Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

TY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTS.

pleasedontcomeback

The fact that they actually humanized the ponies.. And put them in high school..  Most likely just to make and sell dolls, nothing more, which is probably why the movie was lacking so bad.  Seemed like one big marketing type thing.

• Brohoof 1

The movie was a lot better than I thought it would be. It does have a few flaws though. The whole thing with Flash Sentry was unnecessary , but I didn't really mind it all that much because there wasn't that much focus on him. I also didn't like that they were humans at first but, than I realized they're still the same characters. (They just have 2 legs instead of 4) :P  

I'm excited for the second one, even though I still wish they would just make a movie about ponies and put it on the big screen.

• Brohoof 1

Remember when the villain had mind raped a bunch of minors in an effort to invade another universe with her kidnapped slave army, then actively tried to kill the main protagonist? Remember that great scene when she is appropriately punished?

:okiedokielokie:

Actually, its not a horrible film, just inconsistent and lacking of some of the aspects that the makes the show proper loved by the fans.

• Brohoof 1

I expected it to be worse than it was, so overall, I agree with you. I don't think it was that bad.

But on the flip side of the coin, it still wasn't that good. The high school setting really doesn't appeal to me, nor does the art style. And the entire plot was just kinda "meh."

• Brohoof 1

I don't dislike it, but the problem that people would find with it is that it detracts from the theme of the show which is about ponies who live in a world of fantasy. Those people probably wouldn't want the show to have anything to do with humans.

There was a lot of cringe humour (which I hate) and the songs were kind of meh. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't exactly good either. From the shorts I've seen Rainbow Rocks looks like it may (hopefully) be better.

• Brohoof 1

I liked it, but even I will admit that it had its flaws and could understand why it might not be everyones cup of tea. The story and setting, a bit cliched and rushed in certain places but it is written in a way that is still entertaining despite these flaws. Some people didn't like it because of the flaws I mentioned, some of them didn't like the fact that they humanized the ponies, didn't like the designs, some people didn't like Sunset Shimmer and Flash Sentry. Flash Sentry was your stereotypical cute boy for Twilight to go ga ga over, I am not denying that but he did have potential to be more but it did feel like he was there just to be there. I love Sunset Shimmer though even if her redemption scene was a load of bull, she was arguably just as powerful and maybe even more so than Twilight, a master manipulator and has the best design of any of the characters.

• Brohoof 1

Well I can't speak for everyone, but I also liked the movie.

What irks me to no end is, why Equestria Girls?! Why the connection to the magical world?! This series has done a brilliant job at not making the pony characters anthropomorphized but still seem relatably human. The world of Equestria exists independent of Earth, humans have played no part in it's history, and they don't need to.

In the past, human characters were all but required, as either audience surrogates, or as teachers to help with the lesson. Friendship is Magic never felt the need to baby it's younger viewers. It gave them characters and let them see what they wanted to see from what was shown of them. The ponies, in effect, take the place of humanity in their world, thereby making our inclusion in the grand scheme of that universe, unnecessary.

And then . . . . THIS happened!

Now humans and Earth are "the other." We hang off on the fringes of the setting, undermining it's overall integrity. How many times has the portal been opened? Have others come and gone through it? Is that how some of our mythology includes monsters from the Everfree Forest? We will never know and it makes the universe now, incomplete. Before it was it's own little bubble reality, magic exists, various sapient races build civilization, monsters from our own mythology exist. By linking that world to a version of Earth, you've poked a hole in the metaphorical bubble and left it to leak.

The worst part is, this could have been avoided. How? MAKING IT THE SPIN-OFF IT WAS INTENDED AS! If they made this new world, same characters, some magic, different environment. Fine! No problem because it's an alternate universe, you can't do that now! Especially with the creators flaunting Flash Sentry around as if just to rub it's canon status in our faces!

• Brohoof 1

Because the setting was about as anti FiM as you can get. Instead of a magical land were friendship is everything, and the every day annoyances we face are handled with hugs, magic, and friends we get grease 3 :Twlightboogalo.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Because the setting was about as anti FiM as you can get. Instead of a magical land were friendship is everything, and the every day annoyances we face are handled with hugs, magic, and friends we get grease 3 :Twlightboogalo.

