Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Feeling weird about asking for pony merch.

chadmasta5

I have been a brony for over a year now and just asked my mom for some blind bags for Christmas. However I am not very open about being a brony to my family and this would be my first bit of pony merch. She seemed fine in the end ut now I am feeling sick with nervousness for some reason. Is this normal?

• Brohoof 5

Yes it's perfectly normal to feel that way.  Especially when it's something that you haven't told anyone out of fear of being judged or rejected for your interests, it's perfectly normal to feel extremely nervous, sick, or anxious.  Honestly, I always feel very uncomfortable about it around my mother because she has shown her open disapproval of my interest and calls it silly and stupid.  I don't like it, so I tend not to bring it up around her, but it's to the point that everyone in my house knows that I like ponies (I avidly participate in the pony con Everfree Northwest) and we all choose not to say anything about it.

In my opinion, don't be ashamed of it.  It's something you like.  However, if you are uncomfortable about it, don't bring it up unless someone mentions it to you.  That being said, I think you did a perfectly OK thing in telling your mom you wanted pony blind bags.  And in the future, no matter what she thinks of you, you can be a bit more comfortable knowing that she is aware of your interests and you don't have to hide them as much.

• Brohoof 4

I was terrified at the idea of asking for pony merchandise from my spouse, friends and family. My Little Pony up till now has been a very polarizing subject in all my circles. 

Eventually I steeled myself up enough to ask for a Fluttershy vinyl figure which while I got created a bunch of hoopla initially. All that hoopla made me even more nervous and self conscious at the idea of a) being a brony and B) asking for a couple of other MLP related things I would like to have.

This isn't sounding very inspiring so far is it? Believe it or not I am trying to show that things will be fine.

Anyways I decided to take the leap and simply just do it, and when people asked, "Really but isn't this...?" I just confirmed that yes, that is what I want there is no obligation for anyone to get it for me but if they wanted to know then they can make peace with the answer themselves. 

Aside from some light hearted rib-poking the matter very quickly became rather moot as in the end they are my friends and family and it is just a television show. (This has all taken place in the last two weeks since I first found the show). 

If it makes you happy, you aren't rubbing it in everyone's face and it isn't affecting you in a negative way most family will just nod. Though again there may be some light teasing...

• Brohoof 3

I was terrified at the idea of asking for pony merchandise from my spouse, friends and family. My Little Pony up till now has been a very polarizing subject in all my circles. 

Eventually I steeled myself up enough to ask for a Fluttershy vinyl figure which while I got created a bunch of hoopla initially. All that hoopla made me even more nervous and self conscious at the idea of a) being a brony and B) asking for a couple of other MLP related things I would like to have.

This isn't sounding very inspiring so far is it? Believe it or not I am trying to show that things will be fine.

Anyways I decided to take the leap and simply just do it, and when people asked, "Really but isn't this...?" I just confirmed that yes, that is what I want there is no obligation for anyone to get it for me but if they wanted to know then they can make peace with the answer themselves. 

Aside from some light hearted rib-poking the matter very quickly became rather moot as in the end they are my friends and family and it is just a television show. (This has all taken place in the last two weeks since I first found the show). 

If it makes you happy, you aren't rubbing it in everyone's face and it isn't affecting you in a negative way most family will just nod. Though again there may be some light teasing...

Yes it's perfectly normal to feel that way.  Especially when it's something that you haven't told anyone out of fear of being judged or rejected for your interests, it's perfectly normal to feel extremely nervous, sick, or anxious.  Honestly, I always feel very uncomfortable about it around my mother because she has shown her open disapproval of my interest and calls it silly and stupid.  I don't like it, so I tend not to bring it up around her, but it's to the point that everyone in my house knows that I like ponies (I avidly participate in the pony con Everfree Northwest) and we all choose not to say anything about it.

In my opinion, don't be ashamed of it.  It's something you like.  However, if you are uncomfortable about it, don't bring it up unless someone mentions it to you.  That being said, I think you did a perfectly OK thing in telling your mom you wanted pony blind bags.  And in the future, no matter what she thinks of you, you can be a bit more comfortable knowing that she is aware of your interests and you don't have to hide them as much.

Thank you both so much. I am feeling loads better about this whole thing. :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

It completely normal to feel nervous and uneasy about something like this. But you said that you already asked for it and your mom seemed fine with it. If she didn't say anything about it then I'm guessing she won't at all. Either she doesn't care and you'll get the merch or she won't approve and you won't get it. 

Personally I don't know what I would do. If I wanted pony merch I would get it myself so I don't have to worry about asking for it. My issue right now is trying to get to Everfree NW...

If she seemed fine with the idea then it's a good thing, she might slowly get used to the idea now that you've introduced it to her. But if this really does make you uncomfortable then there's no shame in waiting or not bringing it up at all. I don't know how old you are but you could always just ask for money and go get them yourself. 

• Brohoof 2

• 5 weeks later...

It is very very normal to feel the way you do. I know I sure did feel the same when I introduced my parents that I'm a brony. You did say you already asked for it and if your mom didn't really react, it's either she doesn't care or cares and doesn't approve. Overall I think your mom approves. I could always be wrong but I don't know. Good luck!  ;)

I think it is normal to feel the way you do. Since you already asked for it and your mom didn't react, she is either okay with you getting your pony merchandise or she doesn't really care. Best of luck to you! :)

There is a simple solution to this feeling.

Whenever approaching a family member or friend about pony stuff, just show them the 15 second clip of Equestria Girls when Pinkie transforms using the actual Transformer sound effect.

This is a 95% effective way of proving FiM is awesome in a very quick and painless manner. The 5% is like, when the person also thinks G1 Transformers is lame and who cares about that tiny boring section of the Venn diagram. :P

Behold example:

Cool friend: Umm. Apparently you erm...enjoy...my little pony?? O.o

You: Yeah! Look, here's a clip of the show!

(Pinkie Pie scene)

Cool friend: O.M.G. That! Was! Awesome! I like totally thought you were a lame girly person but that like totally proved me wrong.

You: (Pinkie Pie smile noise). What's wrong with being girly? Now go buy me those CCG cards NAO!

THE END

You have nothing to worry about my family wouldi f i asked its just that with my family they find it strange its only my brother that just wants nothing to do with me when im watching the show or drawing mlp but you have nothing to worry about ive even went to the shops and bought my self some stuff they stared at me like WTF but i still walked away a proud BRONY AS WAYS REMEMBER BRONY AND PROUD. also i agree with casbyness

Edited by TheFirstShadowFIre

That's understandable. I mean imagine going up to your parents and asking, "May I please by that my little pony figure to put on my shelf?" You really just got to suck it up, and tell them it's a great show, and then they'll probably listen to you. My mom says she honestly doesn't get the pony fad but she still buys me merch. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.. I just had to comment. As the mom of a little boy, I have never enforced the stigma of "girls play with dolls and boys play with cars" garbage. I think it's just silly. I am more into MLP than he is, but I love that he shares the joy with me. He plays with my (*ahem* OUR) ponies more than I do, and I never for a second thought it was weird or strange. Even if he was all about Barbie and Strawberry Shortcake, he's still my baby! Who cares! :squee:

I'm sorry some of you face this stigma in your lives. I honestly just watched the Brony doc the other day and was saddened by how people were reacting in that first segment, especially the news people. No brohoof for them!!  >_>

• Brohoof 1

• 7 years later...