Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Daring Do is real

pinkiefan1287

Honestly, I didn't like Daring Do that much in this episode, she was kind of a jerk. And even worse, I DID like RD, and I normally find her boisterous and annoying. Seeing how Daring Do is a real pony, rather than just a character in a book, we may see her more, which I find to be...not...good. That prospect does not excite me. Not even a little, which is unfortunate, because I love the reading episodes. Anyways, that she was telling her own story makes me think that she had expanded on her heroism, which I'm not really okay with.

But at the end of the day it's a cartoon, and all this speculation is a little silly.

Edited by Troblems

I'm bothered that we have to say she's real and there's a paradox in having to explain among 6 techno colored ponies some how that's hard to believe.

Now if everyone who hates the idea of daring do admits to me George lucas is a terrible writer, I would be glad to join the anti daring do side on principle.

No?  To bad, it doesn't bug me.

Edited by FNGRpony

I don't really mind. But question do come to pass. When dos she ever have time sit down in pace write down dos book's?

(Daring do sit down at here typ writer. And says. Aha finally some pace and quit. out of the blue some stallions bust in her place start raking the hole place. Daring do response. Buck IT! Will ever get time finish my book!)

Now if everyone who hates the idea of daring do admits to me George lucas is a terrible writer, I would be glad to join the anti daring do side on principle.

lol.. By right he is a terrible writer in most all regards.

He has IDEA'S that are good, but when put to paper his versions SUUUUUUCK... The only ones he did good were those he plagiarized (starwars Ep 4-6), or had someone else write (Indiana Jones)

But his personal work.. its as if he was trying to sabotage things, especially in more recent years before the sellout.

All in all, thats actually not to dissimilar a mark.. good show :P

Doesn't make me feel better about Daring Do being real, and TBH I'm not Anti Do, I'm just... on the shelf about it. I'm not concerned personally though given its the writers that lead things and not me. But it still feels odd story wise.

Its strange to have taken a fictional hero and made them literal in existence, even if it is within a fictional show.

So much could've been done on teaching about the joys of reading (ala the original purpose of the Daring Do character to Rainbow Dash), but now they've all but shot that out the door :(

Instead we now know DD is real, and as such her character takes on less of a teaching tool role, and more of a literal character role :(

• Brohoof 1

Expect for the ponies Daring Do has dealt with. She even puts them in the books. They read one and they would know all about her. Maybe even ponies, who have helped her and even how she does things.

Why would they read it in the first place? I'm sure she keeps her books away from them, and they probably could care less about reading anything.

Well she could sell the artifact off to a museum or maybe have her as a teacher in archeology. To keep the Indiana Jones thing more real. Or even work for Celestia to get the artifacts away from evil.

I don't think selling the artifact would be a very good idea. And yeah, she could be a teacher in archeology, but not many ponies (if any at all besides the henchponies) live there, so I don't she could find a job like that. Of course she could just move, but I think shes in the forest for a good reason. If she wasn't there to fight against Ahuizotl, and whatever else could be up there, what would happen to Equestria? She could work for Celestia, but I'm not sure how that would work. Canterlot, and the forest shes in, is a far distance away, so they'd have trouble communicating.

Daring, wears a hat and cloak. Not really trying to be a master of disguise if your not even change the color of your hair. Just saying, a gust of wind comes and blows off her hat, her fans and enemies will get her.    

You have a good point on this though. It is glaringly obvious. /:

I do think Daring Do works better as a fictional character, and would have preferred for them to keep it that way, but its not that far fetched. I didn't think it fit well in with Equestria at first, but, well, its Equestria. For Equestria, I think they made Daring Do believeable enough as a real character with those stories actually happening. Whose to say she never tweaked the stories in her book from real life at least a little bit, anyway? Don't get me wrong, I like her better as a fictional character, and it is better that way, but what I'm trying to say she isn't that bad as a real character. I thought this episode had a lot of plot holes at first, but it really only has one or two.