Which, again, would not be as much of a bad thing on it's own. If they had just had Twilight adjusting to a new environment, going up against a bully, challenging clique expectations, only to discover magic powers within her and her new friends, that would've worked! It would be like Mean Girls meets Sailor Moon.

As it stands though, and I hate to beat this drum more, but the word for it is UNNECESSARY. It raises more questions than it answers, Twilight's arc and unsureness in her role would be addressed much better and much more succinctly in episodes to come, and (perhaps thankfully) the elements present within it are never mentioned again in a series with otherwise great internal continuity. SO WHAT WAS THE POINT?!

Oh right, TOYS!  >_>

You know, in the past, DHX have been good with working the toy tie-ins into the mythos. Making them feel organic rather than just tacked on. They really threw the baby out with the bath water on this one though.

Edited by Steel Accord

The movie was a lot better than I thought it would be. It does have a few flaws though. The whole thing with Flash Sentry was unnecessary , but I didn't really mind it all that much because there wasn't that much focus on him. I also didn't like that they were humans at first but, than I realized they're still the same characters. (They just have 2 legs instead of 4) :P  

You kinda forgot they can also use modern tools like cellphones and laptops  :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, I really liked it.  

There were a ton of plot holes holes, though.  TONS.  Like Twilight could have just said that the crown was hers in the beginning and left instead of risking losing it trying to win a competition.

At the end when Sunset threatened to smash the portal, that weapon would have gone right through that portal and Twilight should have been smart enough to know that.

And people didn't seem to like the love interest thrown in.  Which I understand, that's not what MLP is supposed to be about.  But Rarity has been given a few love interests, so it's not like it's too out of character for the show.  It was just an innocent crush anyways, it's not like they were actually getting together.

Spike becoming a dog (with everypony else (even the Diamond Dogs) becoming humans), and Sunset's plan insulting everybrony's intelligence.

Ok why does everybody always think Sunset Shimmer was going to throw the hammer into the portal? (No offense) It seemed clear to me that Sunset 1: Knew she wasn't going to have to use the hammer and 2: I think the human mane 5,and Twilight thought that Sunset Shimmer was going to destroy the solid beams holding up the horse statue which would collapse the portal and close it forever,not throw it at/throw the portal. I agree the pacing was rather awful but I liked "Equestria Girls"

The only things I actually liked was the song, and the character of Sunset Shimmer. The idea of a former student of Celestia who got too ambitious and became evil is nice, but the way she was defeated and redeemed so fast was bad. I like it better when the villain just gets his/her butt kicked. If you want to redeem a villain, do it the same way as Discord - gradually and over multiple episodes, with a few steps back, and make it a big surprise when it really does happen. That was much much better.

I didn't like the way the Mane 6 were all wearing skirts (even Applejack and Rainbow Dash? Are you bucking kidding me?), or their weird, Barbie-like proportions, or the high school setting either, especially since they are all working adults back in Equestria.

Plus, there were lots of small unrealistic things, like nobody questioning the sudden appearance of human Twilight, Twilight not going to a single class, and the fact that Sunset most likely murdered the human Sunset who must have already been there, considering every pony has a human counterpart (which means there must have been another human Twilight too...).

I don't think pony Sunset Shimmer murdered her human counterpart. I think her human counter part moved away to a different town out of anger or something the same way pony Sunset moved to the human world out of anger since there is already a human Twilight living in the city. I thought the skirts were okay except they were too short. Twilight probably wasn't shown going to a class since the writers didn't think that would be interesting on screen. As for Twilight's sudden appearance I have seen tons of Disney shows with that kind of plot hole where all the character has to do is like change the color of their shirt or where fake glasses and everybody believes that they are a different person. I guess they figure little kids don't care about logic in cartoons. Besides in my old school new kids showed up suddenly in the middle of the semesters all the time. I mean yeah it is weird that Principal Celestia wasn't concerned though. 

Edited by StitchandMLPlover

(edited)

My reaction to EG.

