Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Starting up conversations?

Gone Airbourne

What type are you?  

115 users have voted

1. 1. Are you the type of person who would rather start up a conversation or are you more along the shy quiet type who would not initiate a conversation?

• Yes I can start up a conversation no problem and it is easy for me.
    • No I rather would not I tend to hesitate when it comes to sparking a conversation

I have a hard time starting a conversation but since nobody starts a conversation with me that is in real life I'm usually the one who has to do it. But there are also people who do start conversations with me and they help.

I can really relate to this a lot. I find times where you have to make that effort or you will certainly know you would not be talking to anyone.  

• Brohoof 1

I have no real problem starting conversations with anyone, acquaintances, friends, or total strangers. I mean, I'll start chatting with the person next to me on the ski lift, or the person next to me in line. I just enjoy talking and having interactions with lots of different people, and so it just comes naturally to me.

When it comes to starting conversations, I am pretty damn terrible. I never know what to say to get things going. However, once a conversations begins I tend to go on a roll of never ending babbles. I usually have a lot to say about everything, which allows me to keep conversations going for quite a while. In fact, once a conversation gets going I manage to flip between subject pretty rapidly due to my mind being unable to focus on one localized topic for any length of time. I tend to start spewing out random scientific facts about little things about everything. :3

• Brohoof 1

I'm absolute crap when it comes to starting up conversations. They aren't really my... bread and butter, to be honest. Approaching people is difficult, so I don't speak unless spoken to most of the time. Unless I absolutely NEED to ask about something important. Usually though, people ask about them anyway for me. It's pretty lucky. To be honest, it makes me feel like a silent protagonist in a video game. Everyone just kind of says everything I want to say at times. 

On a side note, I'm also bad at CONTINUING conversations with strangers in real life. On the internet, I fair better as I kind of know what questions to ask to keep a conversation going because I have time to think and am not being nerve-wracked by the scary eyes that keep staring at me. Although I still don't start conversations there either, I'm just way too nervous about peoples' reactions and stuff. Really have got to get over that. 

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough
  • Brohoof 1

I practically can't start a conversation, unless i'm talking to friend, or I've chugged a bit of caffeine.

I hate the social aspect of life, because it makes me wonder "what am I going to do?" Gets in more despair then Apple Bloom was in when she really wanted a cutie mark.

Edited by Twilight Sniper

I feel like I have the total capability to keep a conversation going. That's no problem for me. I can rant enough and ask random questions on the spot. I think asking someone questions about themselves without getting too personal is a great way to keep conversations going. 

But just because I can keep a conversation going doesn't mean I can start one. 

In fact, at starting conversations, I'm garbage at it. Why? 

Well I lack a lot of confidence. I've always been short on confidence. Plus I always hate to bother people. I mean, I'll hold a conversation with anyone. But I don't want to take up too much of their time or something like that. Maybe they've got somewhere to be and I'm making them late. I hate to do that. 

So I answered no to your question. Starting a conversation and keeping it alive are two different things. I can keep one going , but I couldn't get one started if it would save my life. :muffins: 

• Brohoof 1

Unless its someone I know pretty well then I am horrible at both starting and maintaining a conversation. My mind has a tendency to go completely blank whenever Im trying to talk to anyone I don't know that well, and I generally cant manage more than a couple words.

Nope, it's not easy for me. I was always just a little shy, it's the reason why I have never had a girl friend before, and it's very hard for me to come up with a conversation that everyone will like. Unless I know for a fact they're into the same things I am, and I could talk to them about that thing. For example if I see a guy wearing a Baseball team jersey I could mostly try to talk to him about baseball. Or you guys, I could talk to you guys about FIM, because it's something we share in common. Other than that I am always too afraid to start a Convo and would much prefer to be the guy who is added to a conversation as opposed to starting it.

When it comes to starting conversations, I am pretty damn terrible. I never know what to say to get things going. However, once a conversations begins I tend to go on a roll of never ending babbles. I usually have a lot to say about everything, which allows me to keep conversations going for quite a while. In fact, once a conversation gets going I manage to flip between subject pretty rapidly due to my mind being unable to focus on one localized topic for any length of time. I tend to start spewing out random scientific facts about little things about everything. :3

Oh I so definitely agree with you there. It can prove to be pretty hard to know what to come up with to keep a conversation going lively. Usually depending what it is your talking about would help in that aspect.

My mom is Puerto Rican and she can talk to anyone with no problem as if she had known that person for years... I don't see how she does it. I guess I did not attribute that bold Puerto Rican side :P even though I am part rican.

To be honest with looking at the poll I set up for this I did not imagine so many leaning towards the shy side like that guess I was wrong.

I believe if you wanted to bad enough one could work out that shyness they have slowly. It probably would not be that easy though if you know what I mean

Edited by Ticking Timebomb

I would say im fairly bad at starting new conversations, once one gets rolling I can talk talk talk all day long, but it's just breaking the ice which I find hard :P 

• Brohoof 1

I have a lot of trouble with beginning the talking. Even if we're already in a conversation, if there's a lull, I can't be the one to pick it up. I just kinda don't know how. It feels very awkward to me. If someone addresses a point or asks me something, I have no problem giving an answer. However, I struggle to keep the flow of a conversation going. A lot of the time, I kinda put that on the other person. Not on purpose, mind you. I just don't know how to keep things going.

For me it tends to be determined by the circumstances whether I am quick to engage in a conversation or not.  With individuals at the library where I work or who may be interested in the things that I am (such as reading, MLP, video games, etc...) I can rather comfortably start conversing with them.

However, most of the time I do have trouble, especially around people the same age as me.  I couldn't say why, but I am always worried about what kind of impression I give in an initial conversation...  I guess it's just the bit of Fluttershy in me, haha!  While I may not be shy, per se, I am incredibly introverted, and the fact that I have problems with anxiety doesn't help things much.

It really depends. I've noticed that I always hesitate when I actually want to start conversation with girl, no matter if it's my crush or not. I don't want my intentions to be misunderstood and I don't want it to look like I actually ask her for more than friendship. I know, that it's ridiculous, but I can't get rid of such way of thinking. I have no problems with starting conversation with any guy though, obviously, my shyness does not work then :P

• Brohoof 1

yeah, i have no problem starting up a conversation with someone, i mean usually i'll only be around people from my course, or people in the same societies as me, so there's always a shared interest to chat about :) if anything im less sociable online, cos this is my 'me' time XD

• Brohoof 2

I know that feeling, I can chat with people in the outside world but online I can barely say hi sometimes.

Isn't that just stupidly ironic or what?

I've been using this site as a way to break the habit and it seems to be working, so I'm grateful to be here.

this really depends, its kinda funny because I have bad social anxiety and panic attacks in large crowds. But I find it quite easy to start a conversation. and I find it also funny that people are drawn to me even though I try not to talk to anyone  :blink:

• Brohoof 1

Well i'm shy, however i've got better over time.

After i'm more comfortable around people i still don't like starting conversations, and am quite bad at it. So it sometimes ends up awkwardly.

However once a conversation is started I can talk your ear off ;p.

until we come to the end of a topic, then i need another conversation spark from someone else, or in the very very rare case me.

For some reason starting conversations is incredibly awkward to me, even if after we have a topic to talk about i can be very rambly and long winded and almost bore people(Or annoy them) with how much i can potentially talk if they allow me to and i can think of enough to say.

I also have to feel comfortable around the person.

• Brohoof 3

I'm assuming you're talking about starting up convos with total strangers and not people you already know.  In which case I'm totally with you.  I have to know of some kind of common interest that we have before I break the ice.