Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do some new members do this?

Slice0Pie

Why do some new memebers join the forum and the they just disappear is a short period of time?

I don't understand..

When new members join, they seem all happy, say in the Welcoming plaza there is happy to be here and hope to meet new people, and then in a week or two, or whatever, they just disappear?

I know some awensers I guess, but what do you guys think?

• Brohoof 18

Why do some new memebers join the forum and the they just disappear is a short period of time?

I don't understand..

When new members join, they seem all happy, say in the Welcoming plaza there is happy to be here and hope to meet new people, and then in a week or two, or whatever, they just disappear?

I'm more interested as to why it irritates you  :lol:

Ehh I think it comes down to the schematics of the board/community. It may look like a great place at first glance, but then the novelty effect wears off and they realize that there's nothing there for them. Or as others have said, they have a busy schedule.

Edited by Octavia's Melody
  • Brohoof 2

You know, about a year ago, people here would've thought I was one of those members since I didn't start getting active until many months after I had joined here. The thing is, this place used to be "the second pony forums" but is now the primary one as I've been growing more and more resentful towards that other pony forums... 

But I'm getting a bit off track here. Point is, maybe some of them might return and become regulars like what happened with me. You just never know.

Edited by SunBurn

I don't understand..

They just join but then get busy. It happens :) But then those members sometimes come back and get active when they have more time. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I sort of did the same thing though. I joined, hung around for a while, then got busy and forgot about it. Then in the spring of last year I got on more and more and it became a regular thing. 

I think it just has to do with word about the site getting out so more people come to check it out then get busy and forget about it. 

I think it all has to do with the individual more than anything. When I first joined I had serious doubts to whether or not I wanted to stay and I did not get on that much the first couple of days. It wasn't really till I started making some friends and really getting hooked to the place by posting and discussing stuff you know. I know I have said it before, it was the first forum for me and a great place to begin with being a forum goer. I think it all depends on the person if they are more active on another forum or if they do not see the appeal to the site as other might.

• Brohoof 2

In the cases where I have done this, it's been all out of shyness and not really knowing what to do or how to meet people on forums. To me, it's like joining a groups of friends that have known each other for a long time. There are inside jokes you may not get and group dynamics you don't understand, so that can make it difficult to be active in that group. It might even be a bit intimidating.

Edited by AyoMistadurrk
  • Brohoof 2

One reason could be that the novelty of it all wears off quicker for some people. Especially if they've joined other MLP-themed forums before and realize that, by and large, we're not really talking about anything here that hasn't already been talked about elsewhere.

• Brohoof 2

AyoMistadurrk, on 17 Dec 2013 - 8:37 PM, said:

In the cases where I have done this, it's been all out of shyness and not really knowing what to do or how to meet people on forums. To me, it's like joining a groups of friends that have known each other for a long time. There are inside jokes you may not get and group dynamics you don't understand, so that can make it difficult to be active in that group. It might even be a bit intimidating.

I agree with this. Although I've only made 1 friend on the forum in my 7 months or so of being here, I've still had a blast. I also have been checking this site daily for a good few months now. Luckily, this forum has so many members that friends aren't required to have a good time. I can just come here and casually post, which I find pretty convenient.

If you don't latch onto a community rather quickly, which is done through lots of warm welcomings, ease of access and tons of other factors, it's quite easy to just sort of drift off target, actually.

• Brohoof 4

I don't understand why they do it myself, my only guess is they join the forum thinking that it will have no learning curve as far goes as navigating, then they see how truely big it is, get intimidated and give up. That or they aren't satisfied with the number of new friends they get.

I did my research before I joined the MLP forums in regards to navigating it so I would avoid the intimidation part hehe.

Some people just forget about the forum entirely, or just can't build up the courage to post. Other reasons could be busy work schedules, bad situations coming out of nowhere, whether it's financially or not, or they could just be lurking but never posting.

Not everyone is devoted to discussing ponies as much as the rest of us. I'm sure the majority of new users have other stuff in their lives  more important than My Little Pony (as strange as that might sound to some of us haha). I've never been so active in the forums as I have been in the past month or so, mostly because of season 4 but also because I spend 99% of my social life on the forums. 

;)

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes it must be a lack of interest I guess. I've done the same on Serebii forums when I joined there. I posted about five times, then I just gave up. A bunch of people were already friends and I felt a little left out. I didn't really get a warm welcome or anything, and I found the layout of the site boring and a little confusing. Also, I didn't have the time to post there at the time.

So, I think it could be a combination of those things for most people.

• Brohoof 1