S04:E05 - Flight to the Finish  

338 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

• 2 weeks later...

This was a really good episode for not only being a scootaloo episode and scootaloo is one my many favorite ponies but it also showed her problem with flying and where she lives even though we didn't get a lot of information about it it was still good to see how the writers tried to bring up discussions about this. Hopefully we can get more information about this.

• 3 months later...

I thought the episode was ok. I liked the song "Hearts as strong as horses". But I thought the plot was just not that fun :(

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I thought it was okay. Nothing more. I kinda feel like the Characters acted a bit out of Character here, with them just leaving each other, i mean, okay it can happen, i just found it weird.

• 4 months later...

This is a really sweet take on disability, but I don't think it goes far enough. After a while, it seems more focused on the squabbling than on the real problem, which is Scootaloo's insecurity. I don't care about the Crusaders splitting up, and I think all of that is just a distraction; it's neither particularly fun nor moving, and it doesn't contribute to the main moral in any way. It seems like filler to me in an episode which is already a touch surface level, and while I really do love this episode, that element always brings me down from embracing it as much as I want to. But the Crusaders are adorable here, the song continues to grow on me, and all the Dash stuff is perfect. 

As a side note, Diamond Tiara's bullying seems so desperate here that it's kinda obvious she's just doing it to feel better about herself. 

Score:
Entertainment: 7/10
Characters: 9/10
Themes: 9/10
Story: 7/10
Overall: 80/100

• 1 month later...

This episode is fantastic. This is the best conflict of any of the CMC episodes. Everything about this episode makes others like "Tanks for the Memories" and "Do Princess Dream of Magic Sheep?" seem even worse in comparison because this episode proves that this show can handle serious topics and tackle them really well. The only thing holding this episode back is the bit with Ms. Harshwhinney and Rainbow Dash presenting the event in the schoolhouse. It wasn't funny and it went on for too long.

Score: 9/10

• 2 weeks later...

It’s an enjoyable episode. I hope the series gives a final answer for Scootaloo. Either we see her fly or we see her realizing she never will. At this point, I think she just hasn’t learned yet. Fluttershy still had trouble at that age.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:22 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

As a side note, Diamond Tiara's bullying seems so desperate here that it's kinda obvious she's just doing it to feel better about herself. 

I agree. While I don’t agree with their behavior, taking the time to watch someone else’s work instead of working on their own was just pathetic.

Then there is Silver Spoon’s, “But how do we stop them? We already called them blank flank.” I’m probably reading too much into it, but line was just sad. It gave the impression that she’s...not very bright, like to the point that it might actually be an issue. This is, after all, someone who bullied the others for years now, and she’s got only one insult? She can’t think of anything else?

I hope we something good in both of them in the future. For a show that forgives just about everypony, two children should have a chance to be redeemed as well.

3 hours ago, Meushell said:

I agree. While I don’t agree with their behavior, taking the time to watch someone else’s work instead of working on their own was just pathetic.

Then there is Silver Spoon’s, “But how do we stop them? We already called them blank flank.” I’m probably reading too much into it, but line was just sad. It gave the impression that she’s...not very bright, like to the point that it might actually be an issue. This is, after all, someone who bullied the others for years now, and she’s got only one insult? She can’t think of anything else?

I hope we something good in both of them in the future. For a show that forgives just about everypony, two children should have a chance to be redeemed as well.

Are you still catching up with the show? There might be something for you to look forward to fairly soon. 

59 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Are you still catching up with the show? There might be something for you to look forward to fairly soon. 

I’ve seen episodes after this, but we are getting more and more into stuff I haven’t seen. As for Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, I have not seen anything involving them beyond being bullied.

2 hours ago, Meushell said:

I’ve seen episodes after this, but we are getting more and more into stuff I haven’t seen. As for Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, I have not seen anything involving them beyond being bullied.

Alright, I won't spoil anything. 

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

I loved the song, I loved Rainbow Dash coming to the rescue at the end, and I loved how they focused on Scootaloo's insecurity.

Also really pissed me off that the Diamond Tiara made fun of Scootaloo's disability, if it can be called that. I hate that Diamond Tiara/Silver Spoon never really get caught or scolded by an adult for their bullying. It's more like, their own antics catch up with them. But someone with authority never deals with them and puts them in their place, the kids just need to deal with them on their own. I can only imagine that teaches young girls to deal with things on their own, rather than get an adult's help to deal with bullying.

Edited by starrymiss

• 1 month later...

