Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Starting up conversations?

Gone Airbourne

What type are you?  

115 users have voted

1. 1. Are you the type of person who would rather start up a conversation or are you more along the shy quiet type who would not initiate a conversation?

• Yes I can start up a conversation no problem and it is easy for me.
    • No I rather would not I tend to hesitate when it comes to sparking a conversation

So yeah I tend to find myself to lean towards the more hesitant side to starting up conversation with others. One fact being that I am a very shy person to begin with and also I always think that I would be a bother to someone if I tried to talk to them >.> that is probably just me though... 

So is it easier for you to spark up a conversation or is it something that is a bit harder for you to do? 

• Brohoof 11

fdfdsa fd d asd adf  23r2r r2

Edited by plzremoveaccountfdfd

I can never spark conversations, I kind of just go with whatever people are talking about rather than try to get them to talk about what I'd like. I always worry that people won't like the subject that I'd like to discuss or that it'll take a bad turn so I just keep quiet when it comes to starting things up.

• Brohoof 2

I can admit it takes courage to try to start up a conversation but, I'm still a shy person it just takes practice if you had conversations in the past with friends and family.

• Brohoof 1

It's kind of hard for me to start a conversation despite being a pretty social person here ^_^ Normally people start a conversation with me, and once we have a topic, I can carry it on easily :) Normally it's easier if you can find some sort of common ground. There were guys I never talked to in school, but once I learned we liked the same show or something, I talked to them frequently because I started up a conversation on that subject :P But well that's just me

• Brohoof 3

Well I will have to say yes and no.... because for starting up a conversations with a random person in real life(Example: At school in class) then yes.... 

With people that I know or here with you guys I'm fine... still a little shy to talk to one person though....

Edited by zombie king24
  • Brohoof 1

It's always been a hassle coming up with a good topic for conversation...and keep in mind, this is coming both from "past me" who was a total Fluttershy, and "present me" who's a lot more approachable. There's just something about putting myself on the spot trying to think of something to say that only causes my mind to go blank. I'd almost liken it to stage fright, only a bit less intimidating...a bit.

For a successful conversation to occur with me really depends on what environment I'm in, how much I know about the person I'm talking to, and whether they engage conversation first. If I'm somewhere where there's a lot to talk about (e.g., a con), or if they're carrying something that indicates their interests, or if they come and talk to me, then conversing isn't too difficult.

If none of that is present, I don't even bother, since...well, to be embarrassingly honest, I'd probably end up talking about something excruciatingly lame like the patterns on the floor or something.

• Brohoof 3

For me there are times were I will muster the courage and start up a conversation but my underlying worry is that does that person really want to talk to me though? I guess that is the fine line of taking risks though and you can usually tell whether or not someone enjoys your company/presence... 

But overall I am pretty darn shy but I have times were I can break out of my shell / comfort zone especially if I am around good friends. But if I am in a place with a lot of people I do not know ._. I'll mostly likely be the one to stay really quiet and go unnoticed.

• Brohoof 1

For me there are times were I will muster the courage and start up a conversation but my underlying worry is that does that person really want to talk to me though? I guess that is the fine line of taking risks though and you can usually tell whether or not someone enjoys your company/presence...

That's another thing I forgot to mention. Sometimes I'll be out shopping with my little sis, and she'll tell me "Look, that cashier's cute. Chat her up!", but I end up not doing it because frankly, what cashier is EVER having a good day? If I had to work such a job, I wouldn't be in the mood for some random jagoff (like myself) to talk my ear off. I always tell my sister this, and it seems she always counters with "How do you know you wouldn't have made her day?", and that's what really gets me thinking about taking more risks.

• Brohoof 2

what cashier is EVER having a good day?

xD exactly this made me laugh... cashier's and good days do not mix :P

But yeah I see what you mean by that. I have always liked the motto "Risk = Reward" its just getting yourself to go through with it. 

• Brohoof 1

There's nothing wrong with admitting to being shy when starting up conversations online or out. 

At times I can be shy, but most of the times, I choose to remain silent as to that's how I roll most of the times.

Starting conversations are easy when you get the hang of it.

Stating a simple hi or greeting to anyone is always the first step, and after that, things should go smoothly.

• Brohoof 1

I'm really really really really really really bad at starting up conversations, I really wish I wasn't because it makes it impossible for me to talk to girls, so I'm never gonna have a gf... *cries and runs away*

• Brohoof 3

I'm really really really really really really bad at starting up conversations, I really wish I wasn't because it makes it impossible for me to talk to girls, so I'm never gonna have a gf... *cries and runs away*

Don't feel bad man I feel your pain :C...  

I love to start conversations. And sometimes, it's pretty hard for me to stop talking, lol.

I'm not great at starting conversations, but I've gotten much better at keeping them going. Usually, the easiest method is to inquire for details about whatever it is the other person is talking about. Best case, you may discover something interesting; worst case, you feign interest and give someone else an excuse to talk about a subject of interest for them. If the conversation starts to go nowhere, one can offer up similar experiences or knowledge of their own. (ie, "That reminds me of...")

I have a hard time starting a conversation but since nobody starts a conversation with me that is in real life I'm usually the one who has to do it. But there are also people who do start conversations with me and they help.

For me I'm often worried that I'll say something strange and often prefer saying nothing at all. Often I feel like people dislike me before they even get to know me and then there are others that seem to like me right away. Those are the people I end up talking with, basically people that are similar to myself.

The hard thing is though that I don't feel the need to start a conversation and that makes it awkward for other people including myself.

• Brohoof 1

I'm definitely not the kind of person to start up a conversation. I'm perfectly capable of carrying one on, I just usually have a mental blank on things to talk about that would actually interest the person. :P

Although, I can start one up if the person I'm talking to is more shy and awkward than I am. (Unlikely :P ). I pretty much just ask if they did their homework, or if they find something hard if I'm in class. Or, if holidays were nearby, I'd ask what they were doing. xP

• Brohoof 1