NavelColt

S04:E05 - Flight to the Finish  

338 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

this episode was all kinds of interesting. that song...so great, for lack of a better expression.

I do like how they pointed out scootaloo's inability to fly without defining it as a deformity or simply lack of experience. I also like how dash didn't sugar coat the possibility of scootaloo never flying

that fake out at the end completely got me. for a second I though scootaloo got her cutie mark.

we also see scootaloo's room which is a first, I believe. it seems like she isn't an orphan or at the very least not wandering around town with no place to stay. maybe we'll get to see who's taking care of her soon enough

That was another good episode that I liked, that has a lot of things going for it. Watching Dash trying to act all professional was a funny scene at best, seeing Scootaloo's room was something I was shocked to see, I did enjoy the first song of Season 4 so far.

Shocked to see that Scootaloo didn't get her cutie mark, an enjoyable episode overall.

Apparently Scootaloo, given her lifting both Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom on her forelegs (twice) and dragging them both hundreds of miles on nothing but a wing-powered scooter, has the most freakish strength and stamina of any pony in Equestria!!!  :yay:

Not to mention the incredible balance it would take to hold them up while standing on a scooter :P

I'm going to address the Cutie Mark thing real quick, because most people here aren't aware of this.  Let's put it this way.  The season that the CMCs finally get their Cutie Marks, will be the season we see the finale of the series in.  And it makes sense when you think about it.  The overarching plot with the three is always finding their Cutie Marks.  It's the whole reason why they're called the Cutie Mark Crusaders.  It's actually the reason why they have most of their adventures.  So once they fulfill that goal, that primary goal will be met.

Nope. Twilight's story was "finished" when she became a princess... and she's the main character! I can't even begin to describe how happy I am that the show is continuing past that. When the CMC get their marks, it will just open up that many more possibilities for their character development.

Hmm, I wonder if we'll get any progress on Sweetie's magic this season as well. You know, DT and SS are more clever than I thought. If they'd teased Sweetie as well, it probably would have backfired on them because it would single out Apple Bloom as the one remaining. And being Earth ponies themselves, it would end up just saying "Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle aren't better than us", and nobody would get upset :P

But it might be pretty normal for unicorns not to get magic until discovering their talent, anyway. I got the impression Rarity didn't have control of her magic until after discovering her gem finding spell in Cutie Mark Chronicles. And Twilight was apparently considered gifted for being able to do simple magic before getting her mark.

I strangely kinda like Harshwhinny, mostly because of the extreme way they animated her facial features when she speaks. Her buzz killing nature is pretty amusing, especially coupled with RD's complete opposite personality.

As for the episode, I'm glad that scootaloo didn't fly, that would've been such a cop out and go against the moral of the story. Speaking of cop outs.... Friggin end of episode >:o I thought she was gonna get her scootering cutie mark.

Loved the CMC song, and I love that the animators have upped the art style, it really shows well.

Even though I don't mind them giving scootaloo some development, I'd really like them to focus on the other two crusaders as well. Especially sweetie bell, I feel like she doesn't get much character development at all. I did notice that she tends to be the peacemaker of the group, which is nice. It's starting to feel a bit unbalanced there.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1

And the rant begins...

I enjoyed this episode! I really did...and that's saying a lot since I usually dislike the CMC episodes...

now I feel before I get into the episode, I need to talk about season 4 thus far first...

I've liked it, but there's been a different feeling about this season as of late...

I dunno if anyone agrees with me, but doesn't S4 feel a little bit...scatterbrained?

Like as far as moods go...(Which sounds weird I know) but let me explain...

One thing I've enjoyed about the show, is how it feels very chronological...

each new episode feels like the very next day after the previous, and life feels...well...like life!

There's generally a slow progression over the season with builds peaks, etc etc. 

And the season flows...however, I really don't feel that way about this season right now...

I feel like the writers are throwing everything at us too fast, and too extreme...

It's like, we have the season 4 premiere, and we have the keys, discord, etc. etc.

