I would like to point that out. 

no mate.. you will just be the Heavy pony...first line soldier... you will use an hand wielded version of  this gatling i don't care..

img-2097289-1-Gatling_gun_1865.jpg

Edited by Doc. Volt

im confused on what im i suppose to do

you are doing your buisness on your city, town place etc and while doing it you find a letter from Celestia asking you to go to this location the next month, to convince  you she promised you the think you need most in your life (it can be money or something else)