Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Elements from the Comic Book you'd like to see in the Show

Jangocoolguy

Now I'm not saying they should adapt storylines from the IDW comic. Heck, I feel quite the opposite. Though I would like to see some elements thrown in somehow. For example--

Troll Jim

For starters, the idea of trolls in Equestria sounds almost logical. And it would be pretty funny to see him play with one of our heroines like how people do with pony dolls IRL and the rest be all "WTF?! :o" :lol:

Chubacabra and/or Jackalopes

I mean, why not? Even without that classic bit with Fluttershy (though that would be a hoot!  :lol:) it's always neat when a mythical monster shows up (some of the show's best moments, after all)

Stuff from the "Micro-series"

Heck, a lot of those feel like stuff that could happen on the show anyway! ;)

Supporting Characters to the rescue!

Remember how Issue 8 had supporting characters & backgrounders battling the Nightmare Forces? How cool would it be if something similar actually happened on the show? Celestia knows it would be nice to see the lesser characters pitch in during a crisis for once...

Spike sending a letter only to belch out a form letter :lol:

A Big Macintosh episode with elements from the "Zen and the Art of Gazebo Repair" story, if just to see him get the spotlight (they'll likely do that someday...) 

How about you guys? What events or characters--or something similar--would you like to see without the shackles their comic storylines?

Edited by Jangobadass

Celestia is alot more chilled out, so's luna in fact.

almost like Molly not being a deviant and Luna not being a game addict :P

Someone missed the latest Micro series then :P

I flipping love the cover for it!

well.. one of them anyways...

988397_694854580559769_459655847_n_zps5e

(I'll bet she can fly too!)

She takes on a new level of adorably out of her mind in this one. Kind of keeping to her show self, plays with her youthful state, and even mocking her time in banishment once or twice.. love it. And Tiberius.. Heh.. wonder if thats another prod at star trek (Kirks middle name) or just one for the history books?... hmmm. Local 1701 from before has me guessing trek.

anywho..

for transition.. Not sure.. The comics have a bit more parody to them that I enjoy very much. The little "in" jokes they make on their own (Macho marks or manly marks?....) as well as at the expense of others (Revenge of the Nerds, Star Trek, transformers, etc....)

And at a much much higher level.

But they don't have a point like the series episodes do. They are just kind of random for the sake of fun, and yet have a story to tell each time.

They just generally do things that the "kids show" can't and probably won't be allowed to play with. Taking on darker themes, more literal attitude, and much more...

I kinda wish the writers would be allowed a little spinoff series in this style.. maybe a web miniseries? 

Just not sure I'd want them entirely mixed. The innocence of the show has its own draw, where the depth of the comics has its.

Mixing them together would almost feel.. sponge bob like... but with a point and a tinge of darkness..

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 2

Stuff from the "Micro-series"

Heck, a lot of those feel like stuff that could happen on the show anyway! ;)

NO! Nothing from that God-Awful Dash Micro should ever resurface again...

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing those two hippies from the Rarity micro, or the clown from the Pinkie micro, and the beach from the Pirate Ponies comic

Art of Gazebo Repairs and the Celestia Micro needs to be an episode all together

• Brohoof 2

NO! Nothing from that God-Awful Dash Micro should ever resurface again...

I cannot bro hoof that enough.. omfg... that whole thing was a disaster.. 

Who proof read that?! Let alone cleared it for publish?!

That there was the definite weakest moment in any part of the series.

• Brohoof 2

The slutty-ish Luna from the Big Mac comic.

*Sob* I wish I was Big Mac!!! *Sob*

Celestia hoofwrestling Big-Mac (and beating him  :P)

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 1

Um im the champion of bringing new stuff in.  i think those ideas were alot  more appealing in season 3.

you know when things were bad.  we have alot continuety to chase now.

ALOT.  The cmc and the main cast are learning things and growing, it would seem.

And we have new writers who are doing at least a good job.

I'm worried about tossing them a curve ball.

Worried.  I'm open to thise idea, but be aware we dont' want the writers who are doing well to be given something they can't handle.

I'd like to see them made fully canon, but that's asking for too much trouble. :(  I'd like to see some of the characters they've introduced in the background at least, though. And maybe Sweetie Belle's fondness of fire.

post-22950-0-47235100-1387407923_thumb.png

Just look at how fascinated she is by its warm glow.

• Brohoof 1

I cannot bro hoof that enough.. omfg... that whole thing was a disaster.. 

Who proof read that?! Let alone cleared it for publish?!

That there was the definite weakest moment in any part of the series.

What was so bad about it? I've never read the comics myself.

This thread could use some spoiler tags y'know. 