And then next, we have castlemania, which I thought was a fantastic episode in the way that 

it dipped back down from the excitement of the previous episodes, and returned the ponies 

to just being themselves having crazy antics. But then...there's daring don't...it peaked the "excitement" and 

"big plot twist" type of episode way too early in my opinion...it should have come later in the series, after more down time

and less "epic" stuff in the series had happened...(That and I really disliked the episode in general...it's like they forgot who they

are or something!) And then you have this episode...which is exactly what it should have been last week...a back to earth

normal episode featuring a good and simple story, and a touching ending...PLUS WE GOT OUR FIRST S4 SONG TOO!! WHOOO

HOO!!! (even if it sounded majourly similar to "This is our big night" from EQG...seriously compare both the instrumentals...it's the

same song!) So basically, I feel as though this should have been the episode of last week, I feel it would flow better that way...

But enough chit chat...let's go onto the actual episode...

I really liked this episode, because as I said...it's simple...the premise is not needlessly complicated, the writing is solid,

and it ties up some loose ends that we all wanted to see...it was about time scootaloo's "flightlessness" was properly

addressed, and the way it was, was handled really well. There was just the right amount of sensitivity, as well as

the right amount of "pull yourself together and realize there's more important things that make you you!" So I thought that was

done great...I was also very relieved that the episode wasn't based so heavily on "Getting our cutie marks!" like all the others

(With the exception of sleepless in ponyville) were about. I feel like the CMC's are growing as characters, and in all honesty,

I'm thrilled! More power to them! Now there are a couple things I didn't like too much in the episode...One thing, I feel as if

Applebloom turned away scootaloo too quickly, and I feel as though that scene could have been done a bit better. It was just

kinda,

Scoots : "I'm not going...I'll just slow you down...I feel sad that I can't fly." 

Sweetie Belle : "But we need you! And we don't wanna leave you behind! you're our friend"

Applebloom : "Forget this lamer, we don't need her, let's just leave her behind."

And I dunno, that just feels really out of character...but the only thing that kinda makes up for it, is that there 

really are people in the world like that...who just turn people away so quickly for what seems like no reason...

Maybe there's a deep feeling inside them that's bothering them about that person, but generally we don't see that in those people.

They don't let their motives be shown...So I guess for the writing, it's excusable...because we haven't even really 

established the CMC's true characters just yet...they've been slowly coming out of "one purpose driven character plot" status

and have been finally getting some real development...and I'd like to see more of that in the future! 

Anyway, the rambling's gone on for a while now...so I'll end it here...in conclusion, 

Pretty great episode, the jokes were pretty solid, the music was pretty good, and the story was well told and meaningful.

Final rating?

7.7/10

-BV-

Really loved the song ^^

I can't explain how or why but I couldn't help but think about The Lion King for some reason. Heh.

Well, given that Scoots is a proud pegasus, it shouldn't be surprising that getting called out on her inability to fly really came like a flying brick to the face to the extent it made her blind to pretty much everything else. Had she acknowledged herself as Scootaloo instead of "a pegasus filly of a certain age", Diamond Tiara's comment wouldn't have phased her and Scoots would've likely saw through DT's thinly veiled attempt at discouragement. 

At first it seemed to me like Scoots was acting kinda dumb about it all but now that I've stopped to think this through do I understand what would have been going through her head.

The thing is, we don't know Scootaloo all that well, do we? Her insecurities haven't been as obvious as, say, Dash and since the CMC are all tightly knit as they are, they kinda come off as more mature and independent than they actually are.

Nope. Twilight's story was "finished" when she became a princess... and she's the main character! I can't even begin to describe how happy I am that the show is continuing past that. When the CMC get their marks, it will just open up that many more possibilities for their character development.

With Twilight's story arc, there is a difference and it's a big one.  Hasbro wanted to make her a Princess sooner than the production team wanted to do it, in order to push a new line of toys, so they got directly involved.  Originally, the plan was going to be for her to become a Princess in the last episode (which would have been a 2 or 3-part episode).  Since that happened sooner than was intended (as well as Twilight becoming an Alicorn, which was never supposed to happen; she was only supposed to become a Princess as a Unicorn, as stated by Lauren Faust), they had to come up with a creative way to continue the show with her as a Princess.  Based on what I've seen, I'd say they managed to work things out pretty well.

As for the CMCs, there is no such involvement by Hasbro (nor has there ever been, contrary to popular belief; they were simply given the names of some younger ponies and told to develop them the way they felt kids should be developed), so the production team was and is still free to develop them at the rate they want to.  Ergo, they can still save their Cutie Marks for the last season as per the original plan.

The only thing that would stop this is if Hasbro gets involved, and I really don't foresee that happening with the CMCs.

