Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv The Madoka Magica Thread

duidamasterXD

Anyone see the movies yet? How are they, are they as good as the series?

Personally I think this is one of the best anime of the last few years that I've seen. The story seems to turn deeper and darker with every episode starting with the third one, I love all the characters especially Homura, and the visual style of the show is fantastic. Yes it typically looks very generic, but I think that's necessary for this show. Then you get to the witch scenes, and holy crap are those a trip .

The first two movies are recaps of the television series, although the trilogy (so far) is unconnected with actual TV series. Think of Rebuild of Evangelion.

Rebellion is the filthiest movie I've seen so far, not included live-actions. For twelve dollars at an actual screening, it was worth every single penny. Witnessing spoilers beforehand did not change my opinion of it. It is fantastic so when it comes out on Blu-Ray, get it.

• Brohoof 2

While listening to some particularly rebellious music, I started thinking of the Rebellion movie and I had this idea about what might happen next if they continue the series, and I thought it was really cool, and that I may as well post it here.

Movie spoilers and stuff

So after the movie, it seems like Madoka still has some connections to her god self, or whatever. But it also seems that she might not even be a magical girl, which would make sense, since if Homura remade the world in her own image and to keep Madoka safe and happy, of course she wouldn't make Madoka a magical girl in that world. But, so far as we know Sayaka, Mami, Kyoko and Nagisa/Charlotte still are. While the fact that Homura is messing with their memories is a problem, I think that they'll get them back and eventually try to overthrow Homura and get Madoka back in her proper place. How to do that though, if Madoka doesn't have any power anymore? I think they'll team up with Kyubey, who's been undeniably screwed over by everything that's happened. So it'll kind of go back to the original series in a sense, with Homura fighting to keep Madoka from making a contract with Kyubey, but this time it's not Kyubey trying to take advantage of her or anything. It's a true compromise, and after getting totally bucked over by Homura, Kyubey has a dang good incentive not to try to bite off more than he can chew anymore. I think in the end, Madoka would make another contract, get her power back, and lead the magical girls against Homura and her familiars. I just hope things end well for Homura somehow :(

Just my best guess as to what might happen, and I think that might be really cool. There are plenty of holes in it, but eh. Just a thought :P

• Brohoof 3

Ah, Madoka Magica.  It was the second anime I watched and it was absolutely excellent.  Everything about it was great.  The psychedelic art style, the characterization, the interactions between characters, everything.  I honestly consider it to be the epitome of excellence for horror/psychological anime, rivaling Neon Genesis Evangelion and Elfen Lied for my favorite in the genre.    

Rebellion was absolutely fantastic too.  I went and saw it in theatres a little while back.  It was even better than the TV series and the first two movies.   Just great all around.   

Edited by ~Asuka <3~
  • Brohoof 1

basically ground me into a corner and forced Madoka Magica down my throat, but it tasted kinda sour. 

I watched all the episodes yesterday and the movie Rebellion today, and I gotta say... I won't be able to sleep for a week. Anyway... it's really dark and depressing, for the lack of better words, and for those of you who want to watch it... it's not as cute as it looks. The witches' labyrinths creep me out, and they're mostly just patchwork tents with everyday life stuff.

As you can probably tell from my avatar, I like Homura the best, even after watching Rebellion. I feel she's more of a tragic character and more crap happened to her than Sayaka. I dunno, maybe it's the 

hints about her love for Madoka and the fact that she went so far for her, while Kyosuke was really just a guy pasted there so Sayaka could have someone to love. Homura turned into a half-witch and then a fucking demon just to control Madoka, which was an uber selfish act, but acted out of love. I dunno, it just felt really noble to me. According to Gen Urobuchi, Homura lived the month of going to the school (forgot to name) nearly a hundred times. I don't care if it's lesbo, that's a lot to go through for someone you love.

My list:

1.) Homura

2.) Madoka

3.) Kyoko

4.) Mami, Sayaka, Nagisa

Edited by Clarity-chan
  • Brohoof 6

Whoo hoo! It's hard for me to make a list right now because The Rebellion Story kind of flipped me over. Before it was:

1) Homura

2) Mami

3) Kyoko

4) Sayaka

5) Madoka

I don't count Nagisa, but I do love Charlotte!

