Banner by ~ Sparklefan1234

Technology Random video card crashes, can anypony help me?

Wayzer

Ok so I'm getting these random video card crashes lately. While playing a game my screen will turn mostly white or black and the whole HDMI signal just freaks out. Also the sound goes buzzing. I don't think it's heat related because my video card doesn't get above 80 degrees and my processor doesn't get above 65 too. I also recently updated drivers and bios and already run a memory test. DOES ANYPONY KNOW WHAT TO DO??/ :( :( :(

Also my pc is really new, just over a moth old so I can still send it back. But I just wanted to make sure it's nothing I can fix myself ^^

So here are my specs:

Video card: Asus2GB D5 X GTX770-DC2OC

Processor: Int Core i7-4770K

PSU: Corsair RM650

MOBO: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming

Memory: D3 8GB 1866-9   Vengeance rd

If anypony could help I'd really appreciate it!  :squee:

Try opening it and clearing out all the dust.

Sometimes the heat sensor gets covered in dust and registers a fast overheating, initiating the emergency shutdown.

Otherwise could you try having a look at your BIOS to check, at which temperature said emergency shutdown initiates. Maybe 80+ degrees is that temperature.( DONT CHANGE THIS VALUE )

Try opening it and clearing out all the dust.

Sometimes the heat sensor gets covered in dust and registers a fast overheating, initiating the emergency shutdown.

Otherwise could you try having a look at your BIOS to check, at which temperature said emergency shutdown initiates. Maybe 80+ degrees is that temperature.( DONT CHANGE THIS VALUE )

Ok I'll take a look at it thx, though I doubt there will be much dust. It's only a month old ^^

I'll post if it works or not

Edit: It wasn't the problem. I didn't really think it was a emergency shutdown anyways because it also occurred when I tried to activate shadow play once. And that was when I was at desktop so GPU shouldn't be running too hot :(

Cleaned the dust now too. But it didn't seem to help :( .

Edited by Wayzer

Whether or not it's related to your own tendencies of spilling cheeto dust all over the inside of the case, if this is a very new computer, you should be able to request support from the computer manufacturer. They may be able to take you through a few steps that might lead to the issue.

Also, something semi-obvious that should be considered is the connection; make sure the HDMI plug is in both ends okay. Personally, I think 80 degrees is kind of high for a graphics card...but maybe I'm less familiar with expected temperatures.

Whether or not it's related to your own tendencies of spilling cheeto dust all over the inside of the case, if this is a very new computer, you should be able to request support from the computer manufacturer. They may be able to take you through a few steps that might lead to the issue.

Also, something semi-obvious that should be considered is the connection; make sure the HDMI plug is in both ends okay. Personally, I think 80 degrees is kind of high for a graphics card...but maybe I'm less familiar with expected temperatures.

Well, it's only on 100% load then. I guess I'm gonna try with a DVI cable and call the manufacturer afterwards if it doesn't work. Thanks for the reply!

If you are able, remove your graphics card and plug it back in, I had some issues with mine when I first installed it and was able to fix it like that. If it's not your drivers, than I doubt the issue has to do with software, so it may be a hardware issue.

If you are able, remove your graphics card and plug it back in, I had some issues with mine when I first installed it and was able to fix it like that. If it's not your drivers, than I doubt the issue has to do with software, so it may be a hardware issue.

Yeah, if I unplug it, my warranty fails so I guess I'll just pay the company a visit. Manybe they can fix it there for me. It might just be a bad video card so they could replace it

Edited by Wayzer

Yup, so my suggestion stands - I think Ddrdrgn's suggestion was based on the assumption you had built the computer yourself. Even if the hazy screen WAS being caused by a badly seated graphics card, that's still the manufacturer's responsibility to solve. Sadly, one way or another I don't think you're going to be able to use your new computer for a while.

• Brohoof 1

Yup, so my suggestion stands - I think Ddrdrgn's suggestion was based on the assumption you had built the computer yourself. Even if the hazy screen WAS being caused by a badly seated graphics card, that's still the manufacturer's responsibility to solve. Sadly, one way or another I don't think you're going to be able to use your new computer for a while.

I guess so :(. Well thanks anyway! :D

Ok so I'm getting these random video card crashes lately. While playing a game my screen will turn mostly white or black and the whole HDMI signal just freaks out. Also the sound goes buzzing. I don't think it's heat related because my video card doesn't get above 80 degrees and my processor doesn't get above 65 too. I also recently updated drivers and bios and already run a memory test. DOES ANYPONY KNOW WHAT TO DO??/ :(

It may be those drivers you recently updated. Did you get them from the manufacturer's site or just pull them online? Even so, I'd try going back to your old drivers to see if it will work. It's possible during the update your antivirus took out a vital piece of the download.

