Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Daring Do is real

pinkiefan1287

So is anyone else bothered by the fact that, Daring Do is real and not just a character?

I have no idea why this is bothering me so much. The only thing that does bother me the most is what she said, in the episode. Daring Do does not let other get close to her because she has secrets. But that kinda get's ruined by the fact that, she writes about her adventures in books. So Daring Do is already telling her secrets to all of her readers. Is she self-centered like Rainbow Dash and just needs to here how awesome she is? It just doesn't make any sense. 

So anyone else thinks it's weird?

Edited by pinkiefan1287
  • Brohoof 8

I get what you're saying, and I have to say that I agree with you. As good as the episode was, it just felt a little weird. It's like, why does she want to work alone in secret, when everypony can just read the adventure she went on in her next book. That's not all that secretive.

• Brohoof 4

Possibly... hrmmm... possibly what she writes in the books is the version *she* wants everyone to think is the truth, and the secrets she is keeping is the real events.

Of course this would have been better presented if the events didn't grind along exactly how her books seemed to be written. If everything was slightly off-script, enough to be noticable, then that would have come over a lot clearer. So, probably not. Ah well, it was a good speculation while it lasted.

• Brohoof 1

It was weird since in Season 2, she was just a character in the book and now she is the one who is writing books about her own adventures. She wants to work alone in secret, but the irony is she claims that she works alone and the thing is she publishes books that have all of her adventures in them.

It kind of bothers me.. It's kind of hard to explain. I was fine with her being the author of the book until her last words at the end of the episode.

"Now I've got a book to write!"

I figure adventurers wouldn't have time to write books.. it just doesn't sound right.

• Brohoof 1

It really bothered me too.

I think I'll be able to get over it, but I was just having fun imagining the Daring Do series as a fandom just like the fandoms in the real world. You know, with shippers and crazy fanfics and all that.

But the fact that she is an actual living, breathing, thinking individual kind of ruins that.

Not that you can't be a fan of someone real, but seriously, the shipping and finfics get intensely more creepy if they involve a real person. Like these crazy shippers I saw once pairing up FAMILY MEMBERS from an actual reality T.V. show.

ALL of the "screw you" to those people.

Those people you're shipping are not your little dolls you can play make believe with.

Give them the decency that being an real human being warrants.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

I think it's a bit pretentious to make a storybook about yourself, but then again, if could be viewed as a autobiography.

What mostly bothers me is that she's just a recolor of Rainbow Dash. She even has the same color eyes. It's really lame in my opinion.

I think she keeps her life a secret because if her adventures became news before she wrote them down, then no one would buy the books. Or if they were interested in reading the books, they would already know the ending so the suspense wouldn't be there. Also, if the readers knew Daring Do was real and writing her own books, the suspense would be lessened even more because no matter what life-threatening situation she gets into in chapter 12, she obviously gets through it okay or she wouldn't have lived to write it down.

I do think it was kind of weird to see her as a real pony. At one point while I was watching I wondered if the whole thing was a setup that the others had prepared as a present for Rainbow Dash. Getting to basically LARP with her hero and all.

I was just having fun imagining the Daring Do series as a fandom just like the fandoms in the real world. You know, with shippers and crazy fanfics and all that.

When I saw the title of the episode and the first few minutes, I thought for sure it was going to be about Rainbow Dash trying to write a fanfic. As yet another nod to the fans. Edited by Princess Lona

Of course I'm real! Duh!

Serious response:

I think it's a pretty cool twist. Granted there's a lot of plot holes in it...but that's water under the bridge. I'm anxious to see if they develop it any further.

• Brohoof 1

An aspect I like about the concept was how it let us know that there are other great conflicts occurring outside the influence of our usual cast of characters.  It actually has me wondering what exactly this valley that Daring Do seems to protect is actually about.

Would probably help if we actually had some Daring Do books to reference (other than the included continuity argument within the episode in question).

What mostly bothers me is that she's just a recolor of Rainbow Dash. She even has the same color eyes. It's really lame in my opinion.

Yeah, this bothered me too. She's a recolour of Rainbow Dash because when she was first introduced it was in RD's vision while she read the book. Of course Dash is going to envision Daring Do to look like herself. It would have been better if when the real character was introduced, she looked completely different than Dash imagined.

