Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP:FIM is unrealistic and implausible, why?

Cutelestia

''Well, of course, it's a children cartoon and unicorns aren't real!'' -  You could say. But because I have Asperger and sometimes I overanalyze everything just like Twilight, I found a lot of errors. Now, let's see what is and what isn't an error.

Unicorns exist, they have their planet, they behave like humans but don't know what humans are - Realistic, because it's based on us. When their behavior is realistic, we don't care if magic is real - bonus points if the physics of magic are explained.

Ponies accidentaly have architecture and low technology similar to ours, Pinkie's hand glove- Plausible, because there are bipedal species in Equestria which could explain door handles and tools. It's possible that ponies copied things from those cultures.

Los Pegasus, Manehattan, Canterlot - Hardly Plausible, because they would need to have a nearly identical history to ours to come up with such names. Puns are fun, but they ruin the plausibility.

Arcade Cabinets, Twilight's Lab, Electricity - Far Fetched, because it's really confusing which level of technology Equestria is at. There is not extreme poverty, so the houses are build with the highest level possible. It seems to be 19 century with medieval stuff, which doesn't explain Arcade Cabinets. Twilight couldn't build that lab which is obviously hi-tech without knowledge from books - which would be accessible for everyone. It isn't explained what runs on magic or electricity - and there isn't a conflict betwen these two. There is no explanation why Earth Ponies and pegasuses are not learning about electricity and technology, if the magic is given such importance.

Twilight speaking about Casanova, Heart- shaped windows on Friendship Express, References to other shows from our universe, Pinkie's Hand glove, Groucho Mask, SHERLOCK HOLMES - Unrealistic, because Casanova is a human from real world, Heart shaped winows on a Train are just ridiculous (Not to mention G3.5 like). All references ruin the plausbility, even the sneak ones. Groucho Mask is a very ridiculous thing that ruins plausibility for me. There is no bipedal species in Equestria that has a human like nose. And for the love of all that's holy, the Sherlock Holmes episode is officially the most ridiculous one. It's a reference that RUINED the plausibility in this episode.

I know that this is a children cartoon, but if Lauren Faust was careful not to make too many references to humans, why couldn't they make sure that there won't be any errors like these? They cared about a good stories, why not care about being at least plausible? There are many cartoons, like Ben 10 UA or many Toonami ones that were very realistic about behavior and plausibility. Just because MLP is for children, doesn't mean it has to be like this. 

I still think that the show is fun, it's just that I can see some holes  ;) 

• Brohoof 4

i found myself agreeing on pretty much everything you posted, except this one here:

Heart- shaped windows on Friendship Express

this one should be realistic.

the heart shape we know and use is not shaped that way because it is some kind of human-only thing.

the two halves represent the two halves, or chambers, of the heart. ponies have two chambers in their heart too. actually, pretty much every animal does. i don't even know if there are hearts with only one chamber!

but yeah, other then that i't a pretty damn good post :P

How do you even enjoy the show in the first place? XD

Its a land of magical ponies, it doesn't have to prove squat XD

I still enjoy it, and magical ponies can be realistic under certain circumstances. Maybe I'm overanalyzing?  ^_^

i found myself agreeing on pretty much everything you posted, except this one here:

this one should be realistic.

the heart shape we know and use is not shaped that way because it is some kind of human-only thing.

the two halves represent the two halves, or chambers, of the heart. ponies have two chambers in their heart too. actually, pretty much every animal does. i don't even know if there are hearts with only one chamber!

but yeah, other then that i't a pretty damn good post :P

Well, I was talking more about the implausibility that such shaped windows would be on train, but yeah, maybe that's just far fetched.

• Brohoof 2

They're talking horses!

talking_horse_sized.jpg

Granted, horses do better with sound communication than most other animals, but they aren't as good as birds or even dogs in that regard.  Horses mostly communicate through visual cues (this is why bareback riding is so difficult), thus talking horses is extremely unrealistic.

• Brohoof 1

They're talking horses!

img-2103747-1-talking_horse_sized.jpg

Granted, horses do better with sound communication than most other animals, but they aren't as good as birds or even dogs in that regard.  Horses mostly communicate through visual cues (this is why bareback riding is so difficult), thus talking horses is extremely unrealistic.

But that's not implausible. In their universe horses evolved to be speech capable, maybe with help of magic? Like I said before, existence of magic, unicorns and stuff like that can be created as very plausible and realistic. (Rowling did it.) I usually ignore stuff such as identical cuisine to ours, language (Alphabet and language could've been created by a bipedal species), because we need to at least relate to them. 