Lol, I'm just kiddin around.  But seriously, I just have absolutely no interest in it because I love the magical world of ponies, and I have no desire to see them as humans in a real world high school setting.  Like Maiq said, it's about as far from the setting of FIM as you can get, so zero appeal for me.

Edited by Justin_Case001
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

-Boring, cliched setting

-A bland, directionless villain

-Spike being a dog

-Flash Sentry having no personality whatsoever

-The entire idea being blatant toy marketing

-Writing could have been better

-Story elements being introduced & then dropped within minutes

-Massive plot holes throughout the entire movie

-Abysmal ending

That's off the top of my head.

Note: I'm usually not one to over-analyze MLP episodes. I liked Rainbow Falls. I liked Mare Do Well. I loved Just for Sidekicks, all episodes that are generally panned by the more critical portion of the fandom... But when a movie blatantly insults the intelligence of it's viewers as hard as Equestria Girls did, I just can't say that I consider it a good movie. Some parts were entertaining (great music, fun atmosphere in general, awesome cameos, etc.), but as a whole Equestria Girls was straight trash. The entire conflict could have been resolved several times throughout the film, but instead we're treated with bizarre, illogical story progression that just leaves me confused and wondering why they didn't just make a pony movie.

Edited by Rivendare

-High school setting cliche.

-Flash Sentry having pretty significant screentime, and having no important role in the movie whatsoever.

-Plot holes barely large to withstand your car shock absorbers.

-Focused too much on the toys, not the plot.

-Pacing is not uniform.

-Cheesiest villain ever.

Other than those, it was still an enjoyable movie. Of course, I didn't enjoy it as how I enjoyed FiM, but ah well. I'd give it a 7.8/10. Looking forward for Rainbow Rocks and Equestrian Academy, just for me to get new pony related content before Season 5 starts...

I think it's because it's turning the likable ponies that we see in the show into generic high school girls. Also,

Sunset Shimmer is a generic antagonist because the writers told you so.

(edited)

I hate it the reason's in the name. GIRLS not ponies, not mares,  but GIRLS. Literally colored Humans. It's annoying I never wanna see it. I prefer the show. At least your not expecting Twilight to grab her chest and ask what are these? http://fav.me/d65bvdy Or her to show up naked in a scene because she's not used to wearing clothes all the time. Plus human Rainbow Dash isn't awesome where the pony Rainbow Dash is. I'm probably gonna get chewed out for this but I don't care.

Edited by ANGEL

The fact that they actually humanized the ponies.. And put them in high school..  Most likely just to make and sell dolls, nothing more, which is probably why the movie was lacking so bad.  Seemed like one big marketing type thing.

He says as he watches a show made to market toy horses. 

I mindlessly enjoy everything I see, so I only noticed the flaws and plot holes once I read some angry critic's reviews. While I like ponies more, I still loved EqG

• Brohoof 1

Well, there's nothing majorly wrong with it to me. It's just boring.

The high school setting is one I've never liked, it always makes me feel very agitated. The character of Flash Sentry lacks any kind of personality or depth. Most of the songs I didn't like very much. The designs of the characters don't appeal to me that much, then again humanized ponies never do.

The only things I really liked were some of the jokes and references, and Sunset Shimmer. I actually liked the character but I thought she would have been better if this didn't take place in a school, and she wasn't redeemed so damn quickly.

I agree the highschool setting really didn't speak to me either considering I am 23 years old and have been out of that jungle for a while now but in all the highschool plot device really gets old in anything so I loved the characters and the idea but I just wish it didn't have to take place in highschool alone, maybe show the town as well idk

(edited)

He says as he watches a show made to market toy horses. 

I mindlessly enjoy everything I see, so I only noticed the flaws and plot holes once I read some angry critic's reviews. While I like ponies more, I still loved EqG

1. I am a female and 2. originally yes but G4 has more thought put into it than just marketing.

Edited by Whitey

(edited)

In regards to Equestrian Girls, I liked it.

And to any pony who doesn't like EG because of humanization, (every pony is entitled to their opinion) this meme makes me laugh.

post-27079-0-30681500-1401593150_thumb.jpg

Edited by SeraphStar
  • Brohoof 4