• Brohoof 3

Well, I got around to watching "The Rebellion Story" recently, and I really enjoyed it. Definitely a movie you have to see twice to catch everything. I think the best way to describe it was said best by :

Imagine episode ten. Now imagine it being grabbed forcefully, thrown to the ground, body-slammed with the force of a thousand suns, and then stomped on its head repeatedly.   That is what Rebellion feels like.

My only problem The Rebellion Story is that is messed up my ranking of the characters. :P I have no idea who I look most now, or anything really. The movie made me like a few of the characters a bit more than I did before, but it also did some odd things with the characters I like a bit more than the rest, and I'm not sure if those things changed my opinion on said characters.

I guess I can say my least favorite Magical Girl would be Nagisa Momoe though. Nothing against her, but like the other characters I didn't like as much; it mostly comes down to lack of focus.

But in the end, this was a fantastic movie, and I highly recommend watching it if you ever get the chance.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 1

I'm watching The Rebellion Story a second time, and is it me or does Mami seem like the leader of the Puella Magi Holy Quintet in the beginning? She's always been the big sister figure of the group, no?

Edited by Dismajo
  • Brohoof 2

I'm watching The Rebellion Story a second time, and is it me or does Mami seem like the leader of the Puella Magi Holy Quintet in the beginning? She's always been the big sister figure of the group, no?

Yep, and it only makes sense for her to be, really. Kyoko's too immature, Madoka's well, not herself, and Homura isn't either. Interestingly though, as the movie went on it seemed like Sayaka was stepping more and more into that role. I expect her to have a massive role in any future movies/seasons.

• Brohoof 3

This just might be my new favourite thread on the entire forums because Madoka is such an awesome anime. I'm thinking: if you guys were to become magical boys/girls, without any knowledge of the consequences, what would you wish for? Mine would be a rather, selfish wish.

• Brohoof 3

This just might be my new favourite thread on the entire forums because Madoka is such an awesome anime. I'm thinking: if you guys were to become magical boys/girls, without any knowledge of the consequences, what would you wish for? Mine would be a rather, selfish wish.

Fuck man, that's deep.  It'd have to be something that I wouldn't regret.   I'd probably wish for safety for my family, to be honest.  I do love them, and I don't want anything bad to happen to them, even though something bad will happen to me.  

• Brohoof 2

I'm thinking: if you guys were to become magical boys/girls, without any knowledge of the consequences, what would you wish for? Mine would be a rather, selfish wish.

I already told you it over on Skype, I think. My wish is to have friends, as in people who actually care for my well-being. Someone to watch my back and be inseparable with. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Do all of you have a favorite scene, or episode or anything? A scene is hard for me to decide on, but my favorite might be

When Sayaka completely loses it when fighting Elsa Maria (the witch where everything in her labyrinth is all black and whitish), just because the music was beautiful and for a split second you really thought everything was going to be ok, and that Kyoko was going to take care of everything. It's a very messed up scene and I love it, even if I feel awful for Sayaka and how she's lost all desire to take care of herself, and even live really :(.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 3

Do all of you have a favorite scene, or episode or anything?

Episode 10, 11, 12, for obvious reasons. Homura is awesome. Her courage in standing up to Walpurgis Night and the reason she did it... pretty deep. And when she finally lost hope and cried with despair... it put a damper on my good mood that day, was heartbreaking. 

(I haven't cried at all during the anime, though, but I usually don't cry at the truly sad things.)

"I'll do it over, no matter how many times it takes. I'll re-live it over and over again. I will find a way out. The one path that will save you from this destiny of despair. Madoka, my one and my only friend. I don't care because if it's for you, I'll stay trapped in this endless maze... forever." –Akemi Homura

This thread is so unpopular. :(

I have a question of my own. Which of the Puella Magis' powers would you want to have? (Other than Godoka, but you can say regular Madoka from the previous timelines.)

For me, I really like Mami's ribbony ribbons; it's rather like Applejack's psychic lasso but stretchy and infinitive. Homura's time-stopping power is amazing as well. The others use normal weapons, which is nice, but doesn't fit with the "Magical Girl" theme.

• Brohoof 2

I have a question of my own. Which of the Puella Magis' powers would you want to have? (Other than Godoka, but you can say regular Madoka from the previous timelines.)

For me, I really like Mami's ribbony ribbons; it's rather like Applejack's psychic lasso but stretchy and infinitive. Homura's time-stopping power is amazing as well. The others use normal weapons, which is nice, but doesn't fit with the "Magical Girl" theme.

