Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gilda the Griffon: Your Opinion on her Past and Future in MLP

Comet Tail

Do you want Gilda the Griffon to come back?  

159 users have voted

1. 1. Do you want Gilda the Griffon to come back?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Lol if I turned this into a How do you feel about blueblood most of you here will rage and rage, I guess nice guys hate it when the jerk gets all the girls.

Anyway I dont like her because while Blueblood was nobility and trixie and flim flam and iron will were doing their jobs, gilda had no excuse

edit: What the hell you guys? Four replies in a row? I was only joking

Edited by 100 beasts kaidou

I really like Gilda, mostly because for me she was the first crack in the happy, candy coloured facade of the show.

Just look at how she wails on Fluttershy the moment she shows any weakness.

Or how she completely breaks down the moment she realizes Dash is not on her side.

There is just so much pent-up aggression there; I wanna know where this comes from.

I want to know how she got that way, if she was like that when she first met Dash ect.

I personally don't think that every bad guy needs to be have a tragic past/be redeemed, but I really want more Gilda and if its only her and Dash patching things up.

• Brohoof 2

Lol if I turned this into a How do you feel about blueblood most of you here will rage and rage, I guess nice guys hate it when the jerk gets all the girls.

Anyway I dont like her because while Blueblood was nobility and trixie and flim flam and iron will were doing their jobs, gilda had no excuse

So if they're nobility they get a free pass? X.X And if anyone gets all the fillies, it's Fancypants. That dude's got mares all over him, and he's nice about it too. :P

Anyway, this isn't a Blueblood thread. This is a Gilda thread!

And I agree with @Silverwisp the Bard, I'd like to know where all that aggression comes from. My headcanon is all griffons are like that, because griffons don't raise their young, they just lay the eggs and split. :3

1. We have yet to see Blueblood get any girls

2. Nobility is no excuse for bad behavior, quite the opposite

Also we don't know how Gilda got to be who she is:

Being cool/tough can be very important growing up in certain societies. And seeing one of your friends seemingly changed and being taken away from you is a very scary thing.

Blueblood had no excuse and I am not just saying that to hate on him as though I don't like him nearly as much as you do I do like him a little. Trixie was very irresponsible by lying about doing something she knows she is not able to do, the Flim Flam brothers pretty much have a synonym for "con artists" literally in their names and though Iron Will is right about being assertive he took that a little bit too far but at least showed he had some sense of honor by keeping his word that if a customer is not satisfied they do not have to pay.

Gilda's actions are not entirely excusable either but they are at least a bit more understandable. How would you react if someone kept trying to get in your face and wouldn't take "no" for an answer? I would probably feed them their teeth.

• Brohoof 2

Actually, I really love Blueblood too because I love jerks.

But I think that all the antagonists are jerks and have no excuse for being jerks, no matter how anypony tries to justify it. It's true that they could have pasts or emotions that drive them to do these things, but it's up to them to either find a healthy way to deal with it or talk to somepony about it...

Me?

I'd prefer if they just kept being jerks because I love that! Besides, Blueblood seems to have patched up things with Rarity due to that moment during Rarity's song in "Sweet and Elite" where he cameod, so I don't see why everypony still seems to hate the guy.

I do see why there are people out there that like Glinda. But I am not one of them. I think I COULD like her if they redeemed her someone in another episode but at this point I just want to give her a swift kick in the rump and tell her to buzz off. I don't like bullies and I certainly don't like the kind that try and turn friends against their other friends.

On the other hand, "Friendship is Magic" wouldn't be the same without antagonists such as Gilda so while I don't like her, I do believe her necessary to the show.

You know, the argument that the show is going on a redemption spree is kind of an exaggeration.

Trixie wasn't redeemed. She just apologized for being an accidental dictator. Twilight may realize that Trixie is just a boaster at worst, but in most ponies' eyes, she sucks.

Discord wasn't really redeemed, so much as reformed. He still has a long way to go to make up for all that Reign of Chaos stuff from awhile back. Keep Calm and Flutter On was probably just the set up for what I assume is a ploy by the writers to make Discord as much like Q as possible.

Some villains are just naturally irredeemable, but I don't think Gilda is one of them. There's enough ambiguity in the plot to infer what you want, and I just think that Gilda would be more interesting if we knew where the bitchy-ness came from.

You don't even have to redeem her right away, just put her in another episode.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 2

You know, the argument that the show is going on a redemption spree is kind of an exaggeration.

Trixie wasn't redeemed. She just apologized for being an accidental dictator. Twilight may realize that Trixie is just a boaster at worst, but in most ponies' eyes, she sucks.

Discord wasn't really redeemed, so much as reformed. He still has a long way to go to make up for all that Reign of Chaos stuff from awhile back. Keep Calm and Flutter On was probably just the set up for what I assume is a ploy by the writers to make Discord as much like Q as possible.

Some villains are just naturally irredeemable, but I don't think Gilda is one of them. There's enough ambiguity in the plot to infer what you want, and I just think that Gilda would be more interesting if we knew where the bitchy-ness came from.