I'd also try hooking your video to the mobo instead, to see if it is just truly your video card instead of a bad motherboard. 80 degrees is warm but it shouldn't cause these types of issues. It could also be ESD from plugging your cable in, in which case it's fried so whenever you try to stress it in a game it'll crash. If what above doesn't work I'd suggest just filling out a RMA and returning it. Best of luck.

• Brohoof 1

It may be those drivers you recently updated. Did you get them from the manufacturer's site or just pull them online? Even so, I'd try going back to your old drivers to see if it will work. It's possible during the update your antivirus took out a vital piece of the download.

I'd also try hooking your video to the mobo instead, to see if it is just truly your video card instead of a bad motherboard. 80 degrees is warm but it shouldn't cause these types of issues. It could also be ESD from plugging your cable in, in which case it's fried so whenever you try to stress it in a game it'll crash. If what above doesn't work I'd suggest just filling out a RMA and returning it. Best of luck.

That'a a good idea. I'll try to hook my monitor up to the mobo. Maybe it wasn't my video after all. I don't think there was anything wrong with the download since I was experiencing these from the very beginning and I had like 4 driver updates ever since. And I downloaded them with the Nividea Gforce Experience program so I guessed they would be good.

Still thanks for advice!

Download Driver Display Uninstaller from Guru3D.com (go to the downloads section) and uninstall ALL NVIDIA related driver items. Once you've completed this, install the latest BETA drivers (331.93) from the NVIDIA website and try again.

If it still continues after doing that, you've most likely got a bad card and may need a replacement. Sounds like you're having TDR's and I assume you've not overclocked your GPU so it should not crash on stock clocks.

Edited by Ell_EssEss*
  • Brohoof 2

Download Driver Display Uninstaller from Guru3D.com (go to the downloads section) and uninstall ALL NVIDIA related driver items. Once you've completed this, install the latest BETA drivers (331.93) from the NVIDIA website and try again.

This here^^

I was having similar issues not long ago when I replaced my card with a new one, and installed the drivers. System kept blue screening everytime I tried to reinstall too.

A total uninstall of the old drivers and reinstall fixed it up.

I apparently got a bad download from the geforce experience thingy originally.

You don't really need the special uninstaller though, should be good just doing it from the regular "programs and features" menu. But the Uninstaller can gnab things the regular method won't if your paranoid of that sorta thing.

just uninstall all Nvidia related stuff, don't bother to reboot until it is ALL removed though. Reboot, and redownload/install a fresh copy.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 2

^ It clears out every single file and registry key that relate to the drivers so you get a TRULY clean install.

Also, when installing driver updates, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check the CLEAN INSTALL box in the program. The amount of times people fuck their drivers up from updating without doing a clean install so you've got loads of nasty, old files from previous installs left over, is insane.

Updating ALL your drivers relating to your motherboard wouldn't hurt either. Make sure you actually go to the various manufacturers websites (Intel, Realtek, Atheros etc.) and check their latest driver versions against the ones on your motherboards website. Intel usually have a more up to date version.

Updating your motherboard BIOS may also help, albeit unlikely. The same goes for flashing an updated VBIOS but unless you know what you're doing, I would not recommend doing that.

• Brohoof 1

It clears out every single file and registry key that relate to the drivers so you get a TRULY clean install.

Yes, but its not always necessary. Most of the time the older stuff gets removed/reused for new content anyways. They've gotten better about the left behind stuff in the reg uninstallation methods. Usually now all thats left are things saying that "yeah you owned this card" and whatnot so windows can auto detect things.

But a clean install is always a good idea regardless I do agree.

I recall it back in win95/98 days where it'd leave a TON of driver files and such behind.. omfg... you could just fill your system with that stuff! :P

• Brohoof 1

It's like the whole thing with the C:\NVIDIA\ folder where the driver unpacks itself. It's just like... Why can you not unpack to the temp folder -_- #NVIDIASortYourShitOut

I truly ask myself this every time I install new drivers..

They separate EVERY iteration of their drivers there that you download!

WHY NVIDIA WHY?!?!!!1

• Brohoof 2

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll go try a nice clean driver install!

If it still continues after doing that, you've most likely got a bad card and may need a replacement. Sounds like you're having TDR's and I assume you've not overclocked your GPU so it should not crash on stock clocks.

You know, that might just have done it! I have had a few matches and didn't experience any crashes. I'm not sure though

• Brohoof 2

Download Unigine Heaven and run the extreme preset three or four times.

This will stress test your GPU quite heavily. If it crashes on this, it's most likely unfixed and you'll need the replacement. If you notice any artifacting like green glyphs or glitches then you'll want to include this in the RMA report.

• Brohoof 1

Download Unigine Heaven and run the extreme preset three or four times.

This will stress test your GPU quite heavily. If it crashes on this, it's most likely unfixed and you'll need the replacement. If you notice any artifacting like green glyphs or glitches then you'll want to include this in the RMA report.

I'm gonna try it! I'll hope it will work