Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP:FIM is unrealistic and implausible, why?

Cutelestia

How do you even enjoy the show in the first place? XD

Its a land of magical ponies, it doesn't have to prove squat XD

A show has to allow a fan to suspend disbelief.  It's some pro wrestling fans understand. 

I use to be one, and there comes a time where your sitting in front of your tv, or what have you and your mind just goes

"yeah no."

I can't tell you when that moment is suppose to be, you have to make up that for yourself.

but when you see enough goofy things where you can't imagine mlp being a fun fantasy land,

yes it loses something.

hows that?

A show has to allow a fan to suspend disbelief.  It's some pro wrestling fans understand. 

I use to be one, and there comes a time where your sitting in front of your tv, or what have you and your mind just goes

"yeah no."

I can't tell you when that moment is suppose to be, you have to make up that for yourself.

but when you see enough goofy things where you can't imagine mlp being a fun fantasy land,

yes it loses something.

hows that?

I get he over analizes the show but I doubt i'd enjoy it if I picked at it that much. That's all I was implying xD

I get he over analizes the show but I doubt i'd enjoy it if I picked at it that much. That's all I was implying xD

I beg to differ.

See that's the whole thing I've read movie reviews from ebert back when he was alive,

i've seen reveiws from ben yahtzee. 

The fan analysis in mlp is awesome because their not from dried up souless witherd husks of men, devoid of joy or what makes a fan a fan,

excluding drowning in horse shoes and voice of reason ^ ~.

you can over think it, if you can still be a fan while doing so.

Edited by FNGRpony

Again, it's a joke. Made by humans for humans.

Humans are watching the cartoon, and they know who Groucho is, so the joke is for them to laugh at.

Heck in-universe, it could just be a random, silly mask Pinkie happens to have and she's goofy enough to think it's an inconspicuous disguise. They also have foam fingers in the MLP world. Though to be fair they also have minotaurs like Iron Will, and he has hands.

Foam Fingers are therefore plausible and realistic. Ok, Manehattan - Alternate Universe name, like Liberty City. Casanova - I get it, pony who was a pony version of human Casanova. Sherlock Holmes Reference - Ok, they had their own version, perhaps not even named Sherlock Holmes (Like Daring Do is a rip off of Indiana Jones but is plausible). The only way Groucho could be plausible is by ponies knowing of EG universe, where humans exist, and they don't know about it. It's an error in matrix for me and I can swallow other errors but not this one.

But like I said before, I still like the show, even with errors I can spot.

Foam Fingers are therefore plausible and realistic. Ok, Manehattan - Alternate Universe name, like Liberty City. Casanova - I get it, pony who was a pony version of human Casanova. Sherlock Holmes Reference - Ok, they had their own version, perhaps not even named Sherlock Holmes (Like Daring Do is a rip off of Indiana Jones but is plausible). The only way Groucho could be plausible is by ponies knowing of EG universe, where humans exist, and they don't know about it. It's an error in matrix for me and I can swallow other errors but not this one.

But like I said before, I still like the show, even with errors I can spot.

Spike has fingers.

its not like fingers don't exist in pony ville.   as for gracho Maybe their's a pony fied version of everything in equistra

really?  someone had to tell bronies this?  Really?

Edited by FNGRpony

Spike has fingers.

its not like fingers don't exist in pony ville.   as for gracho Maybe their's a pony fied version of everything in equistra

really?  someone had to tell bronies this?  Really?

But how do they know what Groucho is? Believe me, I wasn't the only one who noticed this, and I believe it's the biggest error. If there are supposed to be no humans, what about the Groucho's Mask nose? 

Now I think that they should've included humans in the show. They would be like griffons, another sentient species, and none of these problems would matter because we would have explanetion for everything.

Instead, this is why fanfics like Conversion Bureau exist.

What about Groucho Mask?

Here's another way of thinking about it. Instead of finding incongruities and then balking at them, take the weird things as written and see if you notice patterns with them. These patterns can tell you things about the world, or if you're not willing to go that far it will tell you about the writers and artists on the creative staff if nothing else. Most of the architecture and clothing items shown in the show are taken from real-world examples, transposed to fit the terrain or pony bodies respectively. Because the artists and writers are using references. Unfortunately they don't always get the references right, but they're *trying*.

For example: Fluttershy's sewing rant from Suited For Success when Rarity pressures her to give her honest opinion. All of it uses actual fashion and tailoring terminology. A good chunk of it is used incorrectly, unfortunately, and to anyone who has spent time in a fashion-related industry would recognize it as rather insulting nonsense. However, those people can appreciate the fact that the writers tried to give the impression that Fluttershy is actually knowledgeable, instead of being one of those insufferable clients that reads too many fashion magazines without understanding what any of the terms mean. That dress has neither a Middy collar nor a shawl lapel, let alone some horrible blending of the two as Fluttershy implies... ;)

The Groucho mask is another one of those things. If you really want to try to fit it into the show, look at it holistically: Nearly all of these incongruous references to old media personalities and fictional characters come from Pinkie Pie. A character that has demonstrated forms of ESP on several occasions, including the ability to know a summary of events on the other side of a dimensional barrier (Equestria Girls), and her humanized counterpart had the same ability in reverse. The Groucho mask seems to be part of the pattern around Pinkie, in that she may be able to 'see' fuzzy versions of these alternate realities leaking into each other like old-style television channels where the rabbit ear antenna is wonky. She doesn't seem to understand what it is that she's seeing, or control this ability in any way. She just acts 'random' in an attempt to compensate.

