Banner by ~ Sparklefan1234

Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash being sisters is pointless (Spoilers)

pinkiefan1287

Let me start off by saying, what I found pointless for season 3 was having Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash being sisters. For me there was no reason in making them sisters, Scootaloo had a pointless reason for wanting Rainbow to be her sister, and I always thought they would never use it past that episode. And after todays episode, I still stand by that.

Now in the episode, Flight to the Finish, I was thinking they were going to have Rainbow Dash, teach Scootaloo how to fly and she would have either flown or she would accept that she is not ready to fly. But either of those happened. Scootaloo did not go to RD for advice or anything. It felt like any other episode where they were together. Now, yes Rainbow Dash was busy making sure the other acts were read to go. So she could not help her. But, you could have picked another pony to watch the kids or not have anyone watch them at all. Now some are going to say, RD went back for her with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell. But I think she would do that even if they never did that sister stuff. 

Sleepless in Ponyville did not do a good job showing Scootaloo needed a sister. Due to her limited character, we don't know if she is lonely, or if her parents are busy to be there for her. The episode just does not setup in away where it's important for her to have one. In Sister Hoof Social, Sweetie Bell is kinda set up to want a sister. It show's that she wants a sister to be there for her and want's her to be more involved with her life. Thats what I got from that episode.

So does anyone else find the sisterly relationship pointless?

Edited by pinkiefan1287
  • Brohoof 5

I don't think it's pointless, but you can say what you want. Since Scootaloo does not have any family that we know of, Rainbow Dash has to be there to protect her like a sister. Scootaloo wanted Rainbow Dash to take her under her wing, be a big sister to her, and just have someone to spend time with.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 5

Rainbow Dash took Scootaloo under her wing, and since we don't know if Scootaloo has any siblings and the other two CMC do.. it makes sense that she'd want to be like her friends and have a big sister.. which she might not have, so Rainbow Dash is a 'stand in sister' of sorts

Edited by Spartan
  • Brohoof 4

Umm actually scootaloo did kind of accept that she might not be able to fly also rainbow dash did a shiznets ton of helping scootaloo at the end when she ACTUALLY found out  that scootaloo was having a problem, and it's not that scootaloo needs to LEARN her wings need to grow!

I don't think it's pointless. I like the sisterly bond between them.

But this is an episode that people will call you "butt hurt" if you speak negatively of it. It's one of my least favorites, and people flipped tables when I said so.

I still liked the dynamic they had in the episode, though, even though I hated the episode itself. :D

• Brohoof 1

Badges

I don't see why their relationship has to be largely based on flying at all. As this episode showed, Scootaloo is important both in general and to Rainbow Dash whether she can fly or not. Just because the episode didn't give a definitive answer as to whether she'll be able to or not, doesn't invalidate that or make it any less touching. And if Sisterhooves Social is enough to show that Sweetie Belle both wants and needs an older role model in her life, I don't see why the feelings Scoots has expressed in in wanting the same are lesser somehow. We haven't seen much more of Sweetie's home life than Scootaloo's, we just know for sure that she has parents. I'm having trouble understanding why that's such a game changer. I think that the relationship will be very beneficial for both. It'll teach Dash to be more responsible and caring, and give Scootaloo someone to look up to and receive support from.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 7

This I can relate to, I was an only child, but when I enlisted in the navy, suddenly I had brothers and sisters in uniform, no matter what job we had we could share conversations, ask questions and swap stories from both our civilian lives and military service. I love this relationship between Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo, so she did not fly in "The flight to the finish", Scootaloo is still a fine filly and her friends rallied around her to encourage her to come to the crystal empire, furthermore Rainbow Dash also provided reassurance for Scootaloo, who can take comfort that she knows she has great friends, and that is the endeavour of having friends being more that just comrades but as family, a similar experience I had in the service, so I say the relationship is not pointless, it is important and compassionate for each other.   

• Brohoof 2

Badges

Your two best friends in the whole wide world, whom you hang out with, look forward to spending time with each and every day, both have older sisters who are (for the most part) excellent sisters, role-models and care-takers. You, meanwhile, have no such thing. Wouldn't you want to have that kind of relationship, too, if you didn't have it, which we're obviously to assume Scootaloo doesn't. It would then make absolute sense that she would look to Dash to be that figure, as she already idolizes her as a fellow pegasus who is confident, brave and an incredible flyer.

How is this pointless? :P Dude, there are so, so many more worthwhile things to disagree with than an innocent child's adoration towards another, and wanting them to be like a big sister they don't have.

