Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv The Madoka Magica Thread

duidamasterXD

img-2118634-1-yxXMKY8.jpg

After seeing a lot of growing interest in this series from people I've passive aggressively pestered into watching it around here, it seemed odd that we've never had a thread for discussing the series. This will do nicely, though :). We can talk about favorite episodes, characters, the movie, anything you like :).

Since it's a spoiler heavy series, I'd be careful looking through here unless you've gone a decent ways through the anime. People who've finished it might be advised to put anything major in spoilers, especially for the movie since I know plenty of fans haven't seen it yet.

Anyhow, after sterling recommendations from people like Kagami and Twiliscael I finally got into this show last October. I was immediately hooked, if extremely confused, and marathoned all of the episodes over the span of a weekend. The music, characters, animation, all were on an entirely different level than most anything I'd seen before and now it's quite possibly my favorite thing that I've seen :) My favorite episode is the tenth one, and my favorite characters kind of bounce around a lot, but currently go:

1: Sayaka

2: Kyoko

3: Madoka/Homura

(really confused about how I feel about the latter after seeing the movie)

4: Mami

I like all of them though :). Anyway, have at it, other Madoka fans :D

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 11

PMMM is my favorite anime series :D I ended up checking it out due to its popularity on the forums and I really liked it. Great characters, intriguing story, what's not to like? My favorite character is Kyoko, but lately I've been liking Homura a lot as well. The show has a lot of nice fanart out there too ^.^

• Brohoof 4

I have no regrets when I first started watching the show, it is definitely a gem with great characters and a story that catches your interest to not know what to expect. My favorite character so far is Sayaka, some time down the road I'll start to like Homura, Madoka, Kyoko, and Mami. I do recommend checking the show out. :)

• Brohoof 6

I don't understand having a favourite character with this show as I guess I was completely fixated on all the little things in the background which added to the story. I loved the detail in that sense.

My favourite scene is the end of episode 7. When Sayaka cracks it and stabs the witch like crazy.

Overall, I was a tiny bit disappointed with the final episode as I'd have preferred a dark conclusion. But I guess it was still ok, wasn't at such a great standard as the rest of the show (except the boring first episode).

The intro song was pretty bad imo as well P: although every single outro was great (even when the intro song when was played at the end as it made lotsa sense).

That's all I've actually got against the show, absolutely love everything else.

(That cat incubator thingy what's-its-name isn't evil)

Apart from the amazing attention to detail in storytelling, the other aspect I thoroughly enjoyed was that I felt I could really relate to the characters despite them being completely different from myself. I could understand their grief and tribulations as well as their way of thinking and decision making. Some truly amazing characterisation.

Edited by Fubz
  • Brohoof 3

My personal favorite episode is episode 10. I still need to see Rebellion though.

My Favorite Characters in order would probably be something like this:

1. Mami Tomoe (I didn't really care for her until I read the "Different Story" manga.)
  2. Sayaka Miki (Again, my interest of her seemingly came out of nowhere, I just adore how she changes throughout the story.)
  3. Homura Akemi/Kyouko Sakura (These two are tied since I enjoy both of them, equally.)
  4. Madoka Kaname (She's cute but she has an annoying voice which gets frustrating to listen to after a while.)
  • Brohoof 5

GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE AND KICK REASON TO CURB! WHETHER IT'S IMPOSSIBLE OR LAUGHABLE, THIS IS THE PATH THAT ALL GREAT WOMEN WALK!

IF THERE'S A WALL IN OUR WAY WE'LL SMASH IT DOWN! IF THERE'S NO PATH WE'LL CARVE IT WITH THESE HANDS!

THE MAGMA OF OUR SOULS BURNS WITH A MIGHTY FLAME!

EVERLASTING COMBINATION PUELLA MAGI!

JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF! NOT IN THE ME WHO BELIEVES IN YOU, NOT IN THE YOU WHO BELIEVES IN ME - BELIEVE IN THE YOU WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF!

TENGEN TOPPA PUELLA MAGI

ISN'T YOUR WISH THE ONE THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS, THE EARTH, AND THROUGH TO TOMORROW?!

9ytE7zp.jpg

• Brohoof 5

Where have you been all my life, thread?

This show is amazing, and among my all time favorite animes, and shows in general. My favorite episode would be the tenth one, and I've yet to see Rebellion.

My ranking of the characters would be:

1. Homura Akemi (She became my favorite mainly due to Episode 10, but she's a great character in general.)

2. Madoka Kaname (I really like her personality, and she's pretty adorable.)

3. Sayaka Miki (She actually was my favorite when I first started watching the show.)

4. Mami Tomoe (While she doesn't get too much screentime in the show due to an unfortunate event; she has a nice personality and amazing design.)

5. Kyoko Sakura (I don't really tend to like this kind of personality in a character, but she slowly improved as the show went on. She also has an awesome design.)