In some adult shows like Star Trek, humanlike species have a good explanation, common ancestor. Thanks to this explanation aliens can be realistic.

Problems arise when ponies have too clear references to our world which creates unexplainable problems such as Groucho Mask.

The only way MLP:FIM could be realistic is if it was a post-apocalyptic world with humans extinct, (Or a planet created by humans for the children, like a Disneyland) which was the basis of many fanfics with Lyra as protagonist.

Edited by Cutelestia

That's very good OP. A Broohoof for you. :) I agree that you do have to accept certain things at some point or it becomes hard to enjoy the show. I pretty much accept whatever the writers do, but that doesn't mean I Iike everything. The show is like a giant puzzle and at times the writers give us the right piece, but at other times the pieces don't fit and you either ignore it or make it fit anyway.

As far as the pony's talking I don't see them having much in common biological with our horses. They are a hybrid of equine, primate, and even feline and canine characteristics.

Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 1

It's a show designed for little girls, not for us. A little girl isn't going to say "Manehattan is completely unplausible" 

If said little girl knows about Manhattan, she'll laugh at the idea of manehattan. Furthermore it's a fantasy show, things don't have to make sense. 

It's a show designed for little girls, not for us. A little girl isn't going to say "Manehattan is completely unplausible" 

If said little girl knows about Manhattan, she'll laugh at the idea of manehattan. Furthermore it's a fantasy show, things don't have to make sense. 

I honestly don't know who the show is designed for. We are in 2010's, the age where fans have an immense influence on creators. It's obvious that without bronies, the show wouldn't look the way it looks.

What would be plausible is a city similar to Manhattan (though not exactly the same or with obvious similarities) with a name like Mane City or something like that.

And even fantasy stories can make sense and be realistic. (LOTR, Harry Potter)

Edited by Cutelestia

Yes, like LOTR and the Harry Potter series made complete logical sense. 

You're also trying to dismiss my initial claim on a whim to suit your needs. However I can see that trying to reason with you would be like talking to a brick wall, so enjoy your circle jerk. 

Edited by Tech Pony

Yes, like LOTR and the Harry Potter series made complete logical sense. 

You're also trying to dismiss my initial claim on a whim to suit your needs. However I can see that trying to reason with you would be like talking to a brick wall, so enjoy your circle jerk. 

Both series had a very logical explanations for everything, no references, realistic behavior and species. 

And you can reason with me.

I'd say the way question is, who cares? (No offense.)

Some people like me, but I still like the show.

So there are some things which are unrealistic and unbelievable about MLP but the same can be said about any sort of fantasy series. What makes things work though even if certain things are unbelievable is to make them believable enough to allow for most people to be able to suspend enough disbelief to enjoy what they are seeing. MLP has been able to do this with strong, relatable characters with realistic and believable character strengths and flaws. These have managed to be written so well that they have transcended stereotypes about what is "for boys" or "for girls".

• Brohoof 1

So there are some things which are unrealistic and unbelievable about MLP but the same can be said about any sort of fantasy series. What makes things work though even if certain things are unbelievable is to make them believable enough to allow for most people to be able to suspend enough disbelief to enjoy what they are seeing. MLP has been able to do this with strong, relatable characters with realistic and believable character strengths and flaws. These have managed to be written so well that they have transcended stereotypes about what is "for boys" or "for girls".

That I have to agree with - I love the show despite the inaccuraties and the characters are wonderful. I can't even explain how much I loved (and still love) Twilight after I start to watch the show. Personalities of ponies are definitely realistic.

Edited by Cutelestia

The references run on Rule Of Funny. And for all we know there may be a pony version of Casanova or Sherlock Holmes that they were actually referencing.

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 1

That I have to agree with - I love the show despite the inaccuraties and the characters are wonderful. I can't even explain how much I loved (and still love) Twilight after I start to watch the show. Personalities of ponies are definitely realistic.

I know what you mean, I feel the same way about Applejack I loved her right away and I loved Luna for almost as long as AJ. And Derpy and Pinkie Pie though not as much as Applejack fairly quickly as well. Certain characters took a bit longer for me but one of them being Twilight eventually ended up typing with Applejack and Luna for my favorite pony.

The references run on Rule Of Funny. And for all we know there may be a pony version of Casanova or Sherlock Holmes that they were actually referencing.