• Brohoof 1

But how do they know what Groucho is? Believe me, I wasn't the only one who noticed this, and I believe it's the biggest error. If there are supposed to be no humans, what about the Groucho's Mask nose? 

Now I think that they should've included humans in the show. They would be like griffons, another sentient species, and none of these problems would matter because we would have explanetion for everything.

Instead, this is why fanfics like Conversion Bureau exist.

I just said there's a ponfied version of it.

you know.. kinda like indian jones.

or a certain writer, she who will not be named (LOL).

Here's another way of thinking about it. Instead of finding incongruities and then balking at them, take the weird things as written and see if you notice patterns with them. These patterns can tell you things about the world, or if you're not willing to go that far it will tell you about the writers and artists on the creative staff if nothing else. Most of the architecture and clothing items shown in the show are taken from real-world examples, transposed to fit the terrain or pony bodies respectively. Because the artists and writers are using references. Unfortunately they don't always get the references right, but they're *trying*.

For example: Fluttershy's sewing rant from Suited For Success when Rarity pressures her to give her honest opinion. All of it uses actual fashion and tailoring terminology. A good chunk of it is used incorrectly, unfortunately, and to anyone who has spent time in a fashion-related industry would recognize it as rather insulting nonsense. However, those people can appreciate the fact that the writers tried to give the impression that Fluttershy is actually knowledgeable, instead of being one of those insufferable clients that reads too many fashion magazines without understanding what any of the terms mean. That dress has neither a Middy collar nor a shawl lapel, let alone some horrible blending of the two as Fluttershy implies... ;)

The Groucho mask is another one of those things. If you really want to try to fit it into the show, look at it holistically: Nearly all of these incongruous references to old media personalities and fictional characters come from Pinkie Pie. A character that has demonstrated forms of ESP on several occasions, including the ability to know a summary of events on the other side of a dimensional barrier (Equestria Girls), and her humanized counterpart had the same ability in reverse. The Groucho mask seems to be part of the pattern around Pinkie, in that she may be able to 'see' fuzzy versions of these alternate realities leaking into each other like old-style television channels where the rabbit ear antenna is wonky. She doesn't seem to understand what it is that she's seeing, or control this ability in any way. She just acts 'random' in an attempt to compensate.

I think that you helped me to deal with it. But I think that you all deserve an explanation why I'm so nitpicking.

You see, my dream is to become a famous writer in future. I want my Science Fantasy story to be as realistic as possible. I've always seen those things, and like Twilight, I like to do everything perfectly. In my opinion, even such small references can ruin the magic of world we are creating. I don't take MLP:FIM seriously, nor I want to marry Twilight - and yet I like a carefully crafted universe. If it's so popular with older people, it means that it's very well made. A carefully made universe is like a beautiful painting. But MLP:FIM, like many other shows, has a hole in this paining. When you look from the distance, you can't see it. But when you look closely, you can see the hole.

I know that it's just a children show. But if details are such rich as moving manes when ponies walk, nose wrinkles, Celestia's mane, continuity, why can't the creators follow their own rules? If the rule was, ''No Humans'', then we can't include unexplainable things. I think that it would be easier to just say that Humans live on a different continent. That would solve most of our problems.

Well, that IS a good explanation actually. It could explain why their language is identical to us - it's just a very very big coincidence taht their universe is so similar to ours.. Though it still doesn't explain Groucho Mask, it does make some sense.

perhaps their language is noting like ours. it just gets translated so us poor humans can understand it. next you will complain when showing a movie about japan they speak English?

that and its clear that the world has glasses rarity has them from time to time, so what is so wrong with novelty glasses? also beards do exist.

I don't think this is an argument about plausibility, you just figured out some holes in the plot-line and world creation. But, the thing you have to understand is these are only errors if you are trying to make the MLP:FiM world seem as real as possible. I haven't seen any effort on the part of the producers to do anything of the sort.

These "errors" should rather be considered features of the show, things that make it interesting, or unique, as well as provide fodder for our imaginations.

perhaps their language is noting like ours. it just gets translated so us poor humans can understand it. next you will complain when showing a movie about japan they speak English?

that and its clear that the world has glasses rarity has them from time to time, so what is so wrong with novelty glasses? also beards do exist.

It is like ours, they even have the same alphabet. And the Groucho Mask has a human nose, that's the problem.