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 5

from people I've passive aggressively pestered into watching it

Oh, really now? Do tell. ;)

Anyway, I was introduced to Puella Magic Madoka Magica by DashForever who noticed my magic girl Applejack avatar a couple months ago. I knew beforehand that the picture was based on this series but I had not yet watched any episodes, and so once DF got wind of that he urged me to give it a try and I did, so thanks again for that one. :P Besides, I kept seeing the different PMMM characters pop up all over the board and thus my curiosity grew to the point where I just had to give it a shot. Two episodes in and I was loving it very thoroughly, and I'm not usually a huge anime fan. I'm in the midst of reading The Different Story manga with Mami and Kyoko and I really ought to rewatch the episodes as soon as possible to refresh my memory, but I have seen the movie and it was one of the most twisted things I've ever seen. Highly recommend it though. :)

My favorite characters seem to switch around a bit, but my order goes something like this:

1. Mami Tomoe

2. Sayaka Miki

3. Kyoko Sakura (I'm torn between her and Sayaka though. It's a toss-up).

4. Madoka Kaname

5. Homura Akemi

PMMM is an outstanding show and I do hope there's a season 2 in the works.

• Brohoof 6

This series confuses me so and left my head spinning more than once.  :derp:

What got me hooked was no matter how bad things got, they would continue to get worse as the series went on.  It made me keep watching to see how...and if...the day would ultimately be saved.  I expected a twist at the end where the outcome would be based on Madoka's wish.  Perhaps she'd wish that magical girls could no longer become witches.  But she went much further than that and rewrote reality itself.  :blink:

My favorite running gag was Kyoko's constant eating.  And I greatly admire Homura for the same reason I love Fluttershy:  You'd never expect somebody who looks so frail and timid at first to have such a tremendous fighting spirit.  :) 

Special thanks to DashForever for coercing me into watching this in the first place.  :P

• Brohoof 5

I watched a few episodes but lost interest about half way into the series. Personally it wasn't really as great as everyone said it was (maybe I just expected too much from it) but it pretty much left me uninterested. It's not that I don't like it, it seemed all right, just not worth watching the rest of the series. Who knows maybe this thread will push me into finishing it. 

My personal favorite episode is episode 10. I still need to see Rebellion though.

My Favorite Characters in order would probably be something like this:

1. Mami Tomoe (I didn't really care for her until I read the "Different Story" manga.)
  2. Sayaka Miki (Again, my interest of her seemingly came out of nowhere, I just adore how she changes throughout the story.)
  3. Homura Akemi/Kyouko Sakura (These two are tied since I enjoy both of them, equally.)
  4. Madoka Kaname (She's cute but she has an annoying voice which gets frustrating to listen to after a while.)

Imagine episode ten. Now imagine it being grabbed forcefully, thrown to the ground, body-slammed with the force of a thousand suns, and then stomped on its head repeatedly.

That is what Rebellion feels like.

• Brohoof 6

I love Madoka Magica! 

I remember first finding the series due to this old ken ashcorp video.

SPOILERS

DAYUM

That was incredibly accurate.

• Brohoof 2

I haven't watched it yet, because I'm a couple centuries behind when it comes to the animus. But I see Madoka stuff everywhere, so there must be something cool about it.

I will get around to it soon though, after which I'll flood this thread with terrible, terrible posts.

Where have you been all my life, thread?

This show is amazing, and among my all time favorite animes, and shows in general. My favorite episode would be the tenth one, and I've yet to see Rebellion.

My ranking of the characters would be:

1. Homura Akemi (She became my favorite mainly due to Episode 10, but she's a great character in general.)

2. Madoka Kaname (I really like her personality, and she's pretty adorable.

3. Sayaka Miki (She actually was my favorite when I first started watching the show.)

4. Mami Tomoe (While she doesn't get too much screentime in the show due to an unfortunate event; she has a nice personality and amazing design.)

5. Kyoko Sakura (I don't really tend to like this kind of personality in a character, but she slowly improved as the show went on. She also has an awesome design.)

Poor Mami I found her cool. :(

Poor Mami I found her cool. :(

I like Mami; she just didn't have enough screentime for me to have her up higher on my ranking. She's definitely not a bad character. I would probably like her a bit more if I read some of the manga, but I never got the chance to.

I like Mami; she just didn't have enough screentime for me to have her up higher on my ranking. She's definitely not a bad character. I would probably like her a bit more if I read some of the manga, but I never got the chance to.