Edited by SBaby

From what I understand, this episode was meant to be a highlight towards folks with disabilities, and I can honestly see that what they ended up for the final cut of this episode is something that shows how us folks with disabilities (I have Asperger's syndrome) can put we are really able to do to good use, which is real important, and I applaud them for that. With all that aside, though, judging how Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon started the whole mess, all I can say is they're both officially worse than Lucy Van Pelt of the Peanuts!

the episode was pretty good (and I normally dislike cutie mark crusader episodes) and it did bring up some personal issues with one of them (the fear of not being able to fly) I like that a lot. I just hope they get their cutie marks soon. Oh, and have to say I love the aspect that they're continuing the pony games story arc.

Great episode overcoming limitations in creative ways is always a good message. I don't find fault in the story I think the pacing was good. Diamond tiara really need fall flat on her face in a big pile of mud right in front of the school then get ground for life. picking on the disabled just so you can win, that's a new low.

• Brohoof 2

I liked the episode. I thought it was pretty funny how Dashie had to attempt to stay professional, that was just...HAHA.

I never really noticed how mean Apple Bloom can be, jeez. Just leaving Scootaloo like that after she's CLEARLY upset. Wow Apple Bloom. No me gusta.

The song is catchy and I like it! Not my favorite, though, but I do like it~

Overall, pretty decent episode, to me. c:

• Brohoof 2

I'd say that this was definitely a good, solid episode.  And only one mention from the CMC about getting their cutie marks!  *posts new academy record meme: gets stabbed repeatedly*

That was a fun song too.  I'm also glad that they finally addressed that Scootaloo is different from other young pegasi.  And they addressed it well too.  It didn't really do it in a new and exciting way, but that didn't make it bad.  So yeah, an overall good episode and a fine addition to season 4.

• Brohoof 1

I liked this episode seeing as it covered Scoot's flying issues we've seen in the past. I also really like the lesson that was shown in this episode. Overall it was a pretty good episode and I think it was a pretty good CMC episode.

8/10 Sandviches

• Brohoof 1

I like the episode and I cried a bit when Scootaloo was crying and throwing her posters and scooter away, and I loved the song. And how when the CMC were marching and their shadow was of a bulky stallion, that was cool. 

But I was so mad when Scoots didn't get her cutie mark.... 

I kind of like that she can't fly though, I like her using her wings has a speed boost. 

• Brohoof 1

Finally a decent episode and a really good song.

I liked this episode and on my opinion one of the better CMC episodes. No scoots didn't get her mark but i wasn't expecting her too.

Well no disability... just too small a wing... for now.

Oh and Snowflake Is afraid of butterflys.. its now canon... that was rich...

Scootaloo wants to be cool, and also wants to be like her hero, Rainbow Dash

But that's not something she can do so easily, due to her inablity to fly

It's simply not her way, her style, her talent lies on scooter skills

Still, she wants to fly high, so she can reach the highest of all the heavens

Somebody will be waiting for her

So she has got to fly higher

But soon she realises that she has many friends who can help her out

And in return she can help them, by playing a part in the flag carrying routine

And she learns that her scooting ability is something only she can do

And together with the Cutie Mark crusaders, no one's alone!

*Ahem*, sorry about that.....

I've been looking forward to this episode, and it was a lot of fun. It was nice to see them touch upon Lauren Faust's original ideas for Scootaloo, and that was quite a tease at the end....

Most of the humour in the episode came from the dialogue exchanges between Rainbow Dash and Ms. Harshwinny, and the latter's facial expressions, although I also liked Sweetie Belle's 'I really don't like her' line. Speaking of Rainbow Dash, I loved how she was written for in this episode, a healthy mix of her usual overly energetic and brash personality combined with her more caring nature towards Scootaloo as introduced in Sleepless in Ponyville (my favourite Season 3 episode). The call-back to Scootaloo's scooter tricks with Granny Smith (complete with high five!) also raised a smile from me.

