Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv The Madoka Magica Thread

duidamasterXD

Seeing this get revived just reminded me that I haven't done the questionnaire. I shall put it on the to-do list and will do it shortly. ;)

I regret that I am still not able to discuss Rebellion, however...

Also, and I realize I may appear foolish since I have not completed the series and am therefore uninformed, but Sayaka is totally Best Magical Girl.

lol gtfo noob 

Edited by Rudy Redlin
  • Brohoof 1

After DF told me about this series forever and a day ago, I said I would watch it. Forever and a day later and I still hadn't watched it. He and I talked a bit more over time, I once again agreed to watch it and got so far as to see the first episode. Getting into new stuff is a little challenging for me, even if I find it interesting.

Fast forward a week or so and I watched the second episode. The following day I saw four more. The day after I watched the rest. Or something like that. That's more or less how it went and how it usually goes. Glad I did. It's been an interesting ride. Still haven't seen the movie though.

Kyubey's actions, although not his motives or true nature, became apparent to me by the end of episode 6. My suspicions had bee aroused an episode earlier, but this is the point where I felt confident in them, and he confirmed them an episode or two later. Cool concept, and not at all what I was expecting from this frilly, cute, shojo-looking anime. Props to them for delivering some of that charm along with a dark tragedy that several times rent my heart.

Seriously though, preying upon the insecurities and emotional fragility of pubescent girls is pretty cruel, though I can see where he was coming from.

Sayaka is best magical girl, imo. She reminds me much of myself in her sense of justice and desire to protect others from all harm at her own possible peril. The biggest difference between us being that I lack her impulsiveness and think things through a bit more, although the girls' inability to do that is largely why they were selected for this job to begin with. Still, she's kindred. She'd be my waifu if Twilight wasn't. Homura would be second for me in an ordered list. I hope that's enough to please Clarity. :P

C15zNqO.png

The shortcomings of this test are very obvious and have been pointed out many times before, but I did my best to answer truthfully and I think the results are accurate.

• Brohoof 6

Oh hey, I stopped being lazy and did this.

Best piece of music?

I'm gonna go with Symposium Magarum, because of the scene it shows up in. Up until that point I was keeping the show at a certain amount of distance, but when the music flares up and we're pulled into Sayaka's personal hell, I totally lost it. That was the point where the show bypassed my critical defenses and went straight for the heart. I credit the soundtrack for pulling that off.

Best song? 

Magia by Kalafina. It's the first song I heard, the first song I loved, and the first song that pops into my head when the show is mentioned.

Best witch?

I've read none of the spinoff material, so I'm sticking solely to the show. Oktavia von Seckendorff. I explained why above.

Best episode?

I'm just gonna parrot what everyone else has said. Episode 10. Clever in concept and brilliant in execution. Striking images and intelligent use of ellipsis convey an unfathomable amount of story in a very short time. It's a filmmaking marvel. Easily among the best pieces of visual media I've seen in a while.

Best Drama CD? 

I have not heard any of them. Sorry.

Best movie?

Haven't seen any of them. But considering Rebellion is the only one made up entirely of new material, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that one. But it's only a guess. 

Best support/side character?

I never quite got a grip on the side characters, but Junko Kaname did manage to leave an impression. She was sweet and caring and stuff.

Best scene?

Homura's fight against Walpurgis Night. I love a good action scene, and this one not only has huge emotional stakes involved (due to the buildup and the reveal of Homura's intentions in the episode preceding), it also doubles as a great character moment for Homura herself. This scene is actually what cemented her as my favorite.

Best ship?

Not much of a shipper really. 

Best friendship?

Madoka and Homura's relationship is very much at the center of the story (and is responsible for much of its impact) so I have to go with that one.

Most tragic character?

Homura. Duh. Going into the reasons would be tedious since I'd just be reiterating what's already been said. What I admire so much about this character is how she keeps her cool and does not despair even when she has every reason to.

Best power/weapon?

Power - Homura's time manipulation. Not just because of its applications in combat, but because of its applications in the narrative. The show wouldn't be what it is without it.

Weapon - I'm very fond of Mami's rifles. Really fun to watch. No wonder Madoka was so seduced by the magical girl lifestyle.

Best Madoka game?

No idea. I haven't played through a video game in nearly two years.

Is Kyubey entirely in the wrong? Do you agree with what he does or doesn't reveal?

Entirely? No. Looking at it from his coldly logical perspective, I'd say he's correct in asserting that what happens on Earth isn't important in the wider universal context. He wouldn't be able to accomplish his stated goal if he was upfront about how everything works, so his actions make sense to me. Is what he does still rotten, though? Yeah, if you're a human. Which I am.

Do Homura's actions in Rebellion seem out-of-character to you? Does it make sense?

Again, I have not seen Rebellion. Stop asking me questions about it.

Are Homura's actions in Rebellion entirely wrong? 

GODDAMMIT CLARITY I'LL WATCH IT THIS WEEK GET OFF MY ASS.

Edited by Rudy Redlin
  • Brohoof 4

So I'm now watching the first two Madoka movies as preparation. Rebellion is incoming. How scared should I be?

WHAT THE F*********** HAVE YOU JUST DONE––

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I actually watched the first 2 episodes at first, when people were REALLY talking about it.....I didn't find it good back then, but over these past few years since it got completed, when I'd run out of interesting shows to watch, my wiki searches would go RIGHT back to Madoka...after about 5 times of this happening (by then I knew the gist of the plot), I finally decided to sit down and try to watch it again.