You don't even have to redeem her right away, just put her in another episode.

this

really Discord hasn't changed much, he's working with Celestia, sure, but he never was really evil. Actually, I don't think Discord cares about good or evil, he just does his own thing.

Gilda's overrated, IMO. I found myself wincing during her screentime, her character was just so exaggerated and cartoony.

Lighting Dust is Gilda done right. That was a character you truly want to see redeem herself.

@,

@@Magic Man,

@@Robthe1st,

@,

We happened to have several extremely similar threads lying about related to Gilda the Griffon, so they have been merged to make it more convenient for members to congregate and speculate, share their opinions, etc. The thread title has been edited to make the topic of the discussion more clear.

Gilda already returned in Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell. Though they treat her as though she comes often after Gilda the brush off.

Maybe she has returned, but there isn't any episodes of her.

Babs: I agree.

I love Gilda

I really do. She has that 2 dimensional character I like about most characters. I can't help but feel she so overcome with pride she refuses to apologize. 

I would love seeing her again but i wouldn't want the episode to basically be about her "redeeming" herself. We already had two of those for season 3.

Perhaps an episode where the mane 6 venture to the Land of The Griffons and there they have a little run-in with Gilda. Though i'd love to see the friendship between her and Rainbow Dash rekindled because they seemed like they were pretty tight together before The Griffon Brush Off.

I personally think Gilda deserves to be treated way better than she is. I mean really what gives them the right to judge Gilda's friendship with Rainbow Dash. Sure she was wrong to do those things such as stealing that apple and making Fluttershy cry but that's no excuse to call her a false friend. I mean we've all had bad days that's no reason to condemn her. Plus Pinky was just as much to blame.

Love and tolerate my arsenal!! This is just like what happened with Zecora!!

post-9351-0-85607800-1366079178_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

Head Canon Regarding Gilda

by CITRUS KING46, esquire.

Gilda is bullied as a junior because she's the only griffon for awhile around. Judging by those dumb bullies in Sonic Rainboom, this is not a far fetched opinion to make.

Dash and Gilda become friends through Flight School. Gilda develops current personality through years of putting up with BS.

Dash had friends to make her a better pony. Gilda doesn't care enough to make any other friends.

Her behavior in the episode was mostly her fault. Unlike Trixie, who's character arc I believe should be about taking real pride in her abilities and getting back to whatever pony she was before years of boasting made her arrogant, Gilda's (if she had one) would probably be simpler: truly feeling sorry for her actions and being less rigid about being "cool".

After seeing all your guys's awesome essays on the matter, I feel inadequate. :(

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 1

Head Canon Regarding Gilda

by CITRUS KING46, esquire.

Gilda is bullied as a junior because she's the only griffon for awhile around. Judging by those dumb bullies in Sonic Rainboom, this is not a far fetched opinion to make.

Dash and Gilda become friends through Flight School. Gilda develops current personality through years of putting up with BS.

Dash had friends to make her a better pony. Gilda doesn't care enough to make any other friends.

Her behavior in the episode was mostly her fault. Unlike Trixie, who's character arc I believe should be about taking real pride in her abilities and getting back to whatever pony she was before years of boasting made her arrogant, Gilda's (if she had one) would probably be simpler: truly feeling sorry for her actions and being less rigid about being "cool".

After seeing all your guys's awesome essays on the matter, I feel inadequate. sad.png

That's ok. As long as you learned your lesson. But in all seriousness people demonize Gilda but glorify Trixie and what she did was 10x worse even before Magic Duel; how is that fair?

post-9351-0-16517000-1366084921_thumb.png

It would indeed be interesting.... Perhaps Gildia has changed her ways and she wishes to go on adventures with the mane six?.... and perhaps she traps and tries to kill them while on this adventure....

I'm going to be one of those few that wants to see Gilda back

Frat time I saw her episode I was intrigued by her. Ya he acts like a jerk, but that begs the question as to why.

I know there are many speculations about her being misunderstood, but honestly I don't buy it a lot. I'm okay with some, but I feel she was a jerk, but the question rises why.

Also digging deeper with her relationship with RF would be great. Personally I think RD gave Gilda the boot too quick. I mean ya she was being a jerk, but this is an old friend we are taking about. I they where friends as they say then RD would have talked to her, then given her the boot if neccesary. But that's just me

Anyways yes I want to see her back

I can see good development being built and a good story to be told.

• Brohoof 1

Nah, she will always be a token bully. If she does change, it'll probably be some kind of scam.

Gilda, the forgetable token bully.

Clearly not forgettable since we're still talking about her.

*Smiles coyly*

Regardless, I'd still like her to return myself. I love bully characters, they're the best. I mean, not if they were real, but I love them in fiction.

• Brohoof 1

Nah, she will always be a token bully. If she does change, it'll probably be some kind of scam.

Gilda, the forgetable token bully.

Trixie reformed and what she did was a lot worse than what Gilda did, she lied about being able to take down an Ursa Major and didn't even think for one second that somepony might want to see if that was in fact the case. And though she wasn't herself when she wore the Alicorn Amulet she was warned that it was extremely dangerous.