Here it is if you want it. It's not too long, and gives some great backstories from Mami and Kyoko :). It messed around with my emotions quite a bit, but was excellent. Much like the show, in that regard :catface:

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 4

Here it is if you want it. It's not too long, and gives some great backstories from Mami and Kyoko :). It messed around with me emotions quite a bit, but was excellent. Much like the show, in that regard :catface:

Yeah, Blue Moon, TDS does a great job delving into Mami's character but IMO it should have explored the depths of MamiKyo further but given the circumstances, it's passable. This particular manga was fantastic from start to finish. So good that you can come in without any knowledge of PMMM and still enjoy it.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, Blue Moon, TDS does a great job delving into Mami's character but IMO it should have explored the depths of MamiKyo further but given the circumstances, it's passable. This particular manga was fantastic from start to finish. So good that you can come in without any knowledge of PMMM and still enjoy it.

Here it is if you want it. It's not too long, and gives some great backstories from Mami and Kyoko :). It messed around with my emotions quite a bit, but was excellent. Much like the show, in that regard :catface:

I'll probably end up reading it sometime today. Thanks for the link, DashForever! :) Kyoko and Mami were the characters I felt didn't get enough focus in the show, and that's pretty much why I ranked them so low, so this might change my opinions on them. Plus, even if it doesn't; you say it's a good read anyway, so I'll probably enjoy it anyway.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 2

I'll probably end up reading it sometime today. Thanks for the link, DashForever! :) Kyoko and Mami were the characters I felt didn't get enough focus in the show, and that's pretty much why I ranked them so low, so this might change my opinions on them. Plus, even if it doesn't; you say it's a good read anyway, so I'll probably enjoy it anyway.

You will enjoy it, trust me,

• Brohoof 1

I like this cute series. I am seeing the third movie on December 27, 2013 and have seen three English episodes of the series and know the plot. My favorite magical girl is Nagisa because

she's Charlotte, and I've always wondered who she really was. I saw a few spoilers from Rebellion like that one and even listened to the "Cake Song":

Kēki, kēki, ma~a ru-i kē-ki 

Ma~a ru-i kēki wa-da ~are? 

Mo-yo mo-yo gu-e-be? (Kēki wa Sayaka?)

Chi-ga-u 

Watashi wa ra-zu-be-rī 
Ma~a rui kēki wa a-ka-i 
Kēki wa Kyouko? 

Chi-ga-u 
Atashi wa ri-n-go 
Ma~a rui kēki wa bebe ga su-ki 
Kēki wa Mami? 

Chi-ga-u 
Watashi wa chī-zu 
Ma~a rui kēki wa ko-ro-ga-ru 
Kēki wa Akemi-san? 

Chiga…… imasu 
Watashi wa ka-bo-cha 
Ma~a rui kēki wa a-ma-i de-su 
Kēki wa Madoka? 

Chi-ga-u 
Watashi wa me-ron 
Meron ga waretara a-ma-i yu-me

Kon'ya no o yume wa nigai yume 
O sara no ue ni wa neko no yume 
Ma-ru-ma-ru futotte meshiagare-! 

What a cute song!

• Brohoof 2

One of the things that really stands out about the series and the movie is the incredible music. I just found this remix of the theme playing when

they fight Sayaka's witch form

and thought I'd share it here :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRAWVMj6ZoA

Here's some more awesome music from the movie :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iEWI2ZpfNc

• Brohoof 1

How did I not respond to this thread earlier..?

Anywho, you all pretty much said everything I had to say... I liked how they made Sayaka a much more prominent character who really had a purpose in Rebellion, rather than honestly just sort of being there in the main series. Also we got more Mami and Mami is gorgeous.

~

Being the analytical bastard that I am, I found it quite interesting how the main thematic point in the anime is completely reversed in the movie and still makes perfect sense and can show us all something about people and human nature. The show was about love, and just how far it can go to change things. The movie is about how far is too far, and whether or not the change is worth it in the end.

Imagine episode ten. Now imagine it being grabbed forcefully, thrown to the ground, body-slammed with the force of a thousand suns, and then stomped on its head repeatedly.

That is what Rebellion feels like.

This is the most true thing I've ever read on the internet.

• Brohoof 4

Anyone see the movies yet? How are they, are they as good as the series?

Personally I think this is one of the best anime of the last few years that I've seen. The story seems to turn deeper and darker with every episode starting with the third one, I love all the characters especially Homura, and the visual style of the show is fantastic. Yes it typically looks very generic, but I think that's necessary for this show. Then you get to the witch scenes, and holy crap are those a trip .

• Brohoof 1

Anyone see the movies yet? How are they, are they as good as the series?

The first two movies apparently just cover the plot of the show, with improved animation or something. I might take a look at them someday, but I don't feel a pressing need to.

The third one, Rebellion, continues after the end of the series and largely focuses on Homura. I thought it was fantastic, but it's also very confusing, and it will make your brain feel like it was thrown in a cement mixer or something. It's worth a watch though, when you have the chance. The whole thing has been extremely divisive and controversial, but I really liked it overall. And hey, it's a chance to see more of the girls being amazing.

• Brohoof 4