So is anyone else bothered by the fact that, Daring Do is real and not just a character?

I have no idea why this is bothering me so much. The only thing that does bother me the most is what she said, in the episode. Daring Do does not let other get close to her because she has secrets. But that kinda get's ruined by the fact that, she writes about her adventures in books. So Daring Do is already telling her secrets to all of her readers. Is she self-centered like Rainbow Dash and just needs to here how awesome she is? It just doesn't make any sense.

So anyone else thinks it's weird?

Hmmm...I didn't really think about that before. Now that you mention it that is sort of weird...or maybe she just doesn't want to give away spoilers for her book. :)

Edited by Guest

It really bothered me.

I think it would have been more interesting if Daring was based on a real pony, like an archaeologist. but the books are written and produced by some business pony that embellishes the stories.

Making the real thing exactly like in the books, I think, turns Daring Do into this superhero that is not necessarily bad, but she got so little development and got pulled right out of left field, just like Cadance and Shining Armor, but it's worse because Daring is so much more important because she's been having these epic adventures since probably before the Mane Six got the Elements. And she seems to be completely off the radar. It doesn't make sense.

• Brohoof 1

The first thing I thought while watching this plot unfold is "OMG J.K Rowling is a wizard!"... :derp:   I mean come on, that pen name is such a rip of Harry Potter's author. Anywhooo.....I am pretty darn indifferant about this strange plot twist in Equestria happenings....It's not really even implied that she lives in Equestria at all. If we are to take the world Equestria is in, compare it with the canon comics, and the Crystal Empire's existance, plus let's not forget Saddle Arabia......there must more the world Equestria is in than meets the eye. Also, just look at the 'native' ponies....I know it's a take off from the Aztecs...but if Equestria has Manehatten, why are there primal ponies? They obviouslly cannot be in Equestria, and Daring Do's cottage is near where all the action took place....

I felt it was just not right.

So there is other creatures ponies need to discover.

Such as that cat looking villian whatever his name was. There are those in Equestria?

And there's a ancient mexico near ponyville?

Wow this is just a strange turn for the series.

And btw if there was an evil villian trying to plunge somewhere into 400 years of heat, why didn't celestia notice?

:huh: so many things that are confusing me

If anyone can u are welcome to explain.

So is anyone else bothered by the fact that, Daring Do is real and not just a character?

I have no idea why this is bothering me so much. The only thing that does bother me the most is what she said, in the episode. Daring Do does not let other get close to her because she has secrets. But that kinda get's ruined by the fact that, she writes about her adventures in books. So Daring Do is already telling her secrets to all of her readers. Is she self-centered like Rainbow Dash and just needs to here how awesome she is? It just doesn't make any sense. 

So anyone else thinks it's weird?

Her adventure is a secret AS she goes on them, as well as the fact that by putting on a guise of having a different name, it appears to all of her readers that her work is simply fiction. It works all in all, but it was definitely a weird episode.

Why would they read it in the first place? I'm sure she keeps her books away from them, and they probably could care less about reading anything.  

They would read them in order to find out what went wrong with the first trap. Then make sure the next one she can't get out of. Or maybe find out where she get's all of her info from. Then take the pony out. So they would not read for fun, but to learn. Also I don't think Daring Do can keep every villain from buying a book. She would have to watch ever store in Equstria. Also they could steal the books to. That and the bad guys could go after fans of the book as a threat to her. Keep getting in a are way and some of your fans won't live long enough to see your next book.

Besides, the villain most know about the books, seeing as they went to her house. 

I don't think selling the artifact would be a very good idea. And yeah, she could be a teacher in archeology, but not many ponies (if any at all besides the henchponies) live there, so I don't she could find a job like that. Of course she could just move, but I think shes in the forest for a good reason. If she wasn't there to fight against Ahuizotl, and whatever else could be up there, what would happen to Equestria? She could work for Celestia, but I'm not sure how that would work. Canterlot, and the forest shes in, is a far distance away, so they'd have trouble communicating.  