Well, that IS a good explanation actually. It could explain why their language is identical to us - it's just a very very big coincidence taht their universe is so similar to ours.. Though it still doesn't explain Groucho Mask, it does make some sense.

I know what you mean, I feel the same way about Applejack I loved her right away and I loved Luna for almost as long as AJ. And Derpy and Pinkie Pie though not as much as Applejack fairly quickly as well. Certain characters took a bit longer for me but one of them being Twilight eventually ended up typing with Applejack and Luna for my favorite pony.

I have to admit that my love for Twilight wasn't like being in love with someone - I actually wanted to become Twilight, and I still want to. Despite her flaws, she's perfect for me - Her personality is like mine, her appearance is ULTRA sexy, and her voice is even better. Mane 6 have a very realistic personalities, I understand why many bronies want to marry their favorite pony.

Theres a reason why things are called fictional, because they aren't real ... xD  

So now that we have determined that a show is in no way shape or form meant to be real doesn't this make the thread pointless? :P

Why do some people have to go so in depth for a show that clearly is meant to be unrealistic, light hearted and fun xD 

Edited by Skylar
  • Brohoof 1

Ever play a strategy game such as the Total War series? The first faction I played was Sweden, at first I failed then the second time I played Sweden, I succeed by achieving all of my objectives in thirty moves, I even laid siege to Moscow and Warsaw at the same time in the winter, historically my army would not have lasted in a eastern winter. Despite the unrealistic and implausible the game Empire total war looks it's very fun and it is my favourite strategy game, just like MLP-FiM there is going to be inconsistencies and plot holes, because it is basically improvised story telling, yet it is the ability of the writer to suspend believe of the reader, and to see a story in a different way, it could make sense or contain incongruity but as long as you can feeling that it is possible, that is when the story and the characters come altogether and make its own sense.     

Edited by Emperor Peter

Theres a reason why things are called fictional, because they aren't real ... xD  

So now that we have determined that a show is in no way shape or form meant to be real doesn't this make the thread pointless? :P

Why do some people have to go so in depth for a show that clearly is meant to be unrealistic, light hearted and fun xD 

Well, I don't know if it's meant to be enitrely unrealistic. It's not MAD, which is that kind of show where nothing has to make sense. MLP:FIM has a structure, episodes form a story, and creators know that they shoul make it a little more mature for majority of fans, that is, us. Besides, the more realistic or plausible something is, the more fun it is to watch, at least for me.

So? I have Aspergers too, but I don't really care about any of that stuff.

And I can assure you there are over-analyzers on this site that DON'T have Aspergers.

If the theory of many different dimensions and realities are true, who's to say they CAN'T have a similar histories?

They could run completely parallel in some cases.

And in a non-universe example, it's a show made by humans, FOR humans.

So there's going to be things in it that are human, thus the viewers can make connections between their lives and the lives of the characters. Many of your "holes" are references and jokes. The point is for it to make the viewer laugh. I don't see you pointing out how Pinkie could break the fourth wall at the end of Magic Duel, complaining about her lack of a mouth, and then Twilight does it too and fixes Pinkie's mouth, without questioning the black void she's suddenly in.

Because you're not supposed to care. It's supposed to be funny.

But maybe I just have a better ability to suspend disbelief than other people. I don't NEED a show to explain every single thing to me.

I watch a lot MLP reaction videos, and I often find that many people seem to flip their lids in confusion when something they don't understand pops up, to which I usually want to scream, "Shut up for a second and you'll get it!!" 

Sure I love to delve into minuscule details too, but that's only when I'm world building.

Like when I was watching a Marvel cartoon with Thor and the Frost giants, I found myself wondering:

"Okay, Frost giants seem to show all the signs of being mammalian, but they're also technically a magical race living in a COMPLETELY frozen wasteland... So are frost giants warm-blooded and generate their own body heat, with a really high resistance to cold? Or are they ice cold inside and out?"

• Brohoof 2

Ever play a strategy game such as the Total War series? The first faction I played was Sweden, at first I failed then the second time I played Sweden, I succeed by achieving all of my objectives in thirty moves, I even laid siege to Moscow and Warsaw at the same time in the winter, historically my army would not have lasted in a eastern winter. Despite the unrealistic and implausible the game Empire total war looks it's very fun and it is my favourite strategy game, just like MLP-FiM there is going to be inconsistencies and plot holes, because it is basically improvised story telling, yet it is the ability of the writer to suspend believe of the reader, and to see a story in a different way, it could make sense or contain incongruity but as long as you can feeling that it is possible, that is when the story and the characters come altogether and make its own sense.     