The only thing I'd say is that the song didn't feel very memorable to me, for some reason it reminded me of Equestria Girls's more mediocre pieces. I might like it better on a second listening, but it's no 'Babs Seed' or 'Perfect Stallion'. It was very nice to hear Claire Corlett singing as Sweetie Belle for the first time though :)

Also, hey this is my first post on here since the Season 4 Comic Con animatics were released. I bet nopony remembers me ;)

Edited by Bubblegum
  • Brohoof 1

"Sniffle" Can somepony get me a tissue or two? I'm still feeling a tad weepy from the episode.... :(

Anyway, with that out of the road, it's time to provide my two bits on what I consider one of the greatest CMC episodes not only in season four, but in the entire series so far.

As always, to quote from my tweet from the live reaction to the episode:

"If a picture can tell a thousand words, I think we may seen one of the best CMC episodes of the series."

What can I say? The hype, excitement and anticipation for this episode have paid off in many ways and the episode itself lived up to those expectations, especially the first musical number of the season really getting the toes tapping and the heart racing. (even if it meant trying to keep the noise down and not waking up the entire household. Blasted time zone differences!)

Scootaloo and even Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle were great in this episode, but the highlight of the episode was mainly on Scoots from start to finish and the way the writers handled the flying situation was absolutely amazing with a few scenes including for a moment where the CMC's broke apart for a brief period.

But the scene that made it for me was when Scootaloo was about to throw in the towel and give up all together. The posters being torn off the wall, her scooter being thrown in the bin and then breaking down briefly in tears was more than enough to get me weepy myself.

Although it wasn't the end many of the fans wanted to see, the window is still open for Scootaloo to fly fully if the chance arises. But overall as I mentioned in the tweet above, if a picture can tell a thousand words, I think we may seen one of the best CMC episodes of the series.

Edited by rjrgmc28
  • Brohoof 2

Yeah, this was a pretty decent episode.

The 'Hearts as Strong as Horses' song I think was probably the best song the CMC ever did, the writing is pretty solid with it's focus on addressing Scootaloo's insecurities about herself, and the message was also pretty good 'You should consider yourself special based on what you can do, not what you may or may not be able to do.'

Granted, I personally would've preferred that the episode ended with Scootaloo being able to fly (I don't know why some of you are so bizarrely fond of her staying strictly grounded), but they at least clearly lelt it ambiguous on whether or not Scootaloo will be able to fly eventually, which makes sense from a writing standpoint, if Scootaloo becomes able to fly, they'd have to make things like Sweetie Belle being able to use magic (I don't think the Everfree incident in the Season 4 premiere counts) and the CMC getting their Cutie Marks not being far behind, then they'd have officially thrown any remaining potential ideas for CMC-spotlighted episodes out the window. Okay, maybe they could still do episodes but wouldn't have anymore CMC hijinks on the show, so I think you get my point.

I thought it was an all right episode, but it was not that good. Not sure why, it was just kinda boring for me.

Scootaloo's flying problem was kinda looked at, but it felt as thou it was not explained well. And she became kinda annoying after a while. This was also a wasted chance to use that sister hood thing they formed. But, I always thought they would never bring that up again.

The one thing I did enjoy was the CMC finally got mad at each other. Also that Scootaloo can't fly.  

Edited by pinkiefan1287

What? How can anyone hate this episode? It was the best! I could hardly retain my excitement by the end of it! I really want Scootaloo to fly, but I'm glad she didn't. When RainbowDash told her that maybe someday she will, it gave me hope for the event to happen, so I no longer care if she learns how to fly at this age. The song was AMAZING! I'm definitely getting it the second it comes out on ITunes. The episode overall showed that they are a team and you never leave a partner behind. Some are frustrated with how Applebloom was acting but I don't care. By the end of the episode I was happy to see them win and was glad they had some sense knocked into them. I have true hopes for what happens for the Cutie Mark Crusaders in the future. I think this episode is in my top three Cutie Mark Crusader episodes. Possibly my first favorite.

• Brohoof 1

I am not fan of Cutie Mark Crusaders and there are rarely episodes with them that I am excited about. So this one to me was alright, just not my thing to feel psyched about :3

Weirdly my eyes almost got wet with tears in the moment Scootaloo and RD met when Scootaloo threw away some things in the basket. Yes, it seems they have yet to decide if Scoot will have wings with which she can fly or not, this episode ended in a 'to be continued' manner regarding her flying skills.

Finally watched this episode~

I think it's my absolute favorite of the season's so far. I can't type a full review now, but that song was the BEST. I also liked how quickly the CMC broke up when frustrated--very realistic to actual little girls. 

I'll chat more about it later.

• Brohoof 4