• Brohoof 1

Okay, so there's a huge chunk of story that might or might not make it into my fanfic, and this subplot is all about Gilda, who might even go on to become a major character.

So I'm just kinda making an appeal here to see what everypony knows and thinks about Gilda. The deeper the better.

"She's a big meanie" is okay, but I'm more looking for deep things, like why she is the way she is. I mean, she is a jerk, but the question I wonder is why. Better yet, she's very nice to Rainbow Dash, not gentle, but nice in that when she's around Rainbow Dash, she's her perfect playmate, instead of her jerk-self.

As Gilda is one of only two Griffons we've ever seen, we don't know much about normal Griffon behavior. The same way we don't know Minotaur behavior because we've only seen one example, and that's a poor sample set. It's possible her behavior has gotten worse since Junior Speedsters, so her temper and attitude has gotten worse. Or maybe it *hasn't* changed, and stuff that RD used to put up with is not as tolerable now RD has matured.

Let's assume her behavior has gotten worse. You've already covered abuse issues. It's possible that Gilda was in Junior Speedsters because she was being brought up as a pegasis surrogate, but after JS had to go back into proper Griffon society which has scarred her.

Or, worse yet, we don't know anything about the *biology* of Griffons. It's possible that Gilda is going through the Griffon equivalent of puberty, and like many teenagers now-a-days, is emotionally unstable. More so because she isn't around other Griffons who understand what's going on.

Edited by Fhaolan

I'll say it once and I'll say it a thousand times more: "Being cool is being yourself". Gilda indeed had the wrong definition of cool, which was a deadly trap. You see, what some people think of being "cool", others do not. Some think that cursing is cool. But in reality, it is not. Some people use the wrong definition of being "cool" just so they can get attention, which most of the time, they get the bad attention. This is why Rainbow Dash fended Gilda off when she tried to make her join her side of "cool".

Some people think that being a jerk to others is considered cool and that there is a "cool group". This is often what happens in middle school/high school. There are certain groups for you to choose. As Gilda matured, she probably joined the wrong group, which completely changed her mind and morals, thus making her have a jerky atitude towards Rainbow Dash and her friends. It's kinda like some cops nowadays. They think that they have the authority to do whatever they want, even if it's beating up someone just for taping them, or skateboarding in an illegal area they didn't know was illegal. So many things can compare to Gilda's situation, but one thing is for sure: at a certain part of her life, after her time with Rainbow Dash at Jr. Speedsters Flight Camp, she got into the wrong group and was changed from the Gilda Rainbow Dash once known, to a low-down jerk who thinks she's "all that", trying to assert "her domain."

My opinion on her is one of hatred almost as boundless as possibility. Her actions towards everypony (particularly Fluttershy) harbored no sense of sympathy for me whatsoever. 

However, she does represent a big question mark for the series. What is up with griffons? We've only seen two thus far and neither were exactly paragons of politeness on their first appearance. The speculation of their being a separate nation populated with griffons is one of the most invisibly perceived but almost unquestioned pieces of fanon we have.

I've heard theories that it resembles a third world country, so Gilda's attitude reflects a much harsher and more cynical upbringing than that of Ponyville or Cloudsdale. I myself don't "strictly" pertain to that theory. This griffon nation/kingdom/federation/whatever could well and be a Hell hole for all we know, but Gilda's attitude doesn't seem to stem from growing up in such an environment. 

For "what happened between Flight camp and now," personally I think it may have had something to do with puberty. That sounds childish of me to suggest but hear me out. Rainbow got her cutie mark pretty darn early. (Technically they all did, but Rainbow seemed to be younger than Twilight or Rarity at the time.) She also made a friend in Gilda (before or shortly after the Sonic Rainboom), she got into the Junior Speedsters; for Dash, childhood was a time of triumph. Gilda may not have been so lucky. Maybe Dash was the only good thing in her life?

After the two left at an undisclosed time, Rainbow grew up and got a job as weather manager. She's even in a position of authority for most of the town! She leads one of the winter wrap up teams and spearheaded the effort to get the water to Cloudsdale. All in all, her life has been pretty good to her. Rainbow just isn't satisfied with her lot in life and wants to be a Wonderbolt. Not that "not being satisfied with your lot" is a BAD thing. Far from it! What makes ambition bad is when you undermine others on your way to your goals. (Like Lightning Dust did by endangering others.)

Gilda, on the other hoof, . . . . well we don't really know WHAT was going on in those intervening years. Judging by her obsession with keeping face, and sadistic glee she gets from petty crimes such as thievery and harassment; it doesn't sound like she's done anything rather productive. Ironically, it may actually be a lack of ambition that's turned Gilda into what she is. (There's a word for it . . . .)

As for her future, well I once saw a fan art picture of her looking like Hell after a bar fight with a bottle in her talon. I'm starting to think that might not be too far off. I don't believe she will return to the series proper anytime soon. Trixie's return was hinted at several time by the creators. We've not heard hide nor hair nor feather of Gilda since she exited stage left of Sugarcube Corner and out of Rainbow's life.

Good riddance if you ask me.