I know what you mean, but there is the problem - let's imagine that Twilight defeats Celestia by hitting her with her hoof. I could compare that to your Total War example, because it's implausible, but definitely possible, no matter how unlikely. But now, imagine that in your Total War, you have something which is not an easter egg, like a mission which is said to be part of World War II where you have a Portal Gun. Now that would be unrealistic. Like I said, I turn a blind eye when they use our alphabet or have the culture similar to ours, only when clear mentioning of human world appears I find it unrealistic.

So? I have Aspergers too, but I don't really care about any of that stuff.

And I can assure you there are over-analyzers on this site that DON'T have Aspergers.

If the theory of many different dimensions and realities are true, who's to say they CAN'T have a similar histories?

They could run completely parallel in some cases.

And in a non-universe example, it's a show made by humans, FOR humans.

So there's going to be things in it that are human, thus the viewers can make connections between their lives and the lives of the characters. Many of your "holes" are references and jokes. The point is for it to make the viewer laugh. I don't see you pointing out how Pinkie could break the fourth wall at the end of Magic Duel, complaining about her lack of a mouth, and then Twilight does it too and fixes Pinkie's mouth, without questioning the black void she's suddenly in.

Because you're not supposed to care. It's supposed to be funny.

But maybe I just have a better ability to suspend disbelief than other people. I don't NEED a show to explain every single thing to me.

I watch a lot MLP reaction videos, and I often find that many people seem to flip their lids in confusion when something they don't understand pops up, to which I usually want to scream, "Shut up for a second and you'll get it!!" 

Sure I love to delve into minuscule details too, but that's only when I'm world building.

Like when I was watching a Marvel cartoon with Thor and the Frost giants, I found myself wondering:

"Okay, Frost giants seem to show all the signs of being mammalian, but they're also technically a magical race living in a COMPLETELY frozen wasteland... So are frost giants warm-blooded and generate their own body heat, with a really high resistance to cold? Or are they ice cold inside and out?"

I just like to overanalyze everything. I like for example how GTA V is hyperrealistic. If MLP:FIm wasn't a children show but a fantasy (but serious) cartoon for adults, everyone would analyze it.

Go to 2:25 :P

Says exactly what im trying to say xD 

That was really funny! I liked the part with dubstep!  :lol:

I just like to overanalyze everything.

Which is fine. But what you're suggesting is that the "holes" you brought up are actual flaws in the show that need serious addressing (or at least it's coming off that way), when they're not. None of these things mentioned really matter much in the long run.

The fact that "Manehattan" or "Casanova" are referenced can be hand-waved away with the existence of alternate realities and parallel universes. The fact that video games exist while the internet apparently does not could be explained by some pony inventor just wanting to make a video game specifically. Humans created the internet (or the beginnings of the internet) for MILITARY purposes originally, a reason that would not be very likely in a peaceful place like Equestria.

Here on Earth, many technological advances are developed because human nations are constantly trying to one-up each other. If Equestrian technology is created only for convenience and fun, then their tech development would occur much differently. And don't forget that in their world technology also has competition in the form of magic, which would help solve some of the same problems that humans would use tech to deal with

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

Which is fine. But what you're suggesting is that the "holes" you brought up are actual flaws in the show that need serious addressing (or at least it's coming off that way), when they're not. None of these things mentioned really matter much in the long run.

The fact that "Manehattan" or "Casanova" are referenced can be hand-waved away with the existence of alternate realities and parallel universes. The fact that video games exist while the internet apparently does not could be explained by some pony inventor just wanting to make a video game specifically. Humans created the internet (or the beginnings of the internet) for MILITARY purposes originally, a reason that would not be very likely in a peaceful place like Equestria.

Here on Earth, many technological advances are developed because human nations are constantly trying to one-up each other. If Equestrian technology is created only for convenience and fun, then their tech development would occur much differently. And don't forget that in their world technology also has competition in the form of magic, which would help solve some of the same problems that humans would use tech to deal with

What about Groucho Mask?

What about Groucho Mask?

Again, it's a joke. Made by humans for humans.

Humans are watching the cartoon, and they know who Groucho is, so the joke is for them to laugh at.

Heck in-universe, it could just be a random, silly mask Pinkie happens to have and she's goofy enough to think it's an inconspicuous disguise. They also have foam fingers in the MLP world. Though to be fair they also have minotaurs like Iron Will, and he has hands.

• Brohoof 1