The 2nd time trying to watch it.

My reaction....After Sayaka's 'departing'....I was thinking that this was really psychologically darker than what I expected and worried that it would only get worse (I thought it would make me depressed)....So I stopped.

After that, I didn't touch the anime, but I haphazardly found Puella Magi Kazumi Magica manga, read it all the way through, and got HOOKED on the story. I had to go back and force myself to see the rest of the anime.

Needless  to say,  I liked the ending....It was quite satisfying considering the fact that I thought it was going to make me depressed....

It was a good show, and a decent deconstruction of one of my least favorite anime genres, but I am not sure it's up into the echelon of my personal favorites. It is a very good original anime, with a great story, strangely beautiful animation, and a lot of twists and turns with the plot. However, I'm not planning on rewatching it anytime soon, nor am I interested in the movies that just recap the anime. At this point I feel the creators are just milking the cash cow. Although, if more manga come out (I know of the current 3 spin-offs, and I count the original and Different story as one), I will definitely read those. I may watch the third movie because it's not a recap (to my knowledge)....

oh! and Homura is my favorite character, hands down....

Edited by Treble Bolt
  • Brohoof 3

the movies that just recap the anime

Ohohohohohoho they do more than that. At least Rebellion does.

Anyways, Madoka. An amazing series that sort of became the modern Evangelion for me (I'm not old enough to have experienced the first wave of Eva though, so even Eva is the modern Eva for me). It quietly asks a lot of questions I like. And the cast is cute girls, which is always a plus.

• Brohoof 2

7Rap9ij.png

Guys... I... I...

I don't know what to think anymore. This just can't be right. I was stupid... so stupid. 

No. I won't allow this. I won't depend on anyone anymore. My only signpost left. My very best frie––

Wait. What the flying fuck?

• Brohoof 5

Watched the Rebellion camrip last night. My early, disorganized impressions are under a spoiler for the convenience of those who have not seen it.

I'll start with what I Ioved: Those brilliantly over-the-top new transformations, the Mami/Homu gunfight, the cake song (shut up, it was glorious), those trippy labyrinth sequences in the final act. Take it from someone who has been forcing himself to watch the Oscar nominees: this stuff puts most of last year's cinematic offerings to shame. Music and art style are also superb, no surprise there. 

So, did I like the movie overall? 

I...think so. 

Okay, actually, I have no fucking idea. For every moment I adored, there is another that I can't make heads or tails of. I'm not even comfortable with giving it a numerical rating right now. I will need to watch it again in Blu-Ray quality before my opinion of it fully crystallizes.

And one more thing. I do think people tend to overstate how disturbing it is. It's creepy and melancholic and effective, sure, but it wasn't a particularly despairing experience for me. Your mileage may vary, I suppose.

Episode 10 is still the peak of the series.

• Brohoof 3

I decided to give this show a shot since it seems pretty popular around here and... it's pretty damn good I gotta say. The most general way I can probably describe it is a big ball of tragedy wrapped up in hope dipped in tragedy sauce, it made me feel things. I liked how it was somewhat subversive and self-aware too. It was definitely amazing for a short anime, which is something I barely watch in general.

Other super-spoilery thoughts:

In the end the whole series seemed like it was about Homura, always trying to save Madoka over and over again with her time magic. I found that very tragic and touching, so Homura is probably my favorite character.

I didn't like Kyubey one bit though, that little Pokémon rip-off jerk lol, putting young girls into endless cycles of life and death at each other's hand all throughout history... cute things truly can be the devil after all.

I don't know if I liked the ending a super whole lot though, what with Madoka becoming god and whatnot... she wanted the power to stop one foe from existing I guess, but then another just turned up... I suppose it is brilliant in showing just how far the tragedy of one's wishes can go though.

I haven't seen the movie yet but I think I might, I'm fine with how the anime ended I guess though but we'll see.

So yeah, it's good... not my favorite thing ever, but I enjoyed it not being a huge anime viewer or anything anyway. ;)

• Brohoof 5

It's time to revive this duck. (Honestly, this thread should be way more popular. Madoka is best show.)

I'm thinking of starting a Madoka roleplay. I haven't RP'd since last year, but given that Madoka is something I wholeheartedly enjoy, I think I might be able to maintain it this time. It's essentially our OCs or whatever other characters we might want to enter being in the world of pre-Madokami, making contracts and turning into witches (if that's what you choose to do). Give me your thoughts on this!

• Brohoof 1

I have never RP'd before, but I've always been curious about it. Might be willing to join one if it's Madoka-based. I'm only concerned about my ability to stay interested for an extended period of time. :P

How long do RPs usually run?

• 1 month later...

I bought the final volume of the Madoka Magica manga over the weekend (Volume 3). I just got done reading it.

I enjoyed the manga, but I can't see why the series is so popular. It just kind of felt like an average manga to me. I should watch the anime on Netflix when I get the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the final volume of the Madoka Magica manga over the weekend (Volume 3). I just got done reading it.

Was it just in Japanese only?

Edited by LatinoChurro

I finally got around to watching the movie a while back and I will just say that I love it and hate it at the same time. In a good way.

I heard that it may or may not be a massive parody/deconstruction of the fanbase but I dunno.

• Brohoof 1