TBH it bothers me as it takes the in show fictional character and makes her too real as a literal character now :/

No idea what was going through the heads of the writers on this episode, but it should've been a dream sequence from after RD crashed in the opening.. And I was hoping that all the way till the end where they showed her writing in the diary/journal....

ahhh well.. on the plus, we finally got to see part of Rainbows home on the inside!

I swear, either she's rich, or she just managed to make it all herself from clouds :P

Yeah, this bothered me too. She's a recolour of Rainbow Dash because when she was first introduced it was in RD's vision while she read the book. Of course Dash is going to envision Daring Do to look like herself. It would have been better if when the real character was introduced, she looked completely different than Dash imagined.

Actually Daring Do was also on the cover of the book IIRC.. So it wasn't RD's imagination entirely.
Edited by GrimCW

I've been seeing people say that a lot, but she appeared on the cover of the book, and she was a recolor of Rainbow Dash, so that theory is invalid.

• Brohoof 2

I've been seeing people say that a lot, but she appeared on the cover of the book, and she was a recolor of Rainbow Dash, so that theory is invalid.

Oh yeah. Good eye. You'd think if A.K. Yearling wanted to hide the fact that she is Daring Do she would have chosen cover art that doesn't look exactly like her.

I like Daring Do better as a fictional character too. A few things though: She is selling her books as fiction. I highly doubt anyone would be able to find out that everything thats happened in her books were real. She lives in a secluded part of Equestria, and she needs to make money somehow. Plus, she wears a disguise when she goes out, and of course she has a pseudonym. As for her being on the cover? I refer to her wearing a disguise. So, I don't think those things are really plot holes.

She is selling her books as fiction. I highly doubt anyone would be able to find out that everything thats happened in her books were real

Expect for the ponies Daring Do has dealt with. She even puts them in the books. They read one and they would know all about her. Maybe even ponies, who have helped her and even how she does things.

She lives in a secluded part of Equestria, and she needs to make money somehow.

Well she could sell the artifact off to a museum or maybe have her as a teacher in archeology. To keep the Indiana Jones thing more real. Or even work for Celestia to get the artifacts away from evil.

Plus, she wears a disguise when she goes out, and of course she has a pseudonym.

Daring, wears a hat and cloak. Not really trying to be a master of disguise if your not even change the color of your hair. Just saying, a gust of wind comes and blows off her hat, her fans and enemies will get her.    

I'd definitely agree that something about Daring Do being a real character instead of a fictional one is kind of off-putting. It might've seemed like a cool twist to the writers, and it definitely made for an exciting episode, but going with a dream sequence might've been a wiser move in this case. 

I felt that the writers could've communicated that Rainbow Dash was idolizing celebrities to the point where it was damaging her sense of self-worth in some other way. The Wonderbolts would've been fantastic candidates for an episode like that.

Edited by jackleapp81
  • Brohoof 6

it is kinda weird, but I think its a good kind of weird maybe she'll show up more often? /=|

anyway she might write the books because adventuring doesn't always the pay the bills?

can't really think of a good reason for daring do to be an actual pony instead of just a character in the series /=| maybe they just wanted to do something exciting for the episode

It is was a surprise for me at first but now I am happy with it. Another great character for adventures and for Rainbow Dash to play off of? I welcome this with open arms. Plus, it is nice to see the writers once again not go down some traditional kids show route and make Daring magically come out of the book and then go back or have it be some kind of dream. Nope, it is an actual change again but in my opinion it is another good one. So, kudos to them for that.

I am not bothered by this. In fact, I love it! Given how well Daring and Rainbow worked together, it just seems awesome. It caught me off guard in a good way so it was a nice twist. The writers keep impressing me so far with this season.

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 1

Daring Do is the Indiana Jones of ponies--can we just get over it? It's basically if Indiana Jones wrote novels over his adventures. Sure there may be plotholes, but--I'm pretty sure a lot of the fans like plot holes. (bahaha... that was bad) Anyway--if they have an Indiana Jones pony that opens up for a Sherlock Holmes pony.