Anyways, one thing that I would like to see from the comics that this show has desperately needed for the longest time is pacing. The comics are so good due to every moment getting the time it needs to resonate with the audience, rather than the show where a conflict is brought up and it is resolved in 9 seconds flat and all emotional context is lost. All the fun there was in these 4 part story arcs would get rushed into some 2 part episodes at best. So yeah, pacing and taking time to focus with each character and their moments something that makes the comics great and could make the show a lot better. 

I'll probably mention some other stuff once I'm done reading the rest of the comics. 

This thread could use some spoiler tags y'know. 

I dunno, it gives a few teasers so far, but no real content. If anything it may drive more folks to join the comic reading herd :)

Basically, aside from just a TERRIBLE story,

it stole elements from fan works that were in work well before it (double rainboom being the most notable), the antagonists were bland and easily forgettable , RD was so conceited she never accepted ANY help from ANYPONY else at all, not even at the end.. Whole sky of Pegasi, and she doesn't try to even remotely get assistance in taking down the troll cloud... Even for RD this is just sad (especially since it supposedly takes over a week to finish up)

Some of the jokes were just horrid ( A lego fortess? really?.. even for all the bad jokes the series/comics have done, that was just.. wow...), Bad use of the "20%" meme, bad narration attempt (literally the writer narrates a few panels out of the blue).. ugh the list goes on TBH.

All that and TBH the art style used in it was the worst I've seen from official lines yet...

Some poke at the "pork chops" comment used by AJ in it too, but TBH I find that a rather minor infraction overall.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 3

hoh boy

GrimCW pretty much gave a basic rundown of what was so bad about it, but I've been having a serious need to rip it a new one forever

Be warned, it's not going to be pretty. At all.

The Rainbow Dash Micro is so awful to the point where it goes beyond the writer wanting to attempt a faulty story with RD to him simply not giving two shits

- The characterization is so bad that it somehow makes Mare Do Well look like Suited for Success, Rainbow Dash is such a hollow shell that even in Equestria Girls she had a lot more substance. Those alone are fucking achievements in and of themselves

- It's loaded with some of the worst dialogue I have ever read. Seriously "Play nice you anonymous meanies!" "This is more frustrating than the time I had to clip your toenails Tank" "Dangerous eating a sandals, or dangerous like splitting your infinitives?". Who the fuck comes up with this stuff?

- The gremlins are such laughably awful villains(and not intentionally awful) they make the teenage dragons from Dragon Quest look like Frollo

- There are so many bloody references for the sake of it that it gives Double Rainboom and Zachary Rich a run for their money. I remember in an interview with the writer kept trying to hype up a Blade Runner reference. What's so exciting about that?

- Speaking of which there are so many parallels with Double Rainboom it feels like the writer saw DR before it aired

- Memes out the fucking ass, 20% _____ is most notably abused(as if that line isn't overused enough). Who the hell is this trying to appeal to? FiM fans or the lowest common denominator of Youtube comment?

- The art is noticeably bad, with only a couple of panels even worth bringing up

- Have I mentioned the fact that this comic severely contradicts canon? Zap Apples apparently have never existed before, and Rainbow Dash is the one who created them despite the fact that Zap Apples are the reason the damn town even exists

- I would love to see footage of the board meeting for the comic's brainstorming where the creative team showed up high on copious amounts of cocaine that led them to pass off this entire comic as a good idea

Yeah, to say I'm bitter about this comic is a huge understatement, it's so insulting that the only way I can be satisfied with it is if I see all copies of this bloody comic gathered and destroyed in such a glorious fashion right in front of my eyes and that the writer be outright banned from writing another comic for this series, an make another RD micro with a writer who actually gives a fuck. Rainbow Dash deserves better

phew, it feel like I just had a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders

Edited by Junpei Iori
  • Brohoof 1

I'd like to see some more focus put on characters beside the Mane 6, Spike, and CMCs. The comics have been spending time with other characters, not just the micro comics but the main one. I really enjoyed the Big Mac 2 parter, and the following ark about when Cadance and Shining Armor were in high school. My favorite shows have always been ones that build a community and then spend time with the various members, like The Simpsons and Hey Arnold.

I do think MLP could benefit from that kind of expansion. It got me excited when the new intro showed so many more characters in the photo during the opening. I don't know if the writers plan to actually give any of them their own episodes, but it would be great.

• Brohoof 1

Cadance and Shining Armor were in high school

I'd love to see this made into an official episode.. but given the references it makes throughout.. I doubt that'll ever happen.

Interesting how the comics get away with that, and the show can't :P

But this arc here was HILARIOUS... 

@

And to think, normally I'll accept whats thrown out because well and won't argue, I mean... I don't control the show/comic in any way, so its not really my place to rattle that cage.

But that comic.. ugh.. It was so terrible... It even had me gagging at its awfulness.. I'm not even a big RD Fan and still.. oye..