This was such a wonderful episode! Touching story combined with nice music. I usually don't like CMC's music that much, but this one really suits my taste. I also liked the theme of the play- Ponyville being a place where ponies can be friends despite their differences. Looking  forward to the Equestria games where they'll carry the flag!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a solid episode, but the pacing holds it back from being truly great. All of the big emotional moments don't give enough time to linger and to really feel the emotions. It seems like the episode is just trying to get through all of the beats as quickly as possible not leaving enough time for the emotions to sink in. The drama isn't bad and I do like how Scootaloo's flying is handled, but it doesn't hit as hard as I think it should. Less time should've been given to the unfunny professionalism running gag and more time should've been given to fleshing out the emotional moments. 

Despite that, the episode is still good. While the drama isn't as fleshed out as it could be, it is still a compelling conflict and I still end up sympathizing with Scootaloo. Also the song is really great, though the reprise feels a bit too cheesy. 

Score: 7/10

• 3 months later...
(edited)

Other then the end being a bit rushed, I would have preferred that RD would bring the CMC herself, it would have felt righter to me(and more realistic), and maybe the fight between scootaloo and AP felt a bit forced(but they are kids, and kids tend to have fights like this) everything else was great. One of the most emotional episodes and done something I never thought would happen in this show, insulting and bulling a crippled individual(and kid no less!), it was pretty dark. This episode made me scootaloos fan, that she is special and amazing even though she can't fly. 10\10, my favorite episode in season 4.   

Edited by Rushing cash

• 9 months later...

Firstly, I just wanted to say that I hated DT and SS this episode. They essentially bullied someone for a handicap. I never liked those two, but now I just... I don't even know. I hate you, Diamond Tiara.

OK, now let's get on with my review. The song they had in this episode was cute and meaningful, one of the best I have heard. I liked the joke about professionalism in this episode as well.

The storyline was brilliant. Honestly, as many others have said, Scootaloo being able to fly in the end would have ruined it. She may not be able to fly, but she's got many other talents. Also, may I just say how much I loved Rainbow Dash this episode?! I could just tell how much she cared about Scootaloo. I would have liked to see more of their sisterly bond, though. She just wanted the best from the CMCs. Her reaction to the CMCs not understanding Cutie Marks was quite funny, as well.

Ms. Harshwinny was absolutely hilarious this episode as well. She was all about Professionalism, and then at the very end, you saw her true emotions just coming out. Very funny stuff.

I would have liked to see a little bit more near the end, but it was great overall.

Final Score: 87/100

• Brohoof 3

• 8 months later...
On 2/4/2020 at 5:27 AM, dashie2020 said:

Firstly, I just wanted to say that I hated DT and SS this episode. They essentially bullied someone for a handicap. I never liked those two, but now I just... I don't even know. I hate you, Diamond Tiara.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure this was back when the higher-ups were still pushing to "late bloomer" line. In which case their insults would be slightly closer to their usual "blank flank" chant than "Ha ha, you're crippled!", but still a good deal worse than everyday teasing.

The episode's dialogue (What if I never fly?) appears to have been weaseling out of answering the question of whether Scootaloo had an actual disability, though I suppose it's possible that they were just leaving their options open at the time. Either way, that would only end up making her situation feel more tragic than if she had been established as disabled from the get-go: There were multiple instances of her yearning to fly, but there would never be any reference to anyone helping her learn to fly, or her having been to a doctor to see if there might be some treatment for whatever was keeping her from flying, or pointing her in the direction of technology (such Apple Bloom's glider from "Call of the Cutie") which would have enabled her to fly in some capacity if her own wings would never be up to the task.

Though it's probably not fair to single out this episode for what was a series of sub-par decisions, seeing as it handled its message respectably.

• 3 months later...

I have to say Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon here were really annoying, rude, and incessant to me. I really hope they learned what they did here was wrong at some point. I also liked the way Ms Harshwhinny was in this episode, I liked the episode although some of RD's moments were bit off to me. I wish at the end Ms Harshwinny scolded Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, why didn't the CMC speak up against Diamond Tiara or Silver Spoon? They need to be stronger against the bullies.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Flight to the Finish has me thinking of the plot of G5.

Diamond Tiara the villain who uses prejudice as a weapon vs an enthusiastic diverse trio. 

The Cordial Diversity Companions?

Anyway this ep is greatness. Rainbow Professionalism Dash :D 

• 1 month later...

I love this episode.

After the "Sleepless in Ponyville" episode in season three Scoots already went to my fav CMC member.  Because of being bullied myself in school I feel deeply for Scoots here. After this  episode I emotionally adopted her. I know it sounds weird.

I also really love the song in this episode. A top tier one  in my humble opinion.

I was caught unprepared by Apple Bloom's lines at the train station. Somehow I doubt she would say something like this. But it's a minor thing. Doesn't take away from this lovely episode.