• Brohoof 1

DON'T READ MY COMMENT IF YOU DON'T WANT MINOR SPOILERS FOR THE CW'S 'SUPERNATURAL'

The idea of her adventures being turned into a popular book reminds me of what happened in Supernatural. Their adventures were written into a series by a psychic/prophet. It got its own fanbase and had easily 20+ books about Sam & Dean's adventures. Yet all the fans dismissed it as fiction just like us bronies do. We know that ponies don't talk, but we wish they did.

What I'm saying here is that the spn characters were safe because the readers of their series used their basic human intuition and decided that nothing in them actually occurred, even with all the proof happening around them in the US. I'd think that Daring Do would feel the same because many ponies would see it purely as fiction. What with all the faraway lands and such.

Sure, magic exists. And many ponies (especially ponyville ponies) have seen enemies such as Discord who have wreaked havoc, but those are like wars to them. Politics and such. Meanwhile, Daring Do is just a book series about a brave mare who saves the world from many threats. Just a book, right?

Sorry, I'm rambling. I'll stop now.

A lot of folks don't like real Do. I wonder if I could come up with a Daring is real episode folks would like.

Okay so book delayed and Rainbow Dash drags Twilight alone out to find the author only to discover Daring Do is a real pony, a normal pony that looks about 40 and is currently digging for pottery at a forgotten village. Rainbow Dash is very eager to talk to her about her adventures but Daring sidesteps the questions and seems more interested in talking to Twilight about Archeology. Soon Rainbow Dash begins to notice things are off like how Daring Do isn't physically that strong, tires out easily and has a wee bit of a gut, how she needs an inhaler anytime there is dust which is always because they are at a dig, is spooked by sudden noises and is awkward socially and physically.

Rainbow Dash feels betrayed by her hero whom wrote the book during a midlife crisis then continued to fund her normal digs. Then hench ponies looking for loot attack and break a small ancient statue of Ahuizotl Daring keeps on her desk causing it come to life and he is not the kitschy villain of the books who makes overly complicate death traps and laughs evilly but a real threat to everypony. Twilight realizes that they need Darings knowledge of the real Ahuizotl of legend whom she has been studying for years to stop him. Dash however has lost complete faith in her fictional hero and decides to go it on her own just like fictional Daring Do would but winds up in trouble.

In the end Twilight and Daring save the day and Rainbow Dash who realizes that Daring is brave, heroic and lot more like Twilight then she is like her and that isn't a bad thing. Accepts that DD she knows is fiction and the real one is a friend. She then looks forward to the next tale she writes.

That was supposed to be one paragraph...

Edited by ALIS
  • Brohoof 4

A lot of folks don't like real Do. I wonder if I could come up with a Daring is real episode folks would like.

Okay so book delayed and Rainbow Dash drags Twilight alone out to find the author only to discover Daring Do is a real pony, a normal pony that looks about 40 and is currently digging for pottery at a forgotten village. Rainbow Dash is very eager to talk to her about her adventures but Daring sidesteps the questions and seems more interested in talking to Twilight about Archeology. Soon Rainbow Dash begins to notice things are off like how Daring Do isn't physically that strong, tires out easily and has a wee bit of a gut, how she needs an inhaler anytime there is dust which is always because they are at a dig, is spooked by sudden noises and is awkward socially and physically.

Rainbow Dash feels betrayed by her hero whom wrote the book during a midlife crisis then continued to fund her normal digs. Then hench ponies looking for loot attack and break a small ancient statue of Ahuizotl Daring keeps on her desk causing it come to life and he is not the kitschy villain of the books who makes overly complicate death traps and laughs evilly but a real threat to everypony. Twilight realizes that they need Darings knowledge of the real Ahuizotl of legend whom she has been studying for years to stop him. Dash however has lost complete faith in her fictional hero and decides to go it on her own just like fictional Daring Do would but winds up in trouble.

In the end Twilight and Daring save the day and Rainbow Dash who realizes that Daring is brave, heroic and lot more like Twilight then she is like her and that isn't a bad thing. Accepts that DD she knows is fiction and the real one is a friend. She then looks forward to the next tale she writes.

That was supposed to be one paragraph...

All my yes! I wish this was a thing! But alas...  :(

I didn't like it either. It just didn't feel right. I would prefer her just being a character in a story. I wonder if there are going to be more episodes of her teaming up with Rainbow.