Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do some new members do this?

Slice0Pie

I was inactive for quite some time after initially joining the forums. Mostly because I didn't have much time (avoiding showing parent's and sibligs, Now all but my dad and sister know) and didn't find all that much to talk about, so I lost interest for a while. 

Then as I said, most of the family knows (and honestly I stopped caring). Plus I started to hang out with @Kolth more IRL and used this to get in touch with him. There are quite a few more reasons, but I don't feel like taking the time to write them down.

As for why others disappear, I honestly don't know, but would assume it's for similar reasons.

Edited by The Pulse

I'm not sure if I made a thread about this but even if I did I'm going to make my opinion about it. I personally think the reason why new members join and than in a short period of time suddenly go inactive is because one: they're either getting bored and changed their mind to physically go on the forums everyday to make posts or two: the lack of popularity and lonliness. Dunno...

Edited by Cherry Changa

Well some people show up with high expectations, get to know the general populace, and then leave as soon as possible. That's what I would do were I smart.

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)
  • Brohoof 1

I'm pretty new and I'm inactive a lot. Most of the times its just hard to find things to do here, it doesn't help that I don't know a lot of people here either and that I'm shy......

That can be remedied, You'd be surprised at just how friendly people on these forums can be ;) If you ever need some one to talk to just send me a pm.

I'm just gonna guess that they're simply too invested in other things to do, and that when they joined the forums, they didn't consider those other things. Either that, or they may have had a bad first impression when joining the forums which led them to decide not to come back.

Maybe the Illuminati and New World Order has something to do with this? Maybe it's all a secret plan to slowly introduce new members to the forums at an increasing pace, making the higher ups on the forum incredibly excited that so many new members are joining. Eventually the web masters will have to upgrade the servers for the site to handle the overload of new members. This will cause the server to crash, exposing the secret stash of classified documents describing a way to enter Equestria buried deep in the code of the website. They will then use this knowledge to enter Equestria and take it over for themselves, then return to earth with their newly acquired pony powers to take this planet over!

lol just kidding.

People just lose interest I suppose or are too shy to post most of the time.

Edited by Rivendare

Sometimes when people join a forum they do hope to have fun and make friends and stay active, but things don't always end up that way. I'm sure plenty of people sign up with huge expectations and high hopes, but when they don't find enough topics to post in or they have trouble finding friends, they grow bored and leave.

I am slightly embarrassed to admit that I first signed up for the forum back in October 2011 when this place wasn't even a week old. I was never incredibly active as far as posting goes, but bear in mind that this place was much smaller back then and probably less active as a whole. At that time I had no close friends like I do now so I grew bored after about three months and never came back until a year later when season 3 was in full swing. It was a great decision to finally come back though. I've never been more excited about logging onto a forum than this one here and now. :)

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if someone already brought this up, but I think that they are disappointed. Most of the times, people leave their review of an episode and are gone. They only discuss stuff if someone quotes or mentions them. So I guess that people expect other to say what they think of their opinions, and are disappointed when no one seems to care about what they think. So they leave.

• Brohoof 1

Eh, forums don't really appeal to everyone. Its a matter of preference.

Not gonna lie, i originally came to these forums because i heard about our minecraft server and wanted in. In order to get in, you needed to have like 10 posts or something.

I ended up loving this place, and i've still yet to actually go on the minecraft server. (cause its always an outdated version! lol)

Those who leave probably just didn't get the push they needed to actually start posting, and thus lost interest.

Edited by crazitaco

It could be an impulse caused by different things. Maybe they had extreme excitement for the show, seen the forums and though 'Wow! Community!' And register, made a thread and never came back. They probably never had intentions to be active, because it may have been an impulse registration. Others could be more lurkers than posters. Impulse registrations I think are a big thing that causes this for any forum, plus what others have said.

• Brohoof 2

The new members that join the forums and say that they're happy to be here have the new experience hype. Everyone get them. When they try something new and love it and that the only thing they do fore the next few days. I get it when I buy a new video game.

So all the new users think they will find the perfect place where they can spend the time having fun. But then they don't get started into the deeper parts of this site. And just lose interest. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, look at my case. I'm a very old member, yet I do the same. Whenever you are no longer apart (or if you weren't in the first place) of the "popular" group, hanging around seems idiotic. If you won't be noticed by anyone, what's the point of posting on the forum?

While this view is very flawed, it's how I felt for over a year now.

• 6 years later...

I've been guilty of this on quite a few forums, one of the main reasons for me is that it's really hard to get to know people and fit in when joining a new community, it's something that takes time and you have to stick at for a while but it's also easy to drift away if it feels like you're not really getting anywhere.

• Brohoof 1

So they actually did this back in 2013 as well?

So I see a pattern. People register, wait a while, then post a welcome post, gets a lot of welcome replies, and then never come back. In 2013 I would just blame it on Twilight's wings. But it is happening now as well. It is not that they try to join. It is just that they don't try to stay. And I don't know why!

If we could ask them? But, as pointed out by the thread, they have left.

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, Splashee said:

So I see a pattern. People register, wait a while, then post a welcome post, gets a lot of welcome replies, and then never come back. In 2013 I would just blame it on Twilight's wings. But it is happening now as well. It is not that they try to join. It is just that they don't try to stay. And I don't know why!

I don't understand it either, there was this guy called @Gillycynder who I met in a welcome post and never did anything else. He left without saying goodbye with no reason at all!

• Brohoof 3

13 minutes ago, Splashee said:

I mean, I've signed up for sites before and completely forgot I have, the same thing happens in my discord as well to a degree, 5 people join and maybe if I'm lucky one stays, its really quite silly if you think about it I mean come on... XD

• Brohoof 1