Well there could be other ponies in archeology. Many other could have her talent. Not a bad idea to get a new generation ready. Indiana Jones was a teacher and he still beat the Nazis and an evil group. 

True Ahuizotl is out there, but as long as Daring Do has the item he will always have to go after her. That and the forest is huge. Hard to believe one pegasus watches the whole thing. 

Daring and Celestia could work something out. Daring is a pegasus so she could just fly to her or something magic could do it.  

She wants to work alone to keep others out of her business. As you can see, what Daring goes through can be very life threatening to other ponies. No one knows of her existence, but that she is a character, therefore has no problem writing her secrets to the public. Like anypony would believe her, right?
The Mane 6 just happened to get tangled up in her mess in their quest to find the author.

Edited by Kitteh O' Shy

fdfdsa fd d asd adf  23r2r r2

Edited by plzremoveaccountfdfd

Doesn't bother me at all considering everything else that happens in this series

Edited by Junpei Iori

I'd definitely agree that something about Daring Do being a real character instead of a fictional one is kind of off-putting. It might've seemed like a cool twist to the writers, and it definitely made for an exciting episode, but going with a dream sequence might've been a wiser move in this case. 

I felt that the writers could've communicated that Rainbow Dash was idolizing celebrities to the point where it was damaging her sense of self-worth in some other way. The Wonderbolts would've been fantastic candidates for an episode like that.

Actually, Twilight did point that out to RD quite explicitly: "It's fine to look up to Daring Do. But you put her so high up on a pedestal, you can't even see your own worth anymore."

But I'm also a little conflicted about this. It's like they didn't really think it through, and decided the short-term entertainment value in the idea was more important than the long-term inconsistencies it would raise in canon. Many of us have observed that trend in Dave Polsky's writing before, and this could be another example of it. I hate to use the word "lazy" but Cherry Changa may be on to something. I see that plenty of people liked it and that's great, but if I ever do fanwork about Daring Do, I may stick to the pre-S4 view of her just to avoid the confusion.

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone

Daring Do as real character - not quite bad idea. But she was badly introduced, it's very awkward and weird that she is just identical like in book.
She didn't have to look exactly like at the book cover at all. Is the cover artist knows her or at least saw her? Or she designs pictures to her book herself?

She could be much older and look differently, she could give lesson to mane 6 and telling stories about her adventures when she was young. This Ahuizotl could be real ans she could just warn and prepare them to deal with him. This all would give much less plot holes.

I'm bothered that we have to say she's real and there's a paradox in having to explain among 6 techno colored ponies some how that's hard to believe.

I don't understand the argument of "its a story about colorful talking horses, it already makes no sense so plot holes are okay". What is so implausible about a world where colorful talking horses exist? Things like that aren't comparable to plot holes, which are inconsistencies with an established set of natural laws in the fictional universe of a story.

An example would be, in one series, having the ability to read minds is impossible, no one can do it. All of a sudden, one of the characters reads someone's mind, and no explanation is given. Add to that, no one, including said character, acts like it's abnormal, even tho it had already been established that such a thing is impossible in this fictional universe.

If it's established that talking colorful horses exist in a fiction universe, than you're supposed to just accept it as logical. So the argument of "this series has talking colorful horses" as an excuse for errors in the writing just doesn't work.

I really did love the episode but the whole Daring Do being real thing did seem kind of out of left field, just too weird. So yeah I'm okay with it now because the episode was epic, but it's gonna take some time to get used to the fact that such an awesome once fictional character has been real all along :blink:

I can't decide whether I loved the concept or hated it.

I honestly liked seeing RD fan girl over Daring. I think it was adorable, actually. And, dat moment when her self esteem actually went down.... Dem feels.

On the other hand, though, I didn't really like how Daring Do was real. I would have preferred she stayed a fictional character, and the episode be more a slice of life about the author shoving RD aside. Heck, maybe Twilight could have cast a spell that sent the ponies straight into one of the Daring Do books. I just wasn't a huge fan of the real characters.