I'd love to have Homura's time stopping power, and I'm glad you mentioned it.  Honestly, that'd be so useful in combat (if I was a magical girl) and in everyday life.   I also like how Homura can go back in time.   I'd love to be able to do that.    

In the Different Story manga about Mami and Kyoko, Kyoko's magical girl powers had something to do with creating illusions, but she lost the ability to use them after her dad went nuts and killed her family. That'd be pretty cool, if that counts.

I also like how Homura can go back in time. I'd love to be able to do that.

All those strings of fate attached to trying to create the perfect sandwich.

And also cheating in games of snap.

I've noticed that each of the Puella Magi Quintet embodies a quality of good and one of bad.

Madoka: Hope / Helplessness

Homura: Love / Greed

Sayaka: Justice / Regret

Kyoko: Compassion / Selfishness

Mami: Selflessness / Loneliness

Typically, each of these are the qualities that give the magical girls hope and despair respectively. What do you guys think?

• Brohoof 3

I've noticed that each of the Puella Magi Quintet embodies a quality of good and one of bad.

Typically, each of these are the qualities that give the magical girls hope and despair respectively. What do you guys think?

Yep, though I think it's interesting how their virtues interact with their weaknesses. Kyoko's compassion is a good thing, of course, but it's also what ended up causing her pain. Her selfishness was what she used to not despair, but it wasn't a cure so much as a bandage. Her interactions with Sayaka inspired her to become more idealistic and compassionate like she used to be, but this also lead to her death. But this is portrayed as a good thing :derp:

I'm kind of curious how it'd have gone if the first Magical Girl they'd met was more like Kyoko. Mami seems to be a very uncommon kind of magical girl, from what we've seen, and a big part of Sayaka's downfall was trying to be a perfect, selfless hero, trying to be Mami essentially, but not having the skill to back it up. Part of me wonders what Sayaka and Madoka would have done differently if they hadn't had such a good role model.

• Brohoof 2

Nagisa: Carefree/Naive (?) I mean, she is obviously the Sweets Witch, so gluttony? I don't know.

• Brohoof 2

Nagisa: Carefree/Naive (?) I mean, she is obviously the Sweets Witch, so gluttony? I don't know.

That seems to work pretty well, even though she's gotten next to no screentime. She seems to have a good heart, but didn't think her wish through very well at all from what additional things have talked about.

Which witches do you all like, by the way?

I like Gretchen, Oktavia and Elsa Maria. Oktavia because well, Sayaka's awesome, Gretchen because I like how it twists Madoka's wanting to protect the world into wanting to absorb it, and Elsa Maria just because the scene with Sayaka fighting her was incredible.

• Brohoof 1

That seems to work pretty well, even though she's gotten next to no screentime. She seems to have a good heart, but didn't think her wish through very well at all from what additional things have talked about.

Which witches do you all like, by the way?

I like Gretchen, Oktavia and Elsa Maria. Oktavia because well, Sayaka's awesome, Gretchen because I like how it twists Madoka's wanting to protect the world into wanting to absorb it, and Elsa Maria just because the scene with Sayaka fighting her was incredible.

Which witch is which? =P

Charlotte is clearly my favourite. She is adorable. Her scene in the show is pretty much my favourite scene in the entire show, maybe next to when Homura leaves Madoka from space. 

Edited by Champion Dism
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Just found this wonderful mandolin orchestra's version of several songs in the Madoka soundtrack a few hours ago and figured I may as well share it here if any of you are into that kind of thing :).

Tonight I'm heading around YouTube and looking for remixes and arrangements of Madoka songs, and I'm finding some great stuff.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 2

This thread needs moar attention :(

Well, if there's less people, then there's more content needed from the said less people! Here are a list of essay questions that I want you to answer thoroughly in the proper essay format, double spaced – and don't forget to put your name on!

Best piece of music?

Best song? (Note: Song, not tunes)

Best witch?

Best episode?

Best Drama CD? 

Best movie?

Best support/side character?

Best scene?

Best ship?

Best friendship?

Most tragic character?

Best power/weapon?

Best Madoka game?

Here are some more expanded questions:

Is Kyubey entirely in the wrong? Do you agree with what he does or doesn't reveal?

Do Homura's actions in Rebellion seem out-of-character to you? Does it make sense?

Homura did nothing wrong Are Homura's actions in Rebellion entirely wrong? 

Sorry for the Homu I'll think up more eventually and answer them.

• Brohoof 2