• Brohoof 8

Badges

Nope. I disagree. Even though Rainbow Dash isn't my favourite character, I think Scoots is pretty lucky to have her role-model, who RD herself is a girl with idols herself, who has a good connection with her. It comes to show that you can have such a relationship without being real, biological sisters like Applejack and Apple Bloom or Rarity and Sweetie Belle. Sure, they have their differences, but I enjoy their bond, specifically because I don't have any sisters, and sincerely wish I did. :c

Edited by Dismajo
  • Brohoof 3

I don't think it's pointless, but you can say what you want. Since Scootaloo does not have any family that we know of, Rainbow Dash has to be there to protect her like a sister. Scootaloo wanted Rainbow Dash to take her under her wing, be a big sister to her, and just have someone to spend time with.

see

i can argue this but we'll go round and round.

if i say "if their not gonna show them she's an orphan."

than you could state they don't have time to focus on moms and dads,

and than i would counter with "than she didn't need R.D. as her big sister."

and than you would say something (i'm half awake and i can't think 3-4 moves ahead lol)

and 2-3 pages later i will have gone off topic either by distraction or frustration.

"Oat meal are you crazy!"

.....damn that's why pinkie did it.

I don't think it's pointless. I like the sisterly bond between them.

But this is an episode that people will call you "butt hurt" if you speak negatively of it. It's one of my least favorites, and people flipped tables when I said so.

I still liked the dynamic they had in the episode, though, even though I hated the episode itself. :D

I'm not sure i could even see the context of how that episode would rise butt hurt?

i thought it was good clean fun?

did i miss something?

Edited by FNGRpony

Scootaloo sees the bond as "like" a big sister

Rainbow Dash sees the bond as "taken under her wing" as teacher/role model.

Tbh, i think RD sometimes underestimates Scootaloo's admiration for her.

Scootaloo has two friends with older sisters that have given them quite a bit of love an affection and Scootaloo seems to want that same love and affection which is not pointless and is actually a fairly common emotion for someone to have. I suspect that Scootaloo is an only child and she may not be receiving as much love and affection from her parents (assuming she has parents) as she should be. Again this is purely speculation since we know nothing about any family she has but whatever her reasons Scootaloo seems to want the same kind of relationship Applebloom has with Applejack and Sweetie Belle has with Rarity. Scootaloo of course has the same reluctance to express emotions as Rainbow Dash does so this can make communicating a bit difficult but as we have seen from this episode and Sleepless in Ponyville they are slowly starting to go in the right direction. 

• Brohoof 1

And if Sisterhooves Social is enough to show that Sweetie Belle both wants and needs an older role model in her life, I don't see why the feelings Scoots has expressed in in wanting the same are lesser somehow.

I would be more willing believe that, if we knew more about Scootaloo home life or if she said, any of that in Sleepless in Ponyville. All she said was, I want someone to teach me to be awesome and cool.

from this episode and Sleepless in Ponyville they are slowly starting to go in the right direction. 

I can see how SIPV showed them having a sister relationship, but how does the new episode show that? RD would have gone back for her even if that episode did not exist. Because that the kind of pony she is. And like I said at first, why did they not use the sisterhood for that episode? Kinda of a wast.

Edited by pinkiefan1287

Yeah, the lesson of Flight to the Finish should have been that Diamond Tiara was right and Scootaloo was a nobody unless she could fly.  Instead, Dash accepts Scootaloo for who she is.  What kind of sister would do that?

annoyed_discord_by_zimvader42-d5crnfq.pn

Sarcasm aside, it's made clear in Sleepless in Ponyville that Scootaloo is envious of her friends for having big sisters.  And her crippling fear and desire to look tough shows how much she needs a big sister.  She could not have learned her lesson in either episode, if not for Rainbow Dash.

• Brohoof 5

I don't think Scootaloo has a pointless reason for wanting Dash to be her sister. Even with Scootaloo's somewhat limited backstory, it is clear that Scoots does not have an actual sister like Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle do. She doesn't have a sibling to model herself after or to go to for advice or comfort like her two best friends do, so it makes plenty of sense for Scootaloo to long for a sisterly relationship of her own. And because Scootaloo is a tomboyish filly, it's hardly unbelievable that she would find Rainbow Dash to be an admirable role model, as Dash is incredibly brave, heroic, athletic, and confident. It makes plenty of sense for a flightless young pegasus to look up to a strong figure like Rainbow Dash who can fly faster and flashier than just about any other pony. Rainbow Dash gives Scootaloo hope and aspiration so it's no wonder why she wanted Rainbow to take her under her wing and act as her older sister.