Edited by GrimCW

hoh boy

GrimCW pretty much gave a basic rundown of what was so bad about it, but I've been having a serious need to rip it a new one forever

Be warned, it's not going to be pretty. At all.

The Rainbow Dash Micro is so awful to the point where it goes beyond the writer wanting to attempt a faulty story with RD to him simply not giving two shits

- The characterization is so bad that it somehow makes Mare Do Well look like Suited for Success, Rainbow Dash is such a hollow shell that even in Equestria Girls she had a lot more substance. Those alone are fucking achievements in and of themselves

- It's loaded with some of the worst dialogue I have ever read. Seriously "Play nice you anonymous meanies!" "This is more frustrating than the time I had to clip your toenails Tank" "Dangerous eating a sandals, or dangerous like splitting your infinitives?". Who the fuck comes up with this stuff?

- The gremlins are such laughably awful villains(and not intentionally awful) they make the teenage dragons from Dragon Quest look like Frollo

- There are so many bloody references for the sake of it that it gives Double Rainboom and Zachary Rich a run for their money. I remember in an interview with the writer kept trying to hype up a Blade Runner reference. What's so exciting about that?

- Speaking of which there are so many parallels with Double Rainboom it feels like the writer saw DR before it aired

- Memes out the fucking ass, 20% _____ is most notably abused(as if that line isn't overused enough). Who the hell is this trying to appeal to? FiM fans or the lowest common denominator of Youtube comment?

- The art is noticeably bad, with only a couple of panels even worth bringing up

- Have I mentioned the fact that this comic severely contradicts canon? Zap Apples apparently have never existed before, and Rainbow Dash is the one who created them despite the fact that Zap Apples are the reason the damn town even exists

- I would love to see footage of the board meeting for the comic's brainstorming where the creative team showed up high on copious amounts of cocaine that led them to pass off this entire comic as a good idea

Yeah, to say I'm bitter about this comic is a huge understatement, it's so insulting that the only way I can be satisfied with if I see all copies of this bloody comic gathered and destroyed in such a glorious fashion right in front of my eyes and that the writer be outright banned from writing another comic for this series, an make another RD micro with a writer who actually gives a fuck. Rainbow Dash deserves better

phew, it feel like I just had a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders

If the thing about the zap apples is true, than wow, that is a series ruining plot hole. That is the absolute worst kind of plot hole, as it COMPLETELY contradicts the entire continuity of the series. There is no logical way that the show's story can even work now, unless they retcon the old story of how zap apples came to be and the fact that the town was created because of zap apples

Wow, if this comic is canon, that I think this single handedly destroys the entire series for me. Well, this isn't the first time this has happened to a series I've loved......

Edited by Sir Wulfington

If the thing about the zap apples is true, than wow, that is a series ruining plot hole. That is the absolute worst kind of plot hole, as it COMPLETELY contradicts the entire continuity of the series. There is no logical way that the show's story can even work now, unless they retcon the old story of how zap apples came to be and the fact that the town was created because of zap apples

Wow, if this comic is canon, that I think this single handedly destroys the entire series for me. Well, this isn't the first time this has happened to a series I've loved......

Don't worry. They already said the comics aren't really canon unless you want it to be, so it's safe to say that this comic can easily be forgotten

Edited by Junpei Iori

I dunno, it gives a few teasers, but no real content. If anything, it may drive more folks to comic reading herd :)

Exactly. Heck this thread is mainly for people who've read the comic beforehand (sorry), but I'm trying to avoid spoilers for everyone else.

Funny how the comics can get away with that, but the show can't :P

Thanks Hasbro :eww:

Though be fair, most comic books have content you won't see in most TV Shows based on them

Edited by Jangobadass

If so, that's great, but where was mentioned? I can't seem to find a source.

I think the editor of the entire comic series said it on the IDW forums

Don't worry. They already said the comics aren't really canon unless you want it to be, so it's safe to say that this comic can easily be forgotten

I knew they said the Micro series isn't, is the main series considered so as well?

TBH out of everything so far, the RD one is the ONLY ones I wouldn't think could fit in. The rest are REALLY good so far, and really work with whats established.

Especially love the peaks into Celestia and Luna's daily lives

Yeah, to say I'm bitter about this comic is a huge understatement, it's so insulting that the only way I can be satisfied with it is if I see all copies of this bloody comic gathered and destroyed in such a glorious fashion right in front of my eyes and that the writer be outright banned from writing another comic for this series, an make another RD micro with a writer who actually gives a fuck. Rainbow Dash deserves better

*Before reading ^this...*

Me: Surely it can't be THAT bad...

*After...*

Me:

P.S.- Don't call me Shirley...

• Brohoof 1

Just do what I do with it and MMDW, pretend they never happened.

Seriously, the best part of this comic is the cover art. That is the only good thing I have to say about it.

• Brohoof 1