I think that you helped me to deal with it. But I think that you all deserve an explanation why I'm so nitpicking. You see, my dream is to become a famous writer in future. I want my Science Fantasy story to be as realistic as possible. I've always seen those things, and like Twilight, I like to do everything perfectly. In my opinion, even such small references can ruin the magic of world we are creating. I don't take MLP:FIM seriously, nor I want to marry Twilight - and yet I like a carefully crafted universe. If it's so popular with older people, it means that it's very well made. A carefully made universe is like a beautiful painting. But MLP:FIM, like many other shows, has a hole in this paining. When you look from the distance, you can't see it. But when you look closely, you can see the hole. I know that it's just a children show. But if details are such rich as moving manes when ponies walk, nose wrinkles, Celestia's mane, continuity, why can't the creators follow their own rules? If the rule was, ''No Humans'', then we can't include unexplainable things. I think that it would be easier to just say that Humans live on a different continent. That would solve most of our problems.

I think you will find if you try to hard to make the "prefect" SIFI world it could very well end up boring. do you really want to deal with just one star system or one generational ship? Look at star trek its far from perfect or even self consistent yet its popular then you look at 2001 a space odyssey a much more accurate movie but not as popular and in some ways kind of boring.

It is like ours, they even have the same alphabet. And the Groucho Mask has a human nose, that's the problem.

so Pinky Pie went to the real world and picked up a par! the show has real world references in it to make it more comfortable for the viewer so he or she can see things that are familiar in all the new and strange stuff.

Edited by Noodles

I think you will find if you try to hard to make the "prefect" SIFI world it could very well end up boring. do you really want to deal with just one star system or one generational ship? Look at star trek its far from perfect or even self consistent yet its popular then you look at 2001 a space odyssey a much more accurate movie but not as popular and in some ways kind of boring.

It will be very interesting world, and accurate, and plausible. Many people can appreciate good work.

Perhaps instead of trying to pick it apart for every perceived "plot hole", you do the mature thing and accept it for what it is... Then you can enjoy it. 

I can't ignore them. I enjoy the show, but I can easily detect inaccuraties.

so Pinky Pie went to the real world and picked up a par! the show has real world references in it to make it more comfortable for the viewer so he or she can see things that are familiar in all the new and strange stuff.

Not very convincing. We have to see this as a mistake, a very serious one and oemthing that writer should avoid to build a plausible world.

Not very convincing. We have to see this as a mistake, a very serious one and oemthing that writer should avoid to build a plausible world

a plausible world that outside the writers no one will give to bits about. people need something familiar so its just this strange place that's way to different.

a plausible world that outside the writers no one will give to bits about. people need something familiar so its just this strange place that's way to different.

We have familiar things: Human behavior, language, cuisine, culture...and that's enough. Daring Do as a parody of Indiana Jones is ok, because it's original, interesting concept, and plausible. But Sherlock Holmes reference was unexplained, too obvious, and plausibility ruining.

I'm writing a Science Fantasy book, like I said before, and you wouldn't believe how many things have to be explained to make the story realistic.

MLP:FIM is still a great show of this decade, I was just nitpicking. ;)

I'm writing a Science Fantasy book, like I said before, and you wouldn't believe how many things have to be explained to make the story realistic.

you could go the star wars route and just not explain stuff. after all how many people that drive a car really know how it works?

you could go the star wars route and just not explain stuff. after all how many people that drive a car really know how it works?

But I like to explain stuff, I wish I had timelines or trivia about many fictional universes, like the timeline leading up to creation of Panem, in which year the world was flooded in Waterworld (Novelization said around 2000) etc. By explaining things the reader can paint a much more rich and visible universe. Blank holes, while an amazing place for fanfics, lead to too much headcanons and guessing, and then, people get mad when creators reveal that all of them were wrong. If Groucho or Holmes would be explained in MLP:FIM all Conversion Bureau fanfics would collapse. So you have to plan your fiction carefully to not leave blank spots.

Anyway, it's time to go to bed. Remember about the things I told you today when you watch MLP:FIM next time.

''It's not the supernatural things that make shows unrealistic. It's the illogical things that make them unrealistic. You can have a good explanation for existence of unicorns, but if you don't explain how such animal evolved, then it's unrealistic. - Me

Good night, and I send you some hugs!

Edited by Cutelestia

if they would have poniefied the name sher clop holmes would you have been happier?

A little actually - a different dimension with similar names is definitely plausible and if Pinkie said, ''Let's base our investigation on Sher Clop books!'', the problem would be averted. Same with Manehattan, bu that's a lesser problem. The Groucho is the biggest mistake the creators made. It's unexplainable.

A little actually - a different dimension with similar names is definitely plausible and if Pinkie said, ''Let's base our investigation on Sher Clop books!'', the problem would be averted. Same with Manehattan, bu that's a lesser problem. The Groucho is the biggest mistake the creators made. It's unexplainable.

actually https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJI4dS-3rg-VrlN8kfSMQnw

Sherclop Pones

that's the friend ship is witch craft people.

but i get what you meant but you missed the joke.