As for why she didn't run to Rainbow Dash for help, for starters she was very occupied with trying to prove to herself that she can fly. And once she couldn't, she felt like a weak link. Scootaloo strives to be more like Rainbow Dash, and not being able to fly at all would cause her to be too embarrassed to run and tell Dash about her situation, but once she finally opened up about it, Rainbow Dash was able to convince Scootaloo that flying isn't important. Sure, you could replace Rainbow Dash with another adult pony in that situation but it wouldn't have had the same level of impact because Rainbow Dash means more to Scootaloo than the other adult ponies, so she will take Rainbow's words of wisdom to heart more than if for instance, Applejack or Twilight had tried to comfort Scootaloo.

• Brohoof 4

I don't think Scootaloo has a pointless reason for wanting Dash to be her sister. Even with Scootaloo's somewhat limited backstory, it is clear that Scoots does not have an actual sister like Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle do. She doesn't have a sibling to model herself after or to go to for advice or comfort like her two best friends do, so it makes plenty of sense for Scootaloo to long for a sisterly relationship of her own. And because Scootaloo is a tomboyish filly, it's hardly unbelievable that she would find Rainbow Dash to be an admirable role model, as Dash is incredibly brave, heroic, athletic, and confident. It makes plenty of sense for a flightless young pegasus to look up to a strong figure like Rainbow Dash who can fly faster and flashier than just about any other pony. Rainbow Dash gives Scootaloo hope and aspiration so it's no wonder why she wanted Rainbow to take her under her wing and act as her older sister.  

I'm still having a hard time believing that the one thing that Scootaloo wants is a sister, like her friends. She has never shown signs of loneliness and the idea never came her until Apple Bloom, said it to her. She would have still been happy without that.

As for why she didn't run to Rainbow Dash for help, for starters she was very occupied with trying to prove to herself that she can fly. And once she couldn't, she felt like a weak link. Scootaloo strives to be more like Rainbow Dash, and not being able to fly at all would cause her to be too embarrassed to run and tell Dash about her situation, but once she finally opened up about it, Rainbow Dash was able to convince Scootaloo that flying isn't important. Sure, you could replace Rainbow Dash with another adult pony in that situation but it wouldn't have had the same level of impact because Rainbow Dash means more to Scootaloo than the other adult ponies, so she will take Rainbow's words of wisdom to heart more than if for instance, Applejack or Twilight had tried to comfort Scootaloo.

You do bring up a good point. If RD was not there and did not know what was going on I guesses the same thing would happen. But I still feel she could have taken time to help her or she could have been training the 3 personnel and the other groups could of had someone else watching them. 

see

i can argue this but we'll go round and round.

if i say "if their not gonna show them she's an orphan."

than you could state they don't have time to focus on moms and dads,

and than i would counter with "than she didn't need R.D. as her big sister."

and than you would say something (i'm half awake and i can't think 3-4 moves ahead lol)

and 2-3 pages later i will have gone off topic either by distraction or frustration.

"Oat meal are you crazy!"

.....damn that's why pinkie did it.

Scootaloo needed RD to be her big sister, because she wanted to have a sister just like Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom. Someone to look up to, and have a role model to guide her.

Scootaloo needed RD to be her big sister, because she wanted to have a sister just like Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom. Someone to look up to, and have a role model to guide her.

that point kinda makes it even more awkerd that apple jack and rarity weren't there in episode 5.

Do you think the writing staff was making a point because those two are real sisters they take it for granted?

that point kinda makes it even more awkerd that apple jack and rarity weren't there in episode 5.

Do you think the writing staff was making a point because those two are real sisters they take it for granted?

They don't take it for granted. They just didn't include the rest of the Mane 6 in Flight to the Finish, nothing wrong there.

I'm having a difficult time gleaning any sense of pointlessness you're trying to make about the relationship between Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo. But I do, however, have a bit to share that does, and I hope sheds some sense onto those who just don't get the idea of having a sibling. 

I have an older brother. He is far from pointless. 

I'm having a difficult time gleaning any sense of pointlessness you're trying to make about the relationship between Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo. But I do, however, have a bit to share that does, and I hope sheds some sense onto those who just don't get the idea of having a sibling. 

Well I think I would be more fine with the 2 being the sister thing, if we knew a little more about Scootaloo. So far after 2 episode, the only thing we have learned about her is that she does have parents or lives in a home with someone. But I never seen her in the show having signs of loneliness, over worked parents, or anything to show this. I'm more willing to go on to say that them becoming sister was to soon.   

Edited by pinkiefan1287

They don't take it for granted. They just didn't include the rest of the Mane 6 in Flight to the Finish, nothing wrong there.

well that's fine,

because flutter shy, twilight, and pinkie pie didn't have a vested interest exactly.

well that's fine,

because flutter shy, twilight, and pinkie pie didn't have a vested interest exactly.

I'm glad you see it that way. All of the Mane 6 don't have to be included in every episode, especially in the CMC episodes.