Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Starting up conversations?

Gone Airbourne

What type are you?  

115 users have voted

1. 1. Are you the type of person who would rather start up a conversation or are you more along the shy quiet type who would not initiate a conversation?

• Yes I can start up a conversation no problem and it is easy for me.
    • No I rather would not I tend to hesitate when it comes to sparking a conversation

• 3 months later...
(edited)

I'm an introvert and have a lot of social anxiety which is exactly why I start conversations. So I just walk up to anyone and talk to them, get to know them. My experience with other people has been that a lot of the anxiety you feel is that they will somehow reject your conversation yet no they won't. They'll enjoy having it and you know that's why I have learned to simply go talk to people.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 1

I have been quite good at talking to strangers lately. I usually get them so uncomfortable that they are the ones feeling they need help to start the conversation! spla_sunbutt.png

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I can start conversation only with my friends. Otherwise I feel like I'm very annoying, the person has better things to do instead of talking to me, I feel like I'm disturbing him, etc

• Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

This is why Bars are great because any anxiety goes away after a drink. 

It depends on the other person. Certain people and certain personalities aren’t easy to talk to/interact with. Usually unless I’m forced to (work small talk) I do my best to interact as little as possible with these people. 

If it’s someone I’m interested in talking to I’ll do my best to approach them and make some sort of talk. Naturally I’m nervous but I’m not going to let a possible friendship or more pass by due to my insecurities.

• Brohoof 1

Starting more conversations even if it's just a little compliment to the cashier or whatever has been something I've been practicing at for the past year or so.  I've been trying to become more comfortable with speaking to other people or even trying to start conversations.  I'm still pretty quiet online and I always dread talking to people online because it feels kinda awkward for me but irl?  Loads easier after working through some issues.

I think something that helped me is realizing that not every discussion with people has to be deep or even entertaining, sometimes you can talk to someone about their nail polish or ask about their mask.  I find that people like to talk about stuff they have control over like what they're wearing or how they style their hair, stuff like that when you're not at any particular event like a con.  It's definitely something that requires a bit of effort and practice, while it does feel awkward talking to people I'd rather feel momentarily awkward than to spend the walk home regretting not asking someone about what they're wearing because they looked like a cool person or something.

I can start conversations just fine. I just seldom do it unless I have a specific reason. Often I let others get things started and then I take it from there. But I’ve spent five years at my job starting up hundreds of mini convos a day with LOTS of complete strangers, so I guess it’s something I can